Stuff 09/09/1999 10:59 AM CDT
You haven't heard much from me recently, so I thought I'd spend a little time talking about where I've been, where I'm going and what is happening in the ranger guild.

When I took this position it was on a temporary basis. I was formerly part of the area design team, but I said I would cover the ranger liaison position until someone was hired and trained for the job. That time is almost upon us, and hopefully my replacement will be introduced to you before the end of the month. Quite possibly sooner.

This should mean a lot more interaction as this person gets comfortable in the position. I have never been a very good "people person" and I didn't hold the number of meetings I felt I should have held nor correspond here in the boards as much as anyone probably would have liked. I think my replacement will be much better than I in those respects.

I haven't posted much lately because of RL workload. My firm is in the middle of upgrading servers and server software and ISP and much client software. I've been roped into that in addition to my regular work, which means a lot of evening and weekend overtime. And, additionally, because I learned a lot of HTML 2.0 (heh) a long time ago, I was recently made webmaster and told to redo the firm webpage (which is sadly lacking in many ways). So I've been very busy outside of DR.

That is not to say that I have completely ignored DR. I've got the signalling beseech in the testing stage. I think it'll only need some cosmetic changes before going to Quality Control (QC) checking. And another beseech in testing stage as well.

Where is tanning?
Tanning still has parts that are in the QC process. More importantly however, Bartlebee was recently promoted to a high level of responsibiliity among GMs. He won't have time to do a lot of the tech stuff that he used to do. I am taking over tanning. But because of my hectic work schedule in recent weeks and because he lives on the opposite coast we haven't been able to get together and go over everything I need to know about the system.

So tanning probably won't get released until sometime after that happens. If there end up being bugs in the system, I'm going to have to fix them because Bartlebee might not have the time to spend on it. So I need to understand the system thoroughly before it gets released. This first release won't have a lot of the things you really want tanning to have, but rest assured that most of those things will be put in in later releases. But we'd like to get the basics thoroughly working and player tested before adding all the nifty stuff.

After the new liaison takes over, I'll be going back to game development. My official position will be Ranger Guild Assistant GM. I'll be moving from the area design team/creative team to the tech team, though I will probably still make the occasional hunting area. In addition to taking over tanning from Bartlebee, I'll be taking the skinning system and meat carving. And Treveri has promised to work me to death, so who knows what other systems I may be taking over.

After that you probably won't see me around the game that much unless the new liaison wants me at a meeting to answer questions about one of my systems. I'll still post here on questions relating to things I am directly working on.

Hmm. I think that is about it.

-Tarragon

"Where do Rangers go to 'get away from it all'?"
Me Stuff 10/15/2001 02:47 PM CDT
Well, as vaguely hinted at in earlier postings by myself, my primary efforts were going to be going toward finishing another spell. Due to various circumstances, which will remain veiled in mystery, that is no longer feasible. Instead, I am turning my attention to another complicated project, which I hope will prove more delightful than another spell. I will return to the spell(s) when the portents are more favorable.

-Tarragon