Tutorial 01/19/2006 08:50 AM CST
So, I'm new to the spellbook world. Someone give me a some brief lessons on how to use it. The best way to use it for training? How do I check if it is damage? Can't use it in the rain, or can you? Etc. Any help is appreciated.

Ranger Dragamar, Toxophilite of Aesry Surlaenis'a
Re: Tutorial 01/19/2006 09:22 AM CST
Don't use it in the rain, don't bite it, don't throw it, don't do anything that could hurt it.

It has a massive, sick amount of verbs.

Don't use a chain unless you want it exposed to weather.

Every spell has about a 30 minute timer.

Here's a spellbook script, works in Geni, eScape, and SF

First time using, set variable currentChapter and currentPage to 1 and 1, respectively.

Tailor to your learning needs.

doBook:
put open spellb case
wait
put get spellb
put open spellb
wait
turnChapter:
put turn spellb to chapter %currentChapter%
match bookDone There aren't that many chapters in
match turnpage You turn the
matchWait

turnpage:
put turn spellb to page %currentPage%
match newChapter there are only
match newChapter there is only
match studyBook you turn through
matchWait

studyBook:
put study spellb
waitFor roundtime
pause
counter set %currentPage%
counter add 1
setVariable currentPage %c%
put exp schol
match exit2 % mind
match exit2 % dazed
match turnPage help
matchWait

bookDone:
setVariable currentPage 1
setVariable currentChapter 1
goto turnChapter

newChapter:
counter set %currentChapter%
counter add 1
setVariable currentChapter %c%
setVariable currentPage 1
goto turnChapter

exit2:
put close my spellb
put put my spellb in my spellb case
put close my spellb case

(This Is Not) Mrrar

Out of Context Theatre
"All we know is [...] the Hubs were a sick cross between Marxism and Catholocism." -- Meerc
Re: Tutorial 01/19/2006 11:15 AM CST
Thank you! You check for damage just by looking at it correct?

Ranger Dragamar, Toxophilite of Aesry Surlaenis'a
Re: Tutorial 01/19/2006 03:50 PM CST
>>Thank you! You check for damage just by looking at it correct?

Yes.

If you get the hafaltu crystal, you can invoke it to protect your spellbook from the weather.

Indoors use should never be a problem.

Vortressa has a list of the verbs and what they do on her old web site. Not on my normal computer, so I don't have a copy of the link on me, but I think it is still listed in the Player web site list.

Note that the STUDY verb teaches Scholarship, and has the timer. The Read verb is not timed, and only gives you the same description that the guild leader would give for that spell.

~Kyn (Kynevon)

Info Page http://kynevon.info
Mac OS X FE http://tinyurl.com/9xjyj
Amagaim's What to Hunt Chart
Excel format: http://tinyurl.com/44jlt
HTML format: http://tinyurl.com/6tpls
Re: Tutorial 01/19/2006 03:59 PM CST
http://vortressa.l2p.net/

Posted this elsewhere, but relevant

(This Is Not) Mrrar

Out of Context Theatre
"All we know is [...] the Hubs were a sick cross between Marxism and Catholocism." -- Meerc
Re: Tutorial 05/16/2010 09:12 AM CDT
>> Vortressa has a list of the verbs and what they do on her old web site...
>> http://vortressa.l2p.net/

This page is gone too, anyone have a spellbook verb list?
Re: Tutorial 05/16/2010 10:53 AM CDT
Yamcer posted one earlier somewhere here on the forums... I copied it to Elanthipedia.

http://www.elanthipedia.com/wiki/Spellbooks
Re: Tutorial 05/16/2010 09:31 PM CDT
Agreed! I already had a spellbook but I just had to redesign it and the scroll section makes me giddy just to think about. Love this, thank you sooooo much!

Anabel
Re: Tutorial 05/17/2010 10:34 AM CDT
With the scroll section (love it!) I assume I can scribe a scroll down and use that to learn arcana over and over? Is there some kind of timer?

Very glad to see the shop again as there were a couple things I was missing from the first release. Finished my spellbook off with a couple beads and a hafaltu-veined kuldaez crystal for my socket that sat empty for so many years. Now...if only they taught scholarship like they used to!

-Guardian Lord Alaxndr Durnovaria, Advocate of Therengia

"A knight is sworn to valor
His heart knows only virtue
His blade defends the helpless
His words speak only truth
His wrath undoes the wicked."
Re: Tutorial 05/17/2010 12:16 PM CDT
I'd be very interested to hear from folks who have expirimented with this. What happens to the scribed spell when you learn it?

I DEMAND JUSTICE
alternatively, if there must be injustice, let it be in my favor
Re: Tutorial 05/17/2010 02:09 PM CDT
<<With the scroll section (love it!) I assume I can scribe a scroll down and use that to learn arcana over and over? Is there some kind of timer?

While I may not be following what you're saying exactly, I don't think so. When you scribe a scroll into your spellbook, the scroll poofs.

<<What happens to the scribed spell when you learn it?

It disappears from the page. While the spell is gone from the book, the page can reused to put a new spell on it.

Nikpack

The gods are jerks. No, really.-Armifer

I don't think we ever take the training wheels off as players or gamemasters.-Inauri
Re: Tutorial 05/17/2010 02:12 PM CDT
>> It disappears from the page. While the spell is gone from the book, the page can reused to put a new spell on it.

Well, that's pretty cool!

I DEMAND JUSTICE
alternatively, if there must be injustice, let it be in my favor
Re: Tutorial 05/17/2010 02:54 PM CDT
So you can scribe the scroll in the spellbook and the scroll goes poof. When you INVOKE or STUDY the spell from the book then, the writing on that page goes poof? I was kind of hoping you could keep invoking over and over to learn arcana but I didn't have any scrolls on me (that I wanted to possibly lose) to test with.

-Guardian Lord Alaxndr Durnovaria, Advocate of Therengia

"A knight is sworn to valor
His heart knows only virtue
His blade defends the helpless
His words speak only truth
His wrath undoes the wicked."
Re: Tutorial 05/17/2010 03:33 PM CDT
That would be too easy.

- Executioner Korsik Rippentropp, Sociopath of M'riss

Baum says to Lillietta, "Problem is that Korsik is a very big boy."
Lillietta says, "He is mentally unstable."
Re: Tutorial 05/17/2010 10:11 PM CDT
>>I was kind of hoping you could keep invoking over and over to learn arcana but I didn't have any scrolls on me (that I wanted to possibly lose) to test with.

This would be very cool and make sense (once you find a scroll you could just jot the formula down in a notebook, yes?), but it would also defeat the purpose of scroll spells being temporary.

If you could write any spells in the book and invoke them at any time, any guild could learn any spell permanently once they found the scroll.

Right now the Moon Mage place on the "combat pet totem pole" is the part that's sunk into the earth to lower the pole's center of gravity.
-Armifer de Dragonrealms
Re: Tutorial 05/24/2010 07:57 PM CDT
>>unleash

Not currently possible, but it's on my short list.

>>Spellbook Repair

See above.

>>I'm fairly certain the RT was reduced to 30-ish seconds per study to around 15 seconds per study. I actually got to 14/34 in scholarship. Maybe they are becoming a little more viable for learning? Very excited to see this.

Yes sir :). The timer was reduced significantly because it was terribly long.

>>Could [the timer] be reduced significantly?

I'm going to take a look at the experience granted by spellbooks on an overall level about when I take a look at the INVOKE stuff.

>>Is the Immortals section supposed to teach or do anything?

Nope, not teach. It SHOULD call the READ bit, but it doesn't. On my list.

>>Is the (currently buggy) spellbook leaf "The Beseeching of Nature" of any use to non-Rangers?

Nope. I'm working on a fix for that as well.

>>Yet the spell is still there.

Fixed, and fixed the messaging. The page will be wiped clean, entirely reusable.

>>My understanding of the 100 pages, is that their are always 100 pages in the book

There's a mistake in the messaging. The limit is 50 pages.

>>I'd love to be able to scribe the spells in runestones/rods/wands/other devices into the spellbook.

It'd be neat, but that's not really on the list.

>>Or a Magical device section?

This is a possibility. Doing more with the cases is on the long list, but personally altered compartments are... tricky at best, and not possible (under useful definitions of 'possible') at worst.

>>Another GM seems to have taken over spellbooks.

Indeed :).

--

"The ninety and nine are with dreams, content but the hope of the world made new, is the hundredth man who is grimly bent on making those dreams come true." -E.A.P.
Re: Tutorial 05/24/2010 09:06 PM CDT
Thanks for the update! And keep doing an amazing job!
Re: Tutorial 05/24/2010 11:41 PM CDT
Wow, thanks for the reply to all those questions Socharis! Keep up the awesome work!

-=Issus=-