Re: Magic 3.2 update 08/02/2016 04:12 PM CDT

>Eh, I wouldn't necessarily come to this conclusion by default.

I would. I'd presume it meant that people felt it was a requirement for function. Admittedly, MUs have slots to spare, so to some extent it might simply be a matter of 'picking stuff to make things better', but I wager than any class that use cyclics (which is... just about all MUs) also picks up Raw Channeling, and would infer from that that Cyclics are basically non-functional without it. If everyone is picking it up, I'd consider eliminating it as a Feat, making it the default way everyone operates.
Re: Magic 3.2 update 08/02/2016 04:41 PM CDT
>I would. I'd presume it meant that people felt it was a requirement for function. Admittedly, MUs have slots to spare, so to some extent it might simply be a matter of 'picking stuff to make things better', but I wager than any class that use cyclics (which is... just about all MUs) also picks up Raw Channeling, and would infer from that that Cyclics are basically non-functional without it. If everyone is picking it up, I'd consider eliminating it as a Feat, making it the default way everyone operates.

I'd go further to the conclusion that you're basically non-functional without a cyclic up.

Re: Life mana Spell preps

You raise your hands in the air. You wave them like you just don't care. Somebody says, "Hey!" Somebody says, "Ho!" Somebody screams.
Re: Magic 3.2 update 08/02/2016 05:01 PM CDT
Without Raw Channeling, most cyclics are honestly just not worth it because using them would mean forgoing the rest of your casting in most situations.

Mazrian
Re: Magic 3.2 update 08/02/2016 05:13 PM CDT
>>I'm 99% sure the question was simply if the GMs are able to survey which feats players have chosen similar to how they can pull up stats on race and guild. E.g. 50% of all players know Deep Attunement, 2% of all players know Warding Mastery, etc.

As far as I know we don't currently have a utility for that... and I can kind of understand why. Given how we'd have to pull the data I could see it potentially causing a lag spike when we execute it. Of course, it could also be that we just haven't bothered to write the utility to do that yet.

>>Yes, the intent being if 100% of people have Raw Channeling, it's not really a feat that is a 'choice', but rather a requirement.

I don't need this tool to know that Raw Channeling is far too mandatory and overpowered. But that gets into a lot of the messy things about cyclics in general. (Hint: I'm not a fan of how cyclics work if you've all missed the numerous hints I've dropped over the years.)

>>I would hang up my bard right now if it was removed.

Well, yeah, Bards would be crippled without it. I'll also go on record saying that a big part of the problem of the Bard guild is how many cyclics they have - we made it their "thing" but it's a terrible thing to focus on because the more cyclis you have the less value each individual one has and quite a few of the cyclics for Bards are cyclic for the sake of... being cyclics? They aren't doing anything that particularly wants to be a cyclic spell.

-Raesh

"It was wise enough to know itself, and brave enough to BE itself, and wild enough to change itself while somehow staying altogether true." ― The Slow Regard of Silent Things
Re: Magic 3.2 update 08/02/2016 05:24 PM CDT
>>I would. I'd presume it meant that people felt it was a requirement for function.

People feeling "I need this to function" doesn't mean it's a functionality that should exist by default.

It could also mean it is overpowered (so less an issue of necessarily to function, more an issue of it doing its job too well so people feel dumb if they don't have it), or players viewing the lack of a bonus as a penalty (see: using non-masterful crafting tools), a mix of all the previously mentioned reasons, or even more.

Uzmam! The Chairman will NOT be pleased to know you're trying to build outside of approved zones. I'd hate for you to be charged the taxes needed to have this place re-zoned. Head for the manor if you're feeling creative.
Re: Magic 3.2 update 08/02/2016 07:43 PM CDT
>>I'd go further to the conclusion that you're basically non-functional without a cyclic up.

I'd say that varies more by guild. I rarely notice mine being up or not, and only use Holy Warrior because the random kick back stun amuses rather then any need for it.

Samsaren
Re: Magic 3.2 update 08/02/2016 08:18 PM CDT

> Well, yeah, Bards would be crippled without it. I'll also go on record saying that a big part of the problem of the Bard guild is how many cyclics they have - we made it their "thing" but it's a terrible thing to focus on because the more cyclis you have the less value each individual one has and quite a few of the cyclics for Bards are cyclic for the sake of... being cyclics? They aren't doing anything that particularly wants to be a cyclic spell.

Originally, they did have value. It made sense. Music, always on, doing something cool. In exchange, they were insanely powerful and fun to switch around. I think a lot of original bards liked that part of the guild. I agree that they're mostly around simply for flavor, but I worry about the nerfs that would come in if you had to remove them.
Re: Magic 3.2 update 08/02/2016 08:34 PM CDT
2.1 Enchantes =/= 3.x Cyclics in any meaningful mechanical sense.

-Raesh

"It was wise enough to know itself, and brave enough to BE itself, and wild enough to change itself while somehow staying altogether true." ― The Slow Regard of Silent Things
Re: Magic 3.2 update 08/02/2016 11:15 PM CDT

> 2.1 Enchantes =/= 3.x Cyclics in any meaningful mechanical sense.

I didn't mean to imply they were, only that they were nerfed to fit the new paradigm. If bards could have even more abilities up, I worry that they would be further watered down.
Re: Magic 3.2 update 08/03/2016 08:40 AM CDT
>>If bards could have even more abilities up, I worry that they would be further watered down.

That's not how 3.0 magic works and explicitly why making Bards the "cyclic" guild is a bit of a problem for them. Giving them additional cyclics, while follow the same rules and regulations as all other cyclics, means the other cyclics just have one more competitor, as opposed to everyone else with direct-casting spells being able to layer on one after another.

In other words, cyclics as a concept work best when there are very few options for Guild X to use.

Uzmam! The Chairman will NOT be pleased to know you're trying to build outside of approved zones. I'd hate for you to be charged the taxes needed to have this place re-zoned. Head for the manor if you're feeling creative.
Re: Magic 3.2 update 08/03/2016 09:16 AM CDT

Personally, I like the idea of each guild having a couple (3? 4?) cyclics to choose from, to make an actual choice. Bards took this way to far, and have a bunch of redundant cyclics, while most guilds didn't go anywhere with this and there's no reason to not have your one combat cyclic up. Clerics I think are a good example of this - GhS vs HYH-Male/CoZ is an actual choice that a Cleric should make regarding cyclic use. Warmies see this choice as well with MoF vs AeG. But yes, I agree that cyclics in general are kind of borked, and it's a shame that in most cases they're just used as trainers (GJ? Rezz?). Additionally, the way Debil or TM cyclics work, the training just pours on in, they're passive combat edges or damage sources, and are by in large far too 'fire and forget'.

I'm all for guild defining cyclics being a thing - Regen and Rezz and Moongate and Fire Rain all come to mind as 'awesome cyclic abilities that make the guild feel awesome', and hope to see more stuff like that, I suppose.

But yeah, Raw Channeling being used by 100% of MUs is an indication not that the feat is OP, but that cyclics without it are useless.
Re: Magic 3.2 update 08/03/2016 09:17 AM CDT

Maybe TM and Debil cyclics should eventually peter out and no longer 'do their thing' unless you INFUSE them? It seems a shame only Clerics can INFUSE stuff, and this would make cyclics more interactive.
Re: Magic 3.2 update 08/03/2016 09:29 AM CDT

@Tev: I think it's all academic until something is actually proposed. I'm willing to shelf this until then. I hope you're right, but it may never be a problem so there's no reason to argue about it now.

> I'm all for guild defining cyclics being a thing - Regen and Rezz and Moongate and Fire Rain all come to mind as 'awesome cyclic abilities that make the guild feel awesome', and hope to see more stuff like that, I suppose.

My thoughts:

* Empaths do have combat choices - which is ironic. Defensive with AD or GS or Regen, or offensive with GS. Based on conversations in the empath forums, they won't get many offensive weapons (although I would love a "life bless" or something similar that they could use. Holy Warrior, but using life magic to heal the undead to life in a non-a-zombie way).
* Warrior mage cyclics are (in my opinion) in a good place. You can pick your engagement level and type of damage. I would love to see secondary components added to them for more cleric like choices, but I think they're still good.
* Now, I absolutely agree with you on moon mages. I think they should get another cyclic or two. Maybe one that pushes their self-predictions outward to everything in the room (cast options available) by linking fates. That would let them use it offensively (intentionally nerfing their own stave skill to reduce OF power), or defensively (buffing shield skills of everyone in the room when they predict on their own), or as utility (buffing their own scholarship to give everyone in the ranger's room a boost).
Re: Magic 3.2 update 08/03/2016 09:59 AM CDT
>>Maybe TM and Debil cyclics should eventually peter out and no longer 'do their thing' unless you INFUSE them?

I'm not sure how this is different than how cyclic magic works as a whole, especially when you don't factor in the raw channeling feat.

Re: Magic 3.2 update 08/03/2016 01:18 PM CDT

>Empaths do have combat choices

I know! And I think generally that's cool! Though Regen is so much better than AD for defensive maintenance perhaps it's not a great choice, but yeah, the choice between GS and AD/Regen is a solid combat choice Empaths need to make! I definitely drop GS after TM/Skinning are locked and put up AD to let me backtrain some armors.

>Warrior mage cyclics are (in my opinion) in a good place.

I agree, but not for the reason you listed - FR/RoS/Rimefang are choices along spellbook paths. The combat choice is AC vs FR/RoS/Rimefang vs EE. I think Warmies are actually the best example of this choice being done well, ish. Bards are another great example - PYRE/ABAN vs DALU/AEWO.

>Tev:I'm not sure how this is different than how cyclic magic works as a whole, especially when you don't factor in the raw channeling feat.

I don't mean to be pedantic, but I'm not sure what's unclear - presently, PREP FR, CAST will put up FR as long as its got mana, and spit fire at all engaged. Raw Channeling lets you draw from Attunement. If you don't have Raw Channeling, you need to keep mana harnessed or a cambrinth with sufficient mana.

What I'm suggesting is eventually the pattern 'loses its energy' and requires you invest some mana into it, somewhat like how OM operates. The idea being that while maintenance of the spell pattern requires mana, so too does the spell patterns energy reserves. It being a cyclic means it takes an amount of mana to maintain the pattern, and that mana also dictates how powerful each pulse is, but I think it might be a neat addition if periodically the pattern needed to be interacted with to keep it 'doing things'. This interaction might be somewhat similar to what a cyclic would look like without raw channeling, sure - just spitballing.
Re: Magic 3.2 update 08/03/2016 01:32 PM CDT
>>What I'm suggesting is eventually the pattern 'loses its energy' and requires you invest some mana into it, somewhat like how OM operates. The idea being that while maintenance of the spell pattern requires mana, so too does the spell patterns energy reserves.

I'm still not seeing how this is different than cyclics doing what they do. They die off unless you put mana into it. All you're asking for is to make people put more mana into them. At that point just increase the min prep.

If you're asking for it to literally work like infusions, I don't think "every so often type INFUSE 10" is going to do much than add a genie trigger.

Infuse/OM is atypical because of more than just the infuse part itself, with OM resembling drawing from charged camb and/or raw channeling itself, and infuse being the way to keep it going.

Re: Magic 3.2 update 08/03/2016 01:34 PM CDT
Cyclics (especially for bards) would be far more interesting designed as metaspell branch choices. Say for instance you have...1 offensive cyclic as a bard. Unlocking it would be 1 slot and give something like +melee weapons. Then a metaspell could unlock haste for 2 slots, then another for ranged weapons for a slot, then another slot for TM, etc. You would end up combining several functions that other guilds end up layering anyway, but can circle/slot gate them as metaspells.
Re: Magic 3.2 update 08/03/2016 01:53 PM CDT
Make Raw Channeling take only a percentage of the mana from your attunement (like 70%). This makes cyclics less start and forget because you still need to harness/charge cambrinth to keep them up, but the cost is greatly reduced. It would also make TM/Debil cyclics take more effort to keep going in combat so they aren't just a free stream of damage. It would also have the added benefit of making large capacity cambrinth, and Arcana ranks (quicker charging), more valuable.
Re: Magic 3.2 update 08/03/2016 02:41 PM CDT

> I know! And I think generally that's cool! Though Regen is so much better than AD for defensive maintenance perhaps it's not a great choice, but yeah, the choice between GS and AD/Regen is a solid combat choice Empaths need to make! I definitely drop GS after TM/Skinning are locked and put up AD to let me backtrain some armors.

I would love for a secondary utility to let empaths embrace their support role, since this seems to be their direction.

Maybe an AOE equivalent for crafting. Rather than buffing a skill, it reduces crafting RT by a flat amount for every action, to a minimum of 1, and improves crafting luck by a small amount with enough mana.

Another option could be creating a slowly building vitality shield by draining your own vitality (or none with PoP). It flows out from you with each pulse and builds up around everyone around you. It caps at 10% of the recipient's vitality, lasts an hour after the last pulse, and trains empathy. New esoteric level spell, but it requires caution as it drains more vitality based on the number of people it affects. Of course, that teaches better.
Re: Magic 3.2 update 08/03/2016 06:32 PM CDT
This is all just reminding me of something I meant to do a year or two ago.

-Raesh

Re: Magic 3.2 update 08/03/2016 09:05 PM CDT

>I would love for a secondary utility to let empaths embrace their support role, since this seems to be their direction.

Sure, but 'support roles' in this game are very tenuous, given how everyone can solo. This isn't GS where in order to successfully hunt at level, people need to ask for Blurs/Colors/Guards. No one, ever, anywhere, is unable to do something because they didn't get a Warmie to cast SW. The ONLY spell I've EVER heard people ask for is Bless or PFE, and that's typically for funsies trying a non-corporeal or getting into the underswamp.

>Of course, that teaches better.

This is a strange position to take on anything, given that 'locking skills' is not difficult to do.

>Tev:Infuse/OM is atypical because of more than just the infuse part itself, with OM resembling drawing from charged camb and/or raw channeling itself, and infuse being the way to keep it going.

Huh? No, it doesn't - REZZ for example is just a cyclic that operates exactly as I indicated. You cast it, and HARN/INFUSE until you've reached a certain point. With enough skill, you can skin the HARN step. The cool thing here is that it requires player interaction, and is NOT fire and forget. The fun thing that making more cyclics like this would accomplish is mean that A ) cyclics now have some RT/involvement with them after casting, and B ) you still have the forced choice of cyclics. I don't propose this to suggest they'd suddenly be non-automatable, but rather, another requirement on them. Yes, they would take more mana. That would be a good thing, overall.

>Cyclics (especially for bards) would be far more interesting designed as metaspell branch choices. Say for instance you have...1 offensive cyclic as a bard. Unlocking it would be 1 slot and give something like +melee weapons. Then a metaspell could unlock haste for 2 slots, then another for ranged weapons for a slot, then another slot for TM, etc. You would end up combining several functions that other guilds end up layering anyway, but can circle/slot gate them as metaspells.

For Bards, I think this idea would be so cool, modular cyclics.
Re: Magic 3.2 update 08/03/2016 10:26 PM CDT
<<REZZ for example is just a cyclic that operates exactly as I indicated. You cast it, and HARN/INFUSE until you've reached a certain point. With enough skill, you can skin the HARN step. The cool thing here is that it requires player interaction, and is NOT fire and forget.

For what it's worth, this was changed a few days ago in light of the new Regen model, and while I haven't played with the new change yet I think it automatically builds up infusion in the passive pulses now or something similar.

Elanthipedia - https://elanthipedia.play.net/mediawiki/index.php/Main_Page
Epedia Admins - https://elanthipedia.play.net/mediawiki/index.php/Elanthipedia:Administrators
Re: Magic 3.2 update 08/04/2016 07:16 AM CDT

>>For what it's worth, this was changed a few days ago in light of the new Regen model, and while I haven't played with the new change yet I think it automatically builds up infusion in the passive pulses now or something similar.

You're correct, this has been changed to now have the passive mana pulses from the cyclic act as an infuse for soul searching in addition to the regular infuses. This, however, was because it became such a mana intensive feat--even for myself with 1100+ attunement--so much so that younger clerics were having an extremely difficult if not impossible to resurrect. Now that the cyclic pulses generate searches there is not "lost" mana where as before when the cyclic would pulse that mana would just be wasted and lost without any additional benefit to the process.
Re: Magic 3.2 update 08/04/2016 07:51 AM CDT
Yeah, which is exactly the point I was making. It's now as close to a set and forget ability as it can be, so it's not really useful as an example in the previous poster's argument any more. The only thing it currently requires in addition to simply running it is the gesture to complete the ressurection, and possibly either a single manual infusion or manually infusing a minimum of the amount you prepped it at.

I tested it after getting home from work and was able to rezz someone by just letting a 10 mana cast just run on it's own, only manually infusing it with 5 mana twice. I wasn't patient enough to see if I could infuse enough to find the person just by letting it run without any manual infusion, or to test if it was specifically a requirement to manually infuse the amount I cast it at in some combination as a bare minimum. 5+5=10 in my case.

Epedia Admins - https://elanthipedia.play.net/mediawiki/index.php/Elanthipedia:Administrators
Re: Magic 3.2 update 08/04/2016 08:34 AM CDT

> I tested it after getting home from work and was able to rezz someone by just letting a 10 mana cast just run on it's own, only manually infusing it with 5 mana twice. I wasn't patient enough to see if I could infuse enough to find the person just by letting it run without any manual infusion, or to test if it was specifically a requirement to manually infuse the amount I cast it at in some combination as a bare minimum. 5+5=10 in my case.

I think there are a lot of variables involved here, but I personally wouldn't be arguing towards making an ability more difficult to use. The cleric already has to stop what they're doing, find the corpse, rejuve the corpse, bond the corpse, and then res the corpse. If they're really nice, they'll throw in a vigil and auspice in there. The entire process should be looked at cohesively rather than just the difficulty of the last step.
Re: Magic 3.2 update 08/04/2016 05:59 PM CDT
<<but I personally wouldn't be arguing towards making an ability more difficult to use.

Huh? What are you even talking about?

Re: Magic 3.2 update 08/04/2016 06:08 PM CDT
>>You cast it, and HARN/INFUSE until you've reached a certain point. With enough skill, you can skin the HARN step. The cool thing here is that it requires player interaction, and is NOT fire and forget.

I don't see this as much different than cyclic magic without the raw channeling feat.

It might be worth investigating which cyclics cause trouble with the fire-and-forget model, and seeing how to address those in particular.

Personally, my feeling is that the issue is more combat (TM and Debilitation) cyclic magic than anything else. Does people really mind Holy Warrior and Steps of Vaun, as opposed to Universal Solution and Electrostatic Eddy?

Re: Magic 3.2 update 08/04/2016 06:34 PM CDT

> Huh? What are you even talking about?

It sounded like you were complaining that ress was too easy to use. I was suggesting that make it more difficult wasn't something worth doing. If you weren't complaining about that then great, carry on.
Re: Magic 3.2 update 08/04/2016 06:37 PM CDT
Reading comprehension fail, much? I very specifically stated that I was simply pointing out why the spell no longer works as an example to illustrate another poster's point.

Re: Magic 3.2 update 08/04/2016 06:52 PM CDT

You're obviously failing at reading comprehension, so let's go back a few posts in this very thread. You're in a thread that's been discussing making cyclics more difficult to cast. People have complained about set it and forget it abilities, and they've suggested multiple drawbacks to "fix" that problem. Then you point out that rezz was changed, and you tested it, and it was very set it and forget it. I'm responding in this thread by saying that there are more variables than what you were mentioning, and that this was not a good example of a "fire it and forget it" ability. If you were really trying to just hijack the thread then good job, I guess.

* JHALIASCLERIC: But yes, I agree that cyclics in general are kind of borked, and it's a shame that in most cases they're just used as trainers (GJ? Rezz?). Additionally, the way Debil or TM cyclics work, the training just pours on in, they're passive combat edges or damage sources, and are by in large far too 'fire and forget'.

* JHALIASCLERIC: Maybe TM and Debil cyclics should eventually peter out and no longer 'do their thing' unless you INFUSE them? It seems a shame only Clerics can INFUSE stuff, and this would make cyclics more interactive.

* TEVESHSZAT: I'm not sure how this is different than how cyclic magic works as a whole, especially when you don't factor in the raw channeling feat.

* JHALIASCLERIC: What I'm suggesting is eventually the pattern 'loses its energy' and requires you invest some mana into it, somewhat like how OM operates. The idea being that while maintenance of the spell pattern requires mana, so too does the spell patterns energy reserves. It being a cyclic means it takes an amount of mana to maintain the pattern, and that mana also dictates how powerful each pulse is, but I think it might be a neat addition if periodically the pattern needed to be interacted with to keep it 'doing things'. This interaction might be somewhat similar to what a cyclic would look like without raw channeling, sure - just spitballing.

* TEVESHSZAT: Infuse/OM is atypical because of more than just the infuse part itself, with OM resembling drawing from charged camb and/or raw channeling itself, and infuse being the way to keep it going.

* Ninevah1: Make Raw Channeling take only a percentage of the mana from your attunement (like 70%). This makes cyclics less start and forget because you still need to harness/charge cambrinth to keep them up, but the cost is greatly reduced. It would also make TM/Debil cyclics take more effort to keep going in combat so they aren't just a free stream of damage. It would also have the added benefit of making large capacity cambrinth, and Arcana ranks (quicker charging), more valuable.

* JHALIASCLERIC: Huh? No, it doesn't - REZZ for example is just a cyclic that operates exactly as I indicated. You cast it, and HARN/INFUSE until you've reached a certain point. With enough skill, you can skin the HARN step. The cool thing here is that it requires player interaction, and is NOT fire and forget. The fun thing that making more cyclics like this would accomplish is mean that A ) cyclics now have some RT/involvement with them after casting, and B ) you still have the forced choice of cyclics. I don't propose this to suggest they'd suddenly be non-automatable, but rather, another requirement on them. Yes, they would take more mana. That would be a good thing, overall.

* ABSOLON: For what it's worth, this was changed a few days ago in light of the new Regen model, and while I haven't played with the new change yet I think it automatically builds up infusion in the passive pulses now or something similar.

* DARKNSBREATHING: You're correct, this has been changed to now have the passive mana pulses from the cyclic act as an infuse for soul searching in addition to the regular infuses. This, however, was because it became such a mana intensive feat--even for myself with 1100+ attunement--so much so that younger clerics were having an extremely difficult if not impossible to resurrect. Now that the cyclic pulses generate searches there is not "lost" mana where as before when the cyclic would pulse that mana would just be wasted and lost without any additional benefit to the process.

* ABSOLON: Yeah, which is exactly the point I was making. It's now as close to a set and forget ability as it can be, so it's not really useful as an example in the previous poster's argument any more. The only thing it currently requires in addition to simply running it is the gesture to complete the ressurection, and possibly either a single manual infusion or manually infusing a minimum of the amount you prepped it at. // I tested it after getting home from work and was able to rezz someone by just letting a 10 mana cast just run on it's own, only manually infusing it with 5 mana twice. I wasn't patient enough to see if I could infuse enough to find the person just by letting it run without any manual infusion, or to test if it was specifically a requirement to manually infuse the amount I cast it at in some combination as a bare minimum. 5+5=10 in my case.

* DERIUM: I think there are a lot of variables involved here, but I personally wouldn't be arguing towards making an ability more difficult to use. The cleric already has to stop what they're doing, find the corpse, rejuve the corpse, bond the corpse, and then res the corpse. If they're really nice, they'll throw in a vigil and auspice in there. The entire process should be looked at cohesively rather than just the difficulty of the last step.
Re: Magic 3.2 update 08/04/2016 07:03 PM CDT
I knew there was a reason I had you ignored.

Re: Magic 3.2 update 08/05/2016 08:54 AM CDT

Anyway -

>It might be worth investigating which cyclics cause trouble with the fire-and-forget model, and seeing how to address those in particular. Personally, my feeling is that the issue is more combat (TM and Debilitation) cyclic magic than anything else. Does people really mind Holy Warrior and Steps of Vaun, as opposed to Universal Solution and Electrostatic Eddy?

In the line of data mining, I wonder if there's a way to determine what cyclics people are using in PvE most. Again, I don't think there's anything wrong with a given cyclic for a given guild being the sort of 'keystone feature', but I think if 100% of Empaths in 100% of combat are using GS instead of AD, maybe there's a lesson to be learned. Similarly, I think you're probably right that the 'offensive combat cyclics' are the one's that are potentially problematic, insofar as being too fire-and-forget whilst also resulting in skill gain.

Indeed, perhaps the number of people running cyclic aoe TMs in stompers is a good indication of how this is something that potentially needs a bit of scrutiny.
Re: Magic 3.2 update 08/05/2016 10:00 AM CDT
>>Indeed, perhaps the number of people running cyclic aoe TMs in stompers is a good indication of how this is something that potentially needs a bit of scrutiny.

People run cyclic AOE TM spells in Stompers because they're under hunting to farm loot and want to kill things as fast as possible. It's the scenario for which those spells are best used, so people who have them are using them.

Mazrian
Re: Magic 3.2 update 08/05/2016 10:17 AM CDT

>>People run cyclic AOE TM spells in Stompers because they're under hunting to farm loot and want to kill things as fast as possible. It's the scenario for which those spells are best used, so people who have them are using them.

Really Mazrian is being too kind. What he means to say is a very specific and well known gold farmer runs Cyclic AOE TM spells in stompers on his bajillion accounts with impunity. This is not a great indicator of the general public's use of cyclic tm.
Re: Magic 3.2 update 08/05/2016 10:21 AM CDT
>>Really Mazrian is being too kind. What he means to say is a very specific and well known gold farmer runs Cyclic AOE TM spells in stompers on his bajillion accounts with impunity. This is not a great indicator of the general public's use of cyclic tm.<<

I'm not making any judgements. Just saying that scenarios where you want to pour on as much damage as possible against opponents you can definitely hit are what cyclic AOE TM spells are best for.

Mazrian
Re: Magic 3.2 update 08/05/2016 10:38 AM CDT
Want to make an effort post about cyclics but work is being really, really annoying. Will have to wait for tonight. =(

Mazrian
Re: Magic 3.2 update 08/05/2016 10:49 AM CDT
>>Just saying that scenarios where you want to pour on as much damage as possible against opponents you can definitely hit are what cyclic AOE TM spells are best for.

Agreed.

I have doubts over a cyclic Augmentation, Utility, or Warding spell being overpowered in relation to a typical direct-cast version (if anything, their cyclic nature vs direct-cast would arguably make them underpowered since you can only use one at a time).

It's more situations when you're doing something that shouldn't be roundtime-free that has cyclics come off as unbalanced.

Re: Magic 3.2 update 08/05/2016 11:03 AM CDT
IDK, I think it's complicated.

Any harmful effect you can apply to someone else (damage, debil, whatever) without having to apply your attention is going to be really, really good in DR. Having an RT (unless it's a long one, which would push things into "too annoying, not worth it") isn't as important as having to devote bandwidth to doing the thing.

It's not only cyclics that are good in this way. The Cleric spell, Sanyu Lyba, is so incredibly hax because it HULPs a caster who casts at the Cleric and the duration of the HULP can be longer than the cooldown of the spell.

But it's complicated and worthy of a long post I can´t make right now. AIIIII

Mazrian
Re: Magic 3.2 update 08/05/2016 12:21 PM CDT

>People run cyclic AOE TM spells in Stompers because they're under hunting to farm loot and want to kill things as fast as possible. It's the scenario for which those spells are best used, so people who have them are using them.

That's kind of the point I was making. If maximizing damage is such a simple thing as 'fire up a cyclic aoe TM', then maybe that should be looked at.

>The Cleric spell, Sanyu Lyba, is so incredibly hax...

Right, so, if in all PvP situations, Clerics have SL, maybe it's worth investigating as a potentially OP spell. My point was more 'perhaps by examining how spells/abilities are used, we can determine if any are in need of adjustment'.
Re: Magic 3.2 update 08/05/2016 02:22 PM CDT
I love cyclics. The idea was cool to me when GMs presented it pre-3.0, and the realization of that idea lived up to the hype. I love that they add a strategy dynamic through a passive super power of which you can choose to run only one at any given time..

Generally speaking, MUs and NMUs both have access to cyclics, so there's balance there. HOWEVER, the specific class of damaging cyclics is not available to everyone. By their passive nature, that tilts the balance scales a good bit. The only way to balance it IMO is to give everyone access to damaging cyclics or limit their concurrency functionality.