Magnetic Ballista Release 10/27/2001 07:23 PM CDT
Greetings,

The Warrior Mage spell "Magnetic Ballista" is now in Premium Preview.

I felt it best to post some further info to let those who aren't familiar with the spells I write get an inkling of my design philosophies. First, though, a few changes from the proposed version of Magnetic Ballista.

The pre-reqs for this spell were changed. Fist of Stone remains a pre-req, but Paeldryth's Wrath has been replaced with Static Discharge -- it made little sense to me that a spell dealing with magnetism has anything to do with wind and nothing to do with electricity. There is also a requirement of 20th circle, since during testing we found that those below this circle simply lacked the ability to get a good bang out of this spell. Additionally, the requirement of a held lodestone and small rocks has gone away because it was too limiting and patently silly.

Those of you familiar with the Moon Mage spells I've written know that I like to add "extras" above and beyond what the Guildleader tells you. Some of these extras are only seen if you use the spell a certain way; others only reveal themselves when cast in certain conditions.

For Magnetic Ballista, I went to town on the extras, and to be honest, they're a bit more blatant than the subtle ones I'd do for Moon Mage spells -- though not all are obvious. ;)

My own belief on War Mage magic is that it be powerful, nearly feral magic that is only somewhat controlled by the caster. Not only is the War Mage the master of targetted magic, but they should also be the wielders of spells designed to wage war -- spells that impact battles, that well and truly represent the raw power of the elements.

As such, you'll notice that this spell has a bit larger impact than just the target. Mwhaha Hahah... uh... <cough>

As with all spells, there will certainly be those who get more use out of this spell than others, depending on hunting choices and style. Magnetic Ballista was written specifically to be very effective in certain situations and somewhat less effective in others. There are some features of this spell which can be both termed "disadvantage" and "advantage" depending on how they're put to use. ;)

In any case, I believe that those who try this spell will be pleased with it overall.

Rigby
Re: Magnetic Ballista Release 10/27/2001 08:29 PM CDT
One additional note...

The pulse doesn't seem to be behaving as well as it did in testing. I'll be looking into that as we go along and track down the problem.

Meanwhile, due to the fact that when we test we're not as "fluff-loaded" as the average player, I think I underestimated the effects of the pulse. <G> So most fluff will no longer "yank" as of this post -- only more substantial objects, such as weaponry and armour. No need to remove the gweths anymore. ;)

Rigby