New Guild 03/03/2015 06:21 AM CST
Is it likely that we will ever see another new guild in dragonrealms? The addition of the necromancers was great in both terms of lore and implementation I was just wondering if there are any current plans to keep expanding.
Re: New Guild 03/03/2015 07:08 AM CST
>Is it likely that we will ever see another new guild in dragonrealms? The addition of the necromancers was great in both terms of lore and implementation I was just wondering if there are any current plans to keep expanding.

The last time I heard anything about this, it was no; DR has enough difficulty developing 'stuff' for all the existing guilds, so adding more would make that worse.
Re: New Guild 03/03/2015 07:22 AM CST
When modern development began, it ultimately took three developers two years to produce the guild more-or-less from scratch.

Honestly, I sincerely doubt we would've done it if it hadn't already been promised.

-Armifer
"In our days truth is taken to result from the effacing of the living man behind the mathematical structures that think themselves out in him, rather than he be thinking them." - Emmanuel Levinas
Re: New Guild 03/03/2015 07:36 AM CST

But was it worth it, you are now DR immortal in a huge way.
Re: New Guild 03/03/2015 07:39 AM CST
I waffle back and forth on that with time. I'm happier with it when Abasha or I are working on getting new stuff out for it (the Igors stuff is very exciting to me, even though it is Abasha's project), I'm less happy when I'm tweaking in-town stuff for the fourth time.

-Armifer
"In our days truth is taken to result from the effacing of the living man behind the mathematical structures that think themselves out in him, rather than he be thinking them." - Emmanuel Levinas
Re: New Guild 03/03/2015 12:01 PM CST
As one of the higher circle Necromancers who plays them as a main, I have to say that looking back now I wonder if I still would have even made the choice I made to join the guild (even after the years of training necrocommoners). While the lore is amazing and I really love my character, it really feels the strain on the GM time and I think of all the work that has gone into it already and all that would need to be done and just feel bad for the situation. Guilds are such a central concept to Dragonrealms both IC and OOC that expanding upon the already diverse group would be difficult without stepping on other shoes. Since nothing seems drastically missing, I think fleshing out the current guilds really just enhances gameplay more than any new guild really could.

So to be honest, I kind of hope that there aren't any more Guilds just because the staff size seems so limited and difficult to deal with the ones that are already out. (Heck the GM application drove me insane when I looked at it because one of the answers requires you to conceptualize a guild that doesn't already exist.)
Re: New Guild 03/03/2015 02:00 PM CST
>I'm less happy when I'm tweaking in-town stuff for the fourth time.

Sounds like a lot of work for little net payoff. I say let the town Necros burn, I am way more interested in the lore, magic and risen. ;)

Elusive
mundus vult decipi, ergo decipiatur
Re: New Guild 03/03/2015 03:13 PM CST
In some conversations I've had, I've made a distinction between broad and deep development of guilds.

In DR, we by-and-large do deep development. A guild isn't ever considered complete, and additions to the guilds are always on the table. This will continue until the Guilds/Systems team collapses into a singularity due to excess mass.

In many other games you get broad development, where a profession or guild is considered complete and then you go on to the next guild.

If I had the benefit of hindsight I might have early on proposed a broad model of guild development, where we "tie off" the loose ends of each guild and then focus on introducing new ones. But that's not how we develop, and I don't foresee a major design philosophy change like that. Because of that, while I won't say it won't ever happen again, my best prediction is we won't see another guild like the Necro guild.

-Armifer
Re: New Guild 03/03/2015 04:38 PM CST
>>In DR, we by-and-large do deep development. A guild isn't ever considered complete, and additions to the guilds are always on the table. This will continue until the Guilds/Systems team collapses into a singularity due to excess mass.

>>In many other games you get broad development, where a profession or guild is considered complete and then you go on to the next guild.

So less "we're developing the monk guild" and more "we made some cool brawling moves for Barbarians with an unarmed expertise"

Uzmam! The Chairman will NOT be pleased to know you're trying to build outside of approved zones. I'd hate for you to be charged the taxes needed to have this place re-zoned. Head for the manor if you're feeling creative.
Re: New Guild 03/06/2015 02:08 PM CST

I want to thank you guys for your efforts on Necromancers, for whatever thats worth.

There's always room for kind of blurring between guilds (Moonies and Necromancers dabbling in 'things that should not be', etc., etc.), and I welcome it all, but I think Necromancers provided a unique opportunity to RP being wrong.