Re: Casting Penalty Adjustments 02/02/2016 04:11 AM CST

Note to self: don't get greedy around Raesh...

[05:03] You quietly ask, "Think we can make it so my spells always cast at max potency, at min prep?"
[05:04] You quietly say, "I mean, since you're knee deep in the code anyways."
[05:04] Raesh asks, "Sure. If you can't cast, that's always your personal max right?"
Re: Casting Penalty Adjustments 02/02/2016 05:59 AM CST
And here I thought team magic was of the opinion that concentration wasn't penalizing people enough. I guess I misunderstood.

Monster Elec

You hear the distant echo of a savage Horde snarling in barbaric disapproval of your deeds.
Re: Casting Penalty Adjustments 02/02/2016 06:10 AM CST
Concentration penalized the heck out of casting.

Mazrian
Re: Casting Penalty Adjustments 02/02/2016 06:14 AM CST
<<And here I thought team magic was of the opinion that concentration wasn't penalizing people enough. I guess I misunderstood.

What they said was that concentration, and therefore penalties from it, probably doesn't affect as many things as it probably should. I.e. it's under used not under-penalizing.

<<Concentration penalized the heck out of casting.

This. Casting a ritual spell pretty much prevented casting further spells for several minutes because of the concentration drain.

Elanthipedia - https://elanthipedia.play.net/mediawiki/index.php/Main_Page
Epedia Admins - https://elanthipedia.play.net/mediawiki/index.php/Elanthipedia:Administrators
Re: Casting Penalty Adjustments 02/02/2016 06:39 AM CST
Concentration is underutilized. This is a true.

Concentration overly penalized magic. This is also true.

These two statements are not contradictory.

-Raesh

"It was wise enough to know itself, and brave enough to BE itself, and wild enough to change itself while somehow staying altogether true." ― The Slow Regard of Silent Things
Re: Casting Penalty Adjustments 02/02/2016 03:52 PM CST
I guess I don't understand. As a guild that requires constant monitoring of concentration, I work those stats much harder to have better concentration. And by default, I monitor my concentration... Unless it was simply that far out of whack, (which no one but a gm can see the calcs...and answer) it seems like a "gimmie" for team magic. I was just looking for clarification.

To clarify my own stance, I guess I'd feel different if someone put loads of time and effort into making sure concentration was up there and still posted complaining. What I see a lot of (like chars on drsales) is people not having enough concentration because they choose to train other things. I understand concentration isn't nearly as important for anyone other than thieves, but what is "enough" or "too much". I'd wager that few MU's bother to work conc as hard as thieves, but theres a reprieve in place. VERY few guilds require the effort to balance stats. Most get by plenty by skewing one or two. I've always just viewed that as the cost of doing business.

Monster Elec

You hear the distant echo of a savage Horde snarling in barbaric disapproval of your deeds.
Re: Casting Penalty Adjustments 02/02/2016 03:54 PM CST
>>Unless it was simply that far out of whack, (which no one but a gm can see the calcs...and answer) it seems like a "gimmie" for team magic. I was just looking for clarification.

Like nerve damage and stealth, concentration and magic could result in a 100% penalty. This was found unacceptable in both cases, and scaled back in both cases to be severe but not demolishing.

-Armifer
"Perinthia's astronomers are faced with a difficult choice. Either they must admit that all their calculations were wrong ... or else they must reveal that the order of the gods is reflected exactly in the city of monsters." - Italo Calvino
Re: Casting Penalty Adjustments 02/02/2016 03:58 PM CST
Not arguing in the least, just trying to understand better.

I mean... If I can't concentrate, why should I be able to cast a spell? If I can't concentrate I can't use khri at all, this seems normal. Can MU's now cast with no conc? Or do they cast penalized with no conc? I'm not able to be IG currently to do any testing. So just curious.

Monster Elec

Re: Casting Penalty Adjustments 02/02/2016 04:01 PM CST
Heh. To be honest, that was one of our arguments against changing stealth penalties too, "With completely paralysis, why should they be able to hide?" I found that unsatisfactory given the number of things you need to be able to.

They can cast without concentration, at a very unfortunate penalty, but yes, they can get a spell off in that circumstance.

-Armifer
"Perinthia's astronomers are faced with a difficult choice. Either they must admit that all their calculations were wrong ... or else they must reveal that the order of the gods is reflected exactly in the city of monsters." - Italo Calvino
Re: Casting Penalty Adjustments 02/02/2016 04:03 PM CST
So then, would it be fair to request a concentration regen boost similar to when you run low on mana and are within the correct parameters? If under 20% or whatever it is... I don't remember, you regen x% faster?

Monster Elec

Re: Casting Penalty Adjustments 02/02/2016 04:05 PM CST
I guess it's more intriguing to me since I know these numbers as mentioned but not specifically the new ones surrounding nerve damage and stealth. Again, just curious. Thanks for the time and replies.

Monster Elec

Re: Casting Penalty Adjustments 02/02/2016 04:06 PM CST
>>So then, would it be fair to request a concentration regen boost similar to when you run low on mana and are within the correct parameters? If under 20% or whatever it is... I don't remember, you regen x% faster?

I honestly don't know enough about the guts of Khri and how they're balanced re: Concentration to comment usefully. I mean, the concept doesn't offend me but I'd defer heavily to Ricinus for it.

-Armifer
Re: Casting Penalty Adjustments 02/02/2016 04:09 PM CST
>>I guess I don't understand. As a guild that requires constant monitoring of concentration, I work those stats much harder to have better concentration. And by default, I monitor my concentration... Unless it was simply that far out of whack, (which no one but a gm can see the calcs...and answer) it seems like a "gimmie" for team magic. I was just looking for clarification.

I can't speak for ritual magic users, but I've pretty much never monitored my concentration. Concentration means absolutely nothing to me as a magic user, because there is no way I'm going to run out of concentration. Concentration is infinite as far as I'm concerned.

I can see this adjustment as a way to start introducing concentration mattering a bit more, though.

That said, IMO concentration for Thieves is more like Mana for magic users (and Inner Fire for Barbs?). Maybe Thieves should just move their special sauce off of concentration like everyone else, and concentration should start to be some kind of SvS tolerance meter or something (ie: if you keep casting SvS, you'll get progressively worse until your concentration goes up, and if you're constantly hit by SvS attacks you also might defend them progressively worse, who knows!).

Uzmam! The Chairman will NOT be pleased to know you're trying to build outside of approved zones. I'd hate for you to be charged the taxes needed to have this place re-zoned. Head for the manor if you're feeling creative.
Re: Casting Penalty Adjustments 02/02/2016 04:45 PM CST
The only time concentration really matters as a magic user is few and far between. Casting ritual spells is the most obvious and affects the most number of people (not Necromancers with their ironic ritual-less existence), but there's a few other outliers as well none of which have a real impact for various reasons. A couple examples:

Casting a spell at the absolute bleeding edge of your skill drops concentration by about 5 to 10%, but that's easily recovered from in the time it takes to prepare the next spell and once you start capping spells goes away since there's no bleeding edge of skill anymore.

Moon Mage enchanting has a task that uses concentration as a resource and usually drains it a large amount, but because it's done during enchanting you're already buffed up by the time you do it and don't need to cast further spells while enchanting so it doesn't have a practical impact.

Epedia Admins - https://elanthipedia.play.net/mediawiki/index.php/Elanthipedia:Administrators
Re: Casting Penalty Adjustments 02/02/2016 04:48 PM CST
I kind of like the idea of using debilitators nuking concentration on both ends, but only if debilitators become much more powerful than they are now.

Thayet
@thayelf // http://thayette.tumblr.com

"But you must know that if corruption is powerful enough, it's not corruption at all — it's law. Unspoken, unwritten, but law." — Robert Jackson Bennett, City of Stairs
Re: Casting Penalty Adjustments 02/02/2016 04:57 PM CST
<<They can cast without concentration, at a very unfortunate penalty, but yes, they can get a spell off in that circumstance.

I just want to clarify this, in case Elec (or others) doesn't catch the intricacy of it. What used to be the case was that with low enough concentration you couldn't cast at all, not even a minimum prep spell, and even relatively small amounts of concentration loss required casting at much lower mana in order to succeed. What it is now is that casting is now possible with no concentration, and the previous lowered mana requirement scales better over all concentration values. You are still not going to be casting at the same strength as you would at full concentration. If attempting to cast at your usual full strength then you will still backfire hard. Low concentration means that your spell strengths will need to be reduced by a fair amount in order to get them off, and there's still no way to know what that amount would be without guesstimating, so backfiring is still a real possibility.

Re: Casting Penalty Adjustments 02/02/2016 05:05 PM CST

>I kind of like the idea of using debilitators nuking concentration on both ends, but only if debilitators become much more powerful than they are now.

Heh, you mean like if they cause nerve damage, for example?
Re: Casting Penalty Adjustments 02/02/2016 05:08 PM CST
Not arguing, but that seems pretty LOL to me. I mean. Khri are totally binary. And have worked that way since thief magic went live. Either you have the concentration to put them up or you don't. It's much more like mana in that regard. So forgive me if I don't see the problem. I mean, what's good for the goose isn't for the gander nawmean? It's just funny. I mean, everyone hates relic penalties, so awesome for getting rid of it.

Monster Elec

Re: Casting Penalty Adjustments 02/02/2016 05:11 PM CST
If we were talking about mana being at zero, then yes, being at 0 mana prevents casting spells completely and this happens very easily particularly if you're magic secondary or especially tertiary. But we're not. Directly comparing a thief resource pool to a magic-user spell modifier doesn't really work the way you are doing it.

Re: Casting Penalty Adjustments 02/02/2016 05:12 PM CST
>> Heh, you mean like if they cause nerve damage, for example?

I mean like removing diminishing returns entirely if that became the case as well as potentially lengthening the minimum durations a significant amount.

Thayet
@thayelf // http://thayette.tumblr.com

"But you must know that if corruption is powerful enough, it's not corruption at all — it's law. Unspoken, unwritten, but law." — Robert Jackson Bennett, City of Stairs
Re: Casting Penalty Adjustments 02/02/2016 05:57 PM CST
>>So forgive me if I don't see the problem. I mean, what's good for the goose isn't for the gander nawmean?

Because your [Thief] version of "I can't do this" WRT concentration is more "because I don't have the energy reserves [mana] to pull it off" and not "because I am at 100% skill penalty".

It's like if I argued having 0 mana is a 100% magic skillset penalty. It would just be a weird statement to make.

Uzmam! The Chairman will NOT be pleased to know you're trying to build outside of approved zones. I'd hate for you to be charged the taxes needed to have this place re-zoned. Head for the manor if you're feeling creative.
Re: Casting Penalty Adjustments 02/03/2016 02:06 AM CST

Just for example, with 100 int/wis/disc and 1100-1300 in relevant magics, casting MF at cap drops my concentration down to 61%.
Before these changes that would have locked me out of casting my spells for a few minutes unless I wanted to cast them well under cap, this change is very welcome indeed.
Re: Casting Penalty Adjustments 02/03/2016 05:55 AM CST
That makes much more sense. Thank you.

Monster Elec

Re: Casting Penalty Adjustments - low skill levels 02/03/2016 08:14 PM CST
Howdy,

Is it possible to look at the recent changes for lower level characters?

I'm finding that one or two backfires is quickly resulting in a debilitating amount of nerve damage, which quickly makes hunting and/or spellcasting near impossible now.

I don't know if you can alter the formulas to account for low skill, but it would be very helpful.

Thanks,
GENT
Re: Casting Penalty Adjustments - low skill levels 02/03/2016 08:15 PM CST
Given how the penalties are applied they are already scaled for all levels of skill.

If you're backfiring that badly that frequently you might need to look at how you're casting and step back slightly.

-Raesh

"It was wise enough to know itself, and brave enough to BE itself, and wild enough to change itself while somehow staying altogether true." ― The Slow Regard of Silent Things
Re: Casting Penalty Adjustments - low skill levels 02/03/2016 08:31 PM CST
I feel like casting one spell 1-2 mana over what DISCERN suggests and going from unharmed to minor twitching is a bit harsh? Once you've hit that, you pretty much have to go get healed. The skill ranges are so tight at the bottom end, that even just being fatigued 10-15% can cause a backfire.

Could we lower the requirements for Injured Casting to compensate for the increase in damage?

I'm all for making spellcasting less Easy Button, but I feel like it could be stepped back a little at low end.

Thanks,
GENT
Re: Casting Penalty Adjustments - low skill levels 02/03/2016 08:31 PM CST
Er, just got Cautious Casting and Injured Casting mixed up. It would still help to lower the requirements!

GENT
Re: Casting Penalty Adjustments - low skill levels 02/03/2016 08:38 PM CST
The amounts of nerve damage didn't change at all.

-Raesh

Re: Casting Penalty Adjustments - low skill levels 02/03/2016 08:53 PM CST
Hmm. OK, fine, I'll buy that.

GENT
Re: Casting Penalty Adjustments - low skill levels 02/03/2016 09:34 PM CST

I always felt that discern lies about how much you can stuff into a spell by about 5 mana, so if your adding above even that I imagine you backfire often and hard.
Re: Casting Penalty Adjustments - low skill levels 02/03/2016 09:40 PM CST
Armifer recently said that the discern value doesn't account for the RNG modifiers to the cast skill checks, so if you're casting at the discerned value you will backfire about 50% of the time because the RNG will put you below the required skill about that much of the time. By dropping the mana value below the discern value by enough, usually just a few mana, you will account for the randomness of the skill checks involved and never backfire. By increasing the mana above the discern value slightly you could still be within range of the random check if it's only a few mana, but will more likely than not backfire even if still within range of success.

Re: Casting Penalty Adjustments - low skill levels 02/03/2016 09:46 PM CST
To add to that, there's also other factors like nerve damage, fatigue, concentration, and such which will further push the chance to backfire at discern mana levels higher, so even without the randomness of the skill checks it's a good idea to provide a reduced-mana buffer for those situations.

Re: DISCERN 02/03/2016 09:47 PM CST
Tangential:

Can we split DISCERN into two different verbs? RECALL <mnemonic> gives you the full output you currently get with DISCERN, while DISCERN would just give you the last line... for like 0-3 seconds of RT (and doesn't pull you out of hiding!!!)

Thanks,
GENT