Beseech 12/31/1998 06:32 AM CST

Well, I didn't make Christmas, but I did make New Years. Beseech is live.

Be careful. You can kill yourselves with it!

Enjoy.

Treveri
Beseech 02/11/1999 06:27 PM CST

Beseeching the wind has been reinstated with power it originally had, minus some minor safeguards that make sense...i.e. no critters, doorways or NPCs can be sucked up. But overall the other restrictions have been removed.

Now, I'm just telling you...if you find a way, or find someone, who is abusing this Ranger ability, you better get to me before it gets to another GM/SGM. I've fought my last battle on this one. If its abused and muted, it will stay muted.

Trev
Beseeches 05/17/2001 10:41 PM CDT
Okay I'm still going thru some stuff on magic but let me talk a little bit about Beseeches and I guess I am going to tip my hand here on some of my vision for the guild. Let's get into that first.

I strongly believe that in the last 5 years a fair comparison of Rangers could be made to that of real life Marines. You have been moving in the direction of being the closest thing Elanthia has to pure Survivalist. The requirements of your training has been focused on your ability, simply put, to explore and not die. THIS WAS AND IS NOT A BAD THING!! It was the reason I joined the guild. Below is what is on the DR web page.

RANGERS-

The heart of the woods and forests, Rangers are silent folk who feel most at home amongst the sylvan shade.

Primary Skill - Survival

Secondary Skill - Weapons, Armor

Ability - The ranger is most at home under the sky and away from the crowded city. Out in the wilderness they will get a bonus to survival skills

You'll notice that Lore and Magic are not on there. Still you were told to train all your skills equally and to keep you stats balanced. Why? Because if the ultimate goal is to be survivalist then you will need every skill and stat you have to "Explore and not Die." THIS IS NOT GOING TO CHANGE. Magic and lore will still be developed within our Guild to provide assistance in your skill of survival not to replace it.

I stated previously that the goal of my team is to reward your hard work. One of the ways I want to do this is by adding, for lack of a better word, some Zen to the guild. This is not religion nor is it greater magic ability. What I am talking about is the learning and understanding of the surroundings you are in. Namely, "The heart of the woods and forests..." Rewarding your understanding and mastery of nature by using what you observe and sense within the wilds of Elanthia.

I do NOT see this as something that will dramatically change the direction of the guild. However, it will help you with the ultimate goal of survival.

So with this in mind the following is what I plan on doing with Beseeches.

First, I am a firm believer in tradeoffs. So at some point Beseeches will require more than just circling to a predetermined level to obtain. Confused? I'll explain. At some point in the next year or two, in order for you to learn a Beseech you will have to gain an understanding of the Beseech thru a sort of challenge or quest.

Second, as the usefulness of the Beseeches increase so will the cost. Right now there are one or two factors that you spend when Beseeching. While those might still be in there I want to check for other things that just make sense with the ability.

Third, right now we have beseeches given out at certain circles in your training and are for the most part in order. I MIGHT have to skip an increment or two while the Beseeches for those levels wait on some other stuff to get finished. An argument can be made that I should wait until all the beseeches are in line before releasing them instead of skipping over say a 25th circle Beseech. Truly I am torn. If it turns out that this is the case, I would tend to want to get out what can be completed in the mean time instead of waiting. This is a no win situation for me. I will probably kick myself for even bringing it up here but so far our relationship has been a good one and I want to share some of my thinking with you.

Fourth, the current Beseeches will not change in how they are obtained.

Finally, let me remind you that there is no time frame on Beseeches at all. It will happen when the Ranger Team gets to it. I just felt you should be aware of this. I think this small change will add some depth to an already very diversified guild.

Jent

Ranger.

PS Please note that this topic is about Beseeches and the direction I want to move them in, not your training requirements. Trust me we will get to training and circling requirements. That's when the real fun starts. <wink>

Beseeches Vs. Spells 10/29/2001 05:37 PM CST
Heyo,

I was looking over the "Ideas" thread and saw that some of you were asking for an Offensive/Defensive type Beseech. I thought I covered some of this during the past meeting but let me give you basic guidelines that we are using for development.

BESEECHES

Beseeches have been and will continue to be circle based. Starting at circle 15 we plan on creating a Beseech for every fifth circle thereafter. Beseeches will typically have a higher "cost," meaning that there will be more risk and restrictions then a spell. This will become apparent as you see more of them released.

What are Beseeches?

Here is a recent quote from Tarragon; "we can exchange our own life essence with the "spirit of the wilds" to accomplish small feats of super-natural."

Notice the "small". Spells typically will allow us to do greater things. In addition to Tarragon's words, Beseeches will allow a Ranger to mimic an event in nature in situations that the event would not normally happen. A Ranger will learn this through a quest for wilderness enlightenment. The last Beseech did not have a quest because I wanted to get it out to you folks as quick as I could.

So that is the IC reasoning behind beseeches.

SPELLS

Since we are a magic using guild we need to be careful on what abilities we make into Beseeches as opposed to Spells. Using life magic we can do greater things then Beseeches would allow us to do. While some Spells are circle based most are not. There comes a point, depending on how you worked your way up the "Spell Tree," where most spells are available to you. At that point it is a matter as personal choice.

So back to the original issue of Offensive and Defensive Beseeches, I will not rule out that someday there will be Beseeches that can help directly with combat but you need to understand the Trade off will be great if ever one should be developed. You will more likely see something of that nature as a Spell not a Beseech.

Later,

Jent