On Substances 10/18/2001 12:06 AM CDT
Category Abilities, Skills and Magic (24)
Topic Alchemy (1)
By DR-FIAL from PLAY.NET
On Oct 17, 2001 at 18:49
Subject Update (965)

<< >>

I was going to wait until the end of October to post an Alchemy and Substance system update, but now is a good as time as any.

At the beginning of October, the new alchemy/substance system entered the first part of beta testing in DR Development. Most of the hard coding is done on the system though there are some areas to finish up. There is still much needed in the conversion of old substances into new ones and messaging in the system is being worked on, to take it out of basic messaging.

Once the first phase of testing is completed, then other systems that use substances will need to be brought into line. I am discussing what changes will be needed with those system owners. Many systems will have to be updated to the new substances, before it is ready for release, but a few systems will be allowed to operate the old way with new substances until they are revamped.

For those who don't know, the new alchemy/substance system is a complete replacement of the existing one, so there are many issues that have to be covered. Many times I would have to go back and change the core of the system due to unseen problems or due to system resource issues that showed their ugly heads. But we're getting close to the end.

I am not going to post any dates until everything is approved and working properly in Development (that is the area we GMs create and test in), its better to crash the game there than in the areas you use.

Many things will change with this new system. Some you won't like, but many you will. I and the other GMs believe this will be a huge improvement on what is existing and is what is best for Dragonrealms.

I will post now and again as we enter each phase of the system, and there will be information put out on how it will affect you before it is released, and how you can use it.

In the meantime, just a little more patience.

GM Fial

PS: and to answer your question, no, players can not help test the new system.