engineers guild 12/31/2009 05:39 AM CST
Guild of inventors and tinkerers:

Lore primary:
Weapon and Armor Secondary:
Magic and Survival Tertiary:

Guild would focus on alchemy, forges and crafting. Would be able to craft Crossbows and siege weapons. Magic would aide craft/forge/alchemy. would also use what they have made in conjunction with magic for combat.
Re: engineers guild 12/31/2009 09:23 AM CST
I like it.

<<DISCLAIMER: THIS POSTER IS NOT A MEMBER OF STAFF AND HIS INFORMATION IS/MIGHT BE WRONG. >>

You flat out, absolutely, 100% have no idea what you're talking about.

Solomon
Re: engineers guild 12/31/2009 10:26 AM CST
I thought of something similar to this back when the lore split was first being discussed; it seems sensible to me, because none of the current guilds are really focused on the creation of items. Traders are the only existing guild which really revolve around defining the mundane economies of scale which would exist in order to support so many guilds of adventurers and supernaturalists (i.e. I think Barbarians forge, for the moment, mostly because there will never be a Blacksmith's guild).

The only change I would make is that I would personally like to see them as a completely non-magical guild, because making them another magic-using guild would (IMO) severely limit the possible uniqueness of their niche in Dragonrealms.

Hypothetical Guild A: Uses magic, just like everyone else, to power their supernatural feats of engineering
Hypothetical Guild B: Uses actual knowledge of engineering to power their supernatural feats of engineering

"I hate you so much right now." -GM Armifer
Re: engineers guild 12/31/2009 11:06 AM CST
Sounds interesting.. Lets give the existing Lore primary guilds a year or 3 in the sun befor sticking a new superior Lore guild in the game.

______
Kertig Heart Magdar Bluefletch, Legendary Barbarian of M'Riss
Re: engineers guild 12/31/2009 11:44 AM CST
I do think this is an interesting idea.

OTOH, maybe something like this could be done as a reboot of the trader's guild...

Would sure make it a lot more viable than the current set-up.

-pete
Re: engineers guild 12/31/2009 12:26 PM CST
>>reboot of the Trader's guild

A good point, yours as well Magdar: probably best to let the lore split actually happen and then see where the existing guilds fall after a couple years of development. Perhaps it's time Traders enjoyed a wide broadening of their guild definition which other guilds have enjoyed recently.

Re: engineers guild 12/31/2009 12:29 PM CST
> Perhaps it's time Traders enjoyed a wide broadening of their guild definition which other guilds have enjoyed recently.

Zeyurn and I are working on putting together a trader task force for '10. It will include some of our best coders. So yes, hopefully before '10 is over we'll see some significant progress for traders.

- GM Dartenian

Though my soul may set in darkness it will rise in perfect light. I have loved the stars too fondly to be fearful of the night! - Sarah Williams
Re: engineers guild 12/31/2009 12:36 PM CST
>Zeyurn and I are working on putting together a trader task force for '10. It will include some of our best coders. So yes, hopefully before '10 is over we'll see some significant progress for traders.

Cool. Would be neat if there was a crafting specialization vs. the selling specialization currently in the guild.

-pete
Re: engineers guild 12/31/2009 01:50 PM CST
Honestly I think it would make a HUGE difference if they were renamed from "Traders" to something else. Something that could encompass the trading side, but could also be focused on crafting/inventing/engineering.

The idea of being defined by yak movement is pretty disheartening.

-- Player of Niieth
Re: engineers guild 12/31/2009 03:25 PM CST
I don't think a renaming is necessary. Tanners who skin their own skins, arrange them into leather armor, and then sell them are traders of a sort. Blacksmiths who sell their wares are traders of a sort, even if most of their product goes through a middle-man (current Traders guild) who has vending tables.

Just broaden the term trading to mean being more than the middle man.

Re: engineers guild 12/31/2009 04:33 PM CST
Philosophers of the Coin
Re: engineers guild 12/31/2009 04:47 PM CST
I vote for rename to Treasure Hunters. I'd much rather see them moved in a combat direction. There is a ton of abilities that can be created regarding loot/gems/treasures etc. This would just be cool as hell. And they could still retrain all their trader powers IMO...

Gonif,

Are you suggesting that a spell be written specifically to allow necromancers to move into an area protected by holy magic for the purpose of constructing a vulture heart candy trail for Khurek to follow?

-Totenus
Re: engineers guild 12/31/2009 05:41 PM CST
I hope this is for some general lore guild love:
some of the top coders for traders
Z for bards

I think the entire idea of an engineer guild is what lore primes should be.

Nikpack

The gods are jerks. No, really.
-Armifer
Re: engineers guild 01/01/2010 03:27 PM CST
>reboot of the Trader's guild

Traders need this.

It will cost you 444 TDPs to raise your Strength from 99 to 100.