KICKing and PUNCHing 07/24/2011 09:17 PM CDT
Why is it when you kick or punch when another critter enters a room, the attack doesn't default to the critter you were attacking at the time the new critter entered? Yet other combat commands used in brawling seem to work fine when that happens? Could we please have this fixed so punching and kicking will always work against the critter you've been facing, regardless if another critter enters?
Re: KICKing and PUNCHing 07/24/2011 09:48 PM CDT
>Why is it when you kick or punch when another critter enters a room, the attack doesn't default to the critter you were attacking at the time the new critter entered? Yet other combat commands used in brawling seem to work fine when that happens? Could we please have this fixed so punching and kicking will always work against the critter you've been facing, regardless if another critter enters?

It may have something to do with kick/punch/slap being non-combat (that is, slap bob, kick john, punch ren) actions as well?
Re: KICKing and PUNCHing 07/24/2011 10:20 PM CDT
It's been a problem for a while, but recently I've come within reach of death a number of times because my attacks were foiled by this error. As I said, wish this was fixed.
Re: KICKing and PUNCHing 07/24/2011 10:24 PM CDT
I've always had kick and punch default to what i'm facing, even in giant swarms...
Re: KICKing and PUNCHing 07/24/2011 10:42 PM CDT
I just use ATTACK and ATTACK LEFT and have zero issues. Even before I stopped using explicit combos, however, I had punch and kick in a combo and never had that issue.

The only times I've ever had weirdness with a choice of target is immediately after something dies, and the auto-face makes me face a target that's advancing rather than one that's already at melee. And even then, I haven't seen this in a long while.

-Evran

[16:15] Chatter[Xxxxxx] just died while mining in prime - good times
[16:17] Chatter[Xxxxxx] Did a beisswurm getcha?
[16:17] Chatter[Xxxxxx] I hear they're pretty mean
Re: KICKing and PUNCHing 07/24/2011 10:46 PM CDT
> I've always had kick and punch default to what i'm facing, even in giant swarms...

Agreed. I'm brawling primary with claw/kick/punch as my combo of choice, and I've never experienced it.
Re: KICKing and PUNCHing 07/25/2011 04:52 AM CDT
<<Agreed. I'm brawling primary with claw/kick/punch as my combo of choice, and I've never experienced it.

Chiming in to say I've only ever experienced when unengaged or had just retreated (out of combat).
Re: KICKing and PUNCHing 07/25/2011 06:59 AM CDT
I experience this every single day. I am an empath and brawling is my primary. Granted I have to always use the critter name after my attack but if another comes in and the numbering shifts kick and punch give the non-combat messaging. I've tried fighting with brawling on and with brawling off and there is no difference that I can see.

Syllanthis
Re: KICKing and PUNCHing 07/25/2011 07:22 AM CDT
>Granted I have to always use the critter name

might be the issue. Why are you using the critter name?

>brawling mode

I thought the mode was removed entirely from the game when brawling was normalized.
Re: KICKing and PUNCHing 07/25/2011 08:11 AM CDT
>>critter name

This is your problem right here.

Every time a new creature enters the room, for whatever reason, the number of the foe is re-calculated. In other words, if you have one goblin facing you and another goblin walks in, the goblin at melee with you may very well become goblin #2. You will notice this if you ASSESS your combat situation often.

Trying to keep track ("punch third goblin, kick third goblin") will probably give you an aneurism, because like a game of cruel and sadistic musical chairs, the goblin which is actually #3 changes every time one of them leans lightly to one side or leaves for a smoke break. If you just use PUNCH and KICK, with no critter specified, the system will assume you want to keep attacking the creature completely in front of it. If the creature dies, it will also default to another creature at melee, versus say one advaning from missile.

In other words, there's no reason to specify a creature when attacking. The same is actually true for arranging, skinning, or Necromanticizing a corpse.
Re: KICKing and PUNCHing 07/25/2011 08:17 AM CDT
Double post hurray!

Forgot to mention that the reason specifying a creature is problematic is because when you type in PUNCH GOBLIN the thing the system sees is actually PUNCH (first) GOBLIN. Combine this with the goblin-shuffling I mentioned and you get the problem you are having: you dying trying (and failing) to attack the creature at your flank because the system's too busy sulking in a corner cause you yelled at it to realize you don't want goblin #1 scratching his num at missile, you actually want goblin #2 at your flank, even though it never explicitly told it renumbered them.
Re: KICKing and PUNCHing 07/25/2011 10:16 AM CDT
Empaths are required to do that when attacking. There is no way around it. If I type brawl it toggles between you are avoiding offensive brawling maneuvers versus you are allowing offensive brawling maneuvers.
Re: KICKing and PUNCHing 07/26/2011 11:52 AM CDT
If you haven't already, try using your left side in the commands. It's been a while since I bothered brawling a construct, but I seem to recall PUNCH LEFT <creature> or whichever order that goes in recognizing that you're actually trying to attack the thing and not roleplay with it. Since brawling is a full-body endeavor, there is no offhand weapon skill involved when doing this.

Thanks,
-Life Sustainer Karthor