Prev_page Previous 1
New WM Metaspell 10/23/2015 11:37 PM CDT
Can't say if anyone has suggested this before, as I've been gone for awhile, but it would be nice to add a teleport ability to the WM Lightning Bolt spell. I know it kinda overlaps with MM abilities, but hear me out. You could make it a high level ritual Metaspell that only transports the caster, with significant stun time/nerve damage even at successful casts. Cast LB at self, will let you teleport to wherever your familiar is, or maybe to any of the WM guild halls, or something else that doesn't give the same level of functionality that Moongating gives. Could require you to first establish an Electric Domain, or even require you to cast Grounding Field set to water to amplify the spell power, idk. It would certainly add some unique functionality to a WM spellbook that is awfully one dimensional, and might even turn Grounding Field into a semi-logical choice.
Re: New WM Metaspell 10/24/2015 12:16 AM CDT
lol no

Thayet
Twitter: @thayelf
Tumblr: thayette.tumblr.com
Re: New WM Metaspell 10/24/2015 05:41 AM CDT
This is 'fuzzy logic'.

In DR, any/every teleportation ability is tied to the MM guild for game design reasons. By your logic, and modern medicine, we could also use LB or GZ to resurrect people.

But game design says it's a no-go.
Re: New WM Metaspell 10/24/2015 06:11 AM CDT
Ahem.

You don't shock a flatline. </pedant>

Thayet
Re: New WM Metaspell 10/24/2015 09:11 AM CDT
>You don't shock a flatline. </pedant>

You also don't call down lightning to smite your foes, raise the dead (literal, rotting, corpses), or teleport from point to point either.
Re: New WM Metaspell 10/24/2015 12:48 PM CDT
You made a specific reference to modern medicine which she was pointing out was incorrect. She's making a comment on the veracity of your example not the realism of DR.

Elanthipedia - https://elanthipedia.play.net/mediawiki/index.php/Main_Page
Epedia Admins - https://elanthipedia.play.net/mediawiki/index.php/Elanthipedia:Administrators
Re: New WM Metaspell 10/24/2015 12:59 PM CDT
>You made a specific reference to modern medicine which she was pointing out was incorrect. She's making a comment on the veracity of your example not the realism of DR.

It's an infinite rabbit hole of pointless stupidity. No one thought I was advocating that we rip out a 100kv line breaker and main line uncle Joe's rotting corpse with it. I used resurrect as a forshortened explanation of why his idea regarding electrical teleportation (which, incidentally, is ridiculously silly) didn't work, and simply used the common layman understanding of 'bring dead back to life use shock paddles clear' that you see in every 10 cent hospital drama to illustrate the point quite nicely.

Her 'correction' added nothing to the conversation. The world is not a better place because she felt the need to inform us 'you don't shock a flatline'. The topic at hand has not been explored more thoroughly or moved in interesting ways.
Re: New WM Metaspell 10/24/2015 01:01 PM CDT
People are funny when they don't want to admit that they were wrong.

Epedia Admins - https://elanthipedia.play.net/mediawiki/index.php/Elanthipedia:Administrators
Re: New WM Metaspell 10/24/2015 01:03 PM CDT
>People are funny when they don't want to admit that they were wrong.

Yes. That's exactly what happened here. Good job, you caught me.
Re: New WM Metaspell ::NUDGE:: 10/24/2015 01:09 PM CDT

Knock it off guys.

Annwyl
Message Board Supervisor

If you've questions or comments, take it to e-mail by writing me at DR-Annwyl@play.net.
Re: New WM Metaspell 10/24/2015 04:16 PM CDT
<<Original Post>>

Sorry to say, but that at least sounds like it would have some big advantages over MM teleportation, and also cuts into the functionality of JJ, both of which make it extremely unlikely. Beyond just stepping on the toes of other systems, it also isn't really consistent with DR's level of realism - which is to say, our characters can get up to some pretty weird stuff, but being teleported by a bolt of lightning falls a bit outside that usual realm. It's one thing to magic a fresh corpse back to (un)life or create a spacetime-bending portal, and quite another to (near as I can tell) zap oneself with a bolt of lightning that presumably disintegrates you rather than frying you, then zaps back down at some other point on the surface and sticks all your disintegrated bits back together, without killing you.
Re: New WM Metaspell 10/24/2015 04:26 PM CDT
>> without killing you.

So the spell should also kill you when you teleport. Every time.
Re: New WM Metaspell 10/24/2015 04:40 PM CDT
Keep in mind that the GMs have said that High Sorcery can break niche protection. Clerical teleportation and MM healing are the examples that were given, I believe. But I wouldn't expect it to ever be as straightforward and versatile as the original version.
Re: New WM Metaspell 10/24/2015 04:41 PM CDT
Let's talk about healing blue fire spells next! I miss that one.

Thayet
Re: New WM Metaspell 10/24/2015 04:51 PM CDT

That's true, sorcery breaks boundaries. I'm really curious as to what antinomic sorcery ends up looking like, even if my character is unlikely to ever use it.
Re: New WM Metaspell 10/24/2015 08:27 PM CDT

> Let's talk about healing blue fire spells next! I miss that one.

Wasn't there talk of a cauterize spell many years ago? I still think that one could work. You use fire to heal yourself. You take a vitality hit proportional with the wound healed, and it creates a scar.

Practically speaking, it probably wouldn't get much use outside of gathering explosions or maybe dealing with disease, but it's at least thematic.
Re: New WM Metaspell 10/24/2015 08:36 PM CDT
We only have teleologic sorcery to compare but TS ends up being more specifically tied to the confound rather than breaking out of any niches. Teleologic sorcery is more a distillation of moon mage magic vs doing anything outside of our wheelhouse. I think it's unlikely that we see future guild sorceries do much to change this.

I could see Feral Magic (if it ever mechanically exists) breaking boundaries like mm healing/cleric transportation but then you're risking death or dismemberment with every cast.

Vote:
http://www.topmudsites.com/vote-DragonRealms.html
Re: New WM Metaspell 10/24/2015 09:40 PM CDT
I want to ride the lightning.
Re: New WM Metaspell 10/24/2015 09:50 PM CDT
Teleologic Sorcery is getting a few new spells, one in particular to do with moonblades which the teaser specifically mentioned is something that is only happening because sorcery is letting it do something that moon mages would not normally be able to do. It remains to be seen how outside the box it actually ends up being, of course.

I don't think sorcery is carte blanche to completely do away with the boundaries set by guild lore and design, but rather a loosening of those boundaries to accommodate a little bit more while still remaining within the overall theme. WM teleportation is probably too far outside the box for it to exist even as a sorcery.

Re: New WM Metaspell 10/25/2015 02:36 AM CDT
>> Wasn't there talk of a cauterize spell many years ago? I still think that one could work. You use fire to heal yourself. You take a vitality hit proportional with the wound healed, and it creates a scar.

Yeah no.

Look at Necromancers for an example of what kinds of drawbacks you must deal with in order to justify getting your own (inferior!) healing spells.

Thayet
Re: New WM Metaspell 10/25/2015 10:22 AM CDT
>>Look at Necromancers for an example of what kinds of drawbacks you must deal with in order to justify getting your own (inferior!) healing spells.

That's not how it works at all, but given that a healing fire spell would probably be sorcery and the drawback to not healing right would be potentially exploding instead...

Uzmam! The Chairman will NOT be pleased to know you're trying to build outside of approved zones. I'd hate for you to be charged the taxes needed to have this place re-zoned. Head for the manor if you're feeling creative.
Re: New WM Metaspell 10/25/2015 01:43 PM CDT
Healing is so far outside of the WM wheelhouse that the notion that they would ever get it is laughable. The suggestion popped up for years though because of a throwaway line in a 20 year old in-game book. Teleportation isn't a new one either.

Guild sorceries may wander outside of the usual focus of the guild a bit (like teleology doing something with moonblades), but they do so in a way that is thematic and reinforces the overall flavor of the guild, they don't fly off on their own and do whatever they want. This is true of teleologic sorcery and I will be amazed if it isn't true of the other two.

Thayet
Re: New WM Metaspell 10/25/2015 02:05 PM CDT
No. I think the original poster is on to something. WMs do deserve a way to travel more efficiently. I would suggest something like traveling through elemental planes, but that seems a little to much like the Ways. But how is it your familiar travels? A familiar/summoning based transport would make perfect thematic sense. Would not necessarily be superior to MM travel, given you can contingency in addition to using the ways. The guild has been thinking too small for far too long. Blowing things up is a parlor trick. Jharlan himself makes it clear that elemental mages are the masters of shaping reality. Warrior Mages are elemental mages and summoners. We summon things. We deal in transporting things magically. It makes sense. Perhaps WMs don't teleport. But that doesn't mean there can't be other thematic solutions to the problem of sitting around waiting for boats/ferries/barges.
Re: New WM Metaspell 10/25/2015 02:10 PM CDT
You'd be far more likely to get a temporary familiar body swap ability or the ability to enter and leave an elemental plane at the same location than a long distance travel ability.

Re: New WM Metaspell 10/25/2015 02:20 PM CDT

> Guild sorceries may wander outside of the usual focus of the guild a bit (like teleology doing something with moonblades), but they do so in a way that is thematic and reinforces the overall flavor of the guild, they don't fly off on their own and do whatever they want. This is true of teleologic sorcery and I will be amazed if it isn't true of the other two.

Don't read into this that I actually expect healing to be a thing for WMs. I think it would be cool, but I'm sure I'm in the minority.

You did just inspire an idea of suicide bombing style familiars. Send them to find someone, and boom. Again, not likely, but it would fun to see.
Re: New WM Metaspell 10/25/2015 02:30 PM CDT
Yes, if you concern yourself with such pedestrian things as game balance. My entire argument is based on the idea that warrior mages are not bound by such limitations.

There are several issues I have with traveling through elemental planes. The first is that the characters are made out of multiple elements and thus traveling through say, the plane of earth where presumably only earth exists, would be problematic. The second is that there's no real indication that traveling through a plane would either be a shorter distance or a faster rate than traveling through the plane of abiding. I suspect it'd be more like a detour through a swamp than shortcut.

But warmages do create portals. We do stick our hands into a rift and pull out elemental weapons. Is this cannon or just a cool message? I don't know. Because I enjoy cool messaging, I won't attempt to use that as evidence for any particular understanding of how magic works in elanthia. But, I will reiterate that the guild has been conceived too narrowly. People say elemental and I believe, not exactly erroneously, think of the six elements -- earth, air, fire, water, electricity, aether -- when I've come to think of elemental more as fundamental.

Part of me really just wants to be able to type "FIGHT" and have the game scan my character and plop me into the appropriate hunting ground. I'd share that ability with all the guilds, even if it truly belongs to warmages.
Re: New WM Metaspell 10/25/2015 03:40 PM CDT
>I would suggest something like traveling through elemental planes

Armifer, or one of the high-up GMs right now, has basically said that the elemental planes are so far removed from the prime plane that traveling there would destroy any sanity you had as well as obliterate your physical body. The ways are a unique and special thing for reasons.
Re: New WM Metaspell 10/25/2015 04:14 PM CDT
Mountable familiars.
Re: New WM Metaspell 10/26/2015 08:14 AM CDT
>>There are several issues I have with traveling through elemental planes. The first is that the characters are made out of multiple elements and thus traveling through say, the plane of earth where presumably only earth exists, would be problematic. The second is that there's no real indication that traveling through a plane would either be a shorter distance or a faster rate than traveling through the plane of abiding. I suspect it'd be more like a detour through a swamp than shortcut.<<

>>But warmages do create portals. We do stick our hands into a rift and pull out elemental weapons. Is this cannon or just a cool message? I don't know. Because I enjoy cool messaging, I won't attempt to use that as evidence for any particular understanding of how magic works in elanthia. But, I will reiterate that the guild has been conceived too narrowly. People say elemental and I believe, not exactly erroneously, think of the six elements -- earth, air, fire, water, electricity, aether -- when I've come to think of elemental more as fundamental.<<

I would love to see more exploration of Summoning and the Elemental Planes. All the lore there is really neat.

There are probably more than six elements. The Lore implies that the procedures used to access the Plane of Electricity are taking mages to an entirely different metaphysical address than the ones that access the other planes. So there may be other elements "nearby" Electricity but undiscovered, for whatever value of "nearby" applies to things like Planes.

Planar travel would be problematic. In all the planes except Electricity there are no spatial dimensions, and concepts like fundamental physical forces don't exist. Anything going in should lose all the traits that make it, literally, a thing, and so theoretically should be impossible to get back out. If a thing did somehow come back there'd be no way to tell if it was the original not, because all the characteristics that made it THAT THING when it left the Plane of Abiding would have to be reassigned on the way back.

On the other hand, there seem to be things that could be thought of as creatures that inhabit some of the planes, for a given definition of inhabit (a definition that isn't very clear). So who knows! Maybe someone could invent a way to translate values between Abiding and an Elemental Plane so they're preserved through planar exploration.

From what I've read, Warrior Mages don't have a really good understanding of why something like summoning weapons works. You go at the Plane with the right metaphysical spin, velocity, etc, and out pops an icy broadsword. Why not other things? An icy ham-sandwhich? Actual ice? There's a ton of room for exploration of the really weird side of Warmaging that IMO would give the guild a lot of depth.

Mazrian
Re: New WM Metaspell 10/28/2015 12:08 PM CDT
WM healing :

HA, JOKE'S ON YOU, GANGRENE! FWOOMPH YOU CAN'T EAT MY ARM OFF IF IT HAS BEEN TURNED ENTIRELY TO ASH!

- Starlear, Warrior Mage and Lieutenant of Ilithi's Crystal Vanguard -
Re: New WM Metaspell 10/28/2015 12:10 PM CDT
>>HA, JOKE'S ON YOU, GANGRENE! FWOOMPH YOU CAN'T EAT MY ARM OFF IF IT HAS BEEN TURNED ENTIRELY TO ASH!<<

Iron-clad logic. Seems legit.

Mazrian
Re: New WM Metaspell 10/29/2015 01:06 AM CDT
A few points as they come to mind:

I've all but screamed I have plans to eventually let Warrior Mages travel to the Elemental Plane of Electricity.

The Astral Plane is special because Grazhir's "bilocation" status bleeds laws of the Plane of Abiding into it, like Taisgath bleeds Plane of Probability into the caverns below the island. A Grey Expanse death is, metaphysically speaking, just entering the "real" Astral Plane where no such bleed-off exists.

We're not expanding healing beyond Empaths and Necromancers at this time.

-Armifer
"Perinthia's astronomers are faced with a difficult choice. Either they must admit that all their calculations were wrong ... or else they must reveal that the order of the gods is reflected exactly in the city of monsters." - Italo Calvino
Re: New WM Metaspell 10/29/2015 02:51 PM CDT
>I've all but screamed I have plans to eventually let Warrior Mages travel to the Elemental Plane of Electricity.

So what you're saying is we shouldn't be shocked to see that sort of thing?

- Starlear, Warrior Mage and Lieutenant of Ilithi's Crystal Vanguard -
Re: New WM Metaspell 10/29/2015 03:30 PM CDT

> So what you're saying is we shouldn't be shocked to see that sort of thing?

Well, it was a shocking announcement for some of us, almost like a flash or bolt to the chest. Now that I've recovered, I think this idea is hot and electrifying. The real question is whether you'll need a grounding in the warrior mage spellbooks, or if this will be a new feature plugged into both elemental guilds. Will bards will be zapping to and fro as well? I can only imagine their fulmination if their spellbooks are to remain static.

It's going to be a jolt to the current moon mage utility too. They'll need to alternate their thinking, and there will definitely be some resistance to sharing. Then again, maybe not. I'd guess that the forums will be repeatedly struck with angry posts, but then it will die down and blow over.

That brings up a few more questions. Will this be a direct, one-way teleport? Will this be a caster only ability, or can others cling to the pathway generated by the caster? Will there be charges that build up over time? Can you travel to the same place twice, or is that dependent on random chance?
Re: New WM Metaspell 10/29/2015 03:52 PM CDT

Reading these puns hertz.
Re: New WM Metaspell 10/29/2015 03:55 PM CDT
The plan is that Warrior Mages will be able to teleport themselves + group to the plane and back again to the same room on Elanthia they started from. No Elanthia-side travel possible.

-Armifer
"Perinthia's astronomers are faced with a difficult choice. Either they must admit that all their calculations were wrong ... or else they must reveal that the order of the gods is reflected exactly in the city of monsters." - Italo Calvino
Re: New WM Metaspell 10/29/2015 04:19 PM CDT

> The plan is that Warrior Mages will be able to teleport themselves + group to the plane and back again to the same room on Elanthia they started from. No Elanthia-side travel possible.

That makes sense. So practically, how does this differ from fortress of ice? Or is it a thematic difference?
Re: New WM Metaspell 10/29/2015 04:41 PM CDT
>>That makes sense. So practically, how does this differ from fortress of ice? Or is it a thematic difference?

is the plane a private room or an entire zone?

Uzmam! The Chairman will NOT be pleased to know you're trying to build outside of approved zones. I'd hate for you to be charged the taxes needed to have this place re-zoned. Head for the manor if you're feeling creative.
Re: New WM Metaspell 10/29/2015 04:56 PM CDT
>>is the plane a private room or an entire zone?

My intention is to make a high-circle hunting area.

-Armifer
Re: New WM Metaspell 10/30/2015 03:50 AM CDT

Is that the area where you will introduce thundercats as a new high level creature?
Prev_page Previous 1