Beards 04/18/2003 08:15 PM CDT
This is sort of relevant to shifts. Now that beards are a shiftale feature, can we pleeeeeeease get them changed so that you don't lose them on depart? It makes no sense at all now. You don't lose your hair and become bald when you depart, prydaens don't lose their fur when they depart, and you keep your scars when you depart. I know Solomon said he would look into it but it seems like it got forgotten. Five separate shifts to get a beard back is a bit much.

-Laelia JS
Re: Beards 04/18/2003 10:09 PM CDT
<<Now that beards are a shiftale feature, can we pleeeeeeease get them changed so that you don't lose them on depart? It makes no sense at all now.>>

Exactly how did it make sense before?

Illcram the Evil Empath

Make me rich!
http://www.coalition.fairmount.nu
Re: Beards 04/19/2003 11:46 AM CDT
Because before you lost all your wounds and scars also. But now you get to keep all them nice scars. Beards shouldnt be taken away, its a travesty. Either they should stay after depart or removal of scars after depart should be reinstituted.

Askeggi
Re: Beards 06/06/2003 05:22 PM CDT
Maybe Hodierna just doesn't like facial hair.

Supreme Bunny Overlord Zairius
Re: Beards 06/06/2003 06:05 PM CDT

Heh, considering she's married to KERTIGEN? She'd have to develop some kind of tolerance for it.

Kinsmen, Steel, Stone.
www.stone-clan.com
Beards and Scar issue 08/03/2004 09:35 PM CDT
Well if on has a beard and dies, we loose that beard and are clean shavin.

Not cool, I like playing my dwarven, barbarian and he loves his beard. But it seems to me if we lose our beard due to being put into a NEW BODY. Why in the heck does one have scars at all. ITs a new body? not Used? Not left over... why can't we keep our beard which takes weeks to grow. We keep our tattoo why not beards.

One last question are there gems or beads <Jewelry we can braid into ones beard> thank you
Re: Beards and Scar issue 08/03/2004 09:47 PM CDT
There are no beard beads yet that I know of. No telling about the future, of course...

And I agree that it doesn't make a whole lot of sense to lose the beard but keep the scars.

I believe that a number of GMs are wrestling with the beard problem.

Ryeka

Sometimes the key to happiness is not assuming it is locked in the first place- Ziggy

A journey of a thousand SMILES begins with a single step- Ziggy
Re: Beards and Scar issue 08/04/2004 06:07 AM CDT

A long, long time ago, ...the vague IC reasoning we were given behind losing the beard was that upon departing we were entering a new body.

But then there was a change. Upon departing Hodierna was only healing up the bodies of the deceased up to their scars.

So, we asked..."Hey,...if our bodies are still carrying traces of wounds the old body used to have, how can it be a new body?"

And the GMs told us, in no uncertain terms, that our characters DO NOT get new bodies.

Basically, the new body thing was just a silly explanation which never made much sense to begin with.

The reason the beards leave? Because the way the coding is written all growth resets upon departing. If the hair on our heads was coded to grow, you'd wake up bald after departing too.

When we were finally told that we DEFINITELY did not get new bodies, we pointed out the discrepancy with beards, and Solomon himself said he would look into it. That was several years ago (three, I think), and nothing more came of it.

Yes, it would make a good number of people happy. Yes, it would create consistency in the system.

But it has nothing to do with combat or magic, and it isn't a bug which prevents people from training any skill. This makes it not very likely to be taken care of.

Until it is fixed, we can't get beard beads or anything of that nature, because currently any items that are ATTACHED to the beard would be lost upon departing. (This is what I had been told by a GM)

Really, since this isn't likely something that is going to be fixed anytime soon, I don't know why they just do this in the meantime...instead of holding THIS off too.

All beard ornamentation would simply be WORN. Since when we depart, all our things get put in a grave anyway..and we aren't wearing them when we come back, so there wouldn't be any reason for them to be "lost" anywhere.

There are plenty of hairties and barrettes sold in the jewelry stores which don't actually show up in the DESCRIPTION, so we don't HAVE to have it that way.

I mean, I understand that many people want to be able to have their "bejeweled axe beads" worn IN their actual beard description, but where beard ornamentation is going to get held off until beards no longer disappear upon departing...

It just seems silly to me to hold off the entire thing for this one fix which has been at the bottom of the To-Do pile since beards first came out.

Just so long as my character could have beard decoration SOMEWHERE in her description, that would make me happy, at least until this coding bug is sorted out.

~player of Syrath

Kinsmen, Steel, Stone.
http://www.geocities.com/staanstok

RL/IG Calendar 2004 http://www.geocities.com/staanstok/DRCalendar2004.htm
Beards, Death and You! 03/15/2006 05:08 PM CST
Hrm...guess I'll stick this here as it seems the best place as any.

Beards should no longer poof upon departure unless you have zero favors, in which case...you have more serious things to worry about.

This is live in Prime and Plat and will go live in TF at the end of the week.

-GM Obseden
"To everything there is a season, and a time to every purpose under heaven."
"Anything's possible. Especially since I'm rewriting the system."
Re: Beards, Death and You! 03/16/2006 11:56 AM CST
And of course this change is rolled in no less than 6 hours after I depart for the first time in weeks. :-P Thanks for the change, Obseden!
Re: Beards, Death and You! 03/16/2006 07:02 PM CST
Okay so a loooong time ago, the dwarves of stone clan were told that if/when beards could remain after death, things like beard jewlery could be possible maybe. Also things like if it is braided on log off it would remain still on log on. So is either of these two things, and maybe more in the works?

~Worrclan, Dwarf of the Realms-
Re: Beards, Death and You! 03/16/2006 09:11 PM CST
<<Okay so a loooong time ago, the dwarves of stone clan were told that if/when beards could remain after death, things like beard jewlery could be possible maybe. Also things like if it is braided on log off it would remain still on log on. So is either of these two things, and maybe more in the works?>>

That's a great idea. I agree, hopefully it is possible now.

- Simon

http://www.phiiskeep.homestead.com/Frontpage.html
Re: Beards, Death and You! 03/22/2006 09:42 PM CST
<<things like beard jewlery could be possible maybe.>>

I suggested something similiar to the ARRANGE HAIR verb, but just have it be ARRANGE BEARD. Give dwarves different options than the other races; either that or code something to be able to BRAID small items in your beard.

Be nice to braid goblin bones, gold/silver bands (not just rings, I'm thinking along the lines of cloth napkin holders IRL) in ya beard. Just a thought.

Regards,

Kalkomar Axebiter
Staan Grimis