Survival prime warrior-monk guild 07/28/2009 02:56 PM CDT
I was thinking of starting a character the other day, sort of a martial artist that uses magic to supplement his brawling and spear skills (the kung-fu character). I rolled a character, and soon found that the moon mage guild was not ideal because the spells do not line up with the concept. The warrior mage guild has some spells that would work, especially in the air manipulation category, however the survival tert really hinders the plan of being a non-shield using martial artist that would probably also be good at hiding and wears cloth armor. The cleric's spells do not match up and neither do the ranger's. So.. how about a guild that kinda follows this pattern:

Skillsets would be the same as thieves, survival prime, weapons and magic secondary. (or any combination of the three)

Magic spells would be primarily non-damaging combat buffs, using elemental mana. Spells that allow you to move freely or faster, hide better, strike harder. I was thinking of an elementalist type of guild that is not really aligned with any immortals but focused on the elements, almost to the point of worship; where warrior-mages are kind of at odds with their philosophy, manipulating elemental mana in ways that are at odds with the monk's sensibilities.

They would have bonuses to using cloth armor, such as evasion boosting spells that would be seriously hindered using other forms of armor.

Perhaps special brawling maneuvers such as disarm and debilitating maneuvers that would make arms go numb etc etc.

I think I may have seen a similar suggestion a while ago but can't remember for sure and can't seem to find it. Anyway, what do people think of this idea? I think that it would be kind of a nice complement to the thieves guild, warrior mages and barbarians in a way, and brawling is a large enough system that I think it would be possible to base a guild around it. I just really kind of like the whole eastern fantasy concept with the martial arts and control of elements and think that a dragonrealms interpretation would be a good addition to the game.
Re: Survival prime warrior-monk guild 07/28/2009 03:07 PM CDT
Good luck with that one. My guess is it ain't happenin'. There's no reason you can't try to make it work with a warrior mage other than the fact that you don't like the idea of tertiary skills.

I mean, if I drop a nuke on you, "Can't hit me I'm hiding!" isn't going to really get you very far.

- GM Dartenian
Re: Survival prime warrior-monk guild 07/28/2009 03:24 PM CDT
I have no problem with the idea of tertiary skills, just the functionality of them. And I don't expect anything "soon" if at all, I know the GMs are tied up with a lot of things but I don't think it hurts to discuss concepts.
Re: Survival prime warrior-monk guild 07/28/2009 03:33 PM CDT
I don't think I see why the ranger guild doesn't fit the bill here. Same skill setup as thieves, magical abilities that increase physical abilities (including some that specifically enhance evasion), preference for lighter armor, etc. It's life mana instead of elemental, which frankly I would think fits the concept of a guy powered by mastery of his own inner strength better anyway.

If it's the trappings of the guild that throw you off -- all the tree hugging and nature loving and whatnot -- just ignore them and play your character the way you want.

Just my opinion, of course.

http://www.heromachine.com
Re: Survival prime warrior-monk guild 07/28/2009 03:37 PM CDT
You pretty much described the ranger guild as far as I'm concerned.

>>Spells that allow you to (1) move freely or faster, (2) hide better, (3) strike harder.

1. SoP, cheetah swiftness.

2. EM.

3. Claws of the Cougar.

Rangers have a really great skillset set up.

Also, Thieves are magic tert, not secondary.

--Player of Szrael --

Professional Healers Association Fee Calculator:

http://empathunion.appspot.com

Professional Healers Association Unofficial Crossing Healing Spot: east, north, go backdoor from Empath guild.
Re: Survival prime warrior-monk guild 07/28/2009 03:38 PM CDT
GMs already have 3 "concrete plans" (I use the term quite loosely) for new guilds. Adding a 4th might as well be dead horse (we shall name him Fred) territory.

DISCLAIMER: THIS POSTER IS NOT A MEMBER OF STAFF AND HIS INFORMATION IS/MIGHT BE WRONG.
Re: Survival prime warrior-monk guild 07/28/2009 03:45 PM CDT
>GMs already have 3 "concrete plans" (I use the term quite loosely) for new guilds. Adding a 4th might as well be dead horse (we shall name him Fred) territory.

Raaah, stop it.

"...I am inclined to think the focus of the [Warmage's] spellbook should be ways to make things explode, to help you make things explode, or to assist your victim in exploding." -Armifer
Re: Survival prime warrior-monk guild 07/28/2009 03:50 PM CDT
haha J'lod

~Arwinia

The Empath spellbook is a riddle trapped in an enigma hidden inside a lot of suck.-Armifer
Re: Survival prime warrior-monk guild 07/28/2009 04:52 PM CDT
Also... really... moon mages would fit that too.

That's the entire Monk's sect.

We have boosters (Seer's Sense, IoE both sound like what you're talking about) for defense and offense. Predictions if you need more offensive punch (or defensive). Shadows/RF/Darkness for hiding mojo.

You're weapons tert sure... but something has to be tert.
Re: Survival prime warrior-monk guild 07/28/2009 05:10 PM CDT
Eh, not a big deal. Probably just leave him as a warrior mage(as much as it pains me to do so) and try to have some fun with it once in a while, as my main is a barbarian and I am not going to stop playing him anytime soon. I still think something could be done with brawling but guild specific combat moves would probably have to be invented first. I would start a new barbarian and have him use the dance forms and be highly disciplined but you know would just wonder why the heck am I not doing this with my main the whole time. Just a vessel for an idea really, thanks for the ideas though.
Re: Survival prime warrior-monk guild 07/28/2009 05:28 PM CDT
>I still think something could be done with brawling but guild specific combat moves would probably have to be invented first...

What, you mean like choke?

Anyway, warmages have the best brawling titles.

"...I am inclined to think the focus of the [Warmage's] spellbook should be ways to make things explode, to help you make things explode, or to assist your victim in exploding." -Armifer
Re: Survival prime warrior-monk guild 07/29/2009 04:40 AM CDT
Bards can already do most of the buffs mentioned, plus use elemental mana.

Aveda's Field Guide- http://dr.aveda.googlepages.com
Re: Survival prime warrior-monk guild 07/29/2009 07:39 PM CDT
Well I had a great idea, this is how my barbarian is going to retire.;) Once he has had enough bloodshed and is gifted with inner peace he is going to travel the lands barefoot with a shaved head and long beard, monks robes and a backtube full of spears, promoting world peace and solving problems with 'controlled' violence whenever the situation calls for it. Sweet. But first back to living in the wilds like an animal and violently piling up bodies to reach the sun in a desperate attempt to quell the thrashings of his inner demons, or something like that.