Idea for Future 05/22/2010 12:04 AM CDT
I'd love to be able to scribe the spells in runestones/rods/wands/other devices into the spellbook.

~Worrclan, Dwarf of the Realms-
Re: Idea for Future 05/22/2010 10:59 AM CDT
I don't think that'd really work since runes/wands etc. are one shot items. It seems easier to me to just rub a rune than to get out a spellbook every time you want to use a single cast of something.

-=Issus=-
Re: Idea for Future 05/22/2010 12:12 PM CDT
>>I don't think that'd really work since runes/wands etc. are one shot items. It seems easier to me to just rub a rune than to get out a spellbook every time you want to use a single cast of something.

But you do bring the pattern into your head when you use them. It could be possible, but it would be a lot harder than scribing from a scroll, I bet.
Re: Idea for Future 05/22/2010 01:47 PM CDT
Essentially scrolls are one shot items to, even more so than runes... they are gone the first time you use them, they just give you the chance to cast the spell more than once if you are careful. If they would allow it at all, it would be a very useful, and could provide a niche market for those with spellbooks... Might be too useful and would be a good thing for enchanting later on. Basically though, if you can see what the spell is in a device, this is the same thing as reading what it is on a scroll. You see the pattern that makes it in both scroll and device. (Well it is right now at least, once you can see it, your interpretation of the spell pattern is indeed right, as when you go to activate it... it works.)

Re: Idea for Future 05/22/2010 02:00 PM CDT
I think what he was getting at is that when you use a rune or similar device, you aren't memorizing the spell for later use. Any time you want to cast that spell you'd have to go through the trouble of taking the spellbook out to get to it. If I want to cast clear vision, I probably don't want to be poking around in my spellbook to get it when it would be easier to pull out a single rune I have on my person for just that purpose.

To each their own of course, but that just seems like a bit of extra effort for each single cast of a spell.

~Kattena

A gestalt draugen swipes a hooked leonine claw at Silus. The claw lands a solid hit that cuts deeply into his groin!
Re: Idea for Future 05/22/2010 02:17 PM CDT
Ah yeah sure for things like clear vision, but things like gar zeng, fire shard, protection from evil(better to cast from a scroll)... yah know anything you might want to try and use more than once in a quick period.

Re: Idea for Future 05/23/2010 01:40 AM CDT
Like this idea.. but not for a single use. Ought to be able to scribe a rune and use it as a normal scroll. For instance, Shadows scrolls are extremely rare, but you can buy and find the runestones pretty easily. Scribe runestone into spellbook, invoke and temp-learn it. Doesn't seem exactly game-breaking to let this happen -- a lot of tier one spells would become easily available to learn at the cost of part of a player's attunement.

/start tangent
Of course, there still aren't Courage runes out there, so I'd be screwed on that one anyway (So far, I've had it for a little over 6 months and still haven't found another scroll to replace it with when I finally do make a mistake).
/end tangent

Segmere
Shadow Priest, Baron's Own Militia

"The best cure for insomnia is to get a lot of sleep." ~WC Fields
Re: Idea for Future 05/23/2010 09:50 AM CDT
Actually I like this concept of being able to figure out and research what the runestone would look as a spell, and then having Magical users scribe it down (heck maybe even just people with advanced arcana knowledge (either NMUs or MUs) could perform the task). Of course the research and designing of the scroll from the runestone should destroy the runestone.

Or perhaps both scholarship and arcana...

Just a suggestion. (Of course if it needs both, could it teach both)?