Mixing in Bone Armor 01/28/2016 06:42 AM CST
So I'm an Armor tertiary with Chain Armor as my primary armor looking to mix in some other pieces of armor for the TDPs. I'm just curious if there's any reason to consider a Bone Armor piece for the Light Armor, or just going with something Leather as most others seem to do. I don't care about stealth. Since Bone is supposed to be in between Cloth and Leather, I could see the argument that maybe it's the best Light Armor to get, or most evenly distributed in protection and absorption? But it's weight and hindrance tends to be the highest.
Re: Mixing in Bone Armor 01/28/2016 07:24 AM CST
I think you have some misconceptions about bone armor. Bone armor is equivalent to leather armor but it has points shifted from absorption to protection. This would seem to be a good thing since protection is a flat reduction in damage, but protection stats can be bypassed if you have lower armor skill than the offense of what is attacking you. Being Armor tert this will be the case the majority of the time so bone armor will provide less protection on average than leather and even some good cloth armor.

If you are mixing armor as a Armor tert then you need to pay attention to overall hinderance because the mixing penalty will be the worst for you. It's possible to mix all 4 armor types but you are going to want the majority of it to be some kind of light armor (preferably cloth since it has lower hinderance).