Top dog in bone armor 07/19/2011 03:05 PM CDT
Who is it?

I know I'm decent with 628 ranks, but who's got me beat? Does it ever get useful or am I just going to have to be content with my altered mask and gauntlets?

> tap mask
You tap a skull mask bearing a pair of sharpened horns that you are wearing.
> l mask
The horns curl straight up above the wearer's head, ending in wickedly sharp points. The mask itself is stark white, and looks less and less humanoid upon closer inspection. Various etchings are carved into the cheeks and forehead of the mask, adding to the ghastly appearance. The eye guards are painted blood red, giving the eyes a sinister look.

> tap gaun
You tap some stark white bone gauntlets with spiked knuckles that you are wearing.
> l gaun
The spikes jut out from the solid piece of bone and end in sharpened points. On the back of each gauntlet is a sword with a broken blade, backed by an image of Botolf's goshawk. The inside of the gauntlets are padded with soft suede, adding comfort to the solid material on the outside.

Where's Madigan?!?!

I'm so noble it hurts.
Re: Top dog in bone armor 07/19/2011 08:36 PM CDT
I know I dont count, but anyways.

Bone Armor: 871 86.03% clear

I actually like the bone armor at higher ranks.
Re: Top dog in bone armor 07/19/2011 09:05 PM CDT
Yeah, TF doesn't count for comparison, but your input is valid. :)

Where's Madigan?!?!

I'm so noble it hurts.
Re: Top dog in bone armor 07/20/2011 12:33 AM CDT
Answers to your question:

1. Yes.

2. No.

Just my opinion, but I sure don't see bone being that great in the future. I think most everyone just trains it for TDP's right now. Adakin would be the one that would potentially have more bone ranks than you because I think he is just a crazy armor trainer.

Madigan
Re: Top dog in bone armor 07/20/2011 09:37 AM CDT
>>Just my opinion, but I sure don't see bone being that great in the future.

I'll actually step in and disagree here.

Bone seems like it will fill a very specific niche, where someone may want more protection than leather, at the cost of more hindrance, but with the benefit of less of a stealth penalty than chain.

Many people might not have a use for that niche, though. Unless soul state stuff changes sometime soon (or you just don't care about the penalties...), I can't imagine why a Paladin would have an interest in low stealth hindrance, though.
Re: Top dog in bone armor 07/20/2011 11:00 AM CDT
I don't think we'll have a complete picture of armor niches until new tanned armor and enchanting are released. Bone could easily have more protection from fire/ice (which will be more useful when everyone has a flaming sword of DOOOOOOM), be easier to enchant with defensive spells, have a higher augmentation cap for defenseive spells, etc.
Re: Top dog in bone armor 07/20/2011 01:07 PM CDT
Good point Tev. My opinions are always colored by my experience so mostly my opinion comes from a paladins perspective.

Madigan
Re: Top dog in bone armor 08/05/2011 08:50 PM CDT
Well, when me are able to make bone we might be able to balance out some of its penalties.

Right now the issue with bone is the low impact protection. It has a good deal of slice protection and fire protection. But as the system is most slice attacks have a component with impact so you don't get the full benefit of having that slice protection.

Maybe in the future a mix that improves its impact protection at the cost of something else will make the armor extremely viable. We'll have to wait and see.

As was previously said we'll have to wait for the full rewrite on lore skills and crafting as well as the changes to combat to see how bone will work out.
As good almost kill a man as kill a good book; who kills a man kills a reasonable creature, God's image; but he who destroys a good book, kills reason itself, kills the image of God, as it were in the eye.
-John Milton
Re: Top dog in bone armor 11/07/2011 03:11 PM CST
I'm pretty close to you, with 600. Haven't met anyone with more, maybe Adakin?
I can't flaunt any cool-looking bone like that, though. I just toss on a reed breastplate and I'm game.