Blunt Recommendation 07/10/2015 09:59 PM CDT
So blunt users out there, if you had to start over from 0, which blunt would you choose? I've been looking at adding a blunt to my weapon rotation and have the coin to have something forged. Would be on someone with 40s in stats. Currently using Brawling, Large Edge, and HT for what it's worth.

Had been leaning towards a 2HB or LB but interested in opinions. Don't mind having something glaes made early to handle the weight.
Re: Blunt Recommendation 07/10/2015 10:39 PM CDT
>>Yanshadey: So blunt users out there, if you had to start over from 0, which blunt would you choose?

I use heavy blunt (an imperial war hammer). I prefer that over two-handed blunt, because 1) holding a shield is still an option and 2) even when arm-wearing a shield, you don't get the extra offensive and defensive penalty that you would get when wearing a shield while using a two-handed melee weapon.

Quarterstaffs also do impact-type damage if you are looking for an alternative blunt weapons.

Mr. Gorbachev, tear down this wall rank!

Vote for DragonRealms on Top MUD Sites: http://www.topmudsites.com/vote-DragonRealms.html
Re: Blunt Recommendation 07/11/2015 01:33 AM CDT
I'd go with a forged riste because it gives you three weapons in one MB/ME/2HB so you can train any all you want. For straight up LB I'd go ask Caraamon or another forger or go down to Steel Claw Clan and pick up an Ukabi.

Rhadyn da Dwarb - Blood for fire!
Re: Blunt Recommendation 07/11/2015 04:44 AM CDT
Pick staves.
Re: Blunt Recommendation 07/11/2015 08:14 AM CDT

Thanks all for the feedback. Heard stavs twice. What's the main benefit to staves?
Re: Blunt Recommendation 07/11/2015 08:52 AM CDT
>> What's the main benefit to staves?

More variety and versatility for just one skill. It's SB + 2HB. You can use the short staff weapons for one handed use, and the rare metal/wood nightsticks can pack a punch. There are plenty of two-handed templates to choose from if you want more damage, also. If you are looking to add just one skill that has an impact damage focus then you will get more mileage out of Staves than you will out of any of the Blunt weapon skills.
Re: Blunt Recommendation 07/11/2015 10:43 AM CDT
I don't disagree with what NINEVAH1 is saying when it comes to versatility of STAVES. As a Barbarian I look at the options this way.

STAVES
PROs: one-handed and two-handed options, player made templates, variety of weapons and damage available, good balance
CONs: Purchase of multiple weapons to meet size requirements (1 or 2 handed), longer weapons hard to store in containers, heavier for higher impact weapons, poorly suited for strength, trains only one skill

RISTE (MB/ME/2HB Swappable)
PROs: Single weapon trains three skills, player made templates, highest weight weapon better impact than STAVES and still lighter, very well suited for strength, fits in most weapon containers, later in life you can choose a specific skill and switch to a better single use weapon (ex: 2HB = Senci Maul)
CONs: Poor balance...I can't really think of any other cons except you don't have STAVES skill with it

It is up to you and what your training goals are but I always like to have more TDPs from more skills and more options available over time.

Heck, buy a steel nightstick and a steel riste and train four new weapon types! Delimma solved!

Rhadyn da Dwarb - Blood for fire!
Re: Blunt Recommendation 07/11/2015 11:47 AM CDT
Here's the stave i'm using at the moment. It's not suited for strength but there are stave templates that lean that direction. A mahogany quarterstaff looks pretty good and it's much better suited for strength. I don't have that appraisal handy though.

A durian bo staff is a quarter staff pole-ranged weapon.
A durian bo staff trains the stave skill.

You are certain that it could do:
fair puncture damage
no slice damage
great impact damage
no fire damage
no cold damage
no electric damage

The bo staff is reasonably designed for improving the force of your attacks.

You are certain that the staff is extremely well balanced and is poorly suited to gaining extra attack power from your strength.

You are certain that the bo staff is marginally vulnerable to damage, and is practically in mint condition.

You are certain that the bo staff weighs exactly 41 stones.
You are certain that the bo staff is worth exactly 7000 Kronars.

If you can find a
https://elanthipedia.play.net/mediawiki/index.php/Item:Wide_leather_toolstrap_with_braided_cord_ties
for sale you don't have to worry about where you'll carry a stave.

Vote:
http://www.topmudsites.com/vote-DragonRealms.html
Re: Blunt Recommendation 07/11/2015 12:38 PM CDT
Thanks everyone. Had a Nightstick made to toy with and very happy with the results. Will get something heavier made soon to see how I like that side of things.
Re: Blunt Recommendation 07/11/2015 06:50 PM CDT
>>Rchight: PROs [of staves]: one-handed and two-handed options, player made templates, variety of weapons and damage available, good balance

Some quarter staffs are also pole-ranged, if you like that sort of thing. (Although there are pole-ranged 2HE, I don't know of any pole-ranged 2HB.)

>>Rchight: CONs [of swappable ristes]: Poor balance...I can't really think of any other cons except you don't have STAVES skill with it

One thing Caraamon preaches is that swappable weapons have inferior stats compared to single-type weapons of comparable weight. You are trading performance for reduced inventory count, reduced weight, and saving money. The cost savings may not be a big deal for steel weapons, but it is when you buy rare-metal weapons.

Another disadvantage I would add, though it's minor, is that not all hunting scripts fully support swappable modes. (Back when I used a bastard sword, I recall Geniehunter not consistently starting it in 2HE mode even though it had syntax for doing so.)

Mr. Gorbachev, tear down this wall rank!

Vote for DragonRealms on Top MUD Sites: http://www.topmudsites.com/vote-DragonRealms.html
Re: Blunt Recommendation 07/11/2015 06:58 PM CDT
One advantage of ristes is that they're metal as hell. The macuahuitl (the weapon DRized into the riste) doesn't get enough love.

-Armifer
"Perinthia's astronomers are faced with a difficult choice. Either they must admit that all their calculations were wrong ... or else they must reveal that the order of the gods is reflected exactly in the city of monsters." - Italo Calvino
Re: Blunt Recommendation 07/11/2015 08:04 PM CDT
>One advantage of ristes is that they're metal as hell. The macuahuitl (the weapon DRized into the riste) doesn't get enough love.

Give us macuahuitl moonblade forms and I'll hug and kiss them.

Ristes are pretty cool.

We need wood templates for them!

Vote:
http://www.topmudsites.com/vote-DragonRealms.html
Re: Blunt Recommendation 12/11/2015 02:13 PM CST
>Ristes

Is anyone forging these? I'm looking for a full-size one (LE/LB/2HB). Even one out of common metals would be fine by me, I'm just wanting to experiment with it.
Re: Blunt Recommendation 12/11/2015 03:43 PM CST
Come see me at the Crossing Forge sometime or contact me on AIM at CaraamonDR.

Weapons for Sale:
https://elanthipedia.play.net/mediawiki/index.php/User:CARAAMON#Wares
Hunta Talna Kortok, built by Gor'Togs, for Gor'Togs
http://www.angelfire.com/rpg2/caraamon/home.html
Re: Blunt Recommendation 12/11/2015 09:59 PM CST

> Come see me at the Crossing Forge sometime

Will do, thank you!