which bow? 06/26/2015 01:49 PM CDT
Hi all. I'm a bit of a novice player and looking for advice on which bow to use. I have an old capped silverwood for my 28th circle ranger. Only 75 in bows. My strenth/agile are both pretty close. Should I try to upgrade my bow to a newer bow. Battle bow or nisha? Is there a concensus on which will teach better. I also have some old claw arrows I got from an invasion that seem to hit kind hard?

For the bow. If you recommend the battle bow, would it be alright if I made it from maple or ash? I've got a bunch of that in my vault. I'm willing to travel to a new lumberjack in spot if you recommend one. My outdoorsman ship is about 125 so I can't see wood types before I chop.
Re: which bow? 07/04/2015 12:09 AM CDT
What type of bow you want is going to completely depend on how you enjoy your style of play. Battle bows are powerful, but slower for their types, as well as less balanced. The Nisha is fast, but will hit less hard for shortbows. These can all be adjusted slightly too. And each bow type is it's own class, which heavily dictates power, but has a fair range of overlap as well.

Old arrows are still fairly good. I don't think they changed too much. But new arrows have different damage setups. Some being more heavy on slice instead, others adding elemental aspects but with some physical sacrifice. Your old wood probably will not work. I don't think it's viewed at as a valid material by the new crafting system. So you will have to go and lumberjack yourself some wood, or purchase it from others who have already done so. You can lumberjack most areas designated as "forests", however not all areas are included. Hopefully this system may expand a little more to include more areas.

As far as type of wood you want to use. You can use anything you want. If you want to see how well one type performs for a certain type of bow, it's probably best to reference the Elanthipedia materials page. It will help you get info on all aspects of a material and it's suitedness for different types of use.

~Van
Re: which bow? 07/04/2015 12:58 PM CDT
I play over in Plat and we don't have any one that can carve the highest comp bows yet. Myself and a few others all agree though that short bows just don't weigh in enough to be used.

Reasoning-
RT from short to long is so close better off with a longbow
Aim times are all the same so power of longbows is better
Lightening a longbow you get more power and basically the load time of short bow
Plink Plink Plink Plink < Pew Pew (and maybe another Pew sometimes)

Comp bow basically has these reasons on the longbows too. So it looks like everyone will just go comp bow (unless some RP reasoning) Combining all bows to 1 skill and the differentiation with base load times being 3/4/5 and aim time being the same for all just makes any bow user looking for bang for buck go straight to a comp bow.

[20:11] Chatter[Arathael] Usually only get skill when it's successful.
[20:13] Chatter[Morpion] Thats why Arathael has 0.00 ranks in Getting Girls
[20:14] Chatter[Arathael] =(
Re: which bow? 07/04/2015 04:46 PM CDT
Most people I've talked to in prime see it exactly the opposite of what you just described.

A Nisha short bow can be lightened for a load of 1RT...2RT for dual load. My testing seems to show Nisha's the go to for new bows for balance.

A battle long has a 4-5 load with cable backing if you go for brute power. I haven't seen a big difference when comparing with a Nisha (though I am backtraining...I can't test it at level).

Comps are basically the same template as longbows...so no real reason to use them for the extra unneeded RT if you can pack the same punch with a longbow.

IMO, the templates are just too similar to make that much of a difference. Even with ultra rare woods...you see one higher ping on the stat.

The huge advantage for super rare wood is the incredible weight differences.
Re: which bow? 07/04/2015 06:44 PM CDT
I know from my toying with short bows (only at 296 ranks now) using a lightened mistwood battle bow and a cable backed battle bow the damage was very underwhelming and took about 10 minutes to lock with either. Using a lightened sturdy longbow it hits way harder has 2/4 load time without shield and lock bow in 7-8 min. Using a cable back backed mistwood longbow results were about the same as lightened time wise.

Our highest Barb with just under 1k bow, I think, tried a bunch of different ones and basically comp bow was best damage and time it takes to lock.

My opinion is the RT, suitedness, balance seems to carry over too much to really differentiate the new bow system and might as well just use the comp bows since 2-3 powerful shots is better training wise and experience wise then 4-6 low powered shows with a short bow unless its RP value. Longbows are there in the middle filling in if you can't get comp bow made yet.

My agility and strength are both 70 right now so balance/suitedness get the same impact on my shots fired depending on what way the bows stats are right?

Re: which bow? 07/04/2015 06:52 PM CDT
Sorry double post.

If aim times for each type of bow went short bow < longbow < comp bow I would see how that impacted using different ones. But with all being equal short bows are the staff sling of the new bow system in my eyes.

Re: which bow? 07/06/2015 10:34 AM CDT
Thanks for your responses so far. It seems like people here and in game seem equally divided about fast bows vs power.

I did some testing with some 85 quality wood bows and found that I got overwhelming shots on Composite bows and hard-very hard on the short bow. While that may be better training(?) it seemed like it still took 3 shots for bloodwolves, 4 for crocodiles and 5 for dire bears regardless of the bow/shot success.

I may not have enough data to really see the difference, but the thought my bowmaker had was that if its going to take me the same number of shots, might as well pick the bow with the lower RT.

For now, I ended up getting a silverwood Forester bow. It seemed pretty similar to the nisha but with an extra point of FOI and Power. My RT is 2 or 3 seconds with a shield, 1-2 without a shield. I haven't lightened it yet.
Re: which bow? 07/06/2015 11:18 AM CDT
>I may not have enough data to really see the difference, but the thought my bowmaker had was that if its going to take me the same number of shots, might as well pick the bow with the lower RT.

This. If something has 100 HP and bow 1 does 49 damage per shot and bow 2 does 33 damage per shot each bow will take 3 shots to kill even though bow 1 does 50% more damage.

Don't forget to vote:

http://www.topmudsites.com/vote-DragonRealms.html
Re: which bow? 07/06/2015 11:58 AM CDT
> If something has 100 HP and bow 1 does 49 damage per shot and bow 2 does 33 damage per shot each bow will take 3 shots to kill even though bow 1 does 50% more damage.

IMO, this is "point in time" analysis. Unless you are making your own bows and/or don't mind the cost of buying a different bow later then going with the higher damage bow is always the best choice for PVE and experience gain over time. This is especially true as your ranks/stats improve over time as well.

Rhadyn da Dwarb - Blood for fire!
Re: which bow? 07/06/2015 06:36 PM CDT
>This is especially true as your ranks/stats improve over time as well.

Wouldn't this depend on how they train stats individually really?? If they are a Gnome for instance the +3 to strength would def have me leaning toward balanced bows until later stages when prob end up training strength more.

Re: which bow? 07/07/2015 01:04 PM CDT
>>Wouldn't this depend on how they train stats individually really??

Absolutely correct. So comp bow isn't "always" the best choice but in general the roundtime/damage/experience gain would be better with a comp bow with high draw strength. Remember also that as a character progresses (in general for most guilds) abilities/spells become available to increase the effectiveness of your weapon as well.

We'll see how it plays out since the new bows have just arrived though. As always, I could be wrong but being wrong in this regard shouldn't kill anyone. Lalala

Rhadyn da Dwarb - Blood for fire!