Blunts Vs Other Damage Types 02/07/2013 11:36 AM CST
I have no idea what it is but I have always felt that blunt weapons were harder to hit with than edged or puncture weapons.

Here is an example 2HB vs Pike

2HB: 563 Ranks
A giant steel mallet is a two-handed blunt melee-ranged weapon.
A giant steel mallet trains the two-handed blunt skill.

You are certain that it could do:
poor puncture damage
somewhat fair slice damage
very extreme impact damage
no fire damage
no cold damage
no electric damage

The giant mallet is superbly designed for improving the force of your attacks.

You are certain that the mallet is soundly balanced and is fairly suited to gaining extra attack power from your strength.

You are certain that the giant mallet is somewhat unsound against damage, and is practically in mint condition.

The giant mallet is made with metal.
You are certain that the giant mallet weighs exactly 55 stones.
You are certain that the giant mallet is worth exactly 6562 dokoras.
Roundtime: 8 seconds.

Pike: 581 Ranks
A kertig javelin is a heavy thrown and pike melee-ranged weapon.
A kertig javelin trains the heavy thrown and polearm skills.

You are certain that it could do:
very great puncture damage
somewhat fair slice damage
somewhat moderate impact damage
no fire damage
no cold damage
no electric damage

The javelin is inadequately designed for improving the force of your attacks.

You are certain that the javelin is soundly balanced and is decently suited to gaining extra attack power from your strength.

You are certain that the javelin is unusually resilient to damage, and is practically in mint condition.

The javelin is made with metal.
You are certain that the javelin weighs exactly 52 stones.
You are certain that the javelin is worth exactly 247585 dokoras.
Roundtime: 8 seconds.

The pike hits far more often than the 2HB.

- Creature Assassins.
- Attack Style - I just use attack.

Its a fairly noticeable difference I think - I guess I could really test it to make sure but does anyone else notice differences?

Codiax.
Forged Weapons:
http://www.elanthipedia.org/wiki/User:Codiax#Codiax-Forged-Weapons
Re: Blunts Vs Other Damage Types 02/07/2013 09:17 PM CST
Is it a highly noticeable difference? I'm curious if the 3 stone difference has any impact.
Also, I can't remember if javelins are explicitly two handed. Might it be a slight penalty from using an arm-worn shield and using a 2hander?
One other thing I would say needs to be tested is if both weapons have the same balance, not just be within the same appraisal range.
Re: Blunts Vs Other Damage Types 02/08/2013 09:21 PM CST
If the blunt weapon has identical balance to the edged weapon, the to-hit chance will also be the same. There is no penalty for using a blunt weapon. Blunt weapons also have a large bonus to Force, which should result in more knockdowns and stuns.

"I have no data yet. It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. Insensibly one begins to twist facts to suit theories instead of theories to suit facts."
- Sir Arthur Conan Doyle, Sherlock Holmes
Re: Blunts Vs Other Damage Types 02/09/2013 01:47 AM CST
>>If the blunt weapon has identical balance to the edged weapon, the to-hit chance will also be the same.

I figured this much, but I thought balance and suitability appraisals were ranges. I'm not sure how I could actually compare the balance points behind the weapon appraisal to accurately identify if the two weapons would have the same balance, though. I suppose a COMPARE would indicate this information, but I'm not sure how accurate it is.
Re: Blunts Vs Other Damage Types 02/09/2013 03:11 AM CST
>I suppose a COMPARE would indicate this information, but I'm not sure how accurate it is.

The difference COMPARE can detect is larger than a category. As it stands, there's no point to ever using it except to get a fast and dirty comparison.

Weapons for Sale:
http://www.elanthipedia.org/wiki/User:Caraamon#Wares
Hunta Talna Kortok, built by Gor'Togs, for Gor'Togs
http://www.angelfire.com/rpg2/caraamon/home.html
Combat Balance List:
http://tinyurl.com/DRBalance
Re: Blunts Vs Other Damage Types 02/09/2013 08:00 AM CST
Compare is definately less than a category. I want to say it's 3 points on damage stats, but it may be different on balance/suite.

>>You are certain that the javelin is about as balanced as the giant mallet.

Could it come down to that thrusting weapons generally use higher to it attacks? thrust vs swing etc...

Codiax.
Forged Weapons:
Re: Blunts Vs Other Damage Types 02/09/2013 01:51 PM CST
>>Could it come down to that thrusting weapons generally use higher to it attacks? thrust vs swing etc...

Could also be this, although jab/thrust/lunge match the help output for feint/swing/bash as far as accuracy goes. If you're using attack it would be hard to judge the to-hit accurately.
Re: Blunts Vs Other Damage Types 02/09/2013 07:07 PM CST
>>Could also be this, although jab/thrust/lunge match the help output for feint/swing/bash as far as accuracy goes. If you're using attack it would be hard to judge the to-hit accurately.

certainly true, it could really be just my imagination, but maybe I will throw a more formal test together sometime this week to see if there is a difference at all. I was playing with it today and I felt it was going ok so possibly it was just my imagination or where I compared the two side by side before it was just coincidence.

Also, they are 20 ranks apart as well (+ to polearms) It possibly could be that I am just being able to hit Assassins with those ranks with my mastery boost and dragon form boost.

Funny - mastery, which is basically a free skill you do nothing extra for, breaks global caps.

Codiax.
Forged Weapons:
Re: Blunts Vs Other Damage Types 02/10/2013 11:15 AM CST
>>Funny - mastery, which is basically a free skill you do nothing extra for, breaks global caps.

I don't understand this statement. Barbarians get no "mastery boost", unless you just meant the one from skill? Thrust/Swing/Slice have near-identical stats, as do LUNGE/BASH/CHOP.

Don't forget your particular enemy may have armor that is corrupting your testing. Hope to add that to the appraise skill at some point.

"I have no data yet. It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. Insensibly one begins to twist facts to suit theories instead of theories to suit facts."
- Sir Arthur Conan Doyle, Sherlock Holmes
Re: Blunts Vs Other Damage Types 02/10/2013 11:20 AM CST
>>I don't understand this statement. Barbarians get no "mastery boost", unless you just meant the one from skill? Thrust/Swing/Slice have near-identical stats, as do LUNGE/BASH/CHOP.

I believe he means there is no real cap (that I am aware of) to the skill boost that master can provide. If you have 800 melee mastery and 50 staves, if the mastery bonus calculations gives you 300 free ranks, so be it, you have 350 effective staves (or whatever).

Given that mastery skills exist solely for back-training and don't affect PvP or at-level hunting however, I don't feel they need to be capped.
Re: Blunts Vs Other Damage Types 02/10/2013 12:29 PM CST
>>I believe he means there is no real cap (that I am aware of) to the skill boost that master can provide.

^This. It's not a complaint it just got me thinking. I assume the mastery skill boost is independant of caps etc? Like in his example of 800 rank mastery and 50 staves giving a 300 rank boost. The boost from the skill is independant of abilities boosts so you can tack on another rank buff right?

Codiax.
Forged Weapons:
Re: Blunts Vs Other Damage Types 02/10/2013 12:52 PM CST
>>The boost from the skill is independant of abilities boosts so you can tack on another rank buff right?

This one can be confirmed with critter appraisal. Mastery skill changes your "base" ranks and is reflected in critter appraisal (which does not reflect buffs), and it can be further enhanced with abilities like Dragon or Eagle form.
Re: Blunts Vs Other Damage Types 02/11/2013 09:44 PM CST
I don't think the benefit from mastery ranks should really be considered a "bonus," for the same reason that high Perception helping you forage isn't thought of as a bonus subject to caps either. It's just a new type of skill check. Swinging a two-hander isn't a THE check any more, it's a THE/Melee Mastery check, and teaches like one. It just has the characteristic that bad Mastery can't make your skill worse.
Re: Blunts Vs Other Damage Types 03/03/2013 02:26 PM CST

Does shield slam, kick, or other blunt damage weapons have a bonus to force?