Melee Mastery 04/16/2015 09:57 AM CDT
How much does Melee mastery help combat skills? I have 844 Melee Mastery, if I wanted to backtrain blunts from 0 how high up the creature ladder can I go?
Re: Melee Mastery 04/16/2015 10:22 AM CDT
I hate this answer but best to PAFO. I don't believe there was ever a percentage or actual number given to the mastery to weapon skill. I backtrained all weapons for Weaponmaster titles, my mastery is/was lower than yours, but I would just move to a lower tier critter in the area, see if you can hit it, if not move down again.

Also just a tip for backtraining huge gaps. If you have any armors you didn't train might as well get a piece or 2 or a whole new setup. Probably won't get any shield/evasion/parry (if all up with primary combats) so armor at least keeps you going with TDPs.

[20:11] Chatter[Arathael] Usually only get skill when it's successful.
[20:13] Chatter[Morpion] Thats why Arathael has 0.00 ranks in Getting Girls
[20:14] Chatter[Arathael] =(
Re: Melee Mastery 04/16/2015 10:33 AM CDT
>>I hate this answer but best to PAFO. I don't believe there was ever a percentage or actual number given to the mastery to weapon skill. I backtrained all weapons for Weaponmaster titles, my mastery is/was lower than yours, but I would just move to a lower tier critter in the area, see if you can hit it, if not move down again.

I can definitely do that, was just hoping to get a plan prior to starting.

>>Also just a tip for backtraining huge gaps. If you have any armors you didn't train might as well get a piece or 2 or a whole new setup. Probably won't get any shield/evasion/parry (if all up with primary combats) so armor at least keeps you going with TDPs.

Was definitely planning on doing this. I was only training LC and HC prior to DR3 so now I only have 1 armor skill so was going to backtrain the other 3 armors while backtraining weapons. Also Stealth if I can.
Re: Melee Mastery 04/16/2015 11:58 AM CDT
>How much does Melee mastery help combat skills? I have 844 Melee Mastery, if I wanted to backtrain blunts from 0 how high up the creature ladder can I go?

Depends on your agility and the balance of the blunt but you could at least start at bloodwolves I'm certain. Maybe even snowbeasts and gargs. I think the la'tami range would be a bit rough but might be able to hit them.

I actually decided to try 99 agility, 30's in HB & 2HB, 750 mastery. No problems hitting la'tami. Might even be able to hit peccary's. I did try low forest gryphon's and couldn't hit them much.

> swap mace
You switch your mace so that you can use it as a two-handed blunt weapon.
>
You close to pole weapon range on an yvhh la'tami.
You stop an yvhh la'tami from advancing any farther.
>
You close to melee range on an yvhh la'tami.
> att

< With grace, you feint a glaes bar mace at an yvhh la'tami. An yvhh la'tami attempts to evade, avoiding only some of the blow.
The mace lands a strong hit (7/23) to the la'tami's right arm.
[You're nimbly balanced and have slight advantage.]
[Roundtime 2 sec.]
R>
* In a weak and directionless display of aggression, an yvhh la'tami rears backwards and claws frantically at you. You block solidly with a small puffy-white shield with fitted seams.
[You're nimbly balanced and in better position.]
R> att

< Moving in gracefully, you jab a glaes bar mace at an yvhh la'tami. An yvhh la'tami attempts to evade, stepping partially into the shot.
The mace lands a good strike (4/23) to the la'tami's left leg.
[You're winded, nimbly balanced and in better position.]
[Roundtime 2 sec.]
R>
You feel fully rested.

R> swap mace
You switch your mace so that you can use it as a heavy blunt weapon.
> att

< Moving fluidly, you swing a glaes bar mace at an yvhh la'tami. An yvhh la'tami fails to dodge, taking the full blow.
The mace lands a heavy strike (8/23) that thumps painfully on the toes of the left foot.
[You're winded, nimbly balanced and in better position.]
[Roundtime 4 sec.]
R>
* Ineptly, an yvhh la'tami springs upwards, its thin sharp teeth bared at you. You evade.
[You're winded, nimbly balanced and in good position.]
R>
You feel fully rested.

R> att

< Moving fluidly, you draw a glaes bar mace at an yvhh la'tami. An yvhh la'tami attempts to dodge, mis-stepping and blundering into the blow.
The mace lands a heavy strike (8/23) that thumps it in the gut (it's the thought that counts), lightly stunning it.
[You're winded, solidly balanced and in superior position.]
[Roundtime 3 sec.]

> att

< Moving fluidly, you draw a glaes bar mace at an yvhh la'tami. An yvhh la'tami attempts to dodge, mis-stepping and blundering into the blow.
The mace lands a heavy strike (8/23) that deeply bruises the right bicep.
[You're winded, nimbly balanced and in dominating position.]
[Roundtime 3 sec.]
R>
* As if effort and skill were a bad thing, an yvhh la'tami springs upwards, its thin sharp teeth bared at you. You evade.
[You're winded, nimbly balanced and in dominating position.]
R> appr mace

A glaes bar mace is a heavy blunt melee-ranged weapon.
A glaes bar mace trains the large blunt skill.

You are certain that it could do:
no (0/26) puncture damage
poor (2/26) slice damage
very great (12/26) impact damage
no (0/26) fire damage
no (0/26) cold damage
no (0/26) electric damage

The bar mace is well (9/17) designed for improving the force of your attacks.

You are certain that the mace is decently (6/17) balanced and is decently (6/17) suited to gaining extra attack power from your strength.

You are certain that the bar mace is quite guarded against damage (12/18),, and is in pristine condition (98-100%).

The bar mace is made with metal.
You are certain that the bar mace weighs exactly 36 stones.
You are certain that the bar mace is worth exactly 194831 Dokoras.
Roundtime: 8 seconds.

R> swap mace
You switch your mace so that you can use it as a two-handed blunt weapon.
R>
* In a weak and directionless display of aggression, an yvhh la'tami springs upwards, its thin sharp teeth bared at you. You evade.
[You're winded, nimbly balanced and in very strong position.]
R> appr mace

A glaes bar mace is a two-handed blunt melee-ranged weapon.
A glaes bar mace trains the two-handed blunt skill.

You are certain that it could do:
dismal (1/26) puncture damage
fair (5/26) slice damage
severe (13/26) impact damage
no (0/26) fire damage
no (0/26) cold damage
no (0/26) electric damage

The bar mace is very well (10/17) designed for improving the force of your attacks.

You are certain that the mace is reasonably (7/17) balanced and is decently (6/17) suited to gaining extra attack power from your strength.

You are certain that the bar mace is quite guarded against damage (12/18),, and is in pristine condition (98-100%).

The bar mace is made with metal.
You are certain that the bar mace weighs exactly 36 stones.
You are certain that the bar mace is worth exactly 194831 Dokoras.
Roundtime: 8 seconds.

>
SKILL: Rank/Percent towards next rank/Amount learning/Mindstate fraction
Large Blunt: 34 10.04% perusing (2/34)

> exp 2hb

SKILL: Rank/Percent towards next rank/Amount learning/Mindstate fraction
Twohanded Blunt: 25 71.58% perusing (2/34)

Mmmmm...pie

Don't forget to vote:

http://www.topmudsites.com/vote-DragonRealms.html
Re: Melee Mastery 04/16/2015 12:05 PM CDT
I'd say Adan'fish (around 250 ranks) depending on your agility.

I say this because I backtrain hiding there and have also backtrained SB and stave from about 10.

--Just a Squire

Riveted to the metal is a small copper plaque depicting a shield crossed with a longsword overlaying a field of thirteen stars. Encircling the design are the words, "Many Faces - One God."
Re: Melee Mastery 04/16/2015 12:10 PM CDT
With 750+ Masteries, 120 buffed Agility, and starting in the teens in skill I was training and killing just fine in baby/fledgling gryphons. I would recommend high balance, crafted weapons.
Re: Melee Mastery 05/14/2015 11:59 PM CDT
I thought I read somewhere the mastery skills and weapon skills were a ratio; being 30/70 respectively. Given that, and with 844 melee mastery and 0 melee weapon, your overall skill with that weapon would be 253.
Re: Melee Mastery 05/15/2015 09:33 AM CDT
>I thought I read somewhere the mastery skills and weapon skills were a ratio; being 30/70 respectively.

I don't think the 30/70 has ever been confirmed directly by GMs, but it seems to be around what it is and is the same ratio that offhand uses so it seems like a good guess.

Don't forget to vote:

http://www.topmudsites.com/vote-DragonRealms.html
Re: Melee Mastery 05/15/2015 10:43 AM CDT
It's weighted, I believe? We have some descriptions of how (probably indexed on elanthipedia) but not the formula.

>Forgive my snark, but welcome to the life of a warrior mage.