Trial of Champions gladiator tournament series! 11/30/2006 06:00 PM CST
xpost from Therengian Events:

Announcing the Trial of Champions tournament series to benefit the Therenborough Arena fund!

What is it you ask? A series of four tournaments, Trial of the Blade, Trial of the Polearm, Trial of the Ranged and Trial of the Magi, that will be held over the next several weekends, with champions from each weekly fight competing in an all for one championship bout at the end of the series! The final night of the series will also include a Baronial Battle competition after the main event (you know, that popular fight where everyone enters the arena at once and last fighter left alive wins?).

Now, before you all start grumbling and/or asking about what divisions I'll be using or how will I handle the circle gaps, let's show the rules here for you all to read. As you'll see, I've got a bit of a unique grading system that we'll be using that attempts to give everyone an equal shot at the championship title.

Trial of Champions Official Rules:

-All fights are in challenge format. No hiding. Contestants may only use the skill they declare during registration. No abilities, buffs, roars, or other enhancements.

-Contestants register their intended weapon ranks (or TM skill in the case of magic night) by using the TELLEXP command. The declared rank of weapon or TM is then used to assign a Grade to the competitor based upon what circle that rank would make the competitor if they were a Barb and that was their primary weapon skill. Example: TM skill of 260 will give the Contestant a Grade of 50. Contestants will be told their Grade, and a list of Grades will be maintained by me for each tourney. Once the tournament is over and the results posted, I will delete any and all info on grades for the given tournament. This is for the benefit of you all.

-Once registration is complete for all who wish to play, Contestants will then be given time ranging from 1-2 hours (or until we run out of challengers) to arrange and complete as many challenges as they wish. I will make efforts to make sure that everyone gets in as many challenges as they like.

-Points will be awarded for each fight based upon the differential between grades as follows:

-For winning: 10 points
-Plus 1 point for every Grade the winner is lower than their opponent. Maximum total points: 20
-Minus 1 point for every Grade the winner is higher than their opponent. Minimum total points: 1

-Example: Grade 20 versus Grade 25. Grade 20 wins and earns 10 points for the win plus 5 points for being 5 Grades lower than their opponent, for a total of 15 points.

-The winner at the end of each tournament will be the competitor with the highest total points awarded. The winner of each tournament, blade, pole, ranged and magic will be invited back to compete in an all for one fight at the culminating event of this series. The winner of each fight will need to give me their email address so I can coordinate our champions/send reminders.

-Each character may only win one tournament. Once you've won, you're in for the final, even if you'd like to compete in one of the other trials. So, choose your Trial wisely!

-No fights will be allowed where the opponents have greater than 10 Grade differential in order to eliminate severe outclassing in the fights. Exception being in the final culminating all for one fight.

-This event should be spread over at minimum 5 weeks. I plan to hold them on Saturday evenings with registration starting at 9pm est and fighting to begin at 10pm est. I plan to have one tournament a week, one for each of the styles (blade, pole, ranged and magic). On the fifth tournament, the first part of the night will be the championship fight between the four winners of each weekly event. The second part of the evening, I'd like to have a Baronial Battle for all who wish to participate. The Baronial Battle will operate as have the past ones, with everyone in the ring at once, no hiding, no area effects, last fighter living wins.

-Fees. I plan on charging 1 plat entry fee per contestant in the weekly fights, and 5 plat entry fee for the entrants in the Baronial Battle. Winner of each weekly tournament will receive 10% of the intake for that week. The overall winner of the championship match will receive an additional 10% of the total intake for all four weekly fights. Winner of the Baronial battle will receive 20% of the intake for that fight. 5% of the intake for all fights will go to tips for empathy and clerical helpers at the various tournaments. Remaining funds will go to the Therenborough Arena fund.

And now that you've digested all of that, here are the dates for each Trial. Registration for each event will start at 9pm est inside the Therenborough Amphitheater, with fighting to begin at 10pm est.

Trial of the Blade (2HE, HE, ME, LE only) 12/9/06.
Trial of the Polearm (Blunts, Staves, Halberd and Pike) 12/16/06.
Trial of the Ranged (Ranged and thrown weapons) 12/30.
Trial of the Magi (Targetted Magic spells only) 1/6.
Trial of Champions and Baronial Battle 1/13.

Hope to see many, many, MANY of you come out to participate in or at least watch this exciting Trial of Champions series! Feel free to post questions about the rules in the Combat/Pits folder, as I'll be crossposting there shortly.

Gladiator Maulem~

Read the Barbarian Seven!
http://tinyurl.com/gksan
Re: Trial of Champions gladiator tournament series! 12/07/2006 05:05 PM CST
One problem.

It's unfair for a 192nd circle barbarian with 100 in his 23rd weapon to be grouped in the same division as someone using their prime weapon at 100 ranks.

Lord Knight Calemnon, Jouster of Therengia
Re: Trial of Champions gladiator tournament series! 12/07/2006 06:45 PM CST
One problem with your problem.

There are no 192nd circle barbarians in prime.

That said, the rules are such to attempt to give folks across a broad spectrum of skill ranks a chance to compete. If you know that someone is a 192nd circle barbarian, it'd be pretty foolish to play against them. Also, it would not be as beneficial for these two to square off, as there is no grade differential, and therefore no bonus points.

For increased risk, comes increased rewards.

Gladiator Maulem~

Re: Trial of Champions gladiator tournament series! 12/07/2006 07:37 PM CST
i thought the rules were pretty fair. If there is a healthy serving of gladiators representing various level groups, the person who wins the most within their general circle range will win the tourney.
Re: Trial of Champions gladiator tournament series! 12/08/2006 07:59 AM CST
Dumbest question ever, I know. Apologies in advance...

Where is this arena? I don't see it on the old Ranik maps, and the wiki has been having trouble the few times I've looked today.

Thanks in advance as well.
Re: Trial of Champions gladiator tournament series! 12/08/2006 05:29 PM CST
Northerly from theren bank to the arch, but don't go through the arch. Go amphitheater instead.

Gladiator Maulem~