Therengian arena project: solicitation of ideas 08/13/2006 09:18 AM CDT
After hosting more than a few fight nights at the Therengian Amphitheater, here are a few of my own ideas as to what kind of pit ruies, rooms and general mechanics would help make the new pit great. Feel free to elaborate on some of my ideas or post your own as well. The idea is to get some brain juices flowing and encourage discussion.

-Enrollment on the official pit points system used at the Crossing and Ratha pits.

-Magic allowed. I feel more folks would take an active part in the gladiatorial sport if they were allowed to use magic.

-Ranged weapons allowed (including throwns).

-No hiding. Hiding in a pit fight only leads to games of hide and seek, not the true all out blood and gore that belies the sport. (Sorry thieves and rangers and other stealthy types).

-No area effect spells.

-A "toggle-able" mechanic that would allow for group combat in one room similar to what we've seen in the hugely popular Baronial Battles. The toggle would switch it so that the group fights don't tally points for the pit points system, but do allow for the group battles. Maybe the pit boss could be asked by PC's to allow a group fight?

-A triage area with a storage shelf for herbs. This area should have good to decent life and holy mana.

-A food/drink vendor since folks like to eat and drink while being entertained. (I'll have a super-sized yak meat combo with hot wine please!)

-The current seating area mechanics with perhaps the addition of a royal box.

-Gauntlet mechanics to allow for single challengers to enter and be tested by a parade of scaling critters. (or the occasional release of warcats into the pit floor for a match that is stalemating!)

-Seed of life mechanics from the Steel Claw Clan pit in case of no clerics being about.

Gladiator Maulem~

Read the Barbarian Seven!
http://tinyurl.com/gksan
Re: Therengian arena project: solicitation of ideas 08/13/2006 09:43 AM CDT
Switches or settings (pit guards) to allow or deny magic/hiding/ranged/area affect capabilities/dances. They would be set at the beginning of a bout and reset at the beginning of the next. They would also stop all currently running boosts.

Wound check upon entering. "It looks like the hole where your abdomen should be might affect your combat, are you sure you want to continue?"

mfberg
Re: Therengian arena project: solicitation of ideas 08/13/2006 10:54 AM CDT
I like the idea of the switch. Or if your going to allow magic I'd vote for allowing all magic and then the folks fighting can agree upon the limitations.

Maulem are you still running the fights? If so where can I find out about when your going to have them.

Thanks,
Kleis
Re: Therengian arena project: solicitation of ideas 08/13/2006 10:57 AM CDT
I think unless this is a barbarian pit that all abilities should be allowed. You could make "toggle-able" switches for all those abilities (hiding, area affect, etc) that people may or may not want to use.

Dragamar
Re: Therengian arena project: solicitation of ideas 08/13/2006 01:48 PM CDT
If it's on the pit point system, it would need to follow those rules from what I can tell since the Ratha pit and the Crossing pit have the same rules.

Now a gladiator pit with a gladiator point board would be interesting. Then gladiator pits could be put up other places (mer'kresh would be the most obvious next location I think), and they would be linked to the gladiator point board.

This would indicate the gladiator pit is sponsored by the locale, and not any specific guild.

I would allow the person starting a fight to set the price of the fight and then the pit keeps 10% of the entry fees. So, it could be free up through like...1000 plat if you want.

I would also have the person starting the fight, indicate whom they are to be fighting. Then those people both accept/agree in the next 30 seconds, and are put in cages. Those cages go to opposite sides, then after 10 seconds + random amount between 5-20 seconds, the cages open and the fighters are released at the same time.

Inside the cages you can't move, no activating khris/dances/berserks/etc...

I am --- Navak
Re: Therengian arena project: solicitation of ideas 08/13/2006 01:57 PM CDT
I'll probably be hosting another fight of some kind in the Theren amphitheater late August-ish. I've got a few other things on my plate just now, but I usually announce in the Therenborough events folder and the barb/general discussions folder.

Gladiator Maulem~

Read the Barbarian Seven!
http://tinyurl.com/gksan
Re: Therengian arena project: solicitation of ideas 08/13/2006 02:34 PM CDT
Ok, I dont normally read either one of those folders, I'll make a point of looking for your posts though.

Thanks,
Kleis