Boss tasks 09/05/2008 01:52 AM CDT

>task
You look in your task journal and see the following entry:

Anthelorm wants you to hunt down Salodreab near Dragon's Spine, Mountain Foothills.

There are three rooms in this area with that name. (I checked.)

I have been lurking here for three hours killing everything I come across - which isn't much, because almost nothing is spawning here - and this thing has not showed up yet. I have tried moving through these rooms, I have tried not moving, I have tried dancing with something to see if it showed up eventually, I have tried killing things as fast as I can (though they only come one at a time every 10-20 minutes or so) and nothing has shown up.

This is lame, unintuitive and completely and utterly unfun. What gives? Am I doing something wrong or does this system just suck a lot more than I thought it did?

Rev. Reene

"But does one ever truly have a choice? One can only match, move by move, the machinations of Fate, and thus defy the tyrannous stars." -- Kain, Defiance
Re: Boss tasks 09/05/2008 07:36 AM CDT
I'm curious, is there anything keeping another player from killing it before you get there? Does it only gen when you get in the area?
Re: Boss tasks 09/05/2008 07:42 AM CDT
>>Anthelorm wants you to hunt down Salodreab NEAR Dragon's Spine, Mountain Foothills.<<

I'm wondering if Salodreab might be found in areas adjacent to the Dragon's Spine, Mountain Foothills.

I've never found anyone that could give me a valid reason why performing tasks was a good idea. I don't particularly see any benefit to them, other than a few coins, which are easy enough to get in other ways. Anyone care to enlighten me on the task system?

Life is too short to drink cheap beer.
Re: Boss tasks 09/05/2008 07:55 AM CDT
I believe the idea is for younger characters to be able to make a little money. I'm also pretty sure the system is only partially in place. It also breaks up the monotony of fighting the same half dozen critters.
Re: Boss tasks 09/05/2008 09:15 AM CDT
The problem it seems was killing snowbeasts as well as gargoyles. Once I started using calm to chase off snowbeasts (more out of annoyance than anything since nothing in these hunting areas can come close to touching me) it showed up.

I also think it's very odd the sorts of creatures I keep getting. Hatchlings, snow goblins, and gargoyles are absolutely no kind of challenge to me. I can kill them with my brawling, which is a good 50 ranks below my main melee weapon. And that aside, my TM is over twice said melee weapon and my defenses are high enough to make me yawn. It's a good thing the reward was less than 2 gold I guess.

Rev. Reene

"But does one ever truly have a choice? One can only match, move by move, the machinations of Fate, and thus defy the tyrannous stars." -- Kain, Defiance
Re: Boss tasks 09/05/2008 10:10 AM CDT
>>I'm curious, is there anything keeping another player from killing it before you get there?

You have to kill a few minions before you can find the boss. However, if you are busy killing off that last minion and the boss gens somewhere else, another player can kill the boss (which I think causes him to respawn on the next pulse.)

DISCLAIMER: THIS POSTER IS NOT A MEMBER OF STAFF AND HIS INFORMATION IS/MIGHT BE WRONG.
Re: Boss tasks 09/05/2008 11:27 AM CDT
I've never had the boss spawn anywhere but the room I was hunting in. It's always been triggered, in my experience, by the death of one of the normal critters of the boss' type, as part of the normal critters death messaging.

Also, regardless of whether you kill the boss or not, if you continue to kill the ordinary critters there before you've returned to the task-giver, the same boss can and will respawn for you multiple times. I've killed the same beiswurm boss 3 or 4 times in the past because I didn't want to hoof it back up to Riverhaven before getting a bit of extra MO training in. Killing the boss multiple times doesn't increase the reward though, it's apparently just a bit that get's flipped when you've killed your target.

As far as reasons why to use the system, for me it's mostly about my character actually having a genuine motivation to do what they're going to be doing anyway (ie. skill training is my OOC motivation, Agonar telling my barb to go forth and slaughter something is that character's IC motivation).

I think I've said it before, but it bears repeating even if so... This system has so much potential for greatness across the whole spectrum of character advancement/development that it's a total shame it doesn't have its own dedicated GM team of developers, IMO.

Putting the Romance back in Necromancer.

Necromancy: Because every man lives, not every man really dies.
Re: Boss tasks 09/05/2008 12:05 PM CDT
The Task System GM (Obseden) is currently unavailable for comment, but please bug the issues you're having and as soon as he's back in action, I'm sure he'll address them.

Solomon

"The probability of someone making a mathematical formulation on a non-mathematical subject is inversely proportional to its usefulness."
- Brust's Law of Mathematical Formulations

http://www.myspace.com/simutronicsdragonrealms
Re: Boss tasks 09/05/2008 12:47 PM CDT
whenever I had a snowbeast boss to take out, same with killing snowbeasts it was in the area north of the gondola, the area without gargs.
Re: Boss tasks 09/05/2008 06:49 PM CDT
when i was testing the system in TF with a newbie, i also found that when you do the "kill-critter, get item" task, it also gens a few of the item. After all night fighting said critter i had about 5 or 6 of said item sitting on the ground along with the pelts from said critter. but.. i also found you can't turn in the additional items to the npc, nor do the extra items pawn. :-)

<<Because it's a gigantic can of worms. Eldritch, necrotic, squamous worms, writhing in a vile stew of coagulating ichor, crushed from the living gullets of a thousand infant puppies, ululating in wordless terror. - Lorz>>
Re: Boss tasks 09/06/2008 06:47 AM CDT
>>when i was testing the system in TF with a newbie, i also found that when you do the "kill-critter, get item" task, it also gens a few of the item. After all night fighting said critter i had about 5 or 6 of said item sitting on the ground along with the pelts from said critter. but.. i also found you can't turn in the additional items to the npc, nor do the extra items pawn. :-)

I've seen this one too, and shown it to a couple of GMs. I just keep the extra Items as souveniers!

Sometimes the key to happiness is not assuming it is locked in the first place- Ziggy

A journey of a thousand SMILES begins with a single step- Ziggy