Re:High Sorcery Research 06/14/2017 10:46 PM CDT
Teleologic sorcery has a pretty negative history within the Moon Mage guild IC. I remember reading awhile back on the forums that Hylomorphic and Antinomic sorceries wouldn't necessarily have the same mechanical penalties and/or the same IC ramifications as teleologic sorcery. Obviously they're all illegal and scary to the ignorant peasants but are they as taboo to the scholars of the WM and Cleric guilds as teleogic is to the MM guild (not counting Tezirites)?
Re:High Sorcery Research 06/15/2017 12:37 AM CDT
>>Teleologic sorcery has a pretty negative history within the Moon Mage guild IC. I remember reading awhile back on the forums that Hylomorphic and Antinomic sorceries wouldn't necessarily have the same mechanical penalties and/or the same IC ramifications as teleologic sorcery. Obviously they're all illegal and scary to the ignorant peasants but are they as taboo to the scholars of the WM and Cleric guilds as teleogic is to the MM guild (not counting Tezirites)?

Internally, the Moon Mage Guild is the laxest of the three.

The Warrior Mage Guild has been squashing any sorcerous spark in their ranks with an iron fist for a long time. They've got Grovekeepers responsible for the task.

The Cleric Guild... is yet mostly ignorant of the matter because the gods have been silent, and so it's in lockstep with the provincial powers. Records of "sorcerer-priests" have always been attributable to nothing more than Low Sorcery, but there are fresh rumors surrounding an event in modern history known as the Misenseor Tragedy.

GM Grejuva
Re:High Sorcery Research 06/15/2017 04:07 AM CDT

For warrior mage.... instead of 7 water or 7 elec spells... could we also have a option for 7 sum total spells from those two elements?

Like maybe 3 of one and 4 of the orher?
Re:High Sorcery Research 06/15/2017 04:13 AM CDT
>>Like maybe 3 of one and 4 of the orher?

Yes, that will work. Poor wording on my part.

GM Grejuva
Re:High Sorcery Research 06/15/2017 06:45 AM CDT
To elaborate a bit more:

The Moon Mage Guild's stance on general sorcery is essentially "don't ask don't tell." They'll turn on you if you make a public mess, but are tolerant enough that they even consider the Sorcery skill a qualification for advancement (most guilds do not).

It can be slightly more complex. The Moon Mages are twigged out by some specific sorceries, in particular necromancy and its aura of death-of-the-stars, and some sects are obviously more historically grounded in sorcery than other sects.

Taken together, Grejuva is absolutely correct to characterize it as the laxest of the three guilds. The Warrior Mages have both a vehicle for squashing sorcerers and a bad history surrounding it, and nothing screams a tendency towards orthodoxy like the High Temple.

-Armifer
"Perinthia's astronomers are faced with a difficult choice. Either they must admit that all their calculations were wrong ... or else they must reveal that the order of the gods is reflected exactly in the city of monsters." - Italo Calvino
Re:High Sorcery Research 06/15/2017 08:01 AM CDT
These spells sound awesome, great job! I have a few questions.

* Saesordian Compass [SCO] (Moon Mage) enhances single-target TM. Requires SOD or TV, and SLS. - Does this stack with a TM focus and does it work with SLS?

* Aethrolysis (Warrior Mage) is a TM spell against extraplanar creatures. Requires 7 Electricity or Water spells. - Does this work on incorporeal undead?
Re:High Sorcery Research 06/15/2017 10:06 AM CDT
>Does this work on incorporeal undead?

It does.

You slap Voldag hard in the face with your hand, making a nice crisp smack!! That's going to leave a mark!
Re:High Sorcery Research 06/15/2017 10:12 AM CDT
It's a much cooler version of the originally planned Sun Lance spell (TM against non-corporeal).

-Armifer
"Perinthia's astronomers are faced with a difficult choice. Either they must admit that all their calculations were wrong ... or else they must reveal that the order of the gods is reflected exactly in the city of monsters." - Italo Calvino
Re:High Sorcery Research 06/15/2017 11:47 AM CDT
>>Does this stack with a TM focus and does it work with SLS?

It does something different from the TM focus. And there's a reason SLS is a prereq. ;)

GM Grejuva
Re:High Sorcery Research 06/15/2017 11:55 AM CDT
>>The Warrior Mages have both a vehicle for squashing sorcerers and a bad history surrounding it, and nothing screams a tendency towards orthodoxy like the High Temple.

Is this something we're going to see play out in game?
Re:High Sorcery Research 06/18/2017 10:09 AM CDT
I absolutely love that virtually every magic prime has full steamed ahead down this path.

Out of curiosity, is the act of doing the research on par with using the spell in terms of mucking things up? Or is this a bit like low sorcery, where it's, to use Armifers analogy, akin to running your car on moonshine, where no one really cares until your car explodes?
Re:High Sorcery Research 06/18/2017 11:35 AM CDT
>>I absolutely love that virtually every magic prime has full steamed ahead down this path.

Well, most people have been just doing the innocuous first topic. I don't know if that's because they're only interested in the skill training part or they aren't doing it right, but only a handful of people are making progress on the high sorcery topics.

>>Out of curiosity, is the act of doing the research on par with using the spell in terms of mucking things up? Or is this a bit like low sorcery, where it's, to use Armifers analogy, akin to running your car on moonshine, where no one really cares until your car explodes?

I'm going to say the latter. There's some experimentation involved (hence the backlashes), but it's mostly theoretical work. This is also why the Tezirites get a nod: they have a history of knowing sorcery without necessarily resorting to its use.

GM Grejuva
Re:High Sorcery Research 06/18/2017 12:04 PM CDT

Aren't doing it right?
Re:High Sorcery Research 06/18/2017 12:17 PM CDT
If you are only researching your new option it isn't working toward the new spells. You only have to do that once.

Vague hint.. After that research what you are trying to learn and it might change things that you can see to research.

You slap Voldag hard in the face with your hand, making a nice crisp smack!! That's going to leave a mark!
Re:High Sorcery Research 06/20/2017 08:09 PM CDT
We've got the basic gist of teleologic sorcery documented but the lore of antinomic sorcery is lean and hylomorphic sorcery lore is out of date (blackfire!). Are these lores something that's PAFO; to be gleaned from the research messaging and future development? Or is there an official lore description we could get for antinomic and hylomorphic sorceries in the interest of documentation?

https://elanthipedia.play.net/Category:Antinomic_Sorcery_spellbook

https://elanthipedia.play.net/Category:Hylomorphic_Sorcery_spellbook

https://elanthipedia.play.net/Category:Teleologic_Sorcery_spellbook
Re:High Sorcery Research 06/27/2017 07:14 AM CDT

I thought the only way to lose a memorized spell is thru death, I thought the 'lack of mana' avenue was gone?

Breakthrough!
You are still uncertain whether your find is a true element more rarefied than aether, or an elemental mirage caused by overstrain, or something inbetween. It is there and, you believe, soon yours to harness.
The pattern you were experimenting with wrenches itself out of your control! The half-formed spell pattern discharges its energies wildly.
The spell pattern resists the influx of unstable mana overloading your arcane senses and rendering you magically inert.
The Innocence spell flees your mind.

This rendered me 0 mana, hench my questioning.
Re:High Sorcery Research 06/27/2017 07:17 AM CDT
Elanthipedia: https://elanthipedia.play.net/Sorcery#Backlash_effects

Lists the effects of that backlash as: "Temporary Inability to sense mana or cast spells with loss of memorized scrolls"

I'd assume the scroll loss is baked into that particular backlash and not specifically tied to dropping to 0 mana.
Re:High Sorcery Research 06/27/2017 07:19 AM CDT

Ok misread that, didnt see the loss part, I only read 'inability to cast spells of memorized scrolls" didnt see the 'with loss'. My bust.
Re:High Sorcery Research 06/27/2017 11:21 AM CDT
Can't stand that backlash. I don't bother with researching sorcery, outside of getting the new High Sorcery spell, because it backlashes WAY more than normal casting. Now that I have the new spell I won't bother with it again unless they release a new spell.

Re:High Sorcery Research 06/28/2017 11:21 PM CDT
That backlash turns off basically every magic system feature for you, the only thing you don't lose is your non-scroll spells -- your harness level isn't just 0, you don't even have a harness pool for the time being.

It's actually pretty neat.

"Warrior Mages don't bother covering up their disasters.
They're proud of them." -Raesh, on history
Re:High Sorcery Research 06/29/2017 11:15 AM CDT

Is there any documentation / lore on what Hylomorphic Corruption? What happens to someone? How long does it last? What generates it? Got a 'friend' asking about it....
Re:High Sorcery Research 06/29/2017 11:28 AM CDT
Hylomorphic corruption is essentially a form of magical radiation poisoning. It's unique compared to the other two forms of corruption, in that it ramps up and down quite quickly and brutalizes the magician physically rather than screwing with their supernatural state.

It's quite short lived compared to Teleologic and Antinomic corruption, but also can be an imminent threat to life.

-Armifer
Re:High Sorcery Research 06/29/2017 11:52 AM CDT
Thank You. Makes sense what happened to my 'friend'... Just unclear if it was just from casting or their backfires... assuming moreso the casting then backfires.
Re:High Sorcery Research 06/29/2017 12:05 PM CDT
It's from casting.

-Armifer
Re:High Sorcery Research 06/30/2017 09:44 PM CDT
This is charming! I may have to compromise my character's principles for this.

I really like how the new corruptions aren't just reskins but weird new mechanics. Very nice work in theme and implementation.

"Warrior Mages don't bother covering up their disasters.
They're proud of them." -Raesh, on history
Re:High Sorcery Research 08/22/2017 11:12 AM CDT

Sorry for the necro, but are there any plans or interest in incorporating this new spell into an infusion for elemental weapons?
Re:High Sorcery Research 08/22/2017 11:43 AM CDT
>>Sorry for the necro, but are there any plans or interest in incorporating this new spell into an infusion for elemental weapons?

If you mean something like a bless, nope. The currently approved hylomorphic spells are all different effects.

I could see Aethrolysis working with Barrage, but that ability is in need of its own review.

GM Grejuva
Re:High Sorcery Research 08/22/2017 01:46 PM CDT

> If you mean something like a bless, nope. The currently approved hylomorphic spells are all different effects.

So a hylomorphic infusion is off the table? I get it it, but that's too bad :/
Re:High Sorcery Research 08/22/2017 01:57 PM CDT
>>So a hylomorphic infusion is off the table? I get it it, but that's too bad :/

If it helps any, you asked if the particular spell would be incorporated into the infusion system, not if there wouldn't be any hylomorphic metaspell that interacted with summoned elemental weapons.

Just spitballing, but it would be neat if someone with knowledge of hylomorphic metaspell X could circumvent some (all?) of the material costs of summoning elemental weapons (metal not having to be as rare, or there not being any kind of metal degradation when summoning) at the cost of a pulsing spirit drain (which fits with the current theme of hylomorphic damage, at least).

Uzmam! The Chairman will NOT be pleased to know you're trying to build outside of approved zones. I'd hate for you to be charged the taxes needed to have this place re-zoned. Head for the manor if you're feeling creative.
Re:High Sorcery Research 08/22/2017 02:14 PM CDT
>>So a hylomorphic infusion is off the table?

No, just 'Aethrolytic Infusions' is. A different hylomorphic effect for tampering with (your and others') elemental weapons could happen.

GM Grejuva