Training bows? 03/25/2012 06:59 PM CDT
After a thread in another topic, I thought I'd take up bows with a new char. Sad to say I have never trained them. The loss of 2/3 my defenses is way too much for me, mentally. So I'm at a loss as to how to really train them at-level.

Is poaching (or hiding in general) really my best bet? I don't want to use a retre;retre;retre; macro/script or anything. I stick to store bought goods with my little nooblets, so it's pretty much crossings general store short bow and arrows.

Char's only up to goblins so far, so it's the first real hurdle, since you can dodge rats in your sleep after 10ish ranks. Minimal armor (leather, tunic), no burden, 30ish ranks of evasion, 20 of Short bow.

Let's save us all some time: I'm a troll who rarely has anything helpful. There.
Re: Training bows? 03/25/2012 07:37 PM CDT
If you can't stand at melee and dodge them then the only other options is to poach or keep retreating.

With poaching you run the risk of losing ammo, but using store bought ammo that doesn't matter.

I'm survival primary so I was able to stand at melee and train my stick bow till I hit stompers, I then started using the retreat;retreat method because player-crafted ammo gets expensive to replace, and it was safer.
Re: Training bows? 03/26/2012 06:33 AM CDT
I am not certain what the actual hit is to defenses, but I poach with my shield on, in shield stance about one or two levels under my main hunting ground (with eagle dance so I can dual load). Knock on wood, I have never died yet this way, and I am constantly having stuff thrown at me. I don't think it is a 2/3 hit, but I am guessing that was tongue-in-cheek. Either way, snap shots or poaching is fine, but you might as well poach, seeing as how you can train up two more skills pretty fast that way. I run a basic loop of aim, retreat twice, hide, stalk, poach and fire (in case I get pointed out). I've only ever lost arrows from crashes this way. Also, if you train up a bow and your mech, you can start making your own bows and arrows pretty fast.

You also see a shiny scorecard and a shiny scorecard.
Obvious paths: none.
> read scorec
A shiny scorecard reads:
"Liurilias - 747"
> read other scorec
A shiny scorecard reads:
"Zerreck - 2456"
Re: Training bows? 03/26/2012 07:35 AM CDT
I'm tempted to just work shield to 50 and then backtrain the bow (or bows if I decide to grab LX too), since that seems to be when you unlock shields.

Let's save us all some time: I'm a troll who rarely has anything helpful. There.
Re: Training bows? 03/26/2012 12:36 PM CDT
>>Either way, snap shots or poaching is fine, but you might as well poach, seeing as how you can train up two more skills pretty fast that way. I run a basic loop of aim, retreat twice, hide, stalk, poach and fire (in case I get pointed out). I've only ever lost arrows from crashes this way. Also, if you train up a bow and your mech, you can start making your own bows and arrows pretty fast.

This guy knows it all. Listening to him would b every wise.
Re: Training bows? 03/28/2012 01:22 PM CDT
i disagree with the advice in this thread

>With poaching you run the risk of losing ammo

poach from pole on non-charging creatures and never lose ammo.

here's my script section for this, not including all the details of the gosubs. %facing is the range of the creature i'm facing, with 1=melee, 2=pole, 3=missile:

action var facing 3 when ^You assess your combat situation...
action var facing 1 when You.are facing.at melee range.
action var facing 2 when You.are facing.at pole weapon range.
action var facing 2 when ^You slip through the shadows to quickly advance upon your foe.
action var facing 3 when You.are facing.at missle range.

gosub hide
gosub asses
if "%facing" = "1" then gosub ret
if "%facing" = "3" then gosub advance.to.pole

to be fair, i rehide quickly, and load in hiding, which can add 1 second to load rt depending on guild.

>I poach with my shield on

Isn't there a big round time hit?

Your gargoyle-hide shield makes the task more difficult.
You reach into your backpack to load the short bow with a basilisk head arrow.
Roundtime 8 sec.

vs.

You reach into your backpack to load the short bow with a basilisk head arrow.
Roundtime 3 sec.

If your script is decent, you should rarely if ever get attacked.
Re: Training bows? 03/28/2012 02:36 PM CDT
He's a barbarian so he can load a stick bow without penalty while wearing a small shield.
Re: Training bows? 03/28/2012 05:13 PM CDT
I did fail to mention that I do advance after aiming. That's part of the key to not losing your arrows. I highly discourage loading from hiding, unless you are in the act of advancing. I have lost ammo that way in the past because the added time in hiding caused the critter to leave the room with my ammo stuck in it, only to go poof.

You also see a shiny scorecard and a shiny scorecard.
Obvious paths: none.
> read scorec
A shiny scorecard reads:
"Liurilias - 747"
> read other scorec
A shiny scorecard reads:
"Zerreck - 2456"
Re: Training bows? 03/28/2012 05:20 PM CDT
>>I did fail to mention that I do advance after aiming. That's part of the key to not losing your arrows. I highly discourage loading from hiding, unless you are in the act of advancing. I have lost ammo that way in the past because the added time in hiding caused the critter to leave the room with my ammo stuck in it, only to go poof.

I train this way, too. Losing teleport-retreat will be great for PvP but no so great for training bow!
Re: Training bows? 03/28/2012 08:19 PM CDT
>I highly discourage loading from hiding, unless you are in the act of advancing. I have lost ammo that way in the past because the added time in hiding caused the critter to leave the room with my ammo stuck in it, only to go poof.

If you're sitting at pole, you're not advancing, and the creature isn't going anywhere.

>He's a barbarian so he can load a stick bow without penalty while wearing a small shield.

Fair enough. Still the offensive reduction with no real upside, assuming your script is good.
Quick Bow Question 06/21/2012 07:01 PM CDT
I have a Hunter's Bow made of Copperwood that appraises at Soundly/soundly and 5250 in value. Can anyone tell me how closed to capped it is? I've been gone a bit and can't remember where I bought it from.

Thanks!
Re: Quick Bow Question 06/21/2012 09:08 PM CDT
For your ranks Yan, it's probably more than close enough.

I was under the impression the real benefit/boost to capped bows doesn't start up till a few hundred ranks.

Also have to tease the Yan.

Re: Quick Bow Question 06/21/2012 09:35 PM CDT
>>For your ranks Yan, it's probably more than close enough.

Yup, thats what I figured regardless. I did get an answer in game earlier that it appears it is indeed capped. I actually am training via short bow, with the plan to move to the longbow once 3.0 combines them.

Also recieved a thought from some weirdo named Ucu. Go figure
Re: Quick Bow Question 07/10/2012 10:48 AM CDT
So, I just wanted to clarify something with training stick bows and the defense penalties that come with it. I apologize ahead of time if there is a post explaining this already, but i could not find it. I mainly train my longbow via advancing in hiding and sniping, but i wanted to play with just standing toe to toe and shooting things faces off too. I know parry is utterly useless in this situation, and i consider shield to be only slightly better than parry due to the 8 sec RT. I have decent evasion/multi for my level and i'm curious as to how best to take advantage of this. I might just be crazy, but i could have swore i saw some post about being in Dodge stance hurts your chances(doesnt make much sense, but if that is so, i'd rather have confirmation about it so i'm not gimping myself)?

So, question being: should i stance evasion 100% and DODGE, or should i use some other combat maneuver than DODGE while making pin-cusions?
Re: Quick Bow Question 07/10/2012 11:54 AM CDT
FWIW I use dodge when training bow. One would think this would be the optimal stance to be in to dodge something. Yes you should use 100% evasion and dodge.
Re: Quick Bow Question 07/10/2012 01:39 PM CDT
IIRC you don't take a defensive penalty until the bow is loaded. Once it's loaded, evidently your movements are restricted because you have to use both hands and maintain a steady hand. All I know is I get smacked regardless of stance if I use a bow at melee without hiding.

Elvis has left the building.
Re: Quick Bow Question 07/10/2012 02:05 PM CDT
There used to be a defensive penalty while aiming back in the day, but that has been removed for sometime.

As far as I'm aware the only defensive penalty you take while using a stick bow is not being able to use shield or parry. There is no penalty to your evasion.

>>IIRC you don't take a defensive penalty until the bow is loaded.

The only time this is true is if you are wearing an arm-worn shield.

If you want to stand at melee and train bow then 100% evasion in dodging stance and using any defensive buffs you have is your best bet.
Re: Quick Bow Question 07/10/2012 03:15 PM CDT
100% evasion and DODGE. If you aren't dodging, you're taking a defense penalty

With the characters I play, I always go full dreadnaught with bows(load;advance;aim;fire).

It teaches better.

IM: Dannyboy00001111

"Fool proof system do not take into account the ingenuity of fools, nor the power of numbers."
Re: Quick Bow Question 07/10/2012 05:08 PM CDT
>>I always go full dreadnaught with bows(load;advance;aim;fire).

Under the current system I would disagree. Spam retreat, load, spam retreat, aim, pause .5, fire rinse repeat. Why bother putting yourself into harms way more than you have to by advancing (unless you're a thief/ranger using snipe).
Re: Quick Bow Question 07/10/2012 08:36 PM CDT
>>Why bother putting yourself into harms way more than you have to by advancing

Defense training.

Up until I got to post gryphons (celp/zombie level) I trained the same as Gort said. I use the retreat method now because hits at this level a hit can ruin a hunting session, but I have noticed that my evasion has slowed since I switched.
Re: Quick Bow Question 07/10/2012 09:10 PM CDT
>> Under the current system I would disagree. Spam retreat, load, spam retreat, aim, pause .5, fire rinse repeat. Why bother putting yourself into harms way more than you have to by advancing (unless you're a thief/ranger using snipe).

Because you're either in the clear, or you're not.

If you aren't, like you say: Spam retreat.
If you are(with self-buffs active, this is a lot of people), have at it.

Shooting at melee hits harder and more accurately than at pole/missile. Plus you learn defenses(not a whole lot, evading has never been good for this though). Some's better than none. And if you're doing it right, the only time you'll be hit is on an open roll.

IM: Dannyboy00001111

"Fool proof system do not take into account the ingenuity of fools, nor the power of numbers."