Writing Pads 05/28/2007 10:08 PM CDT
You scratch on the page of your Adan'f-scaled spellbook with the stylus, but the ink fades away.
[This feature is not yet implemented. Patience, it will be!]

Wow, so these have been out quite a while, and this is still not working? Someone get on that immediately please, thanks.
Re: Writing Pads 05/29/2007 01:53 AM CDT
* Your post here *<<Wow, so these have been out quite a while, and this is still not working? Someone get on that immediately please, thanks.>>

It probably won't be. We ran into some issues with storing that much potential unique data from that many potential sources.

Solomon

"Experience will come, it's not a race or anything. The ones who kill themselves to get to the finish are the ones who tire out quickly."

GM[Anti-ESP] Pormithius just killed Caelumia's ESP!
Re: Writing Pads 05/29/2007 10:49 AM CDT
>It probably won't be. We ran into some issues with storing that much potential unique data from that many potential sources.

>Solomon

Any chance of at least changing that message then? It's heartbreaking every time I see it.

http://www.elanthipedia.com/wiki/Main_Page
Re: Writing Pads 05/29/2007 10:57 AM CDT
Makes me sad too, only reason I bought a spellbook was because I wanted to keep an ingame journal.
Re: Writing Pads 05/30/2007 08:50 AM CDT
>>It probably won't be. We ran into some issues with storing that much potential unique data from that many potential sources.

Seems only logical then that you'd set up a way to automatically refund everyone who ever purchased a writing pad. Yes?
Re: Writing Pads 05/30/2007 09:11 AM CDT
>>Seems only logical then that you'd set up a way to automatically refund everyone who ever purchased a writing pad. Yes?

You're really going to cry over a couple gold?

~Arwinia

Thieves will continue to be dominated by the awesome power of the perceive health ability - that which causes rivers to dry up, babies to cry, and the earth to shake.
Stand back mortal, lest ye health be perceived.
-Ssra
Re: Writing Pads 05/30/2007 10:19 AM CDT
>>You're really going to cry over a couple gold?

Since you seem to feel like being wrong, a) I believe it was more like 30-something platinum, and b) if you think pushing for something is crying then I can only imagine your job market is very limited.
Re: Writing Pads 05/30/2007 10:20 AM CDT
>>a) I believe it was more like 30-something platinum

You want them to refund the entire spell book because a small portion isn't working? I'm fairly sure that the writing stuff wasn't more than a plat
Re: Writing Pads 05/30/2007 10:36 AM CDT
Maybe they'll crate an NPC that you can hand off the parts that don't work for something else, or even for money, like a pawnbroker of sorts...like they did with broken herbs.
Re: Writing Pads 05/30/2007 10:36 AM CDT
>>I believe it was more like 30-something platinum

The spellbook maybe, the writing tablet was one or two gold accessory item that didn't have to be purchased. Thanks for playing.

~Arwinia

Thieves will continue to be dominated by the awesome power of the perceive health ability - that which causes rivers to dry up, babies to cry, and the earth to shake.
-Ssra
Re: Writing Pads 05/30/2007 10:39 AM CDT
>>You want them to refund the entire spell book because a small portion isn't working?

>>The spellbook maybe, the writing tablet was one or two gold accessory item that didn't have to be purchased.

No, and no. I am talking about just the Writing Pads being that much. While they were not a required part, they also do not function as advertised and are clearly never going to do so.

Perhaps the prices changed depending on which time the merchant came? Either way, it was in the 30's of platinum last time around.
Re: Writing Pads 05/30/2007 10:44 AM CDT
>>No, and no. I am talking about just the Writing Pads being that much.

Wow they really raised the price then. I got mine when it came at the end of the Simufest and I don't remember paying more than 50 plat for the entire spell book, that's with a fancy cover and all that. I doubt they'd raise the price from a few gold to 30 plat. Unfortunately DRfuturepast doesn't have the spell book merchant
Re: Writing Pads 05/30/2007 11:05 AM CDT
no

~Arwinia

-Ssra
Re: Writing Pads 05/30/2007 12:34 PM CDT
>>Perhaps the prices changed depending on which time the merchant came? Either way, it was in the 30's of platinum last time around.

I don't know about 30 plat, but I'm fairly sure it was at least 10 this last time around. I remember debating the decision to purchase a pad for quite awhile, and I would not have done so if it only cost a couple of gold. I guess I could be wrong, since Arwinia says "no" (though backing it up with something like a log would be helpful). I'll check tonight when I get home.

~player of Gulphphunger
Re: Writing Pads 05/30/2007 03:49 PM CDT
What about setting up a section on the website for in-game journal contents? Then, in whatever verbs would be appropriate (SHOW? READ?) you could have both the "inference" messaging like there is now as well as an OOC link players can go visit.

And, if not something on the site, how about some deal with either a fansite (several for the purposes of redundancy?) or some other livejournal site?

J'Lo, I'm a ranger.. I'd believe anything.....
The Manipulation List -- http://symphaena.com/index.html
Re: Writing Pads 05/30/2007 05:05 PM CDT
>>The spellbook maybe, the writing tablet was one or two gold accessory item that didn't have to be purchased. Thanks for playing.

My log from the last time the merchant came:

>get supple leaf
You take note of the price tag on a supple leaf entitled: "Writing Pad" which reads: "312500 Kronars". You may BUY it if you like.
>gawk
Your jaw drops.

Indeed, it was over 30 plat. It was my pleasure to play; what do I win?

~player of Gulphphunger
Re: Writing Pads 05/30/2007 06:34 PM CDT
i had thought at the time the reason for the high price for- writeing pad was for the functionality, if i had known it was never going to be functional i wouldn't have included it in the spellbook I b ought for one of the family, good thing i only got 1 of the wrriting pads and not more for all the spepllbooks i purchased for the familyu.

<<If nothing else, maybe some Magic Using guilds will now feel the joys of "You cannot steal here.", at least for a while.--Solomon>>
Re: Writing Pads 05/30/2007 08:22 PM CDT
<<i had thought at the time the reason for the high price for- writeing pad was for the functionality,>>

I'm not sure anyone ever said anything that would make that untrue. The price was indeed a reflection on the functionality. Please let me know if you can find something that indicates otherwise (in a statement made by a person with a Red Account Name).

<<if i had known it was never going to be functional i wouldn't have included it in the spellbook I b ought for one of the family>>

And if we'd know it was going to be a technical issue, we never would have gone down that road in the first place. Don't make it sound like we sold these on purpose and knew it wasn't (safely) technically feasible. It IS feasible, however the system load and data storage necessary makes it unattractive at the moment.

So, once we decide if it's too unattractive for follow up on, we'll decide what we're going to do.

If you'll recall, it WAS functional briefly and we found out very quickly how problematic it was, which prompted it's removal.

Solomon

"Experience will come, it's not a race or anything. The ones who kill themselves to get to the finish are the ones who tire out quickly."

GM[Anti-ESP] Pormithius just killed Caelumia's ESP!
Re: Writing Pads 05/30/2007 09:06 PM CDT
I actually recall the writing pads being pulled from the Shard opening of the merchant and being quickly pulled for those technical issues. After a lot of people said they wanted to buy writing pads just in case they got fixed (like me), they were put back out as they are now, with multiple warnings that there was no ETA for when they would be working again if at all.

So if you bought them it's really your own fault, isn't it?

Rev. Reene

Armifer says, "You're catching on."
>
Toldorf asks, "Young padiwan?"
>
Armifer says, "I'm not going to call you padiwan."
Re: Writing Pads 05/30/2007 10:58 PM CDT
>>So if you bought them it's really your own fault, isn't it?

No warnings at the last merchant.

I am, however, mildly satisfied with Solomon saying it will be assessed in the future. I'll be sure to remind everyone in due time.
Re: Writing Pads 05/31/2007 12:02 AM CDT
>So if you bought them it's really your own fault, isn't it?

I don't recall seeing those warnings, and I would've heard or seen them if they were posted any time near the most recent spellbook merch visit.

I personally bought my writing pad knowing it probably wouldn't work, but also surprised that there was no sign or other notice of any kind in the shop that mentioned any hint that they weren't fully functional. A reasonable person walking into that shop would assume they worked. Not everyone reads the boards or has been playing since spellbooks were first released.

I'm glad it's not entirely shelved, and that they might be enabled at some future date. However, given what we all know about the timescales of development, this could be several years in the future. I'm not complaining, just pointing out a realistic probability.

Next time the merchant comes back I think there should be a clear notice in the actual shop room that warns people the writing pads can't be used yet, and there is no timetable for when they might be functional.

http://www.elanthipedia.com/wiki/Main_Page
Re: Writing Pads 05/31/2007 06:38 AM CDT
From Vortressa's site log of the original appearance of the spellbook merchant:

You take note of the price tag on a supple leaf entitled: "Writing Pad" which reads: "312500 Kronars". You may BUY it if you like.

And that is the same as what Gulph posted, so it looks like the price has been, like most merchants, stable.

The price might have looked lower when the merchant was in areas where the currency wasn't Kronars, but...

Examining the exchange rates and doing some quick calculations, you figure 312500 Kronars is equivalent to 250000 Lirums or 225500 Dokoras.

Not small in any currency.

~Kyn (Kynevon)

Info Page http://kynevon.info
Grimoire of Echoes: http://tinyurl.com/2ac987
Hunting Info: http://tinyurl.com/44jlt
Armor Info: http://tinyurl.com/2h5jcp
Re: Writing Pads 05/31/2007 08:08 AM CDT
>>I personally bought my writing pad knowing it probably wouldn't work, but also surprised that there was no sign or other notice of any kind in the shop that mentioned any hint that they weren't fully functional. A reasonable person walking into that shop would assume they worked. Not everyone reads the boards or has been playing since spellbooks were first released.

I am that reasonable person.

~player of Gulphphunger