Spellbook Repair 07/05/2003 12:38 PM CDT
So when is there going to be a merchant to repair spellbooks? I dont really care if spellbooks are sold again, just wish there was someone to repair them. I damaged my spellbook the other day by accidently putting it in my backpack instead of my case.

-Fvfour
Re: Spellbook Repair 07/05/2003 01:02 PM CDT
>>I dont really care if spellbooks are sold again, just wish there was someone to repair them.

<g> I don't share your opinion of that. However, I was under the impression that the same person who sold them would be fixing them. Not sure we'd get one without the other.

~Katrenos

[Mike] Mmm, I love Triscos, with Espinoza.
[Crow] Ooh yeah, and a little Hergert on 'em.
Spellbook Repair? 05/16/2010 05:51 PM CDT
I must have had my new custom spellbook in my hand when I stepped outside, because it is scuffed. Is there a way to repair damaged spellbooks?

Mr. Gorbachev, tear down this wall rank!
Re: Spellbook Repair? 05/16/2010 06:06 PM CDT
I was able to have it repainted -- the scuffing destroyed that -- but the scuffing is still there.

BEFORE: The spellbook has been carefully bound in kertig-veined steel, which is scuffed and is beaded along the edges with some miniature tawny amber lions, some polished blued-steel mongooses and some tarnished brass goshawks. Bold calligraphy inlaid in graceful silver leaf scrawls dramatically over the steel cover.

AFTER: The spellbook has been carefully bound in kertig-veined steel, which is painted with a sleek mongoose fiercely devouring a viper. It appears to be scuffed and is beaded along the edges with some miniature tawny amber lions, some polished blued-steel mongooses and some tarnished brass goshawks. Bold calligraphy inlaid in graceful silver leaf scrawls dramatically over the steel cover.

Re: Spellbook Repair? 05/16/2010 06:14 PM CDT
Its a whole different merchant if I recall... Might be simpler to just buy a new one. Remember you can't leave your book in anything but a case or it will be damaged, also rain/snow damage it to. Get a hafaltu-veined kuldaez crystal and a socket to protect it, from the rain/snow.

~Worrclan, Dwarf of the Realms-
Re: Spellbook Repair? 05/16/2010 06:14 PM CDT
>>ORRJ: Its a whole different merchant if I recall... Might be simpler to just buy a new one. Remember you can't leave your book in anything but a case or it will be damaged, also rain/snow damage it to. Get a hafaltu-veined kuldaez crystal and a socket to protect it.

is there a merchant around that can do it?

Re: Spellbook Repair? 05/16/2010 06:34 PM CDT
Yes, no, maybe... there is one, but he is a bit more rare than the spellbook merchant itself. I'd ask over in the event folder if he, or another merchant that can repair them(if there are others), will be at the fest. Again though, you might not want to wait, they often don't let the spellbook merchant sit around too long, so if the repair guy isn't coming... you'd miss out.

Re: Spellbook Repair? 05/16/2010 08:06 PM CDT
Why on earth do spellbooks even have this restriction?

"Magic has rules and so does posting on these forums." -Annwyl
Re: Spellbook Repair? 05/16/2010 10:01 PM CDT
>Why on earth do spellbooks even have this restriction?

You have to offset the immense benefit of a paltry amount of scholarship exp somehow.

>describe boar
It's a boar. It doesn't like you.
Re: Spellbook Repair? 05/17/2010 10:37 AM CDT
Paltry now, when they were first released I thought they taught scholarship fantastically. It's one of the reasons scholarship is in my top 10 skills.

-Guardian Lord Alaxndr Durnovaria, Advocate of Therengia

"A knight is sworn to valor
His heart knows only virtue
His blade defends the helpless
His words speak only truth
His wrath undoes the wicked."
Re: Spellbook Repair? 05/17/2010 10:42 AM CDT
Sorry for the double post, but I just actually studied through my spellbook for the first time since the fest started. I'm fairly certain the RT was reduced to 30-ish seconds per study to around 15 seconds per study. I actually got to 14/34 in scholarship. Maybe they are becoming a little more viable for learning? Very excited to see this.

Re: Spellbook Repair? 05/17/2010 07:17 PM CDT
How many ranks of scholarship do you have?

-=Issus=-
Re: Spellbook Repair? 05/17/2010 08:10 PM CDT
I did a little experimenting, and I was delighted to find that they do indeed teach me decently. However, they seem to have a cooldown between studies of over an hour and a half. I'm still not sure what it actually is, I figured an hour and a half would be well beyond whatever timer it had and found I was wrong. Could this be reduced significantly? I would love to finally have a good way to train this skill without having to run in circles in Ravens Court, but such an enormous timer between study sessions significantly reduces their usefulness for this purpose.

-=Issus=-
Re: Spellbook Repair? 05/17/2010 08:12 PM CDT
I get near locked with close to 440 in scholarship with a full read of my spellbook 24/34. Now mines a warrior mage one though, so a few more spells to read there...

Re: Spellbook Repair? 05/17/2010 09:48 PM CDT
That magic guilds are given another item to study to scholarship you should be happy about. If you want I can complain how unfair this is to us non-magic guilds....
Re: Spellbook Repair? 05/17/2010 10:18 PM CDT
The timer is pretty obviously excessive. If you have complaints about scholarship, by all means bring them up. Trust me, the more possible ways we can include to learn it the better in my opinion. Just because we need more ways, though, doesn't mean the ways that we do have that are very flawed can't be fixed.

-=Issus=-
Re: Spellbook Repair? 05/18/2010 02:33 AM CDT
<<That magic guilds are given another item to study to scholarship you should be happy about. If you want I can complain how unfair this is to us non-magic guilds

I don't understand how this is a GvG issue though. Last I checked, anyone can use a spellbook to learn scholarship. You don't have to use one from your guild.

Nikpack

The gods are jerks. No, really.-Armifer

I don't think we ever take the training wheels off as players or gamemasters.-Inauri
Re: Spellbook Repair? 05/18/2010 08:39 AM CDT
>>How many ranks of scholarship do you have?

362 ranks of scholarship right now. I'm a Paladin, so not a huge amount of spells in there for me either. I can imagine one of the magic primary guilds getting some good exp off these.

Re: Spellbook Repair? 05/18/2010 08:44 AM CDT
It's still teaching me:

Scholarship: 446 92.21% attentive (10/34)

I'm getting slightly less than a mindstate per page, seems like, as a lore secondary. Haven't gotten through the whole book yet.
Re: Spellbook Repair? 05/18/2010 09:50 AM CDT
Is the Immortals section supposed to teach or do anything? Just out of curiousity - when I study it, it doesn't teach or give RT or even give a "you can't do that" message... I get no response from the game at all. When I study other things that do nothing, I usually get the "studious look" messaging. I can read it fine (I know there are a couple of other sections that have no text at the moment) but it seems like it'd make sense to be able to study it as well.
Re: Spellbook Repair? 05/18/2010 12:50 PM CDT
>>Is the Immortals section supposed to teach or do anything? Just out of curiousity - when I study it, it doesn't teach or give RT or even give a "you can't do that" message... I get no response from the game at all. When I study other things that do nothing, I usually get the "studious look" messaging. I can read it fine (I know there are a couple of other sections that have no text at the moment) but it seems like it'd make sense to be able to study it as well.

I'm fairly certain the immortals and herbs section are not intended to work the same as the spell pages themselves. They are, however, a great RP tool.

>>You turn the glossy white parchment pages to the chapter entitled "The Book of Immortals" in your white ironwood spellbook.
>>You raise the spellbook up in front of you with both hands, holding it dramatically at arm's length while reading a passage out loud in a grand voice.

Now to find a congregation to preach to...

Re: Spellbook Repair? 05/18/2010 01:05 PM CDT
>Paltry now, when they were first released I thought they taught scholarship fantastically. It's one of the reasons scholarship is in my top 10 skills.

The amount of experience they grant didn't go down. It was just the distorting nature of the dynamic drain of the previous exp system that gave the perception of better learning. In fact, I think that system prevented players and GMs alike from recognizing major exp differences in general, which is slowly being fixed now. (As an example, the foraging tweak, which made foraging a completely reasonable skill to train.)

>describe boar
It's a boar. It doesn't like you.