Counterfeiting (long post) 02/07/2015 11:21 AM CST
It's been thrown around a few times, but I'd like to bring it up again. One thing I'd love to see is a fairly in-depth counterfeiting system put into place within DragonRealms. Ideally, the creation of items using this ability would be shared between Traders and Thieves but could any guild could use the items. Obviously, the creation would be best done outside of a justice area, but could be done inside them with risks involved. Likewise, using the item at all would have risks associated with it.

The most basic risk I can think of would be a counterfeiting charge with the local government, which would carry with it fairly high-fines and/or physical punishment such as breaking/removal of your hands or facial scarring/branding. Any item created would have a shelf life associated with whatever skills the maker had when they created it, having it tied to a skill would mean that folks wouldn't have to find a high-circle player to obtain these items.

Some items that could potentially be counterfeited and what they could do:
- Therengian passports : Allow folks to travel through Havral without getting a real passport. (This could be coupled with making real passports from Ibec Hall cost money.)
- Citizen documents : Allow folks to use citizenship perks, such as shops and travel options.
- Guild documents : Allow folks to access guild-only shops and areas within the game. (Necromancers, Thieves, and Traders would be excluded from the list of available documents to make.)
- Title documents : Grant folks a temporary title until they log-out.

The reason Necromancers, Thieves, and Traders would be excluded is because one would believe that nobody would want to pretend to be a Necromancer, Thieves would recognize a fake document being that they can make them themselves, and Traders would have such complex documents and/or secretive methods of verification that they would be nigh impossible to reproduce.

Some risks to creating/using these documents:
- Wanted within the justice area you were caught in : Again, this could mean jail time or fines and in the case of some clans/areas could mean physical punishments such as thugging, removal of hands, flogging, scarring, branding, etc.
- Title set to "Counterfeiter" and unable to change for X amount of time : In this manner everyone would know who you are and what you did. Some fun RP could come of this for people who enjoy that sort of thing.
- Provincial/Area bans : You'd no longer be able to set foot in that area at all or risk punishments.
- Deportation : You could risk being sent off to some remote area like Hara'Jaal.

Some ways to tilt the risks to favoring you:
- Hiding your identity - Using items which cover your face like hoods, masks, and other such things.
- Traveling in a group - By being in a group with someone else who actually has valid documents, you can lower the risk of yours being noticed.
- Khri/Magic/Speculate/Etc. - Some abilities already within the game could influence your chances to succeed in using documents such as Khri Safe, Speculate Finesse, and probably others.
- Charisma - Higher Charisma could play a factor in your ability to succeed with impersonation of a valid document holder as well.

Anyways, that's my idea. I think it would be neat and give folks some new avenues to explore within the game.

Salute a drowned sailor? You ought to brush up on your protocol, Kasto.
Re: Counterfeiting (long post) 02/07/2015 11:35 AM CST

>- Title set to "Counterfeiter" and unable to change for X amount of time : In this manner everyone would know who you are and what you did. Some fun RP could come of this for people who enjoy that sort of thing.

Great idea, and I'd like to add to the title consequence pasted above: While wearing such title the person would be vulnerable to social outrage as well as any town guard treating you as wanted.

A step forward, with the new RECALL WARRANT, this could be something that could be added upon. Perhaps stating how many Counterfeits you have successfully made in each area and how many times you have been caught.
Re: Counterfeiting (long post) 02/07/2015 07:56 PM CST
I have to admit, when I first read this, I thought this would be a suggestion to counterfeit money/coin, which made my eyes go cross thinking about DR and it's economy.

But I love the suggestions. Frankly, players love titles. I find it difficult to find a play-style that doesn't like them, and having a temporary way of providing access to some titles you couldn't normally access seems like a grand idea. Then there's the fun for those people who like to play unsavory types.

A++

Nikpack
Re: Counterfeiting (long post) 02/07/2015 08:28 PM CST
>I find it difficult to find a play-style that doesn't like them, and having a temporary way of providing access to some titles you couldn't normally access seems like a grand idea

Yeah, it has a whole lot of options. Between snagging some nifty guild title, or maybe a whole slew of new titles could be thrown in there for use, or even some title that only NPCs can use. I mean the possibilities are vast.

Re: Counterfeiting (long post) 02/08/2015 07:08 PM CST
This is a really neat idea.

I think it would take a lot of work to implement, but I hate how every shop or guild guard can instantly determine your guild with 100% accuracy. There's tons of potential with this idea.
Re: Counterfeiting (long post) 02/08/2015 07:30 PM CST
>I think it would take a lot of work to implement

Yeah, probably. I mean it has ties to the title system, the justice system, the guild system, and the citizenship system. On top of that, it would need to actually be coded and have materials put out for use with it. But, despite all of that, like you said: "There's tons of potential with this idea." and I think it could add some nice RP to the game for the players who chose to participate in it or for those who want to fight against its use.

Re: Counterfeiting (long post) 02/09/2015 12:39 PM CST
>>The reason Necromancers, Thieves, and Traders would be excluded is because one would believe that nobody would want to pretend to be a Necromancer, Thieves would recognize a fake document being that they can make them themselves, and Traders would have such complex documents and/or secretive methods of verification that they would be nigh impossible to reproduce.

I like everything but this part.

I don't think Traders and Thieves should be immune to it, because I'm not a fan of flat out immunity.

While I agree that it is profoundly stupid to fake being a Necro, I'm fine with people making that amazingly dumb choice on their own.

Uzmam! The Chairman will NOT be pleased to know you're trying to build outside of approved zones. I'd hate for you to be charged the taxes needed to have this place re-zoned. Head for the manor if you're feeling creative.
Re: Counterfeiting (long post) 02/09/2015 01:48 PM CST
>immunity

The major problem I see with allowing folks to fake being Thieves and Necromancers is them using that to get into a guild-only location and then logging any and all names they see. Effectively outing any random Joe who happens to go into that room. If you give someone a chance to be able to do something like this, you can bet that there is someone out there who would.

Re: Counterfeiting (long post) 02/09/2015 02:16 PM CST
>>The major problem I see with allowing folks to fake being Thieves and Necromancers is them using that to get into a guild-only location and then logging any and all names they see. Effectively outing any random Joe who happens to go into that room. If you give someone a chance to be able to do something like this, you can bet that there is someone out there who would.

1) I like that kind of paranoia
2) If someone wanted to do this, there would be much easier ways to pull it off

Uzmam! The Chairman will NOT be pleased to know you're trying to build outside of approved zones. I'd hate for you to be charged the taxes needed to have this place re-zoned. Head for the manor if you're feeling creative.