So how do points work? 10/10/2008 12:21 AM CDT
What determines how many points you get?

How often can you fight the same person and still get points? So far I haven't fought the same person twice, but I assume there is some sort of safeguard in place to prevent someone from just killing a friend of theirs over and over and over.

How much do circle differences matter?

I am all curiousity.

Dragonrealms Tourney Calendar: http://tourneydr.com
Re: So how do points work? 10/10/2008 02:53 PM CDT
Are you talking about the Barbarian pit? If so, the entire point system is based off circle relative to oneself. If you pit spar someone who has a higher circle than yourself, you'll be rewarded more points if you win. Likewise, if you pit spar someone who has a smaller circle than yourself, you'll be rewarded less points.

The max amount of points you can gain in one pit spar is 100 points. The smallest amount you can gain is 10 points.

Same thing in reverse if you lose. The most points you can lose in one pit spar is 100 points. The least you can lose is 10 points. It's why I try to encourage folks to pit spar anyone since if you're outclassed, you won't lose many points anyway.

If you leave out of the pit while someone else is in there with you then you lose half of your pit points. I remember waiting for a long for the person to figure out how to type 'GO PORT' and I left just as he walked in and lost so many points. I'd probably still be on Navak's heels if that didn't happen. :(

Also, you can spar the same person over and over. So yes, technically, you can rack up points if a friend is willing to die again and again. I know someone used to offer plats for people to take a dive but got their points stripped from the GMs. Think it was Slaris.

Vinjince

"There are five possible operations for any army. If you can fight, fight; if you cannot fight, defend; if you cannot defend, flee; if you cannot flee, surrender; if you cannot surrender, die."

- Sima Yi
Re: So how do points work? 10/10/2008 06:15 PM CDT
Speaking of the pit, what would get you guys to start using it more, outside of not actually dying when you lose?

~GM Aurdun
Barbarians' Guild Advocate
Gor'Tog Co-Champion
History Guru

"Don't use logic on scientists. That's just mean." ~ GM Zeyurn
Re: So how do points work? 10/10/2008 06:52 PM CDT
>>Speaking of the pit, what would get you guys to start using it more, outside of not actually dying when you lose?

The pit specifically, or an arena in general?

With the pit, the biggest issue seems to be that everyone knows it favors barbs (dances/roars allowed, no spells of any sort allowed, crap points for killing people lower circle/giant points for killing someone bigger circle), which greatly limits people who are willing to even step foot in it. Maybe a way to set rules (i.e. buff spells only to counteract dances, make roars/spells on/offable), not sure if the coding would allow the arena to differentiate between things in such a way and on/off such things based on the rules told to the pit boss or whatever. (Personally I think all offensive magics and roars shouldn't be useable, it really should stay as a contest of weapon skills, not who has the most charisma/magic).

Make the calculation for points based on skills (defense + offense, tho it has it's own associated issues) instead of circle perhaps (again, no idea how hard that would be to code).

It's been a long time since I actually went into the pit, so not sure if the point board resets after a certain time or not. If not, it should after x time. The titles associated with it are kinda nice, and people like earning them.
Re: So how do points work? 10/10/2008 07:27 PM CDT
<<Speaking of the pit, what would get you guys to start using it more, outside of not actually dying when you lose?>>

Either get rid of the barbarian buffs being used in there or allow non-barbarian buffs.

The ability to use ranged and stealth combat

Team combats. - have points based off who you kill and than a bonus awarded to the members of the winning team. This means that even if your team loses you can get points for your own kills.

Yamcer

"You know, while I understand the importance of seeing the (personal) validity in other's arguments, it's impossible for me to believe fully that others are correct. If their argument was correct, I'd change mine." - My GF
Re: So how do points work? 10/10/2008 07:48 PM CDT
>>Team combats. - have points based off who you kill and than a bonus awarded to the members of the winning team. This means that even if your team loses you can get points for your own kills.

FFA combat too! =)
Re: So how do points work? 10/10/2008 08:33 PM CDT
+ Ability to choose multiple rooms (up to 5?).
+ Ability to choose among different rule setups. ("Barb Rules" "No Rules" "No Magic" "No stealth" etc)
+ Group combat, or at least combat for more than 2 people. I actually don't know if this is possible now, heh, otherwise disregard. Make group combat go on a separate board (or not at all) just so that people aren't afraid to tourney just 'cause they want to maintain their scores. (The complaining about teams would multiply many many times if group combat could affect pit scores...I shudder to think.)

Right now (in my admittedly extremely limited experience) it seems like the main things that differentiates the pit from a straight challenge is the rule restrictions and the scoreboards. I think the rule restrictions generally deter people, and the scoreboard attracts people.

So maybe relax the rule restrictions (allowing different rule setups), and create scoreboards for each rule set.

I feel kind of like allowing magic in the arena goes against the Barbarian philosophy, but it would attract a lot more people to the pit -- people that Barbarians can then pummel mercilessly.

Re: So how do points work? 10/10/2008 09:08 PM CDT
Magic in the Barb arena isn't going to happen. {g}

~GM Aurdun
Gor'Tog Co-Champion
History Guru

Re: So how do points work? 10/10/2008 09:58 PM CDT
>>Magic in the Barb arena isn't going to happen.<<

Then the pit will continue to see little to no use at all.

Life is too short to drink cheap beer.
Re: So how do points work? 10/10/2008 10:02 PM CDT
I started to suggest that the WM guild sponsor an arena that allowed magic. But then I realized that I would be suggesting that the WM guild gank another guild's ability, and now I am confused.

Cats and dogs sleeping together, etc.

Re: So how do points work? 10/10/2008 10:28 PM CDT
It's by no means Barb exclusive. If the Warrior Mages want to build an arena that allows magic, then by all means. While I'd love to see the pit used more often, I can't see an arena built into the Barbarians' Guild being a place to showcase magic at all.

~GM Aurdun
Gor'Tog Co-Champion
History Guru

Re: So how do points work? 10/11/2008 04:54 AM CDT
NPC Raising Cleric and NPC Empath in there which we get drug to.

______
Kertig Heart Magdar Bluefletch, Legendary Barbarian of M'Riss
Re: So how do points work? 10/11/2008 10:31 AM CDT
>>Right now (in my admittedly extremely limited experience) it seems like the main things that differentiates the pit from a straight challenge is the rule restrictions and the scoreboards. I think the rule restrictions generally deter people, and the scoreboard attracts people.<<

- Mazrian

The Flying Company
http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d194/huldahspal/flyingcompany.png
Re: So how do points work? 10/11/2008 10:46 AM CDT
The Barb pit should never allow magic, simply because it's the Barbarian Pit. I don't think it should allow more than 1 vs. 1 either. Ranged weapons and stealth maybe (though I prefer it be melee only), but nothing more than that.

It's a traditional arena that will have its uses and always be feared as The Pit. An arena that others are literally (and I mean literally) afraid to step in with a Barb. People that don't really play Barbarians probably wouldn't understand why we would want to keep it similar to how it already is.

As far as the death part... I think it's what makes the Pit what it is. Now, it would be cool if there was an NPC Cleric and Empath there to help someone AFTER they die, but if not then I say it's fine as is.

>>Then the pit will continue to see little to no use at all.

The Pit sees more use than any arena in the game. All it takes is some organizing, ask Maulem's player. It's not much different than the tournaments that Szrael runs. If someone is willing to organize Pit nights (as Maulem did) then it gets plenty of use.

If anyone is concerned about a Barb using his or her's abilities then you can just ask them not to use them. Simple as that.

With all of that said... I do want an entirely different arena built. I don't want to change the Barb arena into something else, I want a new one. One that supports team battles, that allows magic, and basically runs similar to the cemetary tournaments. A system that drags eliminated folks out of the 5 room area and into the hands of a waiting NPC Empath. An arena in a conventiently located part of the game (not in some far corner in P5! :P). A win-loss or point system that tracks everyone and awards titles based on performance. Szrael mentioned some others as well.

I spoke to Solomon and a few others at the Con and they seemed interested in making something like that for us. I think this would be HUGE for the game. Not only would it draw more people back to the game, but I think along with the profile system it'll get rid of some headaches for the GMs since people will keep themselves busy more often.

Vinjince

"There are five possible operations for any army. If you can fight, fight; if you cannot fight, defend; if you cannot defend, flee; if you cannot flee, surrender; if you cannot surrender, die."

- Sima Yi
Re: So how do points work? 10/11/2008 11:16 AM CDT
<<I do want an entirely different arena built. I don't want to change the Barb arena into something else, I want a new one. One that supports team battles, that allows magic, and basically runs similar to the cemetary tournaments. A system that drags eliminated folks out of the 5 room area and into the hands of a waiting NPC Empath. An arena in a conventiently located part of the game (not in some far corner in P5! :P). A win-loss or point system that tracks everyone and awards titles based on performance.

Agree 99%. Don't steal barb stuff, make a new arena, the cemetary++.

My only minor disagreement is with a mandatory win-loss point system. I think that would lead to more complaining and conservative strategies. Make "playing for points" optional.

-Sephos
Re: So how do points work? 10/11/2008 11:48 AM CDT
Well, at some point, it's not going to make much sense to have a separate arena for each possible permutation of rules.

So we have a Warrior Mage arena that allows magic, but no roars (just for spite) and also no windows to keep Moon Mages in line. Then we'll need a Thief Arena in the middle of the city to screw up the Ranger bonus. Then the Rangers will want one outside the town walls with their own bonus, but no roof so Bard instruments get wet.

That doesn't sound reasonable to me.

Solomon

"The probability of someone making a mathematical formulation on a non-mathematical subject is inversely proportional to its usefulness."
- Brust's Law of Mathematical Formulations

http://www.myspace.com/simutronicsdragonrealms
Re: So how do points work? 10/11/2008 12:10 PM CDT
To be honest, it's not so much as having a separate arena for rules to restrict other guilds and make us the best, it's mainly because the Barb Pit has a nice history. It's not like it never existed and we would suddenly want an arena to ban magic-using guilds and stealth to favor Barbs. We're already severely lacking on lore so it'd just kind of suck to see what I consider to be one of the intriguing systems of our guild transformed completely.

Now, if I had the choice? I'd choose a cemetary-style arena automatically. So more than anything, I just want that arena!

Vinjince

- Sima Yi
Re: So how do points work? 10/11/2008 01:42 PM CDT
>>Now, if I had the choice? I'd choose a cemetary-style arena automatically. So more than anything, I just want that arena!<<

Good mana, multiple rooms, a space free of bystanders, and a seating area from which people could observe a competition would make the arena a win.

- Mazrian

The Flying Company
http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d194/huldahspal/flyingcompany.png
Re: So how do points work? 10/11/2008 01:46 PM CDT
<<To be honest, it's not so much as having a separate arena for rules to restrict other guilds and make us the best, it's mainly because the Barb Pit has a nice history.>>

Well, isn't there a difference between the Pit and the Arena that's around the corner from the guild? Or are they the same. I've never been inside them, but I was under the impression that there was a Pit inside the guild, but also the Crossing Arena that's down the street.

Solomon

"The probability of someone making a mathematical formulation on a non-mathematical subject is inversely proportional to its usefulness."
- Brust's Law of Mathematical Formulations

http://www.myspace.com/simutronicsdragonrealms
Re: So how do points work? 10/11/2008 02:10 PM CDT
>>Well, isn't there a difference between the Pit and the Arena that's around the corner from the guild? Or are they the same. I've never been inside them, but I was under the impression that there was a Pit inside the guild, but also the Crossing Arena that's down the street.

I've heard about the Crossing Arena but it has always been closed down or something. There's messaging in one of the rooms near the Barb guild about a Crossing arena being nearby but it's nowhere to be found. I could swear a GM once said that it was gonna be a work in progress but instead they created the one in Steelclaw Clan. I could be wrong, though.

Vinjince

- Sima Yi
Re: So how do points work? 10/11/2008 02:14 PM CDT
"<<I do want an entirely different arena built. I don't want to change the Barb arena into something else, I want a new one. One that supports team battles, that allows magic, and basically runs similar to the cemetary tournaments. A system that drags eliminated folks out of the 5 room area and into the hands of a waiting NPC Empath. An arena in a conventiently located part of the game (not in some far corner in P5! :P). A win-loss or point system that tracks everyone and awards titles based on performance."

Doesnt the SCC have most of the things you folks are asking for? Only difference I can think of is that you have to use the arenas weapons not your own

Thanks,
Kleis
Re: So how do points work? 10/11/2008 02:14 PM CDT
I believe it was Iayn who last looked at it and said Champions Arena was 1)too old to be compatible with the game/arena mechs anymore and 2)not likely to be included in future arena plans and thus would remain closed. Think it was during the opening of the Pit and the discussions surrounding that.

DISCLAIMER: THIS POSTER IS NOT A MEMBER OF STAFF AND HIS INFORMATION IS/MIGHT BE WRONG.
Re: So how do points work? 10/11/2008 02:47 PM CDT
I envisioned a single arena with all of the various rule sets represented, but if that is an impossibility, then a single five-room arena with no rules, neutral urban/wilderness, five rooms, three of which are connected and have decent life/holy/elemental, skylights for the MMs, viewing areas for onlookers or people who are out, the cool auto-drag to the death room upon being in dying state thing, with NPC Empaths and NPC-Rejuve Clerics, plus an adjacent room NPC'less room with good holy and life (so we can roll our own triage if such is available), and separate scoreboards for one-on-one and group combat...

would be cool with me.

Re: So how do points work? 10/11/2008 03:05 PM CDT
>>Doesnt the SCC have most of the things you folks are asking for? Only difference I can think of is that you have to use the arenas weapons not your own

Two main things with that one.

1. As you said, you gotta use the arena's weapons and armor. Kind of takes away the fun (especially for me since I use different LT weapons), as well give a major advantage (although I hate to bring it up) to those using magical spells instead of weapons.

2. Location. The reason why we have it in the cemetary is because it's right next to the Crossing, so it's much easier to get people to join. We got a couple folks to provide moongates but they may not always be around, and some players would prefer to stay in the surrounding area. Also, I don't think there's any NPC Clerics so if anyone end up dying then it may be harder to find Clerics around that area.

Vinjince

- Sima Yi
Re: So how do points work? 10/11/2008 05:32 PM CDT
>Speaking of the pit, what would get you guys to start using it more, outside of not actually dying when you lose?

Require a pit fight for Barbarians to advance every 10 levels or to get a new roar or unlearn a roar or unlearn magic ranks. Also, make more cool titles for any ranking on the scoreboard.

New studies show that Brawndo has the mana plants crave.
Re: So how do points work? 10/14/2008 12:27 PM CDT
I would use it more if khri were allowed considering its not magic and I've never seen a way to detect someone using it. Also does anyone know if the coin toss ability works in the pit? I've never seen a trader in there.
Re: So how do points work? 10/19/2008 02:40 AM CDT
>I would use it more if khri were allowed considering its not magic and I've never seen a way to detect someone using it. Also does anyone know if the coin toss ability works in the pit? I've never seen a trader in there.

LOL a trader in the pit. Only if they are organ donors

New studies show that Brawndo has the mana plants crave.
Re: So how do points work? 10/20/2008 09:17 AM CDT
Just make the pit straight up melee, no magic and no "special vodoo".

Madigan

When soldiers have been baptized in the fire of a battle-field, they have all one rank in my eyes.
Napoleon Bonaparte
Re: So how do points work? 11/27/2008 08:30 AM CST
Sorry for the late response here. Still catchin up on a LOT of board reading.

>>With all of that said... I do want an entirely different arena built. I don't want to change the Barb arena into something else, I want a new one. One that supports team battles, that allows magic, and basically runs similar to the cemetary tournaments. A system that drags eliminated folks out of the 5 room area and into the hands of a waiting NPC Empath. An arena in a conventiently located part of the game (not in some far corner in P5! :P). A win-loss or point system that tracks everyone and awards titles based on performance. Szrael mentioned some others as well.

Thanks for the Kudos, Vinnie. This idea of yours that I pasted above was essentially my vision for how I would've liked the Theren Amphitheater to be. As it stands currently, the Amphitheater IS in place, with viewing stands, and a nice triage room (and a really cool way to enter). It is literally all out, and the rules can be whatever the rules need to be for a given fight. I've hosted MANY fight nights up there, varying from individual weapon class fights, to magic only, to brawling, to bash and slam fests, and even all out/all in battle royales. Literally the only thing it is lacking is inclusion in the official points system, which while I'd still like to see done, would likely remove the current ability to hold team tests like the battle royale.

The thing about...well I'll avoid calling it PvP and instead call it gladitorial combat...is that it gives some of us an avenue to pit ourselves against other players and see where we measure up, and it gives others the opportunity to be entertained by the fighting. This is the true essence of being a gladiator in DR, entertaining the crowd. The crowd is not as entertained by a one shot crit than they are by a real slug fest where the contestants are closely matched. Nor are they entertained by a whiff fest, where neither can hit the other. The crowd wants gore. The crowd LOVES gore.

The one thing I would ask for for the pits is for viewing mechanics to be put in place for the triage rooms. The main complaints I have gotten over the years have been that those that come to help can't also enjoy the show while they help.

All of that said, I've an idea bubbling in the back of my brain here. It may take me until after the holidays to get settled in enough to start implementing it, but trust me, this idea, if it goes as I envision it, will make the Trial of Champions fight series I hosted seem like a game of tiddlywinks. :grin:

Vinnie, find me in game sometime. I wanna talk with you a bit about my idea.
Re: So how do points work? 11/27/2008 04:33 PM CST
Just a note, there are fight nights in the works to begin in the next month or so at the amphitheater by request. The practice run of a new division formula will happen early December to see how well it works and work out any bugs.