Bows - SOI vs Shield Penalty 04/17/2016 03:12 PM CDT

This discussion is a cross-post from another thread in the Warrior Mage folder, but I am posting it here since I did not find the answers I was looking for (although it had some good, but brief, discussion.) The conversation thus far can be found here: http://forums.play.net/forums/DragonRealms/The%20Warrior%20Mages/Weapons,%20Armor,%20and%20Tactics%20-%20Warrior%20Mage%20Style/thread/1775606?get_newest=true

Here is the question:

I had a question regarding bows for warrior mages. I train bow on my warrior mage since it falls within SOI (meaning it can receive a 20% buff with a capped Tailwind), and have considered escalating my training on it to bring it more in line for PVP. However, since warrior mages are armor (thus, shield) tert, we receive a penalty when loading/firing bows with an arm worn small shield. So, the question here is..

Does anyone know if the Tailwind 20% bonus outweighs the penalty of shield/bow when compared to Crossbow, Sling, HT, and LT, that only receive a Tailwind 15% bonus (due to none of them being in SOI) but they do not receive a shield penalty?

If not, I find it a bit of a shame that our only ranged SOI suffers from a shield penalty - especially since shield is so crucial in the 3.0 combat environment. Would it be possible for crossbow or HT be added into SOI if that's the case?
Re: Bows - SOI vs Shield Penalty 04/17/2016 03:24 PM CDT
>>Does anyone know if the Tailwind 20% bonus outweighs the penalty of shield/bow when compared to Crossbow, Sling, HT, and LT, that only receive a Tailwind 15% bonus (due to none of them being in SOI) but they do not receive a shield penalty?

I haven't tested exactly what you are asking, but going by what I have experienced with the skill gap that I have that I described in your original thread I'm pretty confident that the extra 5% skillboost from Bows being in SoI would not make up for the shield penalty that it incurs.
Re: Bows - SOI vs Shield Penalty 04/17/2016 03:36 PM CDT

> If not, I find it a bit of a shame that our only ranged SOI suffers from a shield penalty

Targeted magic is a ranged attack within your SOI.

Also, keep in mind the entire kit rather than specific abilities. Warrior mages have the capability to put out a lot of damage between cyclic TM + straight TM + ranged weapons + buffs. You can also delve into other guilds books (Rage of the Clans - get it) to further boost your offensive power. It makes sense that your defensive prowess wouldn't be as strong as an armor centric guild.
Re: Bows - SOI vs Shield Penalty 04/17/2016 03:47 PM CDT

>>Targeted magic is a ranged attack within your SOI.

Fair.

>>Also, keep in mind the entire kit rather than specific abilities.

I am aware. However, even with all that factored in, I still find it odd that our only ranged weapon that falls in our SOI is one we receive a penalty for on having an armworn shield.

>>It makes sense that your defensive prowess wouldn't be as strong as an armor centric guild.

I'm not talking about defenses here, I'm discussing the penalty that you get when firing a bow with an armworn shield.

Example:

Your attempt is slightly hindered by your <shield>.
< You fire a boar-tusk arrow at a <creature>. A <creature> attempts to dodge.

Warrior mages only ranged physical weapon in SOI is bow. Buffing that gets 20%, but with the shield penalty, I'm questioning if the overall bonus is higher than just shooting a crossbow while only getting a 15% buff out of that.

>>I'm pretty confident that the extra 5% skillboost from Bows being in SoI would not make up for the shield penalty that it incurs.

That's what I think so far as well, was just hoping to get something more concrete.
Re: Bows - SOI vs Shield Penalty 04/17/2016 03:47 PM CDT
Having tested this with a worn medium shield as a barbarian here are my thoughts. Take them with a grain of salt.

My bow load time increased.
My aim time increased slightly (this may not be a penalty but more a random affect)
My damage over time did not change.

As for comparing to crossbow, sling, HT/LT I'd say it's all in the preference. If you are a stealthy finger waggler then using a bow from hiding is the way to go. If not, I'd say it depends on if you've trained a ton of bow skill compared to the other skills. If so, it's a no brainer go small shield + bow. If not, well then it's up to your play style.

Rhadyn da Dwarb - Blood for fire!

Barbarian Guild Suggestions
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1h4L5hAxR1-VLDegDNZBIhGdo5bMgnCtm84Icm2E0utU/edit#gid=0
Re: Bows - SOI vs Shield Penalty 04/17/2016 04:15 PM CDT
I would support a change to the SOI if only to stop reading this thread again every few months.

Re: Life mana Spell preps

You raise your hands in the air. You wave them like you just don't care. Somebody says, "Hey!" Somebody says, "Ho!" Somebody screams.
Re: Bows - SOI vs Shield Penalty 04/17/2016 05:26 PM CDT
> I am aware. However, even with all that factored in, I still find it odd that our only ranged weapon that falls in our SOI is one we receive a penalty for on having an armworn shield.

That's a fair point. I wonder if the GMs would be open to removing the penalty when Aegis of Granite is active, or just giving Warrior Mages Bows + either slings or crossbows if that's too difficult (thematically or technically).

> I'm not talking about defenses here, I'm discussing the penalty that you get when firing a bow with an armworn shield.

I'm still trying to catch up to everything that is 3.0, but didn't the penalty also debuff your defenses?

Either way, You can give yourself a decent OF buff that (I believe) exceeds the penalty if you pick up a Rage of the Clans scroll. Does that solve your concern of using a bow? Yes, you could do even more damage if a crossbow was in your SOI, but you're talking about a difference of 50 ranks at 1000 base. If you're that concerned about the penalty then reroll a ranger for double load + snipe or a barbarian for that + prime learning rates + hiding in your secondary skillset.
Re: Bows - SOI vs Shield Penalty 04/17/2016 06:32 PM CDT
>I wonder if the GMs would be open to removing the penalty when...

How about removing the worn penalty like this.

Armor prime:
Large shield
Medium shield
Small shield

Armor Secondary (BOW SOI):
Medium shield
Small shield

Armor Tertiary (BOW SOI or Shield SOI):
Small shield

That would fix it for everyone and make it inline with SOI

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1h4L5hAxR1-VLDegDNZBIhGdo5bMgnCtm84Icm2E0utU/edit#gid=0
Re: Bows - SOI vs Shield Penalty 04/18/2016 07:25 AM CDT
I would prefer we just nix the penalty to stick bows with shield use. Or, at least, let it be removed with ranks in Shield/Bow. Also, let guilds other than Rangers and Barbarians have the load-from-hand bonus when using a quiver after so many ranks.
Re: Bows - SOI vs Shield Penalty 04/18/2016 07:46 AM CDT

> I would prefer we just nix the penalty to stick bows with shield use. Or, at least, let it be removed with ranks in Shield/Bow. Also, let guilds other than Rangers and Barbarians have the load-from-hand bonus when using a quiver after so many ranks.

I'd agree with this, but I'd go in a different direction. Paladins, as armor prime and weapons secondary, should get the bonus. Maybe traders as well to offset the trader weakeness and due to armor secondary. I understand clerics are effectively treated as a defensive secondary guild, and warrior mages as well due to guild flavor. That's fine, but they shouldn't inherently gain the few perks of other skillsets in addition to the perks of their own.
Re: Bows - SOI vs Shield Penalty 04/18/2016 09:03 AM CDT
>>Paladins, as armor prime and weapons secondary, should get the bonus. Maybe traders as well to offset the trader weakeness and due to armor secondary.

Paladin's can avoid the shield penalty with bows if they wear a medium shield, but they don't get any other advantages/skill boosts to make it worth using a smaller shield just to use a bow. Traders aren't included even though they are Armor secondary. It would be nice if they were.
Re: Bows - SOI vs Shield Penalty 04/18/2016 03:14 PM CDT
The RT reduction for loading from a quiver isn't even a skillset perk, though. It's stat based, and only available to Rangers and Barbarians. Crossbow load RT reductions are skill and stat based. Right now, there's no reason for anyone that's not a Barb or a Ranger to use a stick bow. Crossbows are about to be craftable, don't come with a penalty to defense and offense, and light crossbows leave the left hand free to attack while aiming. That doesn't seem right. It also doesn't seem right that paladins are the only ones that wear plate and (sometimes) use large shields, but that's for another topic.
Re: Bows - SOI vs Shield Penalty 04/18/2016 06:57 PM CDT
<<The RT reduction for loading from a quiver isn't even a skillset perk, though. It's stat based, and only available to Rangers and Barbarians.

Technically, it's weapon primary plus Rangers because they're good with bows. It's just hard to identify a weapon primary (or armor primary) ability because there's only one guild of that type, and vice versa. Other examples in a similar vein include Dual Load for the same reasons. Invisibility is survival prime plus Moon Mages because it clearly fits them. SLIP is a survival primary perk plus Bards because of legacy abilities. Stackable thrown RT reductions are weapon primary plus Thieves/Bards because it fits their style. There's probably a few more like these too.
Re: Bows - SOI vs Shield Penalty 04/18/2016 09:18 PM CDT
With stackable thrown weapons, everyone gets extra blades thrown, Bards/Thieves/Barbarians just get access sooner. Weapon Prime and Armor prime definitely need their own perks. I'm just not sure 'being able to use stick bows' should be part of that.
Re: Bows - SOI vs Shield Penalty 04/18/2016 09:29 PM CDT
Yeah, I meant skill reductions. Was typing on my phone.

<< I'm just not sure 'being able to use stick bows' should be part of that.

It's part of the whole 'weapon primary has access to every weapon perk' thing, not a thing on its own. Stick bows have a perk for load times from quivers, ergo weapon primary barbarians have it.
Re: Bows - SOI vs Shield Penalty 04/20/2016 07:08 PM CDT
is it a bow issue? seems to me its more of a shield issue. shield size being one of the few pieces of equipment determined by skillset.
-Munch-
Re: Bows - SOI vs Shield Penalty 04/21/2016 09:57 AM CDT
>is it a bow issue? seems to me its more of a shield issue. shield size being one of the few pieces of equipment determined by skillset.

I think it's a bit of both. Depends on how you look at it. The solution to the question in this thread is definitely shield based but it relates directly to BOW and SOI (both weapon and armor).