Mech Split - Tinkering (Lockpicking and COUNTERFEIT items!) 08/15/2007 03:24 PM CDT
It would be very sad if the mech split led to lockpick carving to an exlusive skill with no other purpose, and not make much sense to have it tied with any of the other major possible split skills (Metalworking, Woodworking?, Mining, Alchemy, etc.) Since "tinkering" deals with fine mechanics, lockpicks (and maybe in the future, crafting locks for containers and doors?) definitely fall under under this category. Can have "Tinkering" be the skill to govern lockpick carving? This also enables expansion to making small devices and possibly in conjunction with other mech split skills, to create cheaper (much weaker) counterfeit items that only a skilled appraiser can tell the difference.

I would love to throw in some counterfeit jewelry, decor, even equipment in the market! A counterfeit equipment may look good on the surface but you don't know what materials were used (dyes, dust, etc can be used) and how solid/sturdy the item truly is.

Counterfeit items would require even a skilled appraiser to appraise it CAREFULly to spot the flaws and identify its real worth and capabilities.

[You're smashed up, winded, off balance with opponent in superior position.]

>berserk stone
[You're invigorated, invigorated, incredibly balanced and in good position.]
Re: Mech Split - Tinkering (Lockpicking and COUNTERFEIT items!) 10/27/2007 10:59 AM CDT
<<I would love to throw in some counterfeit jewelry, decor, even equipment in the market!>>

That's a pretty neat idea. No idea how it would work in relation to not wanting to jack with new playes, but a neat concept nonetheless.

Madigan

True heroism is remarkably sober, very undramatic. It is not the urge to surpass all others at whatever cost, but the urge to serve others at whatever cost.

Arthur Ashe
Re: Mech Split - Tinkering (Lockpicking and COUNTERFEIT items!) 10/27/2007 02:45 PM CDT
Eh.

Coding a counterfeiting system would be explicitly encouraging and facilitating scamming. That is a Bad Thing for everyone, even the counterfeiters.

- Mazrian
Re: Mech Split - Tinkering (Lockpicking and COUNTERFEIT items!) 10/27/2007 04:30 PM CDT
<<Coding a counterfeiting system would be explicitly encouraging and facilitating scamming. That is a Bad Thing for everyone, even the counterfeiters.>>

The purpose of the idea would be, in fact, to scam. Assuming you don't allow counterfeiting of money or high end products, I like the idea.

This has been done actually and recently. There are a number of "fake jewelry" items floating around that have noticable flaws in them if viewed close enough. Why do I think it is a good idea:

1. It gives another tool in a thief's toolbox to break the law and profit from it.
2. It gives more meaning to a lore skill, appraisal (Lore needs some love IMO).

I am sure more specifics would need to be hashed out, but don't dismiss things so quickly. As long as there is a skill check and some protection to young beginning folks, I have an open mind to it. YMMV.

Madigan

True heroism is remarkably sober, very undramatic. It is not the urge to surpass all others at whatever cost, but the urge to serve others at whatever cost.

Arthur Ashe
Re: Mech Split - Tinkering (Lockpicking and COUNTERFEIT items!) 10/27/2007 05:35 PM CDT
Madigan,

I have two concerns.

First, buyers and sellers in DR have extremely high certainty that they are exchanging honestly.

If convincing counterfeit items become prevelant, that trust would disappear and the prices of all player exchanged goods would decrease. This would effect everyone, including the counterfeiters. Everyone would just be less happy with the state of affairs.

Second, scamming is a big deal. If someone sells me a counterfeit item, where is my recourse? Do I kill the trader who sold it ot me? Can I track down the original author of the item and kill them? Until I get my money back?

Counterfeiting opens up a can of worms that I really don't think anyone wants to open.

- Mazrian
Re: Mech Split - Tinkering (Lockpicking and COUNTERFEIT items!) 10/27/2007 05:39 PM CDT
<< the prices of all player exchanged goods would decrease.>>

that could be a good thing. because the highly inflated prices are rediculous.

<<If nothing else, maybe some Magic Using guilds will now feel the joys of "You cannot steal here.", at least for a while.--Solomon>>
Re: Mech Split - Tinkering (Lockpicking and COUNTERFEIT items!) 10/27/2007 05:52 PM CDT
Prices wouldn't go down. Demand would stay the same, and supply would stay the same. The only thing that would change would be the number of transactions that aren't facilitated by a reputable trader. I assume that traders of sufficient skill would be able to spot fakes. If someone is trying to pass fakes to the trader, then the trader won't deal with them. If there's a trader who gets caught selling fakes, then that trader will lose business pretty quickly.

The only people who would be susceptible to fakes would be the new players and folks who didn't know any better/didn't care.
Re: Mech Split - Tinkering (Lockpicking and COUNTERFEIT items!) 10/27/2007 05:52 PM CDT
>>that could be a good thing. because the highly inflated prices are rediculous.<<

I don't believe prices are inflated, but that's another argument.

In this case, even if prices do come down, it's a bad thing.

In economics, this is called the lemon problem.

The DR formulation of the problem goes like this:

There are genuine and counterfit items on the market.

Sellers know what type of item they're offering, but buyers don't.

Since buyers are uncertain about what they will get when they buy something, they will be willing to pay only prices that are somewhere between what they would pay for a known counterfeit and what the genuine article is worth to them. So the price on the market of any particular counterfeitable item goes down.

If this happens, sellers of genuine articles can only get less for their items than the items are worth, so they will be less likely to offer them for sale. Sellers of counterfeits, however, can still get more than the value of their items, so they will continue to sell.

Genuine articles are driven off the market. As the proportion of fakes to genuine items increases, the price adjustment becomes more severe until there are only fakes for sale.

Are there ways around this? Yes, but they involve increased transaction time and increased costs for buyers and sellers. Everyone is just better off if everything on the market is genuine.

- Mazrian
Re: Mech Split - Tinkering (Lockpicking and COUNTERFEIT items!) 10/27/2007 05:53 PM CDT
>>Demand would stay the same, and supply would stay the same.

No, for the reasons I just posted.

- Mazrian
Re: Mech Split - Tinkering (Lockpicking and COUNTERFEIT items!) 10/27/2007 11:37 PM CDT
<<The only thing that would change would be the number of transactions that aren't facilitated by a reputable trader.>>

Great point. This would also give traders more play in Elanthia. If I was spending a ton of coin on something, I would absolutely require a third-party appraisal of the item. Looks like a triple win if done correctly.

Guys and gals, I am a big fan of going outside the box a bit to give lore guilds more play in the game. This actually sounds pretty cool if done properly.

Madigan

Arthur Ashe
Re: Mech Split - Tinkering (Lockpicking and COUNTERFEIT items!) 10/28/2007 01:35 AM CDT
>>Second, scamming is a big deal. If someone sells me a counterfeit item, where is my recourse? Do I kill the trader who sold it ot me? Can I track down the original author of the item and kill them? Until I get my money back?

It's consent. Explicitly spelled out in a news article (as opposed to the actual, original policy document), I recall, for your viewing pleasure. Whether you can recover or have to write it off puts the event squarely on the same level as PVP--which almost nobody has a problem with as a concept.

J'Lo, I'm a ranger.. I'd believe anything.....
The Manipulation List -- http://symphaena.com/index.html
Re: Mech Split - Tinkering (Lockpicking and COUNTERFEIT items!) 10/28/2007 09:41 AM CDT
>>It's consent. Explicitly spelled out in a news article (as opposed to the actual, original policy document), I recall, for your viewing pleasure. Whether you can recover or have to write it off puts the event squarely on the same level as PVP--which almost nobody has a problem with as a concept.<<

If you can't see the ways in which this would be MILES away from PvP, I'm not sure what to say.

It you want to compare it to PvP, then compare it to Snipe, where there is a decent chance that you have no idea who wronged you. We all know how fun Snipe is for consent policy.

- Mazrian
Re: Mech Split - Tinkering (Lockpicking and COUNTERFEIT items!) 10/28/2007 09:42 AM CDT
>>Guys and gals, I am a big fan of going outside the box a bit to give lore guilds more play in the game. This actually sounds pretty cool if done properly.<<

I'm all for making lores more useful, too. But the solution is not this one, and the poster you quoted is wrong in his assertion.

- Mazrian
Re: Mech Split - Tinkering (Lockpicking and COUNTERFEIT items!) 11/07/2007 01:11 AM CST
Lore would be fine if they just gave creation system perks based on lore skill, primary the best then secondary without none of the nonsense of giving the best systems to terts just because they had it and complain. That wont happen so the lore split will not that interesting since lore tert will benefit the same much

I cant even think of other decent lore perks to suggest :(

Don't fear the dark, Fear what hides in it.
Re: Mech Split - Tinkering (Lockpicking and COUNTERFEIT items!) 11/07/2007 09:03 AM CST
>>I cant even think of other decent lore perks to suggest :(

I've made some rather unusual suggestions for Lore perks before on the boards.

Just as a few quick brainstormed examples, make Teaching ranks slightly lower the number of TDPs you need for training mentals and Scholarship lower slightly lower the TDPs needed to train physicals.

Make a successful APP <critter> give lore primaries a small boost to defense vs. that opponent.

Mechanical lore will be good when it's split and every skill helps with the physical creation of an item.

Honestly I really only think it would take the mech split and a few small, tangible (perhaps even combat-related) perks in lore to make the skillset pretty desirable. The challenge becomes not only the lore split but coming up with cohesive, non-creation-based perks for Lore that other guilds could actually envy (e.g., sucks to be a Barbarian, because Scholarship helps lower the cost needed to train strength, and they learn it at a tert rate).

Have [(teaching + scholarship) / 2] add a small positive multiplier to experience gain: not large enough to make powr-gamers cry wolf, but something that would make lore primaries somewhat excited about the perk.

Just some ideas. Those are pretty radical (modifying TDPs and experience gain with ranked skills) but I'm sure the GMs could come up with something.
Re: Mech Split - Tinkering (Lockpicking and COUNTERFEIT items!) 11/14/2007 10:02 AM CST
Yeh But Lore Split wont help that much, they already said they will give lore tert guilds the best systems still because they had it in the past, lets not kid ourselves to think pottery will be as interesting or sought after then Metalworking or tanning.

Problem with DR is they make up ridiculus things by name instead of equality by skill sets. If a GM deams their guild sounds right for something they can viably have every single important skill primary. WHile guilds like thieves dont really sound good for any of their terts, and even suffer from one secondary.

If the Mech Split did what DR has always done and simply go by skillset, then yes it would make lore FINALLY useful as a skillset. But if they give lore tert guilds the best few systems as primary too then it defeats the whole purpose and its still pointless to have lore as a skillset when you could of been tert in it and still benefited just as much or more

Don't fear the dark, Fear what hides in it.
Re: Mech Split - Tinkering (Lockpicking and COUNTERFEIT items!) 11/14/2007 02:53 PM CST
>If the Mech Split did what DR has always done and simply go by skillset, then yes it would make lore FINALLY useful as a skillset. But if they give lore tert guilds the best few systems as primary too then it defeats the whole purpose and its still pointless to have lore as a skillset when you could of been tert in it and still benefited just as much or more

Well said.

Aveda's Field Guide
http://dr.aveda.googlepages.com
Hot hot hot scripts, Antique P5 maps, a macro tutorial, skill & stat training advice, and plenty of Bardly goodness.
Reckus 4 is out! Now with vocal support! 9/18/2007
Re: Mech Split - Tinkering (Lockpicking and COUNTERFEIT items!) 12/11/2007 01:03 AM CST
>Second, scamming is a big deal. If someone sells me a counterfeit item, where is my recourse? Do I kill the trader who sold it ot me? Can I track down the original author of the item and kill them? Until I get my money back?

I think in this case, you have consent on the Merchant. However, you can hold them responsible for giving you back your money and if they agreed, conflict pretty much ends there.

For the merchant, any good merchant should keep track of their sources. IIRC of the consent policty, the merchant who is now informed of the fake now has consent on the their supplier.

The supplier can now be black listed by all traders or big traders can send thugs/personally take care of the counterfeiter.

Reene: It's like you started writing something sane then had a seizure of some kind half way through.

XXX points at a bare spot that leads southeast into the deep wilderness.
XXX whispers to you, "OOC: type g spot for leucros."
Re: Mech Split - Tinkering (Lockpicking and COUNTERFEIT items!) 11/19/2008 10:32 AM CST
OLSONM6 has the right idea..... demand for items ( quality items ) won't go away.... and it will add a needed new facet to the market. Reputable traders will be able to spot fakes and not sell them, and this will actually HELP their business... while those that are less trust worthy pay the price for their unethical practices. The point is it increases the realism. we;ve all be approached by someone selling a Gucci watch for 20 bucks.... and it would add another skill to the limited repatoire of thieves.. I agree there should be a defense for the young ( same as stealing protection ) and as far as the counterfits decreasing the prices of items sold by traders... SOMETHING SHOULD... they can be utterly rediculous and extremely unjustifiably inflated. Perhaps this will counter balance these prices gougers. I say go for it
Re: Mech Split - Tinkering (Lockpicking and COUNTERFEIT items!) 11/19/2008 02:06 PM CST
>> The point is it increases the realism. we;ve all be approached by someone selling a Gucci watch for 20 bucks.

I think you're making kind of a big assumption here.

Honestly, scamming is already easy enough to do. While I wouldn't mind seeing counterfeit stuff per se I can't think of a reasonable way to implement a system like that.

Rev. Reene

Gylwyn says to you, "Heretics are often the finders of truth."
Re: Mech Split - Tinkering (Lockpicking and COUNTERFEIT items!) 11/19/2008 04:16 PM CST
That specific example wasn't exactly what I had in mind when I wrote this suggestion.. omg last year! I was thinking more along the lines of fake/replica's of Mona Lisa, Sculpture of David, or copper-alloy sabre coated with a thin layer of glaes to appear like a full-fledged glaes sabre, warcat skin leathers specially tanned to appear like perfect firecats, etc.

However, imitation Brand-name products would be a neat idea to adapt into DR if we can create fake Maker's Marks.