Spellbooks 08/18/2003 07:29 AM CDT
How much are spellbooks selling for these days anyway?

Wait we can't stop here! This is bat country!
Re: Spellbooks 08/18/2003 07:34 AM CDT

From what I've seen, folks are asking between 200-400 plat for them.

Kinsmen, Steel, Stone.
www.stone-clan.com

Nin showrskilik dabru dangig kvatha, "Derg ewn tharfe mate nin verdh suun nin kwin bowr, nin kwin bowr va nin verdh."
Spellbooks 09/18/2003 04:21 AM CDT
Just curious about a couple of things:

1.) I logged on tonight, did my usual locking of magic, then proceeded to study my spellbook. At the end of Chapter 2, I was still at learning. Hmmm, that's weird, I locked it last night. Assist, GH says everything working like it should. Hmmmm...ok I proceed to study again and get to perplexed by the end of Chap 3. ponder Weird, maybe my brain needed a fix.

2.) About what kinda scholarship does this thing stop teaching at? With what I got, it can still lock me, but that's getting heavy into Chapter 4. Also known as the last chapter for spells for clerics.

3.) When a spellbook stops teaching scholarship, what's next? Regular old prayer bead primers?

4.) Was there (didn't feel like reading throw 1310 posts), anything mentioned about maybe lowering the RT (Roundtime) on spells that you (Personally) use constantly? If I hunt, use DR and HE when I hunt, MaPP, MPP, PFE, OM, Bene, Male, CoZ, if I stop hunting, and start studying, shouldn't I know those a lil better then something I haven't used in a very long time *rejuve/resurrection/soul bonding* Possibly put spells on a timer or something? I know, lotsa work to code that probably, but it's a suggestion. Reading through a spellbook with 35-40 second RT's kinda makes for a boring half hour. Specially in a swamp with no one around for miles *though I will admit it's very quiet*.

5.) If 4 works (highly doubt, but still suggest), maybe making it a quick glance rather then a study: Shalrin turns his spellbook to "Harm Evil" spell. Shalrin makes a couple of quick glances over the notes. Shalrin turns his spellbook to "Resurrection" spell. Shalrin studies the notes in his spellbook.

6.) If 4 & 5 work, spellbooks can then teach higher then they do (which is?). If you wait for the timer to expire (say, 5 minutes, enough time to drop stuff off, get healed, scratch yerself, whatever), you can fully study the spells notes and learn more then the quick glance (obviously). Of course, the RT's would be higher then the quick glances. I dunno, just a suggestion (shoot it folks, burn burn burn).

7.) *Kicks the huge 300 lb gorilla for good measure* Get off his back!!

Acolyte Shalrin Ottavion--Cleric of Urrem'tier
Don't understand the post, then you don't understand me.
Re: Spellbooks 09/18/2003 12:03 PM CDT
<<1.) I logged on tonight, did my usual locking of magic, then proceeded to study my spellbook. At the end of Chapter 2, I was still at learning. Hmmm, that's weird, I locked it last night. Assist, GH says everything working like it should. Hmmmm...ok I proceed to study again and get to perplexed by the end of Chap 3. ponder Weird, maybe my brain needed a fix.>>

I believe studying too often will result in lowered learning until some time has passed, similar in princpal (but not in amount of time) to trying to learn PP from percieving the same room too soon.

<<2.) About what kinda scholarship does this thing stop teaching at? With what I got, it can still lock me, but that's getting heavy into Chapter 4. Also known as the last chapter for spells for clerics.>>

It's hard to help when you don't post numbers.

<<3.) When a spellbook stops teaching scholarship, what's next? Regular old prayer bead primers?>>

I believe in the "Lore" folder there was some rather lengthy discussion on ways to learn scholarship outside of spellbooks. Skim the titles of the last 100-150 posts and you'll find it.

<<4.) Was there (didn't feel like reading throw 1310 posts), anything mentioned about maybe lowering the RT (Roundtime) on spells that you (Personally) use constantly? If I hunt, use DR and HE when I hunt, MaPP, MPP, PFE, OM, Bene, Male, CoZ, if I stop hunting, and start studying, shouldn't I know those a lil better then something I haven't used in a very long time *rejuve/resurrection/soul bonding* Possibly put spells on a timer or something? I know, lotsa work to code that probably, but it's a suggestion. Reading through a spellbook with 35-40 second RT's kinda makes for a boring half hour. Specially in a swamp with no one around for miles *though I will admit it's very quiet*.>>

I'm fairly sure that the roundtimes are not going to change. Scholarship is a measure of general worldly and academic knowledge, which is not something you're going to lock in 2 minutes. Not to mention that you're reading and studying each spell every time, once you start skimming, you can't expect them to teach, now can you?

<<5.) If 4 works (highly doubt, but still suggest), maybe making it a quick glance rather then a study:>>

See above.

-Accipam
Re: Spellbooks 09/18/2003 12:16 PM CDT
Spellbooks don't stop teaching. They stop teaching WELL, but as far as I am aware they don't stop teaching.

With a Cleric spellbook, which only has 25 spells, I can get perplexing with 300 scholarship. With a Moon Mage or War Mage book, I could probably look it due to the fact that their books have more spells.

- Smeg
Re: Spellbooks 09/18/2003 03:07 PM CDT
Where did you leave off reading it the night before? Spellbooks have timers, one per page, and the timer is approximately one hour of IG time (no logging out to avoid the timer).

~~~Krin
"Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati"
"Goblins ... aisle 6, Mycthengelde ... hunt smart, hunt S-Mart!"
"You whine like a mule ... you are still alive!"
Re: Spellbooks 09/18/2003 03:31 PM CDT
I left off reading chap 4. Juggled my yak skulls for about 10-15 minutes, logged off. Logged on, locked magic roughly 10 minutes, then studied. Didn't learn nothing. As for the whole quick glance thing...didn't think it'd work. And it wouldn't teach much anyway... (it's why it's called a suggestion).

As for the post by smegul...that's what I was lookin for. Least I know it'll still work with expert plus scholarship...was what I was wonderin.

Acolyte Shalrin Ottavion--Cleric of Urrem'tier
Don't understand the post, then you don't understand me.
Re: Spellbooks 09/18/2003 03:50 PM CDT
Ok, judging by what you listed, you only used up roughly half the timer for those first pages, so you didn't start learning until you reached a page that didn't have a timer still ticking down on it.

On the bright side, the timer only appears to be attached to pages in a Guild-specific manner. If you get your hands on more spellbooks from other Guilds (1 each) you can add them into the reading to continue learning even after reading all of yours before the timer is up.

I do like the suggestion of lowering the RT. Perhaps a reduction based on scholarship and what spells you have (if you are studying a spell which is a pre-req to another spell which you have, then chances are this spell is old-hat to you).

~~~Krin
Spellbooks are they coming back? 09/29/2003 12:00 AM CDT
thanks

A ship's rat scurries into view.
The ship's rat tries to tend its wounds.
Re: Spellbooks are they coming back? 09/29/2003 12:39 AM CDT
XYILLIA,

I suggest you post your question on a different board - Magic stuff, or a War Mage board (since they were a warmie release primarily). The GM who crafted the spellbooks no longer lives here, so the only Clerical link to spellbooks is that some of us own one.

Shae.
Re: Spellbooks are they coming back? 09/29/2003 10:10 AM CDT
No. It has already been stated that spellbooks will never ever return. They are being stored in the CoF.

In addition, they are consitering taking away all spellbooks owned by moonies, since their magic is fake anyway.

-Deagol
Re: Spellbooks are they coming back? 09/29/2003 11:45 AM CDT
Not for quite some time, I am afraid.

Trebber
Re: Spellbooks are they coming back? 09/29/2003 01:47 PM CDT
>> suggest you post your question on a different board - Magic stuff, or a War Mage board (since they were a warmie release primarily).

A War Mage release? Now that's funny.

And this is the spellbooks folder, all questions concerning them go here ... sending people to post elsewhere would just make them off-topic and end up getting told by the Board Monitors to bring it back here. Please refrain from giving people advice until you've read the board Policy, ok? Thanks.

~~~Krin
Re: Spellbooks are they coming back? 09/29/2003 01:55 PM CDT
Krin,

This was orginally posted in the Cleric folder.

A BM moved it here.

Telynn
Re: Spellbooks are they coming back? 09/29/2003 02:35 PM CDT
>A War Mage release? Now that's funny.

Actually, they were originally to be for Warrior Mages, but it was decided to release books for all magic using guilds.

>And this is the spellbooks folder, all questions concerning them go here ... sending people to post elsewhere would just make them off-topic and end up getting told by the Board Monitors to bring it back here. Please refrain from giving people advice until you've read the board Policy, ok? Thanks.

The original posts were in the cleric folders and a board monitor moved the thread. Please refrain from chastising people until you know the entire situation. Thank you.

~Coine

"Walks are therapeutic, especially when taken by people that annoy me." - Coine
Re: Spellbooks are they coming back? 09/29/2003 02:48 PM CDT
Ah, someone on the BM team must have forgotten to post the "incoming!" warning this time. Gotcha. That part of my post I retract then and apologize.

But still find it funny they called it a "War Mage" release.

~~~Krin
Re: Spellbooks are they coming back? 09/29/2003 03:01 PM CDT

Krin, at the time he was coding them Skral said they were a WM release. Which is why they had a good long preview of spellbooks before everyone else got access. I don't know what happened that made them opened to all, but I'm glad it did.

~Mellisandre
Re: Spellbooks are they coming back? 09/29/2003 03:27 PM CDT
<<I don't know what happened that made them opened to all, but I'm glad it did.

They were always intended to even when the WM liason was coding them. Other guilds would have just been further on down the line instead of how Skral set them up for all at once and gave WM what 3 week preview?

Majebrad

"An example of when posting and loud complaining works" - GM Meriel 9/03
Re: Spellbooks are they coming back? 10/01/2003 10:34 PM CDT
Skrael was a cleric guru, so asking on the CLERIC boards seemed appropriate at the time if Zabari was taking over.
Since there has been no response I am guessing the answer is 'Soon, but not in the forseeable future."

A ship's rat scurries into view.
The ship's rat tries to tend its wounds.
Bloodlocks and Spellbooks 11/15/2003 03:25 AM CST
Can Bloodlocks be retuned to new owners?

~Lhorin
Re: Bloodlocks and Spellbooks 11/15/2003 11:34 AM CST
Don't think so. Pretty sure the old owner needs to open it, then you can remove it and replace it with a new one tuned to you. But until either the spellbook shop comes back or you happen to find someone hanging onto an untuned bloodlock, a new one is on hold.

~~~Krin
Re: Bloodlocks and Spellbooks 11/15/2003 03:16 PM CST
Turns out that, once the bloodlock is open, I could remove it, even though I'm not the original owner. I have the key, though, and I can open and close the bloodlock myself after I put it back on.

~Jadirican
Spellbooks and RT 02/19/2004 01:57 AM CST
Could the spellbook RT's be looked at and perhaps altered so that the RT reduces as the reader's skill in scholarship increases? Spellbooks are immensely time intensive and for those people unlucky enough to have/need high ranks in scholarship, they teach little. I am not opposed to shelling out the extra kronar for more spellbooks, but I don't want to spend all day reading them. Scholarship is already hard enough to come by, please make these more useful.

Also, as an empath there are some problems. We will be required to learn scholarship (past 30th) in the next month or so. Unfortunately, we do not have that many spells. As I recall the merchant's shop was set up so that you could only purchase a spellbook from your own guild. So when that merchant comes around again, I can only purchase a spellbook that is inferior to a war mage's spellbook or a moon mage's spellbook (unless I get someone to buy one for me, but i want a bloody empath spellbook). Since increasing the ammount learnt from each page of the empath spellbook (to make one read-through teach as much as a moonmage read-through) would probably be unfair (but super) would it be possible to lower the timer between reads? Okay, i think that's it. Hooray for spellbooks!

I'm not sure if this is beating a dead horse or not, sorry if it is.

"Anyone who spends a significant amount of time with me finds me disagreeable."

~Purehand, Lord of the dance and overhealing
Re: Spellbooks and RT 02/19/2004 05:45 AM CST
>As I recall the merchant's shop was set up so that you could only purchase a spellbook from your own guild.

I believe you can purchase any guilds. It just gives you a warning or something before you do.

Jalika
Re: Spellbooks and RT 02/20/2004 02:57 AM CST
<<I believe you can purchase any guilds. It just gives you a warning or something before you do.>>

As I recall, each guild had it's own seperate room where they could design the books. I believe you were only permitted to enter your guild's area.

-Accipam
Re: Spellbooks and RT 02/20/2004 03:54 AM CST
"i believe you were only able to enter your guilds areas"

you'd be wrong. traders and other guilds were able to enter any of the "guild" rooms and purchase whichever spellbook they liked.

---
A scavenger troll arrives, scouring the area.

The scavenger troll exclaims, "I dinks I like da' Moongate!"

The scavenger troll bends over and picks up the Moongate. After appraising it, the troll places the Moongate in its frayed knapsack
Spellbooks: Writing Pads 08/05/2004 02:01 PM CDT
It should once again be possible to read, write in, and erase from the writing pads in the spellbooks for those who bought that particular extra leaf.

As fixes go, this is on the complex end of the spectrum, so I'm going to leave it in Prime for a little while before copying it over to Plat and TF, just in case something comes up.

It'd probably be for the best manage to break it, because if I did this exactly right the code is now shorter, more resource friendly, more fault tolerant, and more flexible, and the other GMs are going to have to deal with me while I'm being insufferably pleased with myself ;-)

-Natala
DR II Strike Team
"If you were right and I was wrong
Why are you the one who's gone
And I'm still here."
-- Vertical Horizon "I'm Still Here"
Spellbooks and Bonding 01/21/2006 10:38 AM CST
Ok I just wanted final clarification on this. My wife just happens to be another guild until Necromancers make their debut, "soon". Anyhow, I was going to buy her a spellbook in the meantime. Can I do that with the better books? The sign says they bond - but many people say that's not accurate. Just the name of the purchaser is on it - which we can deal with. So, anyone know more about what might be broken if I purchase one for her? Thanks!

http://www.drplat.com - The DragonRealms Platinum Community Website. Be sure to vote DragonRealms as your #1 MUD!
Re: Spellbooks and Bonding 01/21/2006 10:48 AM CST
<<Just the name of the purchaser is on it - which we can deal with. So, anyone know more about what might be broken if I purchase one for her? Thanks!>>

Last I knew....

*Only the purchaser could attach or detach anything to the spellbook (special locks, beads, etc.)
*It has the purchaser's name on it.
*Though it says you can - you can't actually write in them yet (Might be fixed or on the to fix soon list)
*The herb page is no longer accurate unless that has been fixed recently as well.

~Chris
Re: Spellbooks and Bonding 01/22/2006 12:55 AM CST
I see. Thanks for the response. Now for a harder question. If my trader buys a book, and gets it dolled up to look like a necro book - then when Necromancers come out, I decide to reroll and join them. Will I still be able to use the book? Attach/De-attach, etc. though I suppose eventually necromancers will have their own books, but thats not a huge issue. It's more an RP/scholarship training piece anyways.

http://www.drplat.com - The DragonRealms Platinum Community Website. Be sure to vote DragonRealms as your #1 MUD!
Re: Spellbooks and Bonding 01/22/2006 03:51 AM CST
Only the original buyer can add/remove components. I'd suggest getting a book that you wouldn't mind having for oh, say, the entire duration of your Necro's career. Besides that, though, should be perfectly feasible.

Malkien the Barbarian (Kaldar do not sleep. They wait.)
Apis the Cleric (His tears cure cancer. Too bad he's never cried.)

Re: Spellbooks and Bonding 01/22/2006 05:38 PM CST
That is a good question...I have never tried. I know at least some items that bond still work if you reroll, but I know of others that don't.

Anyone with a ticket willing to test?

Rev. Reene, player of a few

You ask, "Who wants cake?"
>
Cayene says, "I'm good."
>
Cayene suddenly looks rather queasy.
Re: Spellbooks and Bonding 01/22/2006 05:57 PM CST
I have a customizable spellbook that was fine with me when I rerolled.

Spellbooks and Wounds 07/15/2007 07:14 AM CDT
I don't necessarily remember this before...but could someone take a look at reading spellbooks while wounded?

Some wounds, yes, I understand. But...

Your body feels at full strength.
Your spirit feels full of life.
You have no significant injuries.

J>
XXX touches you.
You feel a warmth radiate from XXXX's touch.
You have a brief sensation that leaves your wounds tingling.
J>study spell
You can't see the mistwood spellbook too well in your current condition.

I had some negligible/insignificant internal scars, but that was the most of it.
Re: Spellbooks and Wounds 07/15/2007 09:50 AM CDT
J>study spell
>You can't see the mistwood spellbook too well in your current condition.

>I had some negligible/insignificant internal scars, but that was the most of it.

Brain tumor :P

~ Player of Farman et al.

http://www.elanthipedia.com/wiki/Main_Page
Re: Spellbooks and Wounds 07/15/2007 09:52 AM CDT
IT'S NAHT A TUMAH!

Axillus - Halfling Warrior Mage
>You charge your steel-toed footwrap at a musk hog.
Re: Spellbooks and Wounds 07/15/2007 10:34 AM CDT
>I had some negligible/insignificant internal scars, but that was the most of it.

>Brain tumor :P

Well, at least it's insignificant.