bow upgraded yet? 06/19/2015 09:07 PM CDT

i was just wondering if a reinforced elder hirdu bow has been updated or what ever. with 500+ in bow it took me 6 shots (on average) to take down a bobcat when i was trying to thin them out for my barb. is this something that i should just expect and resign myself to trade up for a longbow or a compbow? The character shooting was a 125th ranger with a 90 mana STW up sniping with full aim.

Luach
Re: bow upgraded yet? 06/19/2015 09:15 PM CDT
forgot to mention i was using pre change capped basalisk head arrows.

Luach
Re: bow upgraded yet? 06/20/2015 08:02 AM CDT
<<is this something that i should just expect and resign myself to trade up for a longbow or a compbow? The character shooting was a 125th ranger with a 90 mana STW up sniping with full aim.>>

I've noticed the same this myself. I used to take mature forest gryphons in 2 snipes using dual load. Last night I was taking 3 snipes to kill them, still using dual load. This with ~65 Mana STW up in both instances. I am using a older almost capped copperwood longbow. Zinaca and I talked a bit about it last night and she's seeing the same thing as well. Guess it could be just some bad luck on lighter hits overall, but it feels to me that the hits overall are lighter.

Bluefalcon
Re: bow upgraded yet? 06/20/2015 08:08 AM CDT
>>i was just wondering if a reinforced elder hirdu bow has been updated or what ever.

The old reduced load bows (not just short bows) have lost a lot of power in the new system. I believe the only bows that are going to be updated are bows that have some kind of magic or script attached to them. AFAIK the hirdu bow isn't one of those, so I would suggest upgrading to a new bow from Shaping. The same thing happened when Weaponsmithing was released.

It can be easy to be upset because your favorite toys aren't good anymore, but the new bows are far superior to old bows, and the stats actually make sense now.
Re: bow upgraded yet? 06/20/2015 12:21 PM CDT
im really not upset to be honest. just means i will have to wait until i can get my hands on a new bow before i go do any real training. its only plats after all and i was out of stuff to spend them on anyways :-)

Luach
Re: bow upgraded yet? 06/20/2015 02:42 PM CDT
>>just means i will have to wait until i can get my hands on a new bow before i go do any real training.

You can train with the hirdu bow. It will teach like any other bow, but your kill rate will decline.

>> its only plats after all and i was out of stuff to spend them on anyways :-)

Ask around. There are still some people making bows for free for testing purposes. Especially if you harvest and prepare the wood yourself, and provide the crafter with it. I have been replacing old bows with new bows made from common wood for free also. I'll keep an eye out for you in game.
Re: bow upgraded yet? 06/20/2015 04:00 PM CDT
here's a few with appropriate 85 affinity (steel basically) wood

the battle bow's have higher suitedness and appear to have more overall total #'s so they're popular, competition is crazily balanced, foresters seems comparable to the old fletched ones, and the basic early designs don't seem as good. There's a few like recurver and stuff where they trade FOI for other stuff. and draw strength/RT is variable on wood, randomness, etc.
I hadn't made any comp bows yet, but I'd prolly go with a more balanced/lightened one to try and get more of that longbow RT over the comp bows.

The competition shortbow is fairly (5/17) designed for improving the force of your attacks.

You are certain that the shortbow is excellently (10/15) balanced and is reasonably (7/15) suited for adding attack power from its draw strength.
The shortbow appears set for a draw strength that is extremely low for a bow of this type.

LIGHTENED
The battle shortbow is well (9/17) designed for improving the force of your attacks.

You are certain that the shortbow is very well balanced and is soundly (8/15) suited for adding attack power from its draw strength.
The shortbow appears set for a draw strength that is somewhat high for a bow of this type.

CABLE-BACKED
The battle shortbow is well (9/17) designed for improving the force of your attacks.

You are certain that the shortbow is well (9/15) balanced and is well (9/15) suited for adding attack power from its draw strength.
The shortbow appears set for a draw strength that is exceptionally high for a bow of this type.

The self bow is soundly (8/17) designed for improving the force of your attacks.

You are certain that the bow is well (9/15) balanced and is well (9/15) suited for adding attack power from its draw strength.

The recurve longbow is very well (10/17) designed for improving the force of your attacks.

You are certain that the longbow is soundly (8/15) balanced and is soundly (8/15) suited for adding attack power from its draw strength.
The longbow appears set for a draw strength that is average for a bow of this type.

The forester's longbow is well (9/17) designed for improving the force of your attacks.

You are certain that the longbow is soundly (8/15) balanced and is very well suited for adding attack power from its draw strength.
The longbow appears set for a draw strength that is average for a bow of this type.

The competition longbow is soundly (8/17) designed for improving the force of your attacks.

You are certain that the longbow is very well balanced and is soundly (8/15) suited for adding attack power from its draw strength.
The longbow appears set for a draw strength that is extremely low for a bow of this type.

Re: bow upgraded yet? 06/20/2015 04:03 PM CDT
also most of those I lightened or cable-backed to move it more toward 'average', sometimes there was a noticable stat change, sometimes not.
Re: bow upgraded yet? 06/20/2015 04:16 PM CDT
And my number subs are out of date too.. So ignore those

Re: bow upgraded yet? 06/20/2015 07:12 PM CDT
>I believe the only bows that are going to be updated are bows that have some kind of magic or script attached to them.

He also said verby bows, although I'm thinking the verbs are part of a script attached to the bow. I have one of those that was altered, so would be unfortunate to not be able to use it. That said, I'll probably also look into getting a new bow as well.