alchemy 07/07/1998 10:20 PM CDT
Category: Suggestions and Improvements
Topic: Talk to Simutronics
Author: DR-GONK
Posted: Jul 07, 1998 18:59:17

Okay, several changes are in the works for alchemy. Mostly it will be things that won't be real visible to you, but are necessary to set up things for the future. There will be several new things to make, both immediately, and over the coming months, but the major change will be in how experience gets awarded.

The idea behind this is to give mech lore experience in bigger "chunks" so that you can learn what you need without having to spend hours crushing, breaking and combining things. Instead, the experience awards for finishing a potion will be upped significantly, and the experience for the "prep" stuff will be cut drastically. Players with low skill will still get a fair bit that way, but players with even medium ranks will get close to nothing from crushing, breaking etc.

Along with the exp changes, and the new potions, several other changes will be noticable.

Break and Crush will both work much more quickly for players with any real experience. I.e., instead of it taking 10 tries to crush something it now might take only 2 or 3. Also, all the wierd volume stuff in all the systems should get fixed.

Making potions-the way the catalyst calculations were being done is totally different. Anything that worked before will still work, but tempurature and physical state will play a much more significant role. Many potions can even be made without a catalyst given enough heat. Which is only fair, since infinite Dracon Crystals are going bye bye.

Combine is going away totally. It never made much sense, and without the experience aspect, I just couldn't justify keeping it around. There will still be a way to combine solid substances, but I'll leave that up to you to discover. Some time in the (near) future, we will put in bundling for herbs to handle that aspect of it.

I can't say for sure when exactly this will be coming out, but -hopefully- it will be before simucon, if not then shortly after. Please move any discussions about these changes over to the alchemy folder in strategy and tactics so we can keep the discussion focused.
Fial on alchemy 11/18/2001 10:23 PM CST
Category Abilities, Skills and Magic (24)
Topic Alchemy (1)
By DR-FIAL from PLAY.NET
On Nov 17, 2001 at 23:40
Subject Re: Hey Fial (1066)

<< >>

>Still waitin to hear some examples of these wonderful applications...

Ok.

Spell components.
Glue.
Forging additives.
Glassmaking.
Clerical communal items.
Tanning components.
Dyes, pigments and paints.
Burning stuffs.

There are many bonuses and penalities figured in alchemy/substance work. Guild, racial, location, time of day, season, weather, tools, all along with different skills that affect different parts of the system.

Not everything I mention will come out at the same time. The inital release of the new system will be mainly replacing parts of what is the current system. Other systems will be brought into line with the new one and new parts will be added after the intial opening as the become available or are updated.

Some parts of the new system you will like, others you will not. Its not a popularity contest or an election. Some things will be tweeked. Decisions are made on how they will affect the long term use of the system, the playability of the system, not the short term complaints of a few players.

GM Fial
Fial on dates for alchemy 11/24/2001 11:28 PM CST
Topic Alchemy (1)
By DR-FIAL from PLAY.NET
On Nov 24, 2001 at 17:42
Subject Re: QUICK QUESTION (1094)

<< >>

When the release of the system is close, I will give an ETA and some more info on how it will work.

Otherwise, you might see it sometime before October... 2004.

GM Fial

PS. Things happen, dates change. Players tend to get upset when a date or time frame is anounced and then is passed with out a release. So we don't do dates anymore.
Fial on grandfathering for alchemy 11/24/2001 11:29 PM CST
Topic Alchemy (1)
By DR-FIAL from PLAY.NET
On Nov 24, 2001 at 19:55
Subject Re: Pseudo Grandfathering (1097)

<< >>

I don't think there will be a fair way to grandfather in the alchemy skill.

But there may be something based on your mech lore and a learning bonus for the first few months it comes out. The skill will probably not come out the same time as the new system is released, but maybe soon afterwards.

GM Fial