. 02/10/2013 12:23 PM CST
I am 2he/he prime. I am finding melee mastry is outstripping my primary 2 weapons. Going up 1 circle will put my mastry 7 or 8 above my primary weapons. If I backtrained melee more it would advance faster. Eventually (soon) it will be signifigantly increacing (boosting) my PRIMARY weapons. Backtraining my primary weapons anyone? Not complaining about this, just commenting.

______
Kertig Heart Magdar Bluefletch, Forging Grand Master of M'Riss
Re: . 02/10/2013 08:51 PM CST
1: Mastery. There's an E in it. You've mispelled it a LOT. And it drives me crazy.

2: What's the issue? It shouldn't be training that well from 'only' training 2he/he, which your post makes it sound like, but I rather suspect you're training 4-7 melee weapons in there. And why do you call it 'backtraining'? Just because melee mastery out paces your skill? I'm confused by your entire post/point, I'm sorry.

Pants.
Re: . 02/11/2013 02:20 AM CST
>>Eventually (soon) it will be signifigantly increacing (boosting) my PRIMARY weapons.
>>Mastery skill changes your "base" ranks and is reflected in critter appraisal (which does not reflect buffs)

My baby barb has Mastery over 40 ranks above my at-level weapons, all seven(7) of which are more or less even at this point. If Mastery changes base ranks, does that mean that, with it above my highest weapons, it will eventually impact my ability to learn then at base level rather than the mastery-bonused level? I don't have this problem yet, but my base ranks are only 65 and my Mastery only 108 so far.

~The Prydaen~
Re: . 02/11/2013 05:28 AM CST
>>My baby barb has Mastery over 40 ranks above my at-level weapons, all seven(7) of which are more or less even at this point. If Mastery changes base ranks, does that mean that, with it above my highest weapons, it will eventually impact my ability to learn then at base level rather than the mastery-bonused level? I don't have this problem yet, but my base ranks are only 65 and my Mastery only 108 so far.

I suppose it will, unless there is some cap in the code.
Re: . 02/11/2013 07:26 AM CST
AFAIK your ur-skills don't directly help/hinder your ability to gain exp outside of the help associated with being able to hit a mob in the first place.

In other words, I believe someone with 1750 in missile mastery could start learning 0 bow in ship rats. The only differences in 2.0 and 3.0 is that they'll probably kill the ship rats faster, which would influence getting exp in a roundabout way, and that they could easily move to something notably harder to start with, due to their ur-skill offsetting their lack of skill.

The teeth lands a solid (5/23) hit that pokes the teeth into Turul's rear end (more embarrassing than painful!).
Re: . 02/11/2013 08:13 AM CST
>>AFAIK your ur-skills don't directly help/hinder your ability to gain exp outside of the help associated with being able to hit a mob in the first place.

>>In other words, I believe someone with 1750 in missile mastery could start learning 0 bow in ship rats. The only differences in 2.0 and 3.0 is that they'll probably kill the ship rats faster, which would influence getting exp in a roundabout way, and that they could easily move to something notably harder to start with, due to their ur-skill offsetting their lack of skill.

This is spot-on in my experience. You could still learn in ship rats, but you could also just go to stompers and mind lock in a single hit.
Re: . 02/11/2013 09:25 AM CST
>>you could also just go to stompers and mind lock in a single hit

Can't tell if you're just being a bit hyperbolic for hyperbole's sake, but I just wanted to point out this particular part isn't accurate, heh.

At least in my own experiences, I didn't notice my skills that much faster by hunting harder things due to my ur-skill advantage. I just got to hunt things that paid better due to being higher up the ladder. They also didn't die as fast so they technically taught better in relation to that, too.

The teeth lands a solid (5/23) hit that pokes the teeth into Turul's rear end (more embarrassing than painful!).
Re: . 02/11/2013 09:34 AM CST
>>At least in my own experiences, I didn't notice my skills that much faster by hunting harder things due to my ur-skill advantage. I just got to hunt things that paid better due to being higher up the ladder. They also didn't die as fast so they technically taught better in relation to that, too.

I don't know. I started with about 40 ranks in crossbow when 3.0 hit and I would lock it in one shot(straight up 0/34 to 34/34) in Granite Gargoyles and Togballs while backtraining and as I've gotten closer and closer to things that actually teach my main combats it's taking me 3-4 shots to lock it now.

Some of that is surely due to the fact that I started off with an 18 second loading Arbalest and have upgraded to the 14 shot Aftermath scrip repeater and the 18 second load time was wrecking havoc with exp rates(according to Kodius, I think, when I posted about it), but I'm not really sure how to test how much of that was the extra RT exp and how much was "over hunting" via my Missile Mastery.
Re: . 02/11/2013 09:53 AM CST
>>I started with about 40 ranks in crossbow when 3.0 hit and I would lock it in one shot(straight up 0/34 to 34/34)

Is it possible that was when they were fine-tuning exp gains for long-roundtime missile weapons? I know they were doing some serious tweaking to improve the exp rates for things like HX weapons and at one point I believe they overshot the returns.

Re: . 02/11/2013 10:00 AM CST
That was right after 3.0, so probably. I haven't used it in a couple weeks but when my Crossbow clears up I'll get it out of the vault and go try it out real quick on what I had been hunting before just to see.
Re: . 02/11/2013 11:57 AM CST
>>Can't tell if you're just being a bit hyperbolic for hyperbole's sake, but I just wanted to point out this particular part isn't accurate, heh.

I'm not sure if the mind lock in a single hit part is accurate, but I absolutely learn quicker by hunting critters according to my mastery-modified skill rather than my base skill.
Re: . 02/11/2013 12:12 PM CST
>>I absolutely learn quicker by hunting critters according to my mastery-modified skill rather than my base skill.

I do too, because they're harder, but the different isn't THAT big.

Re: . 02/11/2013 12:30 PM CST
>>I do too, because they're harder, but the different isn't THAT big.

The difference is logically going to be escalated depending entirely on the disparity between your mastery ranks and the weapons you're back-training. If you don't notice THAT much of a difference, you probably aren't hunting much higher than your base ranks would allow without mastery modification.

Quick example: hunting swains with my crossbow (135 base ranks), it takes me about 10-12 shots to mind lock, depending on how much damage I do. Hunting dobeks with my crossbow, I usually mind lock in 5-6 shots. Conversely, my brawling is only about 40 ranks behind my mastery skill, and I do not notice any negligible difference in learning rate while hunting at-level.

If the disparity was huge like in the example you gave (1750 missile mastery and 0 base crossbow), I think it's perfectly reasonable to think you could mind lock crossbow in a single shot, since mastery skills affect your base "offensive factor," but experienceis still calculated using your actual ranks.
Re: . 02/11/2013 12:35 PM CST
>>Quick example: hunting swains with my crossbow (135 base ranks), it takes me about 10-12 shots to mind lock, depending on how much damage I do. Hunting dobeks with my crossbow, I usually mind lock in 5-6 shots.

Might just be our definitions of not that big. I think that's a totally reasonable exp difference for hunting something more challenging based on mastery ranks, but it's not that big of a exp difference. As I said, it's not a matter of locking in one shot/hit/etc.

I'm also wondering if my view is because I'm backtraining melee weapons instead of missile ones, since the latter has their own exp wonkiness and modifiers that melee ones don't necessarily benefit from. No idea if my heavy weapons that have larger roundtimes benefit from exp bonuses like missile weapons do.

Re: . 02/11/2013 12:41 PM CST
>.Might just be our definitions of not that big. I think that's a totally reasonable exp difference for hunting something more challenging based on mastery ranks, but it's not that big of a exp difference. As I said, it's not a matter of locking in one shot/hit/etc.

Possible. I think taking half as many shots to lock is pretty significant. And again, the bigger the difference, the faster it would teach.
Re: . 02/11/2013 12:47 PM CST
+100% is a tremendous amount faster.

I've noticed the same, even though all of Gort's melee weapon are within 250 ranks of MeM. Really helps w/ bringing lower stuff up faster. I don't think Mastery skills straight bolster ranks though, more an averaging tool from my experience (sortof like how Offhand was).

IM: Dannyboy00001111

"Fool proof system do not take into account the ingenuity of fools, nor the power of numbers."
Re: . 02/11/2013 02:31 PM CST
Melee mastry 995 2hb 248. I can hunt well, miss infrequently and lock quckly in north barricade celpeze (old 105th circle critter) in a few minutes (10ish call it). Big effect I think.

______
Kertig Heart Magdar Bluefletch, Forging Grand Master of M'Riss
Re: . 02/11/2013 04:40 PM CST
>>In other words, I believe someone with 1750 in missile mastery could start learning 0 bow in ship rats. The only differences in 2.0 and 3.0 is that they'll probably kill the ship rats faster, which would influence getting exp in a roundabout way

>>his is spot-on in my experience. You could still learn in ship rats, but you could also just go to stompers and mind lock in a single hit.

Ah, good. When I asked if it would impact my primary weapons to have Mastery far above them, I had more meant in a negative way. As in my altered base ranks no longer trained with X mob, but my defenses weren't ready to move along yet.

~The Prydaen~