Elves and beards 06/17/2002 05:05 AM CDT
In all the fantasy literature that I have read, wich is quite a bit, as well as D&D, wich I used to love, elves have always been beautiful fair skinned creatures with no body hair. The only hair elves would have is their head hair and eyebrows, the rest of their fair skinned body is bald. Why is it that they can sport beards when all these stories state otherwise?
Now I realize Elanthia doesn't abide by the same rules as past role-playing games and fantasy books but it does 'borrow' many things. Dwarf women having beards for instance as you all have probably read in countless books. Why are elves different in Elanthia than from the ones in the stories that we all (at least I do) know and love? Seeing an elf carefully trim his mustache ruins my vision of this otherwise beautiful race IMHO.

:::Screams and runs for his life from the angry, bearded elven mob:::

-Artorius, the clean shaven elothean
Re: Elves and beards 06/17/2002 06:37 AM CDT
True, most elves have no facial hair other than the eyelashes and eyebrows. But I have read a number of tales where incredibly old elves do in fact grow beards.

Ryeka
Re: Elves and beards 06/17/2002 07:34 AM CDT
That's interesting, what books were these? I'll have to check them out sometime.
I could see a truly wise and ancient (say over a thousand years?) elf with a long, fine beard. Of course such age isn't possible for a player, but some truly ancient npc elves would be a nice touch. If this would be the case then elves could grow facial hair at an extremely slow pace. I have no clue how difficult this would be to code and it seems rather pointless to try considering once said elf departs he must grow his stubble all over again. I assume all or nothing is what we will get and though I may not agree with it I have to accept it.
I wasn't expecting it to be changed. I just wanted to know if I was alone and what anybody else thought on the matter.

-Artorius
Re: Elves and beards 06/17/2002 08:51 AM CDT
It's ridiculously wrong to me.

To rectify the situation, buy 2 gelfurjaal unguents. Shave. Apply the unguent. Then have an empath apply the second unguent. You'll not only never need to shave again, it will remove the beard messaging (e.g. clean shaven) entirely.
Re: Elves and beards 06/17/2002 09:00 AM CDT
Good idea. Now if only we could figure out a way to trick all the elves in Elanthia to do this the world would be saved!
Re: Elves and beards 06/17/2002 09:26 AM CDT
Where do you buy those and for how much? I constantly shave my stubble off to appear clean shaven at all times because I didn't think that elves had facial hair either, not having to ever again would be nice. Lemme know where ta get em an for how much, would ya?

-Teeklin Tessenoak, Proud Ranger of Elanthia
Re: Elves and beards 06/17/2002 09:29 AM CDT
>>That's interesting, what books were these? I'll have to check them out sometime.

Lord of the Rings- check out the descriptions of Cirdan. Also, for later fantasy, there are the books of the Elfquest series written by Richard and Wendy Pini. All are fascinating- my copies tend to be dog-eared.

Ryeka
Re: Elves and beards 06/17/2002 09:39 AM CDT
Damn, I read Lord of the Rings and I missed that. Guess I should have layed off on the drinking a little at the time. I'll definatly look into the Elfquest series, I'm always looking for good books to be read. Thanks.

-Artorius
Re: Elves and beards 06/17/2002 10:16 AM CDT
>>Where do you buy those and for how much?

Shard supplies store on Diamond Street. Head south from the north gate.

Cost is about three silver doks.
Re: Elves and beards 06/17/2002 11:25 AM CDT
You're very welcome, Reson! I'm always looking for people to share good stories with!

Ryeka
Re: Elves and beards 08/02/2002 02:01 AM CDT
Does that bit of having an empath apply it still work? I thought that was removed?