TM & the new combat system 06/22/2009 01:00 PM CDT
If weapon-based combat is changing from damage-based to challenge-based experience, will this also apply to TM?

Will the same paradigm of fatigue drain be applied to TM-based attacks as weapon attacks?

-pete
Re: TM & the new combat system 06/22/2009 01:56 PM CDT
>>Will the same paradigm of fatigue drain be applied to TM-based attacks as weapon attacks?<<

Mana is to TM what fatigue will be to weapons, I imagine.

- Mazrian

The Flying Company
http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d194/huldahspal/flyingcompany.png
Re: TM & the new combat system 06/22/2009 02:00 PM CDT
Funny, I thought mana was to TM as ammo was to ranged...

Regardless, would be nice to know that magic will be on the same footing as mundane combat with these changes, even if TM has been my new best friend lately.

-pete
Re: TM & the new combat system 06/22/2009 02:10 PM CDT
>>Regardless, would be nice to know that magic will be on the same footing as mundane combat with these changes, even if TM has been my new best friend lately.<<

Magic always had it worse. Mana is always a constraint, but fatigue never is after awhile.

- Mazrian

The Flying Company
http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d194/huldahspal/flyingcompany.png
Re: TM & the new combat system 06/22/2009 02:54 PM CDT
>>Regardless, would be nice to know that magic will be on the same footing as mundane combat with these changes, even if TM has been my new best friend lately.

Does anyone really think we'd make a systemic change to the very nature of how damage is applied but leave the most popular weapon skill in the game out of it?

The only TM spell that will retain simple organ removal after the change is fully implemented is Incinerate.

-Armifer
<Kvlt> Step 1: Want stuff! Step 2: Be ambitious! Step 3: Believe in the ability of your fellow man to carry you to heights you are too incompetent to reach alone.
Re: TM & the new combat system 06/22/2009 03:58 PM CDT
>Does anyone really think we'd make a systemic change to the very nature of how damage is applied but leave the most popular weapon skill in the game out of it?

I'd rather know how spellcasting fatigue and TM exp are going to play with the new system... TM exp I can geuss will just follow the new weapon xp model, but we've heard nothing about spellcasting fatigue under the new fatigue model.

"...I am inclined to think the focus of the [Warmage's] spellbook should be ways to make things explode, to help you make things explode, or to assist your victim in exploding." -Armifer
Re: TM & the new combat system 06/22/2009 04:09 PM CDT
>>I'd rather know how spellcasting fatigue and TM exp are going to play with the new system... TM exp I can geuss will just follow the new weapon xp model, but we've heard nothing about spellcasting fatigue under the new fatigue model.

I wish I could tell you something beyond "pending further testing." The new fatigue model is going to get tweaked during testing, and I'm not going to be able to make coherent changes to account for it until after that.

-Armifer
<Kvlt> Step 1: Want stuff! Step 2: Be ambitious! Step 3: Believe in the ability of your fellow man to carry you to heights you are too incompetent to reach alone.
Re: TM & the new combat system 06/22/2009 04:14 PM CDT
Well, 'nothing to say' is better than 'vast conspiracy!'

"...I am inclined to think the focus of the [Warmage's] spellbook should be ways to make things explode, to help you make things explode, or to assist your victim in exploding." -Armifer
Re: TM & the new combat system 06/22/2009 04:19 PM CDT
No conspiracy, I and many other GMs had a hand in designing the new combat system.

But there is a limit to how many specifics I can get into at the moment. EXP, Mana, TM, and Combat Core are all screaming down the pipe and each one is going to affect TM spells in funny ways. Silence or vagueness at this point is not PAFO or evidence of a conspiracy, but simply the result of having a lot of variables left to nail down.

-Armifer
Re: TM & the new combat system 06/24/2009 01:00 PM CDT
Should i take up a ranged weapon?
Re: TM & the new combat system 06/25/2009 09:24 PM CDT
>>Should i take up a ranged weapon?

If for no other reason than ranged attack capability in low-mana or non-magic rooms, yes.

- GM Wythor

What goes up
is futile --
unless it goes out