Which blunt? 12/01/2009 03:02 PM CST
I'm curious, which blunt weapon skill do people feel is most viable at higher ranks? I'm playing a Barbarian that is going to be agility-heavy and lower on strength/stam, so I was thinking of training MB to take advantage of the better balanced weapons. But, does MB hit sufficiently hard at higher ranks? I own some very nice HB and 2HB weapons.
Re: Which blunt? 12/01/2009 03:10 PM CST
Admittedly, I'm HE-prime. But I've never been disappointed with the performance of my horseman's mace. As an elf- even one with fairly high strength for my race- weight is important. And the horseman's mace is one of the lightest ones in-game.

Ryeka

Sometimes the key to happiness is not assuming it is locked in the first place- Ziggy

A journey of a thousand SMILES begins with a single step- Ziggy
Re: Which blunt? 12/03/2009 01:28 PM CST
I would recommend HB.

MB can be better balanced than other blunts. And by can be, i mean one weapon template - the dwarven hammer. 55 stones, heavy impact/fairly balanced/reasonably suited. Any more impact and you drop balance significatly.

HB, you don't have the illusion of a better balanced blunt, you just grab one that smacks the crap out of things. Also, in my experience - HB knocks things out of hands and knocks stuff off balance MUCH more than medium.

but that's just my 2 cents.
Re: Which blunt? 12/05/2009 09:16 AM CST
I love 2HB and wouldn't trade it for the world. By far its the most fun I've ever had training a weapon in DR. I do have roundtime/stamina issues being an elf commoner... but I don't care because smashing things into bits is fun.
Re: Which blunt? 12/05/2009 12:12 PM CST
I use HB with a 54 stone morning star as my 3rd weapon. At 200 ranks, it effectivly demolishes gryphons between Shard and Raven's Point, with nearly every stike knocking a gryphon down, killing its balance. Against baddies that weild weapons and shields it is also effective in breaking limbs, causing weapon drops. The RT I have with 40/40/40 str/agil/stam is 3-4-4 but I can get it down to 2-3-3 with bear or dragon dance, or an offensive serk.

C
Re: Which blunt? 12/05/2009 12:35 PM CST
MB vs. HB...

I've got a 70 stone MB that's severe impact now. Is there an inherent advantage to the HB template over MB that would cause less knockdown, etc.. with MB?

I'm trying to figure out if it's worth backtraining 150 ranks to use a stronger class of weapon, since my MB should be hitting just as hard as HBs...

- The Moose
Re: Which blunt? 12/05/2009 12:35 PM CST
I really enjoy HB and 2HB as well, for the big hit and knockdown factor. I'm just worried about the combat rewrite. I'm leveling an Elven Barbarian who is going to have significantly more agility than strength and I hope that I won't regret sticking with two-handed weapons once the new combat comes out.
Re: Which blunt? 12/05/2009 02:16 PM CST
>>I've got a 70 stone MB that's severe impact now. Is there an inherent advantage to the HB template over MB that would cause less knockdown, etc.. with MB?

I think it all goes back to the buggy force of impact stuff, but yes, i believe only HB/2HB really smack stuff down and around like ragdolls. But i've only taken MB up to 130 ranks or so. But even when MB/HB were even around 50 ranks i noticed a world of difference.
Re: Which blunt? 12/05/2009 04:58 PM CST
I was afraid this would be the answer...

Time to slowly workup HB to replace MB I guess. I love blunt weapons, but I'm keeping my character to mainly one handed weapons for various reasons... At least it's a simple enough skill to backtrain by just moving it into the rotation.

- The Moose
Re: Which blunt? 12/06/2009 11:39 AM CST
I wouldn't feel compelled to backtrain HB over MB, personally. Generally I prefer MB over HB if I'm pushing my limits at all. That's with 415-420 in both.
Re: Which blunt? 12/06/2009 12:30 PM CST
While we're talking about blunts, does anyone care to recommend a 'good' HB that's one handed?

I picked up the maul from Haven because it was fairly balanced, but it's heavy as sin and I find the damage to be lackluster (snowies and Meys take 2-4 times longer to kill with HB than HE).

Even brawling is doing better than HB, at 20 ranks lower.
Re: Which blunt? 12/06/2009 12:40 PM CST
>>Generally I prefer MB over HB

Can you explain that a bit? I'd really like to make the best choice I can here and you tend to have good reasons for stuff. Being able to make a firm decision would ease a lot of annoying second guessing of myself.

I love blunt combat, but I'm not able to keep too many moving and enjoy combat without it turning into a total grind.

Thanks!

- The Moose
Re: Which blunt? 12/06/2009 04:05 PM CST
>While we're talking about blunts, does anyone care to recommend a 'good' HB that's one handed?

>I picked up the maul from Haven because it was fairly balanced, but it's heavy as sin and I find the damage to be lackluster (snowies and Meys take 2-4 times longer to kill with HB than HE).

If you're talking about store bought, I always heard that the tiger-toothed morning star from Tiger Clan was one of the better ones, at 55 stone.

Personally, for training HB I used to use a square-faced throwing hammer which is HB/HT, because it weighs only 40. Now, I'm using the iron-capped war club crafted from a large femur which is swappable HB/2HB.
Re: Which blunt? 12/06/2009 04:07 PM CST
Oh, how could I forget; for a good store-bought heavy blunt, try the ukabi from the weapon shop in Leth Deriel. Great impact dmg and only 46 stone.
Re: Which blunt? 12/06/2009 06:07 PM CST
For MB I'd recommend the horseman's mace, or any variety of N/N/ 40 stone festival blunts.
Re: Which blunt? 12/06/2009 07:16 PM CST
MB is generally better balanced, which helps when you're at the cusp of your ability. Keep in mind, this is my opinion based on having nearly equal stats (99 agility, 93 strength).
Re: Which blunt? 12/06/2009 07:24 PM CST
Interesting. Most of the heavier hitting maces are poorly balanced vs. dismal on the heavy blunts.

Does that one category show noticeably, or are you using a lighter more balanced mace with a bit less impact?

- The Moose
Re: Which blunt? 12/06/2009 07:54 PM CST
It really depends on what you're fighting. If I'm fighting something that can parry, I prefer better balance. Right now I'm ambushing super celps which are fairly easy for me, so I go with a heavy forged mace. In general, for characters with a bit more normal stats, I really like the bone clubs from the last fest.
Re: Which blunt? 12/06/2009 11:39 PM CST
>>It really depends on what you're fighting. If I'm fighting something that can parry, I prefer better balance. Right now I'm ambushing super celps which are fairly easy for me, so I go with a heavy forged mace. In general, for characters with a bit more normal stats, I really like the bone clubs from the last fest.

Using all of my Cleric cheats, I can successfully hit caracals with 100 MB with the fest bone club.
Re: Which blunt? 12/07/2009 12:41 AM CST
I only backtrain HB, but I use my throwing hammer. It cant parry for anything, but its a blunt and I dont expect it to. So since I use it after throwing, I'm already stanced shield.

Its not hard to start attack phase with it. Not to mention, I already have it handy for the HT. I adore any weapon with more functions.

Alexii points at a Velakan slaver and shouts, "Another one! Don't let it get away!"
Re: Which blunt? 12/07/2009 03:40 AM CST
Mkay, I think I'll revise my plan and just start working HB into the rotation on the mid-upper levels of critter caps instead then and just enjoy both.

I only train one blade at level, two blunts seems more fun to me anyways.

- The Moose
Re: Which blunt? 12/07/2009 03:01 PM CST
>While we're talking about blunts, does anyone care to recommend a 'good' HB that's one handed?

If you can find one, my favorite melee weapon in the game is the polished steel ukabi with a something something owl feathers. If I'm remembering correctly it's 46 stone, poor balance, severe impact.

I had one, stored it in a noob character's vault, forgot about it, and rerolled the noob 5 seconds before I remembered I had put it there along with about 100 quads. :(
Re: Which blunt? 12/07/2009 03:02 PM CST
On a related note, if somebody has a polished steel ukabi with a something something owl feathers, I'd like to buy it from them.

My AIM is MizoDR.
Re: Which blunt? 12/07/2009 09:10 PM CST
The HB's in the barb shop in the Crossing guild aren't too bad, the morning star and the ball&chain
Re: Which blunt? 12/08/2009 07:47 AM CST
<<I had one, stored it in a noob character's vault, forgot about it, and rerolled the noob 5 seconds before I remembered I had put it there along with about 100 quads. :(

Ouch.

Madigan

"le rage du paladine" Korsik
Re: Which blunt? 12/08/2009 11:34 AM CST
I actually cringed a little in sympathy when I read that and I don't even use crossbow.

Rev. Reene

"I used to appreciate these stars just for their beautiful form, but now I can't help a twinge of feeling that it is uncannily like looking down the barrel of a rifle." - Peter Tuthill
Re: Which blunt? 12/08/2009 11:49 AM CST
Yeah, I was not a happy camper. Once I realized what I'd done I went outside, tracked down a small woodland animal, and punched it.
Re: Which blunt? 12/10/2009 07:08 PM CST
Character Restore?

TG, TG, GL, et al.
Also: Moo.