Tweaks to Ring of Spears 11/26/2001 06:22 PM CST
Greetings Mighty Spell Slingers,

After observing various Warrior Mages casting Ring of Spears over the last day and a half, reading your posts, chatting with several of you, re-testing like a fiend all day (well over 300 hundred casts -- yes, I evoked an exemption from spell recoil <grin>), I have made several adjustments to the spell.

First, the minimum prep is now 15.

Second, I increased slightly the effectiveness per point of extra mana employed.

(The combination of these two tweaks produces significant enhancement, hopefully without over powering the spell.)

Third, I fixed a few minor (though probably not apparent) bugs.

Fourth, I tweaked the recoil code so that it often produces a little shorter, but somewhat less predictable/uniform, timer.

One of my precepts is to strive to be conservative and then adjust upward, if indicated -- which, IMHO, is far better than releasing something vastly over powered and then being forced to gut its effectiveness. Undoubtedly there will be times, however, when I miss the mark and have to implement downtweaks.

If you would, try out the spell with the changes and let me have your thoughts and observations. (It is still not a god-slaying, all powerful spell, but I think you should be pleased overall.)

Regards,

Hyram