Trial of Champions and Baronial Battle Results! 01/13/2007 08:45 PM CST
12 fighters entered the Baronial Battle tonight. After the dust and blood clouds settled, Arjen emerged victorious and took home a purse of 18 plat.

In our Trial of Champions Championship, Solvar singlehandedly offed the champions from all the other qualifiers to take home the purse of 16 plat.

Afterward, platinum grudge matches were held, and much fun was had by all. Thanks so much to everyone who helped out over this entire fight series!

Gladiator Maulem~

Read the Barbarian Seven!
http://tinyurl.com/gksan
Re: Trial of Champions and Baronial Battle Results! 01/17/2007 09:28 PM CST
I don't exactly surf the boards other then the war mage section.

When is the next tourny for us magic users. Seems kinda interesting.
Re: Trial of Champions and Baronial Battle Results! 01/18/2007 04:53 AM CST
funny you should ask. due to some major whining issues during the mage contest I held, my helpers threatened to lynch me if I ever put one on again. It's funny how I can have 20 people with blades, 18 or so with polearms and over 30 ranged users use the same fight format and get very minimal complaints but yet I get 12 mages together and we got overwhelmed with complaints about everything from fairness to not having brackets and folks not understanding things and in general, chaos.

I designed the Trial of Champions format to get away from the typical and way overdone bracket/circle/skill style of tournament. Just as the typical tournament styles are not fair to all, this method is not fair to all either. However, the gladiator sport is not about fairness. It's about killing (or dying) in the most spectacular fashion possible for the entertainment of the assembled masses.

So, I'll be re-evaluating with the next Trial of Champions series whether or not to even include a night for mages, due to the issues folks seem to have with jumping into the pit, unbuffed, and blasting one another silly.

As for the Trial of Champions series itself, since it's such a large undertaking, I'll probably be holding it once a RL year, likely between thanksgiving and xmas, so long as I have a pit that's able to handle the tournament. Hopefully 2007 is the year that the Theren arena finally gets rebuilt, so, pending that change, we'll have to see what it will offer before I can make any estimates about what kind of fights you can expect from the next Trial of champions.

Gladiator Maulem~

Re: Trial of Champions and Baronial Battle Results! 01/18/2007 05:21 AM CST
I agree Maulem. I was there that night, and I was kind of ashamed at how it was going with just the 12 fighters. I had been there for the bows when there was about 3 times as many people, and it went smoother that night, then mage night. I specifically remember telling Drex that I felt bad for you both, and I apologized for mages in general for how huge of a headache that night was. When Drex first told me that you two probably weren't gonna do a mage night ever again, I actually told her that was probably the smartest and easiest option for the continuation of the Trials Series.

I hope that next time you do it, all the other trials go as well as, or better than, they did this year. I also think you should just go ahead and skip mage night, since it was such a problem. Problems for you (if the host gets a headache, what fun is it? If its not fun, why torture yourself?), problems for the contestants, and problems from people watching. Overall, it was rediculous in my opinion.

Once again, I felt obliged to apologize to Drex that night, just because I was a mage (even though Im more of a barb!), and therefor lumped into the same category as all the other mentally inept people that attended that night.

No matter what you decide to do Maulem, I really appreciate the effort you put into it. For the fun of the people, as well as the cause that you do it for. May it continue to get smoother and smoother each year that you continue. Thanks again for all the hard work and dedication.

-Master Ndin
Re: Trial of Champions and Baronial Battle Results! 01/18/2007 04:11 PM CST
Thanks for the reply Ndin. It's stuff like that that makes doing this worth every ounce of trouble.

I'll probably start holding some smaller "open" type fights in a week or two. Stay tuned!

Gladiator Maulem~

Re: Trial of Champions and Baronial Battle Results! 01/18/2007 04:35 PM CST
Thank you Ndin and I do want to say that you, Solvar and Wyndz three made that night much better than it could have been. The problems facing us that night went beyond what was on the surface. Being barbarians, neither of us knew that the mana for war mages was fair to middling in the arena, and by such tilted the scales to the moonmages. We learned, rather quickly I might add. ;)

I really want to thank the war mages that stuck it out without complaint and had a good time in spite of chaos and general negativity. Your efforts to get challenges going and just have fun with it really meant a lot to us both.

Maulem and I both have our separate event projects that we work on and we always support and help each other out, but these fight nights are really Maulem. I personally think he's nuts for all the time and effort he puts in, with he excel sheets he designs and all that but then again he thinks I'm nuts for the time I put into mine so it's all good. We both highly enjoy it and honestly when we hear someone say thanks, that was fun, it makes every little headache worth it. So thank you!
Re: Trial of Champions and Baronial Battle Results! 01/19/2007 02:16 AM CST
I'm not surpised you got a lot of complaints specifically about the magic trial. I didn't bother shower up because there are approximately 2 people in Prime I'd have been allowed to fight by your rules. That isn't to say your way sucks, just nothing there for me, or a lot of others. Also you see a much larger spread of defenses for any given level of TM than you do for mundane weapons. Since both sides of the contest matter, bracketing off only offense doesn't leave things terribly even.

-Tropicalo
Re: Trial of Champions and Baronial Battle Results! 01/19/2007 03:13 PM CST
Well I was there Trop. :P But then again there was a wonderful announcement made that fighting me wouldn't earn you jack squat which made me feel all special, warm, and tingly inside. Oh well, Lady Shantelle kept egging me on to fight whether it was discouraged or not, and she really made it fun for alot of us. By the way Maulem, going up and handing a person back his coins without a word while he's trying to get a fight set up and taking off the way you did could have been taken as a "Here's your money back so don't bother and get going" gesture. Just let folks have fun next time without trying to shun certain folks.

Player of Pormithius
Re: Trial of Champions and Baronial Battle Results! 01/19/2007 04:00 PM CST
I don't think anyone has come up with a good way to host any spar/pvp events. There is always a complaint, a claim of unfairness, limitations places on spells, abilities, etc...

My personal belief is that all abilities and skills should be allowed. My reasoning is that a real test of skills is at the character and the driver level, and not specifically the HE, shield or individual skill level. Thats not a knock on Maulem, or his fights -- he chose that format, and we all knew the rules ahead of time; i.e. before we started fighting. YMMV, and I'm sure it will. I'd simply ask anyone who thinks they can do it better to shut up, and do it better. Good luck.

Maulem's slicer night was alot of fun for me (the only one I was able to make), so I'll reiterate my thanks to Maulem & co. for putting on a good show with plenty of action, jokes, and RPing.
Re: Trial of Champions and Baronial Battle Results! 01/19/2007 04:27 PM CST
I told Porm a few times why the coin was given back and it was to be fair since he couldn't get points. He just chose not to listen to me I guess.

And by all means, anyone that has a better way to do these events, do them. I'm sure Maulem and I would love a chance to compete rather than host.
Re: Trial of Champions and Baronial Battle Results! 01/19/2007 04:27 PM CST
I was only meaning to refund your entry fee, since you couldn't earn points under the system in play. I would've stayed to explain, but the fight going on ended and I needed to get back down and announce the next.

Of course, I could've just kept the money I suppose. But then, you probably would've whined that I took your money without you having a chance to earn points. Additionally, denying that the event is called Trial of Champions just because you with your uber, leet skillz couldn't find anyone willing to come up and face you that would qualify as a points match for you was lame, and very unsportsmanlike.

Anyway, this is starting to turn negative, so I'll sit back and read the rest of what's posted after this.

Gladiator Maulem~

Re: Trial of Champions and Baronial Battle Results! 01/19/2007 05:56 PM CST

I brought my empath to two of the events and watched sports while healing. Was relaxing and good for the wallet of my main character, who's still very young. So thanks, I had fun.
Re: Trial of Champions and Baronial Battle Results! 01/20/2007 12:15 PM CST
<<Of course, I could've just kept the money I suppose. But then, you probably would've whined that I took your money without you having a chance to earn points.

Yah Maulem, everybodies knows me and how I would complain about 3 simple plat and how I've donated hundreds on multiple occasion to your Theren Arena stuff. LOL Next!!

<<Additionally, denying that the event is called Trial of Champions just because you with your uber, leet skillz couldn't find anyone willing to come up and face you that would qualify as a points match for you was lame, and very unsportsmanlike.

Ok, when I commented on it we were both fine and chuckling because it wasn't said malevolently so lets not start being two faced about it. And all these "uber, leet skillz" comments get real old after awhile too. I wasn't braggin about my skills and got plenty of fights anyways b/c I was with friends who were willing to have fun even if they weren't for points oh well. Wasn't the point of this to have fun and raise money for the Arena? I don't need a title of Champion to know where I rank in the scheme of things. I'm glad somebody else won it and may they carry the title with pride.

Player of Pormithius
Re: Trial of Champions and Baronial Battle Results! 01/30/2007 06:26 AM CST
Maulem what are you thoughts on some of the suggestions I made before you hosted the first contest? I remember you saying the rules were in place and that it was too late to amend them but have you considered implementing some of them?

Executioner Catullus
Re: Trial of Champions and Baronial Battle Results! 01/30/2007 06:28 AM CST
If think you can implement something along those lines then I don't mind putting the time to better think out my ideas. I'm sure I can come up with a pretty accurate way on how to better gauge opponents so that the fights as fair enough for just about any warrior in the realms.

Executioner Catullus
Re: Trial of Champions and Baronial Battle Results! 01/30/2007 04:28 PM CST
Cat,
Repost some of your ideas for me? It's been a month or two, and tons of stuff has gone on since then.

Gladiator Maulem~

Re: Trial of Champions and Baronial Battle Results! 01/31/2007 05:31 AM CST
>>I think it would be even more fair if the same store bought weapons were given to the contestants. Say we are doing melee combat and someone is using HE, they can be given a crossing broadsword while another using ME would receive a crossing scimitar. There are people who have amazing weapons that are off the chart ratings even for your standard forged weapons. I think it's great to use such weapons when fighting critters but it's not a fair advantage during a trial of skill. Just some food for thought. Hehe, and yeah I have cheap equipment anyway :)

I think also that one weapon and one defense given the persons highest combat category should be showed with tellexp so that you can better gauge a person. Someone might have 100 ranks in a blade but have 500 evasion, parry or shield. Not to be intrusive to ones skills of course but I think that showing the ranks of whatever weapon the person will use to compete and one defensive skill according to his/her guild sounds fair enough. Lastly please do tell me at what time these trials will commense.

Executioner Catullus>>

That was what I had posted but at the time I had not thought it thoroughly. If you will please send me via e-mail some of the complaints the contestants had then I can better think it through. Those were just some of the major concerns that came to mind when I read your rules. Weapons especially when using fletched arrows make a huge difference or when having an insanely well put together special metal made weapon. The other issue is that you have people that are 100+ circle with very high stats and defenses competing vs very low circle contestants that may have literally half their stats and possibly 1/2 to 1/4 of the others defensive skills. I saw a huge barb going up against redmagrowl, he had redmagrowl by like 30-40 circles, I saw a moonie that was 100+ competing against 50's circle contestants just because the weapon he was using was lower. I could have competed with my lower top weapons and wiped the floor instantly with any of the smaller contestants. That is one of the main issues there.
Re: Trial of Champions and Baronial Battle Results! 01/31/2007 05:42 AM CST
Grin! I just follow the rules as laid out! My frustration was there were so few at my level to compete against.

_____
Magdar Bluefletch, Legendary Barbarian of M'Riss
Re: Trial of Champions and Baronial Battle Results! 01/31/2007 05:44 AM CST
Forgot to post my e-mail :P, risingmist@mindspring.com

Executioner Catullus
Re: Trial of Champions and Baronial Battle Results! 01/31/2007 05:45 AM CST
Oh I have no problem on going all out no rules at all but a great deal of the realms doesn't feel the same way.

Executioner Catullus
Re: Trial of Champions and Baronial Battle Results! 01/31/2007 07:38 AM CST
<<but a great deal of the realms doesn't feel the same way.

A great deal? I am assuming more than half. How people in the game have come up to you and said they have a problem with going all out no rules?

I can't remember the last time Trebber went around and chatted with half the people in the game, let alone having all of them agree on the same thing.

Trebber

It is intended to be a game, and while it never made sense for me to be able to bounce across the rainbow road or whatever it was called when I played Candyland, it never stopped me from doing it and enjoying the game.
Re: Trial of Champions and Baronial Battle Results! 01/31/2007 05:02 PM CST
The "common weapon" issue is going to be a no go. It's hard enough to run these things, let alone running around god knows where to get however many of each kind of weapon for everyone.

Complaints voiced during the fights were either addressed if possible or summarily ignored if they were "whiney" type complaints like "How is this fair?" or "I can't find anyone to fight". I go over the rules before each tourney in depth, and give a few moments for folks to voice questions on the gweth prior to starting. I also post the rules several times in various folders here on the boards. If I see an issue that needs to be changed, I'll change it on the fly and let everyone know as best I can. I didn't log any of these, nor did I catalog any complaints that were addressed on the fly as described above.

As far as defense, there was an issue with this in one and possibly two competitors that I saw, and both of them were in the ranged competition. Generally, I think folks got the idea that the point is not to declare a weapon you have 10 ranks in if you're an 80th level barb, but to use what you're best at and try it out. I may institute a new part to the registration process next year that will attempt to deal with the issue of someone declaring a weapon drastically lower than their evident circle. I'll work on that in the "off season".

Magic fights-won't ever happen again on my watch. It is still amazing to me that I can throw 30 people into the pit with a given set of rules and tell them to smash each other to bits, but 10 magic users using the same set of rules want to do nothing but moan about how they can't use their buff spells. It's not a contest of buff spells, it's a contest of offensive magic.

The "season"-Due to the complexity of this fight series, I'll only be doing it once per RL year, and likely in the weeks between thanksgiving and xmas, assuming that if the arena finally gets the rebuild, it allows for such things. In the meantime, and when I get time, I'll likely be throwing some much smaller one night fight tournies with varying rules as to equipment.

Thanks again for the comments, concerns and questions. I'll continue to address them as I'm able.

Gladiator Maulem~