Prev_page Previous 1
Store bought blunts 07/05/2010 02:48 PM CDT
Right now I'm working all blunts, edges, offhand, heavy thrown, light thrown, pikes, and brawling. I only use store-bought weapons as that is all I can afford. Right now I use a cudgel (Crossing), mace (Crossing), tiger-toothed morning star (tiger clan), flail (Crossing). Is there anything I should replace immediately? 29 STR, 14 AGI, 22 STAM.

Also, to go blunt prime what would be my best choices for stat training?

Thank you.
Re: Store bought blunts 07/05/2010 03:13 PM CDT
>>Right now I use a cudgel (Crossing), mace (Crossing), tiger-toothed morning star (tiger clan), flail (Crossing). Is there anything I should replace immediately?

It's heavier (75 stones, I believe) but consider replacing the cudgel with a heavy bludgeon from Dirge. They're not too expensive, so even if it's too heavy, you haven't lost much. Hits substantially harder, though.

Replace the mace with a dwarven hammer, also from Dirge. They have heavy impact and nice balance for a blunt weapon (fair, I believe).

In the past I've liked the tiger-toothed morning star, can't think of something better off the top of my head there for store-bought.

Replace the crossing flail with a Steelclaw Clan flail. Same weight I believe, but with a higher impact damage rating. It can also be custom hafted. They run a few gold dokoras. Operating off the top of my head, but I think it's under a plat.

>>29 STR, 14 AGI, 22 STAM.
>>Also, to go blunt prime what would be my best choices for stat training?

Regardless of what weapon you want to use as primary, don't let that agility fall so far behind. Which you should first prioritize really depends on your guild as far as I'm concerned. Each guild has particular abilities to buff/debuff/etc. that are worthy of consideration as far as determining early-game priority stats. The best general advice I'd give for someone low circle going blunt primary would be to keep agility and reflex well trained (reflex because if you're training parry in particular with blunt weapons, you'll need it and agility because blunts typically have pretty sad balance, and you'll need it to hit with more regularity).

That said, it's a little too early in my opinion, for you to worry much about training for a particular set of weapons. My suggestion would be to even your stats all out to about 30 across the board, then address those areas (RT, fatigue, learning rate) that you feel are in need of improvement.

Ogdaro
Re: Store bought blunts 07/05/2010 03:21 PM CDT
Thanks for the advice. I'm a barb, using zerks for now. Not too interested in dancing but definitely want to incorporate roars, though I did waste my first on Kuniyo on accident.

I really prefer the speed at my circle to get better weapon ranks faster (slow weapons 2hb and 2he just fill slower though bigger hits) and I train my lore and survival pretty hard so I like to fill my weapon/armor pool then head home (right now appraisal is my best skill at 80, circle 14)
Re: Store bought blunts 07/05/2010 04:16 PM CDT
As a barb using berserks, don't worry too much about stamina. It will shift a bit with the combat changes, but for now berserking = infinite fatigue. You'll be able to keep using berserks a good long time yet for that and other effects.

>>I did waste my first on Kuniyo on accident.

I am so sorry.

>>I train my lore and survival pretty hard so I like to fill my weapon/armor pool then head home

This is similar to what I do, it's a good way to go, particularly with the way experience works now. Of my "non-combat" skills, I've got perception, FA, scholarship and appraisal all higher than my primary weapons, and I don't regret it at all.

Ogdaro
Re: Store bought blunts 07/05/2010 04:18 PM CDT
How did you get FA and scholarship up? I try with the leucro chart but my FA is dismal and scholarship not far behind dismal.
Re: Store bought blunts 07/05/2010 04:29 PM CDT
>>How did you get FA and scholarship up? I try with the leucro chart but my FA is dismal and scholarship not far behind dismal.

Kind of off topic for here, but I'll answer.. any more questions and maybe let's move it to somewhere in the barb folder.

Anyhow, once you get scholarship to around 50-60 ranks (best way is just to listen to classes during downtime from hunting) fill a compendium with 10 of the PC race charts. Study that every 5 minutes (you can even study them in combat while working defenses for instance).

Once I added that to my combat and non-combat scripts FA went from 100ish ranks behind my weapons to about 25 ranks higher than them where I am now. Weapons are now starting to catch up with scholarship as they all close in on 300's though, but that's just a skillset thing to be expected.

Ogdaro
Re: Store bought blunts 07/05/2010 04:33 PM CDT
Thanks Ogdaro,

I'll keep the rest on topic in the appropriate folders but I think I have a good bit for now to digest.
Re: Store bought blunts 07/05/2010 04:40 PM CDT
Oggy's hit it right on the head pretty much.

Unfortunately, right now the best blunts (in my opinion) are all festival gear. This is hopefully going to change with the new combat system, as what makes a good blunt will be different.

Magic's Death Caraamon Makdasi, Gor'Tog Barbarian
Hunta Talna Kortok, built by Gor'Togs, for Gor'Togs
http://www.angelfire.com/rpg2/caraamon/home.html
Blunts for Sale:
http://www.elanthipedia.com/wiki/User:Caraamon#Wares
Re: Store bought blunts 07/05/2010 05:06 PM CDT
For the economy of the issue, best vs. affordable are still forged though, yes?
Re: Store bought blunts 07/05/2010 05:53 PM CDT
>For the economy of the issue, best vs. affordable are still forged though, yes?

Okay, this is my opinion:

For pure damage, forged wins, though many of them are pretty heavy.
However, if you want any real balance (which for now is fairly important), you generally need festival stuff.

So, yes, for things that are easy to get for a reasonable price, forged is generally best.

Blunts for Sale:
Re: Store bought blunts 07/05/2010 06:05 PM CDT
Thanks Caraamon. Considering the appraisals Magdar posted on his festival weapons I do see your point. <BR> In general, what is a good set of forged blunts to get someone into a festival-cash producing circle? I'm expecting around 40-60 plat of outlay for performance? Also, what would you start with, disregarding preference of roleplay in blunt usage.
Re: Store bought blunts 07/05/2010 06:27 PM CDT
>In general, what is a good set of forged blunts to get someone into a festival-cash producing circle? I'm expecting around 40-60 plat of outlay for performance?

That depends a lot on your stats. Generally speaking, I would go for the heaviest forged blunts you feel comfortable with. The heavier they are, the more damage they do, the slower they are and the less balanced they are. However, with the testing I've done, I haven't honestly seen much different in effectiveness no matter where in the dismal range you are (only one blunt I make is above dismal balance).

If you're going to use them at all, I'd stick with at least heavy or twohanded, because medium and light are underwhelming. Not short staff/sling bad, but still not great.

I sell my blunts for 15 plat each, regardless if you buy them directly or through my distributor. Check my sig for the stuff I make and feel free to IM me at CaraamonDR if you want to place an order.

>Also, what would you start with, disregarding preference of roleplay in blunt usage.

If you're talking from pure scratch, I'd say don't start with blunts at all. Blunts take a fairly large investment in stats and defensive skills to use. I'd start with a couple edges and slowly work your way up to blunts.

Under the current set of combat rules, you're going to want a lot of strength and stamina to use them well (30ish in both is a good starting point for serious use, especially for heavy and twohanded blunt), and a good training in shield and evasion, because parrying with blunts is usually a bad idea.

You can start using them before this, but depending on your setup you may end up hitting some problems.

Blunts for Sale:
Re: Store bought blunts 07/05/2010 07:25 PM CDT
I'd try and pick up one of the adan'f hammers. Might need someone to get them for you though.

If your training all the blunts those are one of the better medium blunts your going to find.

I know theres a real nice light blunt sold on one of the islands. Has an odd name to it, so maybe Aesry?

I wish, I wish he’d go away...
Re: Store bought blunts 07/05/2010 08:01 PM CDT
>>I'd try and pick up one of the adan'f hammers. Might need someone to get them for you though.

Just in case anybody didn't know, the adan'f hammers (srhhtel or something like that) have the exact same stats as the dwarven hammer I mentioned, sold in Dirge. For young characters it's probably easier all-in-all just to plunk down the few silvers.

Ogdaro
Re: Store bought blunts 07/05/2010 09:07 PM CDT
I did pick up the dwarven hammer and it is superior in use to the mace. RT is the same at my stats, 29 str, 14 agi, and hits harder. Plus, the fact that a bundle of gob skins is nearly a plat makes it a no brainer. I don't have the bankroll for a full set of forged weapons but with beisswurm bundles selling for 1.5 - 2 plat it's not to much of a stretch for lower level players. Planning my purchases per hunt(s) is fun.

I've kept at a critter till it wouldn't teach anymore so my defenses are good and training blunts is no problem, parry or shield. I'm just not seeing the return of slower weapon rt to teaching that I am with faster weapons/lighter hits. LB always locks faster than HB or 2HB with exact same ranks. However 2HE outmatches everything but my primary edges. I'm hoping dropping TPDs into agility until it matches strength shortens the gap.
Re: Store bought blunts 07/05/2010 09:24 PM CDT
I'm working blunts for the first time ever and LOVE them. I'm also using all storebought on my young barb. I use the heavy bludgeon, dwarven hammer, morning star from Urglub's Squishing Emporium or something like that, and the flail from steel claw clan.

I imagine I'll work on getting some forged blunts at some point, but for now the storebought stuff is working just great. Oh, and I dance Cobra back to back at 22nd circle, no berserks.

Clerics are on the sectual radar.

Just to be clear - I didn't do it. Not sure who did, but it wasn't me.

- GM Raesh
Re: Store bought blunts 07/09/2010 02:13 PM CDT
I'd get the light blunt weapon from Boar clan for (can't remember the name offhand) and a shhr'tel (sp?) hammer from adan'f for medium blunt. Do not use the light blunt sold in Dirge.

>describe boar
It's a boar. It doesn't like you.
Re: Store bought blunts 07/09/2010 02:16 PM CDT
>Just in case anybody didn't know, the adan'f hammers (srhhtel or something like that) have the exact same stats as the dwarven hammer I mentioned, sold in Dirge.

True, forgot about that.

>describe boar
Re: Store bought blunts 07/09/2010 03:25 PM CDT
Komno for MB. Sold on...one of the islands.

Madigan
Re: Store bought blunts 07/10/2010 01:58 AM CDT
>> Komno for MB. Sold on...one of the islands.

Yes... the Island of Leth Deriel. You get there by sailing west from any of the other islands. Sold at Yithye's Wooden Shack for 7.5 plat.

The 50-stone Komno appraises the same as the Dwarven and Srhhtel hammers (no/no/heavy,f/r) and it weighs 5 stones less. However, if you're strapped for cash, you may want to go for the much cheaper Dwarven hammer. Only 1 gold in Dirge.

Also, the Horseman's Mace in Theren Keep is the lightest store-bought MB (only 40 stone) with the same impact damage as the hammers mentioned above, but a little less balanced and suited. It might be a good choice for characters with less than 30 STR/AGIL/STAM, if you want a lower RT and less fatigue issues. At 30 STR/AGIL, you'll get 1/3 RT on the Horseman's Mace but 4/4 on the Dwarven Hammer. (You can get 1/2 RT on the mace at 35 STR/AGIL, too).
Re: Store bought blunts 07/11/2010 02:35 PM CDT
>>I'd get the light blunt weapon from Boar clan for (can't remember the name offhand)

Hefty bludgeon. n/n/mod 40 stones or 45 stones? not sure.

Just an aside, the new granite LB's appraise exactly the same, are 5 stones lighter and better constructed.

Vote DR as TOP MUD: http://www.topmudsites.com/vote-cemm.html
Re: Store bought blunts 07/11/2010 06:08 PM CDT
>Just an aside, the new granite LB's appraise exactly the same, are 5 stones lighter and better constructed.

As soon as it gets released in TF I plan to be testing it.

>describe boar
Re: Store bought blunts 07/12/2010 09:34 AM CDT
>>As soon as it gets released in TF I plan to be testing it.

Cool, I look forward to your results. I double checked the weight and it is actualy 29 stones. thats a good bit lighter if I recall correctly.

Vote DR as TOP MUD: http://www.topmudsites.com/vote-cemm.html
Re: Store bought blunts 07/12/2010 02:12 PM CDT
A granite bludgeon is a light blunt melee-ranged weapon.

You are certain that it could do:
no puncture damage
no slice damage
moderate impact damage

You are certain that the bludgeon is poorly balanced and is fairly suited to gaining extra attack power from your strength.

You are certain that the granite bludgeon is moderately strong, and is in pristine condition.

You are certain that the stone in the granite bludgeon has a quality of 70, placing it at 'high quality' on the offical Trader's Scale.
You are certain that the stone in the granite bludgeon has a hardness of 70, placing it at 'difficult to scratch' on the offical Trader's Scale.
You are certain that the stone in the granite bludgeon has a durability of 50, placing it at 'decent durability' on the offical Trader's Scale.
You are certain that the stone in the granite bludgeon has a workability of 40, placing it at 'challenging to work with' on the offical Trader's Scale.
You guess that the granite bludgeon probably weighs a few tens of stones.
You are certain that the granite bludgeon is worth exactly 225 kronars.
Roundtime: 16 seconds.

You deeply analyze the bludgeon and pour over its construction.
This appears to be a type of finished stone blunt weapon that is masterfully-crafted.
The bludgeon is an easy piece to make.
It was made by someone with abilities close to your own skill.
This item is made with granite stone.
Roundtime: 8 sec.

I 99% sure they weigh 28 stones.
Re: Store bought blunts 07/12/2010 04:07 PM CDT
does anyone have any idea of a mob that uses a HB, preferablly not a very difficult one? I can't use store-bought, I can't afford Caaramon's nice looking pieces yet, and the granite mallet I am using for training hits worse than my store bought bludgeon. :)
Re: Store bought blunts 07/12/2010 04:22 PM CDT
>I can't use store-bought

I have to ask, why not? Even ranger/necros should be able to run in and buy stuff.

>does anyone have any idea of a mob that uses a HB

Possibly scavenger gobs in Xings, or kobolds (dead and living) in Shard
Re: Store bought blunts 07/12/2010 04:24 PM CDT
I seem to remember some form of swamp troll using HB mauls. Never hunted them personally though, so I might be mistaken.

Ogdaro
Re: Store bought blunts 07/12/2010 04:36 PM CDT
The one's further south in the Fens, the ones with shields, use some kind of maul.
Re: Store bought blunts 07/12/2010 04:50 PM CDT
>>The one's further south in the Fens, the ones with shields, use some kind of maul.

Turns out to be the Mace kind of maul, and a Medium Blunt.
Re: Store bought blunts 07/12/2010 05:04 PM CDT
There are heavy-blunt using swampies too. But you might have better luck snagging a heavy-blunt from one of the wood trolls up in Ker Leor.

Sometimes the key to happiness is not assuming it is locked in the first place- Ziggy

A journey of a thousand SMILES begins with a single step- Ziggy
Re: Store bought blunts 07/12/2010 05:23 PM CDT
honestly, I haven't been able to use a shop since 2nd circle. get arrested every time I try. (and I'm 20th now, so we're talking weeks(for me, anyways))

Never really did anything "that" wrong, except for one time not realizing that the silverfish under the warehouse was a justice area and summoning a dirt construct... but that was a long time ago. I've about figured out that I am simply never allowed to use a shop again... so I have to do what I can do to get what I need... goblins were a big help, but they don't have a HB or 2HE, so I gotta find that. Scavenging the charity chests around town also helped.

HOnestly, the fact that I am completely unable to use the bank has been way more of a pain/challenge. I've lost 30 plat at least in coin to various deaths... stupid RP choice, not getting favors, ever. :)

In any event, Swampies are too difficult, but I can handle woodies... now to figure out where Ker Leor is...
Re: Store bought blunts 07/12/2010 05:41 PM CDT
Ker Leor wood trolls are significantly more difficult than crossing wood trolls.
Re: Store bought blunts 07/12/2010 05:42 PM CDT
Plus, you have to wade through Marauders and Vines and wood troll area is crawling with Marauders.
Re: Store bought blunts 07/12/2010 05:47 PM CDT
The last few times I was up in marauders I didn't see any wood trolls, do they still gen there?
Re: Store bought blunts 07/12/2010 05:57 PM CDT
Sounds like your social outrage is high. Try this. One night don't log out, find a safe place (like your guild) and stay there all night. See if it helps? May take a few nights of this if you still have that much SO after a few weeks.

You could also assist and ask a gamehost/gm to check and see if something is wrong and causing your SO to be higher than it should be, and not decay properly.
Re: Store bought blunts 07/12/2010 06:04 PM CDT
I haven't been there in years but if I remember correctly it is passed the tree at the very north end of the vine/marauder area. They don't gen in the vine marauder area at all. North of vines it is marauder/troll only.
Re: Store bought blunts 07/12/2010 06:30 PM CDT
yeah, they are way too hard... and the mauls are 2HB, unfortunately. :) Any other ideas?
Re: Store bought blunts 07/12/2010 06:42 PM CDT
>yeah, they are way too hard... and the mauls are 2HB, unfortunately. :) Any other ideas?

Investigate the actual mechanics as to why you're so hated, tone it down a little, and be able to store shop again?

It really shouldn't take a whole lot of effort, and is the simplest solution.
Re: Store bought blunts 07/12/2010 06:55 PM CDT
You know if you were up for taking a chance you could have fun trying to convince a lower level character to go buy one for you. Come up with a convincing story, and go find someone in rats or some other area. Probably will get you killed if the player is a jerk, but if you can find someone who is playing a inexperienced character who would like the RP, you might make it work. Just don't try it on a MM or cleric.
Re: Store bought blunts 07/12/2010 06:58 PM CDT
actually, did talk to a GH about it, and aparently I cycled off the original event by trying to access services too often after I was high on the SO, and it stacked up to a massive level... so I'm gonna give the town a bit to forget me and see, of course, now I'm on the cusp of becoming perverse... so there's always that...

On the other, I've had several good experiences with the RP of getting stuff that I've "needed" over the circles. it's actually pretty fun.

And yeah, I didn't know the MM thing until one shot me. That was unpleasant.

:)
Prev_page Previous 1