Bow Training is Wonky 01/20/2013 11:49 AM CST
190 in bows, and 222 missiles, 55 agility;
In fledgling gryphons I can't hit them, at all, with a capped hunters shortbow at full aim (at all; I haven't landed a single shot), but I'm still training Bows and Missile quite well. From a training perspective, I'm kind of alright with this (no lodged arrows!), but it's a pretty significant reduction to the amount of kills I'm working with.
Re: Bow Training is Wonky 01/20/2013 12:59 PM CST
Misses will teach in 3.0, though it is possible the exp is too high (it depends on your aim time and load time of the bow, so quicker bows give less exp per shot).

Those gryphons have about 8% more defenses than you (assuming a full aim), so that is why you miss most of the time. You'll hit about 2-in-3 once your skills are even.

The appraise...

You are certain that the forest gryphon is very beat up.
You aren't sure enough to venture a guess on its abilities.
You weren't able to observe long enough to even guess at its offensive skill.
Taking stock of its defensive abilities, and attacking with a broadsword, you wonder if the forest gryphon is a somewhat skilled opponent.
If you attacked with a broadsword you are certain that the enemy would train very well, provided you can land a blow.

So yeah, I'm thinking the exp from misses could be too high. How long to mind lock for you?

"I have no data yet. It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. Insensibly one begins to twist facts to suit theories instead of theories to suit facts."
- Sir Arthur Conan Doyle, Sherlock Holmes
Re: Bow Training is Wonky 01/20/2013 02:23 PM CST
Why is the miss probability at level 33%? That seems crazy high relative to other weapons.
Re: Bow Training is Wonky 01/20/2013 02:27 PM CST
All weapons use the same formula. Identically. If your OF = DEF and DEF = OF, you each have about a 66% chance of hitting each other. Several factors play in to this, so it isn't a hard 66%.

Weapons train to somewhere between 30-50% beyond what the enemy's defenses were. This means most people hunt with 20% more skill than the enemy, and still learn excellently, and have increased their to-hit into the high 90s, and reduced the chance to be hit into the low 10s.

Now I don't know entirely how EXP falls into this, but it should be very close. Bows are bit odd because we base the exp partially off the hit and partially off how long it took to hit them, so full-aims are not penalized but rather bonused with exp.

"I have no data yet. It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. Insensibly one begins to twist facts to suit theories instead of theories to suit facts."
Re: Bow Training is Wonky 01/20/2013 03:00 PM CST
It doesn't seem equitable given that it takes so much longer to get a bow/crossbow shot off.
Re: Bow Training is Wonky 01/20/2013 03:13 PM CST
Full aim does give a nice bonus to OF, which directly increases your to-hit. DPS on bows is balanced assuming now bonuses.

If a generic sword hit does 10 damage and takes 5 seconds, and a bow shot load/aim/fire takes 10 seconds, we make sure it does 20 damage. Which is actually better than 200% damage because of the way armor works (harder hits penetrate better). Add in the full aim bonus and you have nothing to worry about.

Even better you can snap shot bows (something other weapons do not have).

Re: Bow Training is Wonky 01/20/2013 03:23 PM CST
<<Even better you can snap shot bows (something other weapons do not have).>>

In theory. In practice, at level, snap shots don't make contact... pretty much ever. Did plat get rolled over to the new damage tweaks for bows? Maybe I'm just basing all of this on something incomplete.
Re: Bow Training is Wonky 01/20/2013 03:34 PM CST
We've run into problems trying to sync Plat. Right now its about a 5 hour effort me to do it by hand, so I think we are going to speed up the rollout to TF and then sync everything in the game. As it is, with the deploy to Prime I lost the better part of a day of digging to figure out what was missed :(

Re: Bow Training is Wonky 01/20/2013 03:39 PM CST
Ah, ok. Actually makes me feel better, since I have high hopes for the damage modifier and aiming making using a bow a better experience. I'll stop complaining. Any chance you can post a quick blurb on the plat boards once the changes go in?
Re: Bow Training is Wonky 01/20/2013 04:37 PM CST
Certainly!

Re: Bow Training is Wonky 01/22/2013 12:02 PM CST
ok I did took two approaches:

Hunting resuscitants(which I can dodge fine with 2 on me w/0 a second defense) with buffs up, usually.

1.) Uses a shield, take the offensive penalty and learn a little shield in the process. You'll miss more, hit less hard, and take longer to kill, but you should be pretty safe, even in a swarm, as long as you don't get in over you head. Took awhile to learn exp though.

or

2.) No shield, Hangback(no retreat penalty), the RT spam is a bit annoying but you can be fast or set something up, but it worked really really well, I was able to do 1-2 hit kills like before and it trained a lot quicker(harder shots=more exp), it was more dangerous, and I had to retreat or kill them off if I got swarmed, but for the most part I was able to dodge one at melee, and hangback from 2 at at time. Retreat if you have to, and circle or something to kill the time before the penalty drops.

Bonus tips:

- Circle or Weave before you shoot, shove works too.

- For War Mages, cast ROS at pole, hangback, retreat to missle, any that try to advanced or get to pole just get eaten up while you're safely aiming.

Personally I don't mind the danger for exp trade-off, brings back the danger I miss from over hunting all the time.
Re: Bow Training is Wonky 01/24/2013 12:00 AM CST
1-2 hitting an enemy should not be possible. How much skill do you have?

Re: Bow Training is Wonky 01/24/2013 02:33 AM CST
If spells like vivisection can 1-2 shot stuff, why can't a bow with enough skill?
Re: Bow Training is Wonky 01/24/2013 06:31 AM CST
> If spells like vivisection can 1-2 shot stuff, why can't a bow with enough skill?

In the Necro folders, everyone has been saying Vivi is useless, they won't use it to train, etc. You're saying you can 1-2 shot with it?

Adding nothing to the conversation since 1834.
Re: Bow Training is Wonky 01/24/2013 10:40 AM CST
>>why can't a bow with enough skill?

Because 1-2 hit kills should be near-impossible to get on at-circle stuff. That is a design rule for 3.0.

Re: Bow Training is Wonky 01/24/2013 10:51 AM CST
because I'm awesome?

>>1-2 hitting an enemy should not be possible. How much skill do you have?

Hunting rescucitants

610 bows + 600 mana MOF(834 augmentation, I use it for the agil boost and so I can see what I'm hunting), 80 mana PW (ranged booster), 80 mana SUF (balance booster), 632 Evasion, 85 agility, 65 reflex, well/well bow with bas arrows, 301 shield(I used a bow, so never really trained it)

I could also use tremor, anc, or something to hold it down, but usually I can kill in 1-2 hits full aim with no shield, with shield 3-7, average of 5.

>>1-2 hitting an enemy should not be possible. How much skill do you have?

Hunting rescucitants

452 2he, 75 Strength, 85 agility, MOF, SUF, Ignited tyrium Greatsword (very dev slice, very ext imp, mod fire), MOA!!!! - 1-2 on occasion using swing, usually 3-4. 3-5 if I use attack.

Re: Bow Training is Wonky 01/24/2013 12:44 PM CST
oh yeah, I usually have blessed weapons for them too

Re: Bow Training is Wonky 01/24/2013 01:42 PM CST
<<In the Necro folders, everyone has been saying Vivi is useless, they won't use it to train, etc. You're saying you can 1-2 shot with it?>>

I'm not, Divult is over in plat. If its not intentional, then I'm sure it'l be tweaked.
Re: Bow Training is Wonky 01/24/2013 02:55 PM CST
Interesting. I wonder if the combation from bless + buffs + full aim pushes you into the overkill mechanic.

Re: Bow Training is Wonky 01/24/2013 03:11 PM CST
I think they were say 'Ah', decap, and chest exploders - they used to cause damage to 2 places with one hit if you looked at them after a crit, maybe it's still doing it?

i.e. you hit the head, look and their head and chest is exploded, or chest and their head also flies off after their chest explodes or something.

I'll check later.

Re: Bow Training is Wonky 01/24/2013 07:20 PM CST
>I'm not, Divult is over in plat. If its not intentional, then I'm sure it'l be tweaked.

Some clarification on that, I am getting 3-4 hits to kill w/ 50 mana VIVI plus 40 mana Heighten Pain on Stormbulls with 685 TM skill. Over the last few days the results I get with VIVI are highly variable, 3-4 one day, 15+ the next, back to 3-4. I simply cant explain the randomness there. I may be a bit on the higher end in the TM vs Defense range there, so I am not exactly sure you can call that an at level contest.

Elusive
mundus vult decipi, ergo decipiatur
Re: Bow Training is Wonky 01/24/2013 09:43 PM CST
When I last saw you chat, you mentioned 1-2. To clarify, I don't have an issue with vivisection, I just think bows should have a shot at 1-2 killing with enough skill.
Re: Bow Training is Wonky 01/24/2013 09:47 PM CST
>When I last saw you chat, you mentioned 1-2. To clarify, I don't have an issue with vivisection, I just think bows should have a shot at 1-2 killing with enough skill.

Not really worried about VIVI tweaks at this stage, 3.0 is still young and things are bound to be balanced back and forth a bit. I do think I got my targets mixed up with the report on the 1-2 casts, its likely I hit something my construct was fighting to get the really low cast kills. Im still working out my TM scripts and using the new TARGET SPELL AT CRITTER seems to target the first and not the faced target. Today Im hovering at 3-4 still, so it seems to be rather stable for my skill and mana usage.

Elusive
mundus vult decipi, ergo decipiatur
Re: Bow Training is Wonky 01/25/2013 01:13 AM CST
as a follow-up I did some hunting earlier, got a few 3 hits kills with the bow, but now 1 or 2 hits.

but the 2he that I have less skill in I got a few more 2 hit kills. it would be the chest, followed by an arm shot. and did not do the extra wound explodey thing.

Re: Bow Training is Wonky 01/25/2013 11:11 AM CST
>So yeah, I'm thinking the exp from misses could be too high. How long to mind lock for you?

Sorry for the delayed reply;
It takes about 20m to lock? Ballpark, maybe I'm being a bit generous and it's closer to the 25-30 range?

If I'm missing, what bow is going to train better, a fast loading shortbow or a slower loading composite? I'm glad that shooting but missing still trains.

And incidentally, the appraisal that I believe you pulled from my character was on my barbarian; I'm actually referring to my Necromancer, who has ~200 ranks of Bows, 50 something agility, and is still missing Gryphons. I understand that this is below gryphons and after 3.0 just means I don't have the skill to hit them, that's fine, but I went from being able to kill them with any bow in 4-5 shots to missing entirely, so just felt it deserved some looking at.
Re: Bow Training is Wonky 01/26/2013 02:30 AM CST
>>but the 2he that I have less skill in I got a few more 2 hit kills. it would be the chest, followed by an arm shot. and did not do the extra wound explodey thing.

Can you post a look for the room? Want to make sure I am observing the right enemies. Also, was your sword blessed? For all I know bless is adding in a 1000% damage modifier :P

Re: Bow Training is Wonky 01/26/2013 02:50 AM CST
yes the sword was blessed. and sure.. they all look the same though mostly... it's probably the bless... i'll post if i find another 2 hit bow or 2he

IIRC undead's harder to hurt unless you have a bless, then a bless basical knocks it to normal then it goes it's bonus(zombies and ghosts). Unless they're just 'evil' (or more evil than undead) then the bless is a crazy bonus(genis, and i think there's a necro spell that causes bless to flare too).

* Rooms:

[Catacombs, Labyrinth]
A myriad of decayed cadavers lie in hastily constructed alcoves along both sides of the passage. Twisting and turning, these halls of the dead quickly disorient and confuse. Small pools of water, putrid with rot, fill the depressions in the uneven floor, and the odor of decay is overpowering. An occasional alcove sits empty, giving one cause to wonder where the previous occupant now lies.
Obvious exits: north, east, southwest.

> e
You wander east.

[Catacombs, Labyrinth]
A seemingly endless line of corpses runs down the length of this burial hallway. Propped up against the rough stone walls they stand as silent sentinels to the ages. The large empty eye sockets of almost countless skulls stare vacuously into the deep gloom.
You also see a thick iron gate and a displaced corpse.
Obvious exits: north, west.

> app res
You are certain that the Misenseor resuscitant is healthy.
You are certain that it is not quite as strong as you are.
You are certain that it is somewhat less agile than you are.
You are certain that it is about as disciplined as you are.
You are certain that it is about as quick to react as you are.
You are certain that it is about as conditioned as you are.
Taking stock of its offensive abilities, and defending with a tyrium greatsword with a balanced blade, you are certain that the Misenseor resuscitant is definitely less skilled.
Taking stock of its defensive abilities, and attacking with a tyrium greatsword with a balanced blade, you are certain that the Misenseor resuscitant is a somewhat skilled opponent.
If you attacked with a tyrium greatsword with a balanced blade you are certain that the enemy would train very well, provided you can land a blow.
If you defended by parrying attacks, you are certain that the enemy would train acceptably.
If you defended by evading attacks, you are certain that the enemy would train acceptably.
If you defended by blocking attacks, you are certain that the enemy would train exceptionally well.

I didn't have a bless going in but

**LOG
here's a 3 hit kill with no bless (i can do them pretty often):

You stop a Misenseor resuscitant from advancing any farther.
> circ

> circ

You slowly circle around a Misenseor resuscitant.
[You're tired, adeptly balanced and in very strong position.]
Roundtime: 3 sec.
R>
* Ineptly, a Misenseor resuscitant swings at you. You counter some of the fist with a tyrium greatsword with a balanced blade.
[You're tired, nimbly balanced and in superior position.]
R> swing
>
The branded lines of fire on a Misenseor resuscitant burn with a faint red color!
< Moving in gracefully, you swing a tyrium greatsword with a balanced blade at a Misenseor resuscitant. A Misenseor resuscitant badly fails to parry with its decaying forearm.
The greatsword lands an extremely heavy hit that smacks it solidly in the left hand.
[You're tired, nimbly balanced and in superior position.]
[Roundtime 4 sec.]
R> chop
...wait 1 seconds.
R>
* Moving poorly, a Misenseor resuscitant slashes its clawlike hands at you. You evade, leaning to one side with no room to spare.
[You're tired, adeptly balanced and in excellent position.]
> chop

The branded lines of fire on a Misenseor resuscitant burn with a faint red color!
< Driving in with naturally fluid movements, you chop a tyrium greatsword with a balanced blade at a Misenseor resuscitant. A Misenseor resuscitant badly fails to parry with its decaying forearm.
The greatsword lands a spine-rattling strike that rips away half of the resuscitant hip as its left femur is pulled from its socket.
The a Misenseor resuscitant emits a hoarse shriek as it topples to the ground, limbs twtching wildly.
[You're tired, nimbly balanced and overwhelming opponent.]
[Roundtime 5 sec.]

R> app res quick
...wait 1 seconds.
R> app res quick

>
With an excited shriek, a Misenseor resuscitant leaps to its feet.

>
You are certain that the Misenseor resuscitant is in very bad shape.
You are certain that the Misenseor resuscitant is slightly fatigued.
The Misenseor resuscitant has a major wound.
You wonder if it is not quite as strong as you are.
You believe that it is somewhat less agile than you are.
You're not sure how disciplined it is.
You estimate that it is about as quick to react as you are.
You wonder if it is not quite as conditioned as you are.
Taking stock of its offensive abilities, and defending with a tyrium greatsword with a balanced blade, you are certain that the Misenseor resuscitant is a slightly less skilled opponent.
Taking stock of its defensive abilities, and attacking with a tyrium greatsword with a balanced blade, you are certain that the Misenseor resuscitant is well beneath your abilities.
If you attacked with a tyrium greatsword with a balanced blade you are certain that the enemy would train very well, provided you can land a blow.
If you defended by parrying attacks, you are certain that the enemy would train acceptably.
If you defended by evading attacks, you are certain that the enemy would train acceptably.
If you defended by blocking attacks, you are certain that the enemy would train exceptionally well.

[Roundtime: 3 seconds]
R>
* Apparently without direction or thought, a Misenseor resuscitant slashes its clawlike hands at you. You knock aside most of the claw with a tyrium greatsword with a balanced blade.
[You're tired, nimbly balanced and overwhelming your opponent.]
R> slice

< Moving like a striking snake, you slice a tyrium greatsword with a balanced blade at a Misenseor resuscitant. A Misenseor resuscitant badly fails to parry with its decaying forearm.
The greatsword lands a massive strike that cleaves the resuscitant torso from shoulder to hip to expose rotting organs.
The Misenseor resuscitant shrieks hoarsely and begins to shudder violently, its cries growing gradually softer as its unholy life force fades away.
The fiery marks branding a Misenseor resuscitant slowly fade away.
[You're nimbly balanced]
[Roundtime 4 sec.]

*STATS
(not wearing a small shield)
Twohanded Edged: 454 86% examining (13/34)
Strength : 75 Reflex : 65 +
Agility : 85 +
Melee Mastery: 381 67.98% examining (13/34)

**Spells
You sense the Mantle of Flame spell upon you, which will last for about eighty-one roisaen.
You sense the Swirling Winds spell upon you, which will last for about fifteen roisaen.
You sense the Manifest Force spell surrounding you, which will last for sixteen roisaen or until it has endured one more blow.
You sense the Y'ntrel Sechra spell helping you maneuver in chain armor, which should last for about fourteen roisaen.
You sense the Ignite spell upon you, which will last for about five roisaen.
You sense the Sure Footing spell upon you, which will last for about fifteen roisaen.
You sense the Substratum spell upon you, which will last for about seventeen roisaen.
You sense the Ring of Spears spell upon you, which will last until you fail to provide 18 mana for it.
You sense the Ease Burden spell upon you, which will last for about seventeen roisaen.

**WEAPON
A tyrium greatsword with a balanced blade is a two-handed edged pole-ranged weapon.
A tyrium greatsword with a balanced blade trains the two-handed edged skill.

You are certain that it could do:
somewhat fair (4/26) puncture damage
very devastating (22/26) slice damage
very extreme (16/26) impact damage
somewhat moderate fire damage
no cold damage
no electric damage

The greatsword is soundly designed for improving the force of your attacks.

You are certain that the greatsword is dismally (2/14) balanced and is superbly (11/14) suited to gaining extra attack power from your strength.

You are certain that the greatsword is nearly impervious to damage (17/18), and is practically in mint condition (90-97%).

The greatsword is made with metal.
You are certain that the greatsword weighs exactly 119 stones.
You are certain that the greatsword is worth exactly 2770531 kronars.
You sense a deep connection with the greatsword, as if it will be with you always.
Roundtime: 8 seconds.

Re: Bow Training is Wonky 01/26/2013 08:23 AM CST
Odd I haven't hunted these in a bit really, but I remember having a harder time hitting them with high 500's in weapon skill a few years ago. Although I will say when you did hit them even before they were really squishy but they had pretty decent parry. Did you hunt these much at the end of 2.0?
Re: Bow Training is Wonky 01/26/2013 11:28 AM CST
Yeah, them and souls for combat exclusively pretty much for almost a year?

Their parry is crazy, in 2.0 I usually couldn't hit them with my sword without ANC or putting an arrow or CL through it first. I'd kill them with 1-3 hits from my bow or 5-12+ from my sword.

Now, it's much easier, but I'm not sure how much the boosts help.