Cornrows 06/19/2002 04:53 PM CDT
I've liked the hair arrangement options in general, except for one thing: There isn't a cornrow option! How could one implement dreadlocks, yet overlook a rudimentary facet of some people's lives, which is the glorious cornrow? I believe the advent of cornrows would nicely compliment the dreadlock option. If someone can have oiled spikes, why not cornrows?
Re: Cornrows 06/19/2002 11:01 PM CDT
no.

Back in history people HAD spikes (read Celts) and of course dreadlocks. I've never seen any reference in history towards cornrows which in my opinon is a modern invention.

Prankster Khakio
Re: Cornrows 06/19/2002 11:08 PM CDT
>Back in history people HAD spikes (read Celts) and of course dreadlocks.

And how did they get spikes? Whale blubbler!

~Lairis
Re: Cornrows 06/19/2002 11:42 PM CDT
>>And how did they get spikes? Whale blubbler!

There are spikes in whale blubber? <confused>

:P
Re: Cornrows 06/20/2002 08:48 AM CDT
> Back in history people HAD spikes (read Celts) and of course dreadlocks. I've never seen any reference in history towards cornrows which in my opinon is a modern invention.

Since when is this a historic game? I always thought it was a fantasy game.

<strolls off deep in contemplation>
Re: Cornrows 06/20/2002 01:31 PM CDT
>no.

>Back in history people HAD spikes (read Celts) and of course >dreadlocks. I've never seen any reference in history towards >cornrows which in my opinon is a modern invention.

>Prankster Khakio

heh, actually.. ancient Nubian civilizations were wearing cornrows.. probably long before celts put whale fat in their hair <g>

thank you, come again.

~Mek
Re: Cornrows 07/03/2002 01:08 PM CDT
~*Back in history people HAD spikes (read Celts) and of course dreadlocks. I've never seen any reference in history towards cornrows which in my opinon is a modern invention.*~

I'm sure they existed back then. I don't think you can definitively say that a certain hairstyle existed back then or not (save for very modern hairstyles). I'm sure African nations had it back then... which begs the question: Did people back in history have mohawks, as well? I'm thinking not.
Re: Cornrows 07/03/2002 01:09 PM CDT
~*heh, actually.. ancient Nubian civilizations were wearing cornrows.. probably long before celts put whale fat in their hair <g>*~

Well that kind of renders my previous post moot. Thanks.
Re: Cornrows 07/03/2002 01:27 PM CDT
<<Did people back in history have mohawks, as well? I'm thinking not. >>

History lesson 101:

The term MOHAWK comes from an indian tribe. If you have to ask what type of hairstyle did they sport....

Starkad
Re: Cornrows 07/03/2002 02:04 PM CDT
<<The term MOHAWK comes from an indian tribe. If you have to ask what type of hairstyle did they sport....>>

Was it a mullet?...

*runs away*
-Jeresis
Re: Cornrows 07/11/2002 02:33 PM CDT
>>>>Did people back in history have mohawks, as well? I'm thinking not.<<<<

Mohican Indians did if my history serves me correct.

possibly some other tribes as well,I'll have to ask my friend whos in Graduate school for Anthropology about that one :)

Izzit
Re: Cornrows 12/20/2002 05:07 PM CST
While they were not called "cornrows" in pre-American contact Europe/Asia/Africa, they were certainly a valid way to do hair. People have definately done their hair in various experimental ways since we had opposable thumbs.

Mohawks were used by various Native tribes in America, and in several other places around the work. Other semi-shaved hairstyles are also known to have been used, such as shaving temples only, shaving the center/middle line of the top of the head, and shaving the front part of the head, and one of the traditional Chinese hairstyles of leaving a single braid down the back with the rest of the head shaved.

Cornrows, in fact, have been argued about the Venus figures from Europe, who were carved with a basket-like hairdo, or a basket on their head. It's not known weather it's cornrow or a basket, although many anthropologists refer to it as a basket-hat. In any case, it is still a valid explanation and hairstyle, and many of those figures date back to the early European Neolithic.

As to DR being based on any historical period, I think it would be prudent to mention that there are many items floating about that hint at modern-day, and this may be a medieval-mud, but it is a fantasy-medieval mud, so there's a lot of room for flexibility within reason.

I know this was an old post, but I wanted to add in my comments. I'm all for new hairdos, even though I play my S'kra more often. :P