Prev_page Previous 1 2 Next Next_page
Re: Planned Magic System Changes 03/15/2016 12:41 AM CDT

> This was just answered:

> Maz >>Do you mean that their mana pool grows faster with skill than secondaries or tertiaries [opposed to having higher skill and thus larger pools?]
> Raesh >Yes.

I don't know how, but I managed to totally misread that. My bad.

- Saragos
Re: Planned Magic System Changes 03/15/2016 01:11 AM CDT
>all kinds of abilities that make up for having magic as a tert skillset - otherwise magic prime is just better

I'm curious, but why do you think that magic terts need special abilities to be made up to match magic primes?

In what other skillset do non-primes get "stuff" added so they "match" the primary guilds?

If anything, primes need more stuff. Because they SHOULD be "just better" at their primary skillset.

I have bets on all the horses in the race, so it's all the same to me.

Kaeta Airtag

"I have faith in the current crop of GMs to not screw people over"

>>Actually an opinion cannot be changed or corrected. Nice try back of line.-VERATHOR
>>But it can be wrong.-Starlear
Re: Planned Magic System Changes 03/15/2016 02:17 AM CDT
chain lightning stinks. this will make it stink worse.(aoe TM at high cost, even higher now)

ring of spears rules, sad to see its cost increased. glad to see FB cost decreaed.

frostbite stays the same?

linear mana regen...we lose alot of current mana regen.
-Munch-
Re: Planned Magic System Changes 03/15/2016 02:33 AM CDT
> I'm curious, but why do you think that magic terts need special abilities to be made up to match magic primes?

> In what other skillset do non-primes get "stuff" added so they "match" the primary guilds?

> If anything, primes need more stuff. Because they SHOULD be "just better" at their primary skillset.

For one, it's hard to balance, or have the perception of balance, especially if we're trying to move past the distinction of combat vs noncombat guilds. If Guild A has significantly fewer "levers" to pull than a Guild B, but has parity in combat or is more successful, Guild B players start to wonder, "Why am I pulling all of these levers when I could just be awesome in Guild A?" And if Guild A does not have parity, the players will thing, "Man, Guild A sucks. I should have been Guild B. Why can't I just change guilds?"

There's a school of thought that says that some of your options need to be easier to play than others to satisfy people who don't want complication, but I rather disagree with it in the context of online games. Your game has its niche and is going to attract (or not) players that want a game with that niche. There are SO MANY other options. I rather doubt there are many Ranger players who are thinking, "Man, it's a good thing we don't have more useful abilities. I just couldn't handle that."

More than that, though, it's more fun to have an ability that lets us feel like we triggered it at the right time for more damage. Negotiating the system gives us a feeling of mastery when we're successful. More than that, sometimes it can grant the illusion of mastery and can cover up flaws while still delivering a satisfying experience. Outside of a narrow band, when I'm facing off against a ton of creatures in an invasion, if I could do it "fast" by juggling all my forms of damage dealing, I could probably do it "slow" by just swinging my sword for 20 minutes. But it feels so much more fun to talk about how I used Fire Rain, CL, Magnetic Ballista, and was swinging the whole time!

If you ask most people's favorite stories about the game related to mechanics, they'll tell you something about how the chips were down and they made the right choice and it totally saved the day. Its usually not, "Oh, man, I totally had more ranks of evasion and couldn't be touched."

When there's uneven complexity between character options, even when you attempt to balance it, most of the time things will end up favoring the option with more complexity with sufficiently skillful players. In many cases, the players end up knowing the game better than the designers. Thus we end up with endless complaints of "DR is MageRealms."

- Saragos
Re: Planned Magic System Changes 03/15/2016 11:50 AM CDT
>>Larger mana pools (Which, again, means faster mana regen. I just removed the double dipping.)

Will that make Cleric's PoM (Persistence of Mana) obsolete?

(I'm still trying to get a handle on all of this, so forgive me if I missed something already stated previously.)

~Gab
Re: Planned Magic System Changes 03/15/2016 02:29 PM CDT
>> I'm curious, but why do you think that magic terts need special abilities to be made up to match magic primes?
>> In what other skillset do non-primes get "stuff" added so they "match" the primary guilds

I am also curious to the answers to these questions. But from my experience logic fairly helps do anything but raise ire, and were pretty much banned from comparing guilds.

>> If anything, primes need more stuff. Because they SHOULD be "just better" at their primary skillset.

I agree. I think having secondary and tertiary guilds magic as potent as primary guilds is just a kick in the teeth in general. They need less ranks to cast their magic well because most spells are 1-2 slots and basic, which means learning slower doesn't hurt as much cause they can cap most spells with less ranks than primary guilds. And they need fewer spell slots, which makes having fewer slots less important. Also being a magic prime doesn't mean anything as far as potency. In some cases spells from non primary magic guilds are better than primary guilds magic and able to do things with magic that are impossible for a primary magic guild. Everyone knows the sports car performance guilds are the survival prime guilds. For whatever reason, mostly because its "cool" probably.

"An' I'm learnin' 'ere in London what the ten-year soldier tells; If you've 'eard the East a-callin', you won't never 'eed naught else. No! you won't 'eed nothin' else"

Re: Planned Magic System Changes 03/15/2016 03:26 PM CDT
I apologize if I am interpreting Saragos wrong, but I agree with what I think he is saying. The magic skillset (or supernatural skillset for NMUs) is where all the "cool stuff" is. Looking past leaning rates. What can the different skillsets do? With weapons, you can make a weapon attack. Minus a passive defensive skill, and some meta skills, that is it. Every other skill is just using a different weapon. Let's not even mention the armor skillset. Lore and survival have a little bit more depth, if only because each of their skills are quite a bit different than, attack with a different flavor of weapon. But the magic skillset can do so much, and magic primes have mechanical advantages beyond just learning rates. They have larger attunement pools, they have more slots to spend on these cool spells, the spells that are developed for their guilds are generally better.

I understand that magic is what magic primes (and to a large extent magic secondaries) do, and they should be better at it, and be able to do cool things that non-magic primes can't do. But there is no counter to this. A Barbarian can make a whirlwind attack, their guild only-skill has some unique uses, they can dual-load bows, and they can off-hand a large weapon. That is pretty much it. Any other guild with equal ranks in a weapon will perform as well as the Barbarian with said weapon. All of the guild's "cool stuff" falls into the supernatural (magic) skillset, which is tertiary to them.

To me, in a balanced game system, there would be "slots" allocated to each skillset, like the weapons skillset in this sample. They would be distrubuted the same as spells slots are, and there would be a myriad of feats and abilities that could be taken with these slots.
Re: Planned Magic System Changes 03/15/2016 04:13 PM CDT
>>Will that make Cleric's PoM (Persistence of Mana) obsolete?

PoM increases Attunement skill and mana regen. It shouldn't be in any way obsoleted by this change.

>>But from my experience logic fairly helps do anything but raise ire

Logic is good. We like logic. Inflammatory statements like that are less good.

>>and were pretty much banned from comparing guilds.

Because Guild vs Guild arguments inevitably degrade into a giant arguments, usually filled with personal attacks.

This doesn't mean you can't compare guilds and ask how things impact one guild vs another. It's about tone and intent ("Guild X has a tool that lets them do Y. Is that something Guild Z could have? I think it'd be useful for them because of A, B and C." That's potentially a helpful post. "Guild X's AoE is terrible, just look at what Guild Y get! Why don't we get that?" That's not a helpful post.)

>>I think having secondary and tertiary guilds magic as potent as primary guilds is just a kick in the teeth in general.

They are not. Also if you ever find yourself using the phrase "kick in the teeth" in a post or similar language, you likely need to step back, relax, and rephrase what you're posting if you want any chance of your argument being given any consideration.

>>They need less ranks to cast their magic well because most spells are 1-2 slots and basic

This is both not true and undermines the above statement that they're equally potent.

>>which means learning slower doesn't hurt as much cause they can cap most spells with less ranks than primary guilds.

This is a complete misunderstanding of the learning model.

>>And they need fewer spell slots, which makes having fewer slots less important.

If I have a tea cup it'll take less water to fill than a 55 gallon drum. That doesn't mean I have an equal amount of water at the end of the day as the guy with a 55 gallon drum.

>>Also being a magic prime doesn't mean anything as far as potency.

You'd need to clarify what you mean by potency here. Because potency has a specific meaning in the magic system that, no, Magic Primes do not get a bonus to but I don't think that's what you mean.

>>In some cases spells from non primary magic guilds are better than primary guilds magic and able to do things with magic that are impossible for a primary magic guild.

This is an extremely broad and ill-defined statement that, barring bugs of which I'm unaware, is generally not true when comparing effects both Primary and Secondary/Tert guilds.

Do Magic Secondaries and Terts sometimes get to do things with Magic that Magic Primes do not? Yes (particularly the Secondary guilds)

Empaths have exclusive access to healing. Bard Magic is kind of weird. Invisibility is a Survival Prime feature (That Moon Mages have access too for a variety of reasons.)

>>Everyone knows the sports car performance guilds are the survival prime guilds. For whatever reason, mostly because its "cool" probably.

This is the perfect example of why we tend to shut down Guild vs Guild arguments. It contains no facts, no supporting evidence, no useful observations. It's a personal opinion stated as fact and phrased as an attack.

-Raesh

"It was wise enough to know itself, and brave enough to BE itself, and wild enough to change itself while somehow staying altogether true." ― The Slow Regard of Silent Things
Re: Planned Magic System Changes 03/15/2016 05:18 PM CDT
>>This is a complete misunderstanding of the learning model.

Advanced and Esoteric spells require more ranks to cast at cap. Meaning guilds with mainly basic spells that require 600 or less ranks in general will CAP their guild magic with less ranks. Its not like you can hit in combat with weapons with less ranks because you learn them at tertiary rates. Making spells that cap sooner is essentially that for guilds who learn magic ranks slower.

>>This is both not true and undermines the above statement that they're equally potent.

Last time I counted, most secondary and tertiary guilds did not have more spells available than slots for them. Currently off the top of my head I know its still true for most non prime guilds. By this logic, its easy to say they need less spell slots than Primary Magic Guilds, who have more spells to use slots on, and are therefore are minimally affected by being granted fewer spell slots as they progress because they end up needing less at the end.

>>This is an extremely broad and ill-defined statement that, barring bugs of which I'm unaware, is generally not true when comparing effects both Primary and Secondary/Tert guilds.

Magical Sniping, healing and combat pets, to name three. And there is little to no difference in power based on skillset when it comes to magic that can be determined without seeing code.

>>This is the perfect example of why we tend to shut down Guild vs Guild arguments. It contains no facts, no supporting evidence, no useful observations. It's a personal opinion stated as fact and phrased as an attack.
>>Everyone knows the sports car performance guilds are the survival prime guilds. For whatever reason, mostly because its "cool" probably.

I was trying to avoid guild vs guild comparison so I stayed away from stating the many facts that would fill such a post. I made useful observations, and provided evidence how non prime magic guilds were able to use magic just as well as primary magic guilds can, and in some cases do things prime magic guilds cannot. Survival Prime Guilds can do alot that non survival primes cannot in comparison imho, such as sniping, slipping objects, and also their specialized stealth round times and maneuvers.

>>Also if you ever find yourself using the phrase "kick in the teeth" in a post or similar language, you likely need to step back, relax, and rephrase what you're posting if you want any chance of your argument being given any consideration.

Sorry if this came off the wrong way. Kick in the teeth means when you tried very hard to achieve something and get let down. I guess it can be taken a few ways. I think being magic prime it shouldn't be working extra hard at magic only to realize you are not the "best" at it, but instead only equally good as other less specialized casters are with it. I did not mean to start a guild vs guild debate.

"An' I'm learnin' 'ere in London what the ten-year soldier tells; If you've 'eard the East a-callin', you won't never 'eed naught else. No! you won't 'eed nothin' else"

Re: Planned Magic System Changes 03/15/2016 05:36 PM CDT
>>Advanced and Esoteric spells require more ranks to cast at cap. Meaning guilds with mainly basic spells...

Sure. Let's take a look at some numbers though. We'll use Warrior Mages and Paladins to pick two random guilds.

For Warrior Mages:

https://elanthipedia.play.net/mediawiki/index.php/Category:Warrior_Mage_Spells

That's (roughly speaking):
18 Intro/Basic
15 Advanced
11 Esoteric

For Paladins:

https://elanthipedia.play.net/mediawiki/index.php/Category:Paladin_Spells

12 Intro/Basic
9 Advanced
5 Esoteric

So, by percentages, Paladins have a few less Esoteric spells - but that's by design. Esoteric spells are capstones you grow into. They're not your bread and butter every day spells. (A slight aside: it's possible one of those Warrior Mage AoEs should slide down from esoteric to advanced to give the guild earlier access to AoE magic. This is something that's more enticing to do under the new slot model.)

>>Last time I counted, most secondary and tertiary guilds did not have more spells available than slots for them.

This is something we'd like to fix for all guilds - but also keep in mind a lot of slots tend to get eaten up by feats and not everyone is in the end game where they have all their slots.

>>Magical Sniping, healing and combat pets, to name three.

If we're going to list things specific to classes you might as well say Magic Primaries have exclusive access to resurrection, teleportation, and a slew of oddball unique TM effects (DB/BG/MaB).

>>Guild vs Guild

If you're trying to avoid these arguments for keeping the thread civil and production you need to rethink your approach.

-Raesh

"It was wise enough to know itself, and brave enough to BE itself, and wild enough to change itself while somehow staying altogether true." ― The Slow Regard of Silent Things
Re: Planned Magic System Changes 03/15/2016 05:37 PM CDT
>If I have a tea cup it'll take less water to fill than a 55 gallon drum. That doesn't mean I have an equal amount of water at the end of the day as the guy with a 55 gallon drum.

Disagree!

>http://www.guinnessworldrecords.com/world-records/largest-cup-of-tea

Mostly because I thought this thread could use some levity.

As a mostly magic tertiary player (Paladin and thieves), an occasional magic secondary player (bard) and a random magic primary player (cleric and WM), I think it's silly to say magic primes don't have 'any' advantage. Even as low as level 10 you can see some pull away in options of spells, but once you start getting up to 50th+ there's really no comparison at all.
Re: Planned Magic System Changes 03/15/2016 05:40 PM CDT
>http://www.guinnessworldrecords.com/world-records/largest-cup-of-tea

That tea cup would not take less water to fill than a 55 gallon drum and thus wouldn't meet my carefully worded criteria.

-Raesh

Re: Planned Magic System Changes 03/15/2016 05:43 PM CDT
>>Advanced and Esoteric spells require more ranks to cast at cap. Meaning guilds with mainly basic spells that require 600 or less ranks in general will CAP their guild magic with less ranks. Its not like you can hit in combat with weapons with less ranks because you learn them at tertiary rates. Making spells that cap sooner is essentially that for guilds who learn magic ranks slower.

You're missing the fact that spell difficulty is now a universal rule.

In 2.0, a Paladin capping a 1st tier spell might require 100 ranks, while a Warrior Mage might require 200 ranks. Now everyone follows the same rules. Also, it's worth 100% acknowledging that in 2.0 every magic tert spell tended to conclude by around 400-500 ranks. So arguing that basic spells "only" scale up to 600 is a bit... really weird and disconnected.

>>Last time I counted, most secondary and tertiary guilds did not have more spells available than slots for them.

Let's look at this in a more fair sense. Also, let's acknowledge that slot costs were also now set to universal rules, so it's not like a ranger TM spell costs 1 slot while a warrior mage TM spell that does the same thing costs 5 slots.

You're currently arguing that Rangers and Paladins, who have less slots than Moon Mages/Warrior Mages/Clerics, don't have enough spells to fill those slots, while magic primes have so many spells they can't even get them all if they tried. This is a very weird complaint in my eyes, because you're essentially arguing that you're at a disadvantage because of a gross abundance of spells to choose from.

>>I think being magic prime it shouldn't be working extra hard at magic only to realize you are not the "best" at it, but instead only equally good as other less specialized casters are with it. I did not mean to start a guild vs guild debate.

I think the problem is that you're looking at what counts as "best" in a very cynical view.

For example, let's say "food tertiaries" could eat hambugers and hot dogs, and they actually have enough space on their plates for one of each. Meanwhile, "food primaries" could eat hambugers, hot dogs, steaks, pies, cakes, cheeses, bagel bites, pizza rolls, but only fit five of those on their plate.

It appears like you're arguing that food primaries are disenfranchised in this situation. That comes off as a bit confusing.

Uzmam! The Chairman will NOT be pleased to know you're trying to build outside of approved zones. I'd hate for you to be charged the taxes needed to have this place re-zoned. Head for the manor if you're feeling creative.
Re: Planned Magic System Changes 03/15/2016 05:44 PM CDT
>That tea cup would not take less water to fill than a 55 gallon drum and thus wouldn't meet my carefully worded criteria.

I thought 4000 Liters was roughly equivalent to 1000 gallons. Did I mess up the math?
Re: Planned Magic System Changes 03/15/2016 05:46 PM CDT
1000 gallons > 55 gallons.

Therefor the statement that the tea cup would take less water to fill than a 55 gallon drum would not be true, therefor the tea cup is not valid for this demonstration.

-Raesh

Re: Planned Magic System Changes 03/15/2016 06:21 PM CDT
>>>>>Advanced and Esoteric spells require more ranks to cast at cap. Meaning guilds with mainly basic spells that require 600 or less ranks in general will CAP their guild magic with less ranks. Its not like you can hit in combat with weapons with less ranks because you learn them at tertiary rates. Making spells that cap sooner is essentially that for guilds who learn magic ranks slower.

Esoteric spells are, generally, better and more comprehensive than basic spells. This means that magic primes generally get better spells than magic tertiaries.

Compare:
Starlight Sphere to Partial Displacement (both one slot spells)

>>>>Last time I counted, most secondary and tertiary guilds did not have more spells available than slots for them. Currently off the top of my head I know its still true for most non prime guilds. By this logic, its easy to say they need less spell slots than Primary Magic Guilds, who have more spells to use slots on, and are therefore are minimally affected by being granted fewer spell slots as they progress because they end up needing less at the end.

There is no way I would trade the spell book of my Moon Mage for those of a Paladin or Ranger. Even with the fill spell book at their disposal, the magic tertiaries don't hold a candle to the magic primes.
Re: Planned Magic System Changes 03/15/2016 06:34 PM CDT
I don't understand how this is getting interpreted by some as a nerf to magic primary guilds. That conclusion's a non sequitur, right? I mean, it sounds to me like casting most-used spells (usually), the intermediate and below difficulty spells, is actually going to get easier for everyone.

Now... If the spells are reevaluated and it winds up being a nerf to primes in the test instance, then I'd understand negative feedback. Premature negative feedback is premature. At this stage, I think questions are fair. Any more than that I don't get.

If the concern is that magic tertiary guilds will now cast as well as mages, I can honestly say my paladin didn't feel like a supermage in test. I still can't maintain a 30 mana esoteric cyclic for more than a few minutes in a brilliant mana room with 900 attunement skill. I'm also not, I don't think, [currently] casting more efficiently. The only difference is I'm hanging around in the upper mana ranges rather than the lower ranges while casting, which gives me more options like the ability to pool mana for strategic casts. The change I'm most looking forward to, which affects every MU guild, is the reduced mana cost for certain spells.
Re: Planned Magic System Changes 03/15/2016 06:48 PM CDT

Good luck with the balance and I appreciate your hard work on this project. You guys get it done and I will look forward to trying it out. I am sure some tweaking it expected but it sounds like solid logic

Cadderrly
Re: Planned Magic System Changes 03/15/2016 08:07 PM CDT
>>I don't understand how this is getting interpreted by some as a nerf to magic primary guilds.

One aspect of the mana regeneration change is a nerf to magic primes.

The rest is fairly even across the board and will, likely, benefit magic primes as much or more than other classes.

-Raesh

Re: Planned Magic System Changes 03/15/2016 08:26 PM CDT
One thing I haven't seen mentioned in this thread is the additional small bonus to attunement regeneration that Clerics get over and above that of other primes. Is this currently still a thing, and if so will it still continue to be a thing?
Re: Planned Magic System Changes 03/15/2016 08:44 PM CDT
As a long-time player of prime magic guilds who only recently started playing a secondary guild, I have to say that slots are a HUGE advantage. HUGE HUGE HUGE. It cannot possibly be understated. Especially up through level 50 when you're getting slots every single circle. My only frustrations from playing a non-prime guild come from slots and how slowly they are acquired. It's the difference between that 4-slot spell taking four levels to acquire (before 50) and 8 levels, which is kind of a big deal.

I think this matters less overall to the Tert guilds, but for the Secondary guilds whose primary abilities are wrapped up in magic, it's a Big Deal. At least it has been to me.

Overall I think the changes sound really promising. I'm hoping for a little slot relief in some of the redundant spells, but kudos on the balance and QoL changes overall.
Re: Planned Magic System Changes 03/15/2016 08:59 PM CDT
Just a note that probably needs fixing:

With the change in how mana regen is working, the incremental change on Moon Gate probably needs looking at. Testing it with over 1k attunement at max mana, I couldn't keep it up for more than a minute because of how quickly the drain goes up to some big numbers (the last tick took at least 30% of my attunement).
Re: Planned Magic System Changes 03/15/2016 09:20 PM CDT
<<I couldn't keep it up for more than a minute because of how quickly the drain goes up to some big numbers

I'm pretty sure that's fully working as intended.
Re: Planned Magic System Changes 03/15/2016 11:40 PM CDT
So how does this affect the Barbarians' abilities Mana Torment? Or for that matter Mage's Lash. Are these now pretty much moot when facing a magic primary opponent?

Does this mean magic primary guilds now regen mana faster than previously and can cap their spells faster then previously?

Rhadyn da Dwarb - Blood for fire!
Re: Planned Magic System Changes 03/16/2016 02:14 AM CDT
>>Is this currently still a thing, and if so will it still continue to be a thing?

This hasn't been a thing since 3.0 when we stopped really having "The harness guild" "the power perception guild" and "the targetted magic guild".

>>With the change in how mana regen is working, the incremental change on Moon Gate probably needs looking at. Testing it with over 1k attunement at max mana, I couldn't keep it up for more than a minute because of how quickly the drain goes up to some big numbers (the last tick took at least 30% of my attunement).

Given how Moongate ramps with time attunement regeneration is an insignificant factor here.

>>So how does this affect the Barbarians' abilities Mana Torment?

It doesn't?

>>Or for that matter Mage's Lash.

Still doesn't?

>>Are these now pretty much moot when facing a magic primary opponent?

I don't see why they would be.

>>Does this mean magic primary guilds now regen mana faster than previously

Depends on where they are in the curve. With higher mana levels, yes, they'll regen faster. If they're lower in the pool they'll regen slower.

>>and can cap their spells faster then previously?

Capping spells is a function of skill. These changes are unrelated.

-Raesh

Re: Planned Magic System Changes 03/16/2016 05:13 AM CDT
>What can the different skillsets do? Blah blah blah

And so the answer is to give more stuff to other skillsets, tiered out by skillset ranking. Not "The Magic skillset does so much, so we need to keep piling on new stuff that is powered by it".

>But the magic skillset can do so much, and magic primes have mechanical advantages beyond just learning rates. They have larger attunement pools, they have more slots to spend on these cool spells, the spells that are developed for their guilds are generally better.

They also have more spells that fill more slots. So far to the best of my knowledge 2 of the 3 magic primes are the only magic guilds that have more spell slots to take than they even can get for just their guild specific spells, let alone add in all the magic feats and analogous spells to throw in as well. All the magic secondaries and tertiaries haven't filled up yet. They've got room to grow, which given the latest spells to be released, means more cool stuff.

>>http://www.guinnessworldrecords.com/world-records/largest-cup-of-tea

I'm amused that not only is it a big damned tea cup (I guess, I didn't see a picture of it, just a description of its dimensions), but they thought to put in motors to stir the water and electric water heaters in it to keep it hot.

Kaeta Airtag

"I have faith in the current crop of GMs to not screw people over"

>>Actually an opinion cannot be changed or corrected. Nice try back of line.-VERATHOR
>>But it can be wrong.-Starlear
Re: Planned Magic System Changes 03/16/2016 11:13 AM CDT
>The rest is fairly even across the board and will, likely, benefit magic primes as much or more than other classes.

That's what I meant. The net effect sounds to me like a buff, not a nerf.

>Skill set stuff

I think the uniqueness and variety of prime spells is the best and most undervalued benefit to being magic prime. A lot of times in PvP I find myself with no magical debilitation options on my paladin due to diminishing returns. The most successful magic secondary and tertiary characters I've watched and PvP'ed with favor weapons to TM for damage except in specific cases. There's a reason for that and it's not that TM is underpowered (it isn't anymore).

Magic primary guilds' potential offense is unmatched by any guild not Thief, and magic primary guilds also generally have the best suite of the various MUs for damage avoidance/mitigation and debilitation. It's not even arguable, and that's not a complaint. Most non-prime guilds are simply less finished as a consequence of having more niche systems, like others mentioned, but even when secondary/tert abilities are fleshed out (those that are left), I don't anticipate magic will be where we see the biggest additions/changes. I hope so, anyway.
Re: Planned Magic System Changes ::NUDGE:: 03/16/2016 11:53 AM CDT
The tea discussion is throwing us a little off-topic; let's keep this to constructive discussion about Raesh's changes to magic, please.

Helje
DragonRealms Senior Board Moderator

If you have a question about the forums, please email me Senior Board Moderator Helje at DR-Helje@play.net or Message Board Supervisor Annwyl at DR-Annwyl@play.net
Re: Planned Magic System Changes 03/16/2016 12:10 PM CDT
>>One aspect of the mana regeneration change is a nerf to magic primes.

I don't disagree with this in theory, but in reality I've never had an issue with mana management once I had enough attunement under my belt. So while I agree that it's a benefit, it seems a bit hollow.

Uzmam! The Chairman will NOT be pleased to know you're trying to build outside of approved zones. I'd hate for you to be charged the taxes needed to have this place re-zoned. Head for the manor if you're feeling creative.
Re: Planned Magic System Changes 03/16/2016 12:22 PM CDT
>>I don't disagree with this in theory, but in reality I've never had an issue with mana management once I had enough attunement under my belt. So while I agree that it's a benefit, it seems a bit hollow.

When you're hunting and you can work out a sustainable rythym and go with it, it's not an issue.

When you're PvPing or fighting in a hard invasion and you can't control the pace and location of events it can definitely be an issue.

Mazrian
Re: Planned Magic System Changes 03/16/2016 01:00 PM CDT
Have you tried taking Maz into Test to see how things feel? I'm curious about how things feel for high level magic primary characters with spell costs as they currently are in the prime instance.

I'm also curious about how the new spell costs will be determined if that's even known yet. Will it be based on number of effects, difficulty or a combination? Will there be a fudge factor for spells with effects that are hard to weight? In keeping with the MB example, MB does 4 times the number of things that Dazzle does and it's also significantly more difficult. Does that mean Dazzle should be 4 times less expensive to cast than MB?
Re: Planned Magic System Changes 03/16/2016 01:17 PM CDT
>>Have you tried taking Maz into Test to see how things feel? I'm curious about how things feel for high level magic primary characters with spell costs as they currently are in the prime instance.

I was over there a couple of days ago. In good mana areas, I can hunt the way I do in Prime and maintain my mana at a high level. In some bad mana areas where I could still do it in Prime, I'll run myself dry eventually. As costs are now I think I'd have to pay a little more attention to my room - feels like it did when Maz was more mid-level except that there are fewer bad rooms due to more attunement skill.

Using the mana costs as they are in Prime, PvP would probably feel worse because when I PvP I'm usually dumping so much mana that I run down to the low end of my bar. I feel like I'd eventually get myself down there and have to contend with the slower regen rate. If Debil and TM get cheaper that will change the analysis a lot, natch.

Getting the costs balanced is going to be key. I'm especially interested to see what happens to AOE and heavy TM spells.

Mazrian
Re: Planned Magic System Changes 03/16/2016 02:55 PM CDT
An aside, I was curious how ROC would perform with these changes so I want and plopped myself in a dusky mana room and threw up a 10 mana ROC. Where before I'd slowly drop to half or 3/4 attunement and hover there if I was sustaining ROC in a low-mana room (not always my choice after all), I'm hovering at full and near-full now. So that's a VERY nice change for me.

Thayet
@thayelf // http://thayette.tumblr.com

"But you must know that if corruption is powerful enough, it's not corruption at all — it's law. Unspoken, unwritten, but law." — Robert Jackson Bennett, City of Stairs
Prev_page Previous 1 2 Next Next_page