Foraging Terrain? 08/18/2017 05:04 PM CDT
Is there a way to determine what kind of terrain you are in? For herb foraging purposes? Thanks!

Alesea
Re: Foraging Terrain? 08/18/2017 08:51 PM CDT
>>Is there a way to determine what kind of terrain you are in? For herb foraging purposes? Thanks!

There are a number of factors that determine what you can forage outside of terrain, but there isn't a good way to figure out most of them.

Uzmam! The Chairman will NOT be pleased to know you're trying to build outside of approved zones. I'd hate for you to be charged the taxes needed to have this place re-zoned. Head for the manor if you're feeling creative.
Re: Foraging Terrain? 10/24/2017 10:19 AM CDT
Yeah, this suggestion keeps coming up because honestly it makes no sense that it isn't already part of the game.

>forage survey
You survey the nearby foliage and you determine that you are likely to find dirt, rocks, moss, grass, and roots.
Roundtime: 10 seconds

>forage survey careful
You carefully survey the nearby foliage and determine that you can find dirt, rocks, moss, grass, and roots.
Looking further, you notice signs that cebi root, hisan grass, and eghmok moss may be nearby.
Roundtime: 20 seconds

It's weird because there are all these ways to get clues to environmental factors. For instance, when you find treasure, the success message tells you what the floor is made of - rock, dirt, etc. But there's no real way to map it out or understand it. And it's one of the most basic things in reality. It hurts immersion when you can't really tell an ice room from a tropical forest because there's pretty much no difference in anything except the room description.

I guess I just don't get it because I feel like this would be so easy to add in, and it seems so obvious. At least as a Ranger specialty.

(If there is a verb that tells you about the environment that I don't know about, please correct me!)
Re: Foraging Terrain? 10/24/2017 10:33 AM CDT

+1 for this idea.

I would love it to be open to everyone, but i’d Be fine if it were a survival perk of some sort.
Re: Foraging Terrain? 10/24/2017 11:24 AM CDT
>>It's weird because there are all these ways to get clues to environmental factors. For instance, when you find treasure, the success message tells you what the floor is made of - rock, dirt, etc. But there's no real way to map it out or understand it. And it's one of the most basic things in reality. It hurts immersion when you can't really tell an ice room from a tropical forest because there's pretty much no difference in anything except the room description.

I think part of the "not letting people see something obvious that's always been hidden behind the curtain" is because room settings sometimes prioritize functionality over accuracy, and the biome system (incredibly robust as it is) needs a revision. As one example, IIRC the ship docks in Crossing are a grassland.

I really should update some of the ALAE pages on epedia just to give people an understanding of all the environmental/biome factors that can exist in a room, because it's really wild stuff. I definitely hope there's an IC way for people to appreciate that stuff if it there's ever the ability to give the system the facelift it deserves.

Uzmam! The Chairman will NOT be pleased to know you're trying to build outside of approved zones. I'd hate for you to be charged the taxes needed to have this place re-zoned. Head for the manor if you're feeling creative.
Re: Foraging Terrain? 10/24/2017 01:35 PM CDT
Love the idea (and have wanted it since I first saw a proposal of this type in 2003 or so). I like a tiered approach where skill level allows for more and more information and skill set lets you get to that information faster. Yea I know it's double dipping a bit since higher skill set should train faster anyway, but eesh it's foraging. Especially since they turned herbs into that abomination that is alchemy it's really only good for mining and lumber jacking.

~Hunter Hanryu
"Beseech Tree to Cross, which turns any nearby tree into a handy-dandy cross for the Ranger to carry around in any thread for maximum dramatic effect."~TEVESHSZAT
Re: Foraging Terrain? 06/10/2018 10:11 PM CDT
>I think part of the "not letting people see something obvious that's always been hidden behind the curtain" is because room settings sometimes prioritize functionality over accuracy,

Sorry to necro this, but how is this a good thing? Should we really leave docks a grassland to give a couple traders an advantage in lazy scripting?

This is exactly why we need a command - so we can bug rooms that don't make sense!
Re: Foraging Terrain? 06/11/2018 01:50 PM CDT
>>This is exactly why we need a command - so we can bug rooms that don't make sense!

Not to armchair GM, but my guess is that the volume of bugs that would be submitted if/when this happens would be so large that it would be untenable.

I could also see situations where new biomes (or a whole new environment system in general) would need to be produced to better acknowledge how the environment should really work. For example, I don't believe there's a way to set something as two particular types of biomes/terrains/etc at once, preventing you from creating something like a highly urban environment that also has lush plants. You have to pick one or the other. Do you care about the cobblestone roads more than the trees, or do the giant trees in this particular marshland weigh out the fact that everything is so swampy, etc etc etc.

That said, I fully agree that, at some point, rooms should be properly reviewed/assessed/labeled/etc and then have that information made viewable by players (at which point hopefully room bugs would be less of a deluge).

Re: Foraging Terrain? 06/14/2018 06:42 PM CDT
>Not to armchair GM, but my guess is that the volume of bugs that would be submitted if/when this happens would be so large that it would be untenable.

Entirely likely. Perhaps a separate bug category though, so that when a GM did have 5 minutes to sit down they could easily fix some rooms.