Suggestion: new quest/fest items 09/18/2015 11:20 AM CDT

I'm thinking about special, guild specific items. It's something worn on the body that registers when you do something guild related (healing for empaths, praying or communes for clerics, glyphing for paladins, barbarian maneuvers, etc...) It charges up slowly until it reaches peak power. Then it glows (change in look). You can rub it once a week (real-time week, resets each week whether you used it or not - maybe twice a month?). When rubbed, it goes crazy and turns you into a paragon of your guild for up to 5 minutes (skill/level/class resource dependent).

For simplicity, it affects you and only you. It gives you a massive buff, iconic, and makes you glow or appear as a paragon while active. It drains special sauce either when you use it (rapidly until 0). Power is dependent on your level and how full the icon was.

For example:

* Bards: Memory. Gain the ability to cast any spell in the game (skill dependent). Guaranteed not to backlash, but sorcery is still mandatory.

* Barbarians: Rage. the buffs of all berserks* and dances are in effect on you.

* Clerics: Blessing. Trigger (almost) all communes, including MFs. Truff gives you a favor. Eluned(1) and Glythtide do nothing. MF will not resurrect you (you're not dead) but it will heal your vitality and turn the room into a safe room.

* Empaths: Unity. They and everyone linked to them cannot die by any means. Including overhealing or destroying body parts.

* Moon Mage: Power. All prediction pools filled and stay full. Mana filled and stays full.

* Necromancer: Lichdom. Maximize corruption. The room you're in is maximum arcane. You can point at corpses to raise them (decent RT).

* Paladin: Salvation. Full heal, taunt effect on everything in the room, and you are immune to all damage and status effects while it lasts.

* Trader: Speed. You can immediately summon your caravan to you wherever you are. (likely change when they get an ability/spell rewrite. For now, lots of coin). All RTs reduced to 1.

* Ranger: Boon. 100% nature bonus. Massive stat boost across the board. Point at something to unleash a max prep swarm, bonds, and branch break, and have your companion bite them, for fun.

* Thief: Disguise. Imbued with 100% confidence, changes features (randomly), can't be arrested, all Khri's active, and all warrants gained while under this effect are dropped when the effect ends. Non-conventional justice still applies.

* Warrior Mage: Destruction. Upon activation, all mobs at melee with you is incinerated. Players thrown back and burned. All wounds cauterized. Gesture/cast at something to trigger a random blackfire or blackice effect: Burn off a limb. Set on fire. Cause them to explode. Cause them to set a nearby mob/player on fire. Freeze them in place. Cause them to shatter. Cause them to exude frostbyte to those around them. Shatter/melt weapons and armor (not on players).

Yes, this breaks all kinds of caps, but it's fun and rare. Bond the item, maybe make it take a lot of time to fill up, and maybe make it degrade slowly over time so you need to replace it eventually (whether it's used or not, no point in saving it forever).
Re: Suggestion: new quest/fest items 09/18/2015 11:55 AM CDT
It's actually cool to see some of this feedback. I had a twitter thread a week or so back about a similar topic.

Thanks for sharing.

---
NaOH+HI
Re: Suggestion: new quest/fest items 09/18/2015 02:39 PM CDT
>>Volcanue: I'm thinking about special, guild specific items. It's something worn on the body that registers when you do something guild related (healing for empaths, praying or communes for clerics, glyphing for paladins, barbarian maneuvers, etc...) It charges up slowly until it reaches peak power.

To make something like that work, the definition of "guild related" would have to be expanded for some guilds to put them on par with other guilds. For example, Paladins' glyphs are so niche that there is rarely any need to use them. (If you exclude my deaths, where auto-ward and auto-bond kick in, I might use a glyph once a week.)

Mr. Gorbachev, tear down this wall rank!

Vote for DragonRealms on Top MUD Sites: http://www.topmudsites.com/vote-DragonRealms.html
Re: Suggestion: new quest/fest items 09/18/2015 03:03 PM CDT

> To make something like that work, the definition of "guild related" would have to be expanded for some guilds to put them on par with other guilds. For example, Paladins' glyphs are so niche that there is rarely any need to use them. (If you exclude my deaths, where auto-ward and auto-bond kick in, I might use a glyph once a week.)

I see where you're going with this, and I agree on the useless vs useful ratio. Something like this would encourage the use of glyphs purely to charge up the icon in the same way that people do research purely to fill up experience pools. You could expand it once paladin abilities were released, and you could also argue that anything that touches the soul pool would also count towards the internal clock.
Re: Suggestion: new quest/fest items 09/18/2015 03:26 PM CDT
>>Volcanue: I see where you're going with this, and I agree on the useless vs useful ratio. Something like this would encourage the use of glyphs purely to charge up the icon in the same way that people do research purely to fill up experience pools. You could expand it once paladin abilities were released, and you could also argue that anything that touches the soul pool would also count towards the internal clock.

Currently, even if we expand it to "anything that touches the soul pool," it still wouldn't come near the frequency with which some other guilds have use for their abilities. Perhaps this situation will improve when Paladins get their guild-only skill and are given their new identity.

Mr. Gorbachev, tear down this wall rank!

Vote for DragonRealms on Top MUD Sites: http://www.topmudsites.com/vote-DragonRealms.html
Re: Suggestion: new quest/fest items 09/18/2015 04:18 PM CDT

I agree on all points, but I'm saying that you may be more likely to use your abilities if you have a reason to. A reason like this one.
Re: Suggestion: new quest/fest items 09/18/2015 05:09 PM CDT
Maybe "causes exp gain in guild-thematic" skill can be what triggers the meter.

I feel like some of the "boons" are a bit much but I really like the concept.

Uzmam! The Chairman will NOT be pleased to know you're trying to build outside of approved zones. I'd hate for you to be charged the taxes needed to have this place re-zoned. Head for the manor if you're feeling creative.
Re: Suggestion: new quest/fest items 09/18/2015 07:48 PM CDT
I'm against any long-term CD items. 1 week is far too long. I really really hope we move away from that for quest rewards. A lot of unique stuff gets coded and then placed behind a wall like this where almost no players would bother getting them. Unless they don't cost very much, which is the opposite of what usually happens.