Elemental Arrows Missing Messaging 07/19/2017 09:45 PM CDT
I've tried the various elemental arrows, but none of them ever show damage either than normal damage. I remember posts a while back that had specific elemental messaging, like legs freezing solid and cracking and things like that.

Is there something that must be done to elemental arrows and bolts beforehand to trigger elemental messaging? As it is, I can't be sure they're even doing elemental damage. I've used them off and on for a long time, many hundreds of shots. I even bought some newer ones to compare, and it's the same story.

Bard Lydaiva's (and others) player
Re: Elemental Arrows Missing Messaging 07/19/2017 11:50 PM CDT
One thing to check is that you aren't shooting something immune to an element with that type of arrow/bolt (ie sky giants and storm bulls vs electricity). But mine definitely work.

With ice-adder arrows vs storm bulls.

The arrow lands an awesome strike (12/23) that painfully numbs the toes of the left foot.
The arrow lands a powerful strike (10/23) that painfully numbs the left arm.
The arrow lands a demolishing hit (15/23) that shatters the bull's frozen leg so only a jagged shard remains.The arrow lands an earth-shaking strike (14/23) that causes the bull's eyes to bulge in pain as chunks of flesh flash-freeze to the ice-adder arrow and rip free.
The arrow lands a massive strike (11/23) that cools skin and chills bone with a frost-covered blow to the right leg, lightly stunning it.
The arrow lands a demolishing hit (15/23) that instantly chills and covers the the right eye with frost, knocking it completely senseless.
The arrow lands an earth-shaking strike (14/23) that collapses the bull's frozen face causing the left eye to shatter deep within the skull.

You slap Voldag hard in the face with your hand, making a nice crisp smack!! That's going to leave a mark!
Re: Elemental Arrows Missing Messaging 07/19/2017 11:55 PM CDT
oh and..
The arrow lands a massive strike (11/23) (11/23) that shatters the bull's chest into a hail of ice shards as ice-adder arrow trails blood-soaked hoarfrost in the wake.

*hoarfrost
a grayish-white crystalline deposit of frozen water vapor formed in clear still weather on vegetation, fences, etc.

I love when DR teaches me some new word.

You slap Voldag hard in the face with your hand, making a nice crisp smack!! That's going to leave a mark!
Re: Elemental Arrows Missing Messaging 07/20/2017 01:01 AM CDT
I've tried all three arrow types against a mix of critters. Some I set up to make sure they were vulnerable to the arrow type, such as ice-adder arrows against firecats and fire sprites. I've never seen any elemental messaging, just the normal damage hits.

The character is a barbarian; are elemental arrows considered magic maybe? And don't work for barbs? That doesn't seem likely. I also don't think it's a rank thing, but I have 195 ranks in bow. The arrows all app normally, but I can't analyze them.

Other than that, I'm stumped.

Re: Elemental Arrows Missing Messaging 07/20/2017 01:18 AM CDT
Do you have CombatBrief or BattleBrief set? Not sure if those would do it, just spitballing.
Re: Elemental Arrows Missing Messaging 07/20/2017 02:43 AM CDT
I forgot to mention it, but I have full messaging set. I'm pretty much out of ideas except to assist, although it seems ridiculous it's a bug.

Re: Elemental Arrows Missing Messaging 07/20/2017 11:32 PM CDT
I assisted and and the host suggested bugging it. I went hunting again before doing that, but now my ice-adder arrows are suddenly messaging beautifully. I haven't yet checked my electric and flame ammo, but I am paying attention to the wo/man behind the curtain and saying thanks.