Druid Guild 10/02/2012 04:52 AM CDT

The Guild id most like to see are The Druids. Heres my thoughts..

Without getting into their past, the Druids are an ancient but secret guild with unique magic that combines life, holy, lunar, and elemental. This 'good' sorcery was as feared as all others keeping the Druids to their secrets in the wilderness.

Druids hate anywhere that isnt wilderness, suffering it's effects even more than Rangers do as they cannot prepare any spell. The wilderness keeps them and a majority of the spells are defensive minded and plant and animal based. A spell list might include:

Beast Control: One can mentally control creatures of a given level.
Mana Manuver: One can alter the mana type in a room.
Entanglement: One can creat a growth of roots that will block a direction or an egress for a time.
Sluggish: One can cause an engaged opponent to recieve double roundtime for all actions for a time.
Bolster: One can cast at alchemy products and herbs to enhance their desired effects.
Bloodstop: One can cast at a bleeding wound and it will perma-tend.
Wood Wrought: one can harden a wooden weapon increasing its stats for a bit.
Quicksand: One can cause the ground to liquify beneath a target causing them to sink more with every action except PULL <name> which reverses the sinking with a long roundtime. Victems that go under have their dead body resurface.
Quickstone: One can liquify the ground beneath an enemy and then solidify causing their footwear to become stuck for a short bit. Victems can step out of footwear and leave them behind or wait. Barefoot victems, non-flying familiars, and mounts have to wait.

Druids are fond of alchemy making the best herbs as they dont use empaths for healing. They love animals and train it's lore extensivly. Druids dispise metal as Barbarians dispise magic. Another trait they share is the ability to meditate with a flame to obtain boosts and abilities or scry visions. Perhaps the Druids are the missing link between the mana using and the manaless guilds.

With sorcery becoming more prevalent and even talks of it being allowed, a Druid Guild with 'good' sorcery would balance the scales against the 'bad' sorcery of necromancy. It could easily be sewn into the history and present storyline.

Just a thought...

Re: Druid Guild 10/02/2012 07:24 AM CDT
Play a ranger, RP as a Druid? I say the not only because they actually have the title, but because it semi fits.

And because the chances of seeing another guild in DR are slightly lower than the chances I will suddenly erupt into a chiseled Adonis physique and sprout wings while Mila Kunis and that super cute chick from work best down my door to date me.

Adding nothing to the conversation since 1834.
Re: Druid Guild 10/07/2012 09:20 PM CDT
I've kind of been thinking lately that it would be a cool ranger ability to summon golems, earth spirits and things like that ala necro's zombies. Kind of druid like but no reason it couldn't be a ranger thing in DR, or maybe a sort of ranger path choice.
Re: Druid Guild 10/07/2012 09:29 PM CDT
>ranger ability to summon golems, earth spirits and things like that

I think you'd be better off asking for an ability to summon natural animals. Earth Spirits would almost certainly fall under Warrior Mage domain, and I'm not sure about golems. It might be an interesting cross over between enchanting and engineering.

Elemental Lord Opieus, Master Warrior Mage of Elanthia
"For a bunch of radical empiricists, the Philosophers' system relies on a whole lot of faith." ~Armifer
Re: Druid Guild 10/07/2012 09:47 PM CDT
>natural animals.

That works too. The funny thing though about your statement about earth spirits and golems and their relatedness to warrior mages was that it was about opposite of what occured to me in retrospect after I posted that. But I do agree that some may be in the realm of warrior mages but I think that it would be golems, magically powered constructs, they would be more warrior-magey and nature 'spirits' would be more life magic and therefore ranger oriented when I think about it. IE I could see a warrior mage spell that uses elemental magic to bring 'life' to earth, air, water, etc, where a ranger would use a spell to summon the 'life essence' avatar of some sort of natural thing, a forest, a river, etc.
Re: Druid Guild 10/07/2012 10:06 PM CDT
Argh shows how much I know about Rangers. Just did some research and discovered the Awaken Forest spell, which is already doing something like this. Sorry about that.
Re: Druid Guild 10/07/2012 10:13 PM CDT
My understanding of WM lore is that they don't really summon 'spirits', they summon entities from the elemental planes. So if he meant earth-golems like 'embodiment of elanthia's gaia' or similar nonsense they wouldn't need to conflict. And I think the last discussion I read had WM 'summons' pegged as more user-body-transformation. Like you voltron it up with the earth and become a sort of elemental plane avatar.

>Kind of druid like but no reason it couldn't be a ranger thing in DR,

I believe Necros are the premier 'pet class' in DR, so no other guild will have as many or as good pets. Design kinda changes and I'm not fully up on how DR3 effects that, so I could be wrong. But rangers I think typically get a mix of 'non magic' feats, like snipe, and other survival feats, and moderately powerful magic, since they're magic tert.

Adding nothing to the conversation since 1834.
Re: Druid Guild 10/07/2012 10:44 PM CDT
>'embodiment of elanthia's gaia

Pretty much. But if there is an 'embodiment of Elanthia's gaia' I don't think one player would be able to summon that. So not the avatar of the entirety of elanthia but of the surrounding environment. But I think awaken forest does this, albeitly somewhat mundanely, which I did not realize. When I think of golem I think 'inanimate object made animate through magic', which I do not know how to discern from construct at this point, but I could see how warrior mages could possibly infuse some element with some elemental mana and control it through some means or another. Which is why I rethought my earlier post. Just conjecture here though as I dont really know much about it and how it relates in elanthian lore.

My understanding is that rangers are hurting for useful abilities so maybe some sort of better pets would help that, but my understanding is based on hearsay so idk really.
Re: Druid Guild 10/07/2012 11:00 PM CDT
>earth spirits and golem

I was thinking of earth spirit kind of link the elementals that show up around the Warrior Mage guilds. The word 'spirit' is too ambiguous. Familiars are 'spirits', so the WM guild has a history of interacting with them. When you put the name of one of our elemental books in front of it, pretty confusing.

Golems, to me, aren't necessarily specific to any type of magic. Since they're just material magically enchanted, I felt they should fall under the enchanting skill if they were ever to exist.

Elemental Lord Opieus, Master Warrior Mage of Elanthia
"For a bunch of radical empiricists, the Philosophers' system relies on a whole lot of faith." ~Armifer
Re: Druid Guild 10/08/2012 01:56 AM CDT
golems in the original story, were summoned by the rabbi in prague to protect the community. The item used was a clay man. it was given "life" by using the 4-letter name of G-d <YHVH> imprinted onto its forehead. The story as it goes gives it sort of a "divine" origin - although in DR this sort of thing is pretty much the province of the necromancers - who do sort of an "anti-gods" thing to bring the mudmen to life. A golem would pretty much be the equivalent to a construct. <as opposed to the risen, or even zombie, which are more akin to the Frankenstein story - a monster made of various bodyparts from dead folks.

Ranger companions I would assert would be living, breathing animals - not creatures of clay or from the dead. Even the forest "spirits" in a way are living type critters.

/---
Oh and last one, DR at any given time has a population of weenies that will criticize at the drop of a hat, don't take things personally it happens to everyone.
Leucius