Casting tm spells, target leaves 07/11/2010 11:02 AM CDT
If you have a tm spell fully prepped, and fully targetted but the original targt is not available, due to the critter or person in question being dead, hidden or running off, and you cast on another target, is this better or worse than snap casting after a few sec with a target in mind? Is their disparity between guilds or skillsets regarding this feature? Are there any plans to alter this? Would it be more effective to simply release the spell and prep over?

-Armifer says consequences are how we honor evil roleplaying.
-Abasha says, "Personally, I love supporting evil characters, but not if they can't take their lumps too.
-Quarel says, "Not me I hit you because I like to hit."
Re: Casting tm spells, target leaves 07/11/2010 12:41 PM CDT
>If you have a tm spell fully prepped, and fully targetted but the original targt is not available, due to the critter or person in question being dead, hidden or running off, and you cast on another target, is this better or worse than snap casting after a few sec with a target in mind? Is their disparity between guilds or skillsets regarding this feature? Are there any plans to alter this? Would it be more effective to simply release the spell and prep over?

If you cast a spell at a creature you weren't targeting, it is treated as a snap cast. This is handled the same for all guilds.

>describe boar
It's a boar. It doesn't like you.
Re: Casting tm spells, target leaves 07/11/2010 04:08 PM CDT
How do you manage to cast a spell still targeted elsewhere?

Why do some of those unavailable target situations kill your whole spell and not just the targeting?

"Magic has rules and so does posting on these forums." -Annwyl
Re: Casting tm spells, target leaves 07/11/2010 04:12 PM CDT
I can't answer WHY it happens, but at least when you're able to just retarget something you have the benefit of having a fully prepped spell ready.

Grixlek says, "Courage is dangerous, it leads to attempts at heroics..."
Vegas asks, "What like dating?"
Grixlek says, "Nothing that dangerous I believe, but still crazy stuff."
Re: Casting tm spells, target leaves 07/11/2010 04:47 PM CDT
When you target something, you always have a fully prepped spell. Bug in the magic system.
Re: Casting tm spells, target leaves 07/11/2010 04:55 PM CDT
I thought it was intentional, considering how there are spells that react differently between waiting for a legit full prep vs a target-full-prep.
Re: Casting tm spells, target leaves 07/11/2010 05:14 PM CDT
It's a very longstanding oversight or something where once you start targeting a spell it completely forgets about how long you've been prepping and assumes you're fully prepped.

The time to fully cast a TM spell is supposed to be prep time + target time. The system as now, coupled with the (also being fixed) limitation that a multishot spells has a flat accuracy, creates bizarre problems like Chain Lightning being instantaneous.

"Magic has rules and so does posting on these forums." -Annwyl
Re: Casting tm spells, target leaves 07/11/2010 05:38 PM CDT
>It's a very longstanding oversight or something where once you start targeting a spell it completely forgets about how long you've been prepping and assumes you're fully prepped.

Full prep at the instant you target was an intentional design decision in the days when there were multiple lethal non-targeted spells. It will be changing in the rewrite, supposedly.

>describe boar
It's a boar. It doesn't like you.