Re: Rend and Dispel updates 07/20/2015 10:17 AM CDT
Well that makes Rend pretty much useless to me now except as a prerequisite to Unleash. Oh, well.

Elanthipedia - https://elanthipedia.play.net/mediawiki/index.php/Main_Page
Epedia Admins - https://elanthipedia.play.net/mediawiki/index.php/Elanthipedia:Administrators
Re: Rend and Dispel updates 07/20/2015 12:38 PM CDT

Raesh are you stalking me!?

I was literally running rend/dispel tests last night and meant to post about some bugs.

1) Rend can be used against Shear without proccing the stun. It will either destroy shear or be weakened and dispel the underlying spells. (Much like a typical spell.)

I hope this is intended.

2) On the flip side, Dispel was NOT triggering Shear. The stun or the "weakening". Dispel "worked", but the person lost the contest and wasn't able to dispel any of my spells. (Again without proccing shear.)

Also... apparently I missed out on free debilitation exp. :P

>> Well that makes Rend pretty much useless to me now except as a prerequisite to Unleash. Oh, well.

Rend is pretty amazing. Getting rid of 2 spells is twice as good as dispel! Also it doesn't proc shear. Yay.

>>> Other random suggestion

Hey Raesh, since you are tinkering with debilitation experience... Any chance you can move debilitation to train similar to TM? It's quite annoying training intelligence only to learn you can't train debilitation anymore.

And...

>> Rend/Dispel Suggestion

Any chance you can have rend/dispel remove cyclics? This would be extremely helpful and add a nice strategic element to combat.

Thanks!
Re: Rend and Dispel updates 07/20/2015 12:49 PM CDT
>>Shear

Hmm. Dunno on that one. Sounds like a project for when we dig deeper into integrity barriers and dispels.

>>Any chance you can move debilitation to train similar to TM?

I thought it did? I haven't really been in the magic exp code, but that was my understanding of how it works already.

>>Any chance you can have rend/dispel remove cyclics?

I had a proposed spell awhile back for dispelling cyclics, but it ended up creating a larger discussion about the interactions between cyclics and dispels that I'm not sure we ever resolved.

-Raesh

"The trouble with atheism, is that it offers a limited range of curses.” - Two Serpents Rise
Re: Rend and Dispel updates 07/20/2015 01:04 PM CDT
>>Shear

>>> Hmm. Dunno on that one. Sounds like a project for when we dig deeper into integrity barriers and dispels.

I did some more testing. Self cast rend/dispel both trigger shear, but no stun.

However, a person casting dispel on me does not trigger ANY form of Shear. I think because they lost the SvS contest.

> perc
Katamba is dominant, Yavash is moderate, while Xibar's influence is weak.
Moonlight Manipulation and Perception spells are favored.
You sense the Gauge Flow spell upon you, which will last for about thirty-six roisaen.
You are surrounded by a strong Shear spell, which should last for about twenty-two roisaen.
You remember a way to combine the weaves of the Spring symbiosis with another spell.
Roundtime: 3 sec.
R>

XXX gestures at you.
Rays of dim grey light shine forth from XXX's hand steadily. For several moments, your world is cast in a sharp sheen of blacks and whites as an uncomfortable feeling sets in.

You fend off the disturbingly intrusive spell.

>

>>Any chance you can move debilitation to train similar to TM?

>>> I thought it did? I haven't really been in the magic exp code, but that was my understanding of how it works already.

It's based on the success of the contest, not creature level. So if you train the contesting stat, you will stop learning debilitation. This may not be a problem at all exp levels, but I trained my 35th circle necromancer out of debilitation range. His debil stopped training at roughly 115 where the same creature TM is around 150.

>>Any chance you can have rend/dispel remove cyclics?

>>>> I had a proposed spell awhile back for dispelling cyclics, but it ended up creating a larger discussion about the interactions between cyclics and dispels that I'm not sure we ever resolved.

Mmmm. Well if you've ever tried to fight a warrior mage with Aether Cloak or an empath with regenerate, its quite irritating.

And shouldn't sleep/stun be removing cyclics? That doesn't seem to work either. I guess the only way to dispel a cyclic currently is with a concentration hit... of which there is 1 ability? (thief clout)
Re: Rend and Dispel updates 07/20/2015 02:02 PM CDT
>>It's based on the success of the contest, not creature level. So if you train the contesting stat, you will stop learning debilitation.

Ahh. TM learning isn't based on creature level either, but skill contest result, you just don't see such a wide variety like you do with stat growth since stat growth is weird.

That ties back into some known issues with Debilitation we've been discussing.

-Raesh

"The trouble with atheism, is that it offers a limited range of curses.” - Two Serpents Rise
Re: Rend and Dispel updates 07/20/2015 05:13 PM CDT
<<Rend is pretty amazing. Getting rid of 2 spells is twice as good as dispel! Also it doesn't proc shear. Yay.

Which is great if you PvP at all. Rend is mostly pointless in PvE.

Epedia Admins - https://elanthipedia.play.net/mediawiki/index.php/Elanthipedia:Administrators
Re: Rend and Dispel updates 07/20/2015 05:33 PM CDT
Sigh. I just heard about Rend being good for training. I'm not even being hyperbolic when I say MM debilitation training is one of the most annoying skills I know of to train in the game, edged out probably only by Thievery. I would rather train Theurgy. Well, I guess I should just turn to sorcery. MM's are metaphysical wrecking balls anyway.

- Saragos
Re: Rend and Dispel updates 07/20/2015 06:56 PM CDT
>Well, I guess I should just turn to sorcery. MM's are metaphysical wrecking balls anyway.

Demrris' Resolve scrolls are expensive but worth it. DMRS is also the best debilitation trainer imo. (Unless they divorce mind shout from moonbeams.)

Vote:
http://www.topmudsites.com/vote-DragonRealms.html
Re: Rend and Dispel updates 07/20/2015 07:41 PM CDT
>> Demrris' Resolve scrolls are expensive but worth it. DMRS is also the best debilitation trainer imo. (Unless they divorce mind shout from moonbeams.)

What about viscous solution? And doesn't it depend on your stats? My mentals are too high on my elothean so I think I need to pick up a reflex or fortitude.

This is probably why moon mages hate training debilitation, since our int/wis/disc are usually quite high and the defending stat of the creatures is probably lower. I can't imagine creatures high have willpower saves. Presumably, Their fortitude/reflexes would be a lot higher so it might teach better.

I don't think it's well known that training mentals impedes your debilitation training. Did they remove weighting from SvS stats? I heard it was removed but Epedia doesn't mention it.

I bet Thunderclap would work amazing since it's magic vs. fortitude. I think I might have a few I can test with unleash later tonight.
Re: Rend and Dispel updates 07/20/2015 08:21 PM CDT
> I bet Thunderclap would work amazing since it's magic vs. fortitude. I think I might have a few I can test with unleash later tonight.
I can confirm that Thunderclap is great. I personally prefer Frostbite, which seems to train just as well while still allowing critters to swing at me, while making them hit more weakly from the fatigue hit.

Perhaps I'm spoiled by WM magic on my main character. Perhaps I'm just inordinately bothered by situation availability, but even when they do work, MM spells seem to train poorly. Ah well.

- Saragos
Re: Rend and Dispel updates 07/20/2015 08:30 PM CDT
<<Did they remove weighting from SvS stats? I heard it was removed but Epedia doesn't mention it.

https://elanthipedia.play.net/mediawiki/index.php/Contested_abilities

Contest Stat "Weighting"
Attack ClassPrimary StatSecondary StatTertiary Stat
MindIntelligenceDisciplineWisdom
MagicWisdomIntelligenceDiscipline
SpiritWisdomCharismaIntelligence
CharmCharismaDisciplineIntelligence
FearCharismaStrengthDiscipline
PowerStrengthDisciplineStamina
FinesseAgilityReflexIntelligence

The defence side of the contest also has weighting but it's less explicitly stated.

Defense ClassPrimary StatSecondary StatTertiaryStat Other Conditions
ReflexesReflexAgilityIntelligenceAlso affected by incapacitating conditions (prone, webbed, etc).
FortitudeStaminaDisciplineStrengthAlso affected by vitality, spirit, and fatigue.
WillpowerDisciplineWisdomIntelligenceAlso affected by nerve damage, stuns/unconsciousness, and Khri Serenity, and Cunning.

I believe the order the stats are listed on the individual contest's page is in the order of weighting, but I haven't confirmed that.

Re: Rend and Dispel updates 07/20/2015 09:27 PM CDT
They are weighted in order with the first being the most important to the last being the least important. I think the power attack contest changed order recently but I don't have my notes to compare if E-pedia is right at the moment.
Re: Rend and Dispel updates 07/22/2015 12:29 AM CDT
>> I can confirm that Thunderclap is great. I personally prefer Frostbite, which seems to train just as well while still allowing critters to swing at me, while making them hit more weakly from the fatigue hit.

Frostbite is absolutely horrible for me. :( Also it doesn't teach any differently then my mental spells. This guy must just have terrible debil defense.

It knocks everyone on the ground and they don't attack for a good 3 minutes and counting. Maybe I broke them. Its dodge/parry spam + occasional magic. Could be related to the magic casting logic. the bucca doesn't seem to bothered.

> cast
You gesture.
Ice crystals begin to form in the air.
A malodorous bucca gasps in shock as its body is completely coated in a layer of frost!
A malodorous bucca collapses to the ground!
A young cave troll gasps in shock as its body is completely coated in a layer of frost!
A young cave troll collapses to the ground!
A young cave troll gasps in shock as its body is completely coated in a layer of frost!

Roundtime: 3 sec.

R>
You feel fully rested.
>
The malodorous bucca climbs to its feet.

>
A young cave troll climbs to its feet.

>
A young cave troll gestures at you.
A young cave troll stomps the ground heavily with its massive foot as it completes its incantation!
A small stone rock rips itself free of the earth, then splits into two jagged shards and hurtles toward you!
You block the first shard with your diamond-hide shield.
You block the final shard with your diamond-hide shield.
>
A young cave troll roars as it leaps to its feet.

>
The cave troll moves into a position to parry.
>
>
A young cave troll stands and glances about suspiciously, rubbing its backside.

>
You've gained a new rank in using melee weapons.
>
The cave troll moves into a position to dodge.
>
>
* With pathetic timing, a malodorous bucca claws at you. You block solidly with a diamond-hide shield edged with a tyrium band.
[You're solidly balanced and in better position.]
>
>
* Awkwardly, a malodorous bucca claws at you. You block solidly with a diamond-hide shield edged with a tyrium band.
[You're solidly balanced and have slight advantage.]
>
>
A young cave troll stomps the ground heavily with its massive foot as it completes its incantation!
A small stone rock rips itself free of the earth, then splits into two jagged shards and hurtles toward you!
You manage to get out of the way of the first shard!
You manage to get out of the way of the final shard!
>
>
>
* As if effort and skill were a bad thing, a malodorous bucca claws at you. You dodge.
[You're solidly balanced and in better position.]
>
>
>
You are still rather wet, but drying off nicely.
>
>
>
>
>
A malodorous bucca spits a glob of black slime into its hands and smoothes out the hair atop its head with a wild giggle.
>
>
You feel fully attuned to the mana streams again.
>
A young cave troll bellows in rage.
>
>
* Tentatively, a malodorous bucca claws at you. You block solidly with a diamond-hide shield edged with a tyrium band.
[You're solidly balanced and opponent has slight advantage.]
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
* Looking as if this were a bad idea, a malodorous bucca claws at you. You block solidly with a diamond-hide shield edged with a tyrium band.
[You're solidly balanced and opponent has slight advantage.]
>
>
>
>
>
>
A young cave troll stomps around angrily.
>
>
>
A young cave troll stomps around angrily.
>
>
* Apparently without direction or thought, a malodorous bucca claws at you. You block solidly with a diamond-hide shield edged with a tyrium band.
[You're solidly balanced with opponent in better position.]
>
>
>
** First physical attack **
* With pathetic timing, a young cave troll feints to the side at you. You dodge, twisting easily away from the blow.
[You're solidly balanced with opponent in better position.]
>
>
>

* Ineptly, a young cave troll bashes a war hammer at you. You evade, jumping to one side.
[You're solidly balanced with opponent in superior position.]
>
>
A young cave troll stomps its foot with a loud "THUD!"
Re: Rend and Dispel updates 07/22/2015 08:11 AM CDT

Where is the complaint here? Yeah, they didn't swing their fists, but were using spells the whole while. Magic casting critters are always strange compared to players. The bucca, which doesn't have spells, went back to swinging at you as soon as it stood up.
Re: Rend and Dispel updates 07/22/2015 11:54 AM CDT

>> Where is the complaint here? Yeah, they didn't swing their fists, but were using spells the whole while. Magic casting critters are always strange compared to players. The bucca, which doesn't have spells, went back to swinging at you as soon as it stood up.

Are you serious?

Before frostbite, they swing 24/7 with occasional magic. When you use frostbite they stop swinging altogether and stand there, either casting, or use/dodge parry. As you should probably realize, this makes frostbite unusable since I would literally get 0 exp if I continued to cast frostbite on these creatures.
Re: Rend and Dispel updates 07/23/2015 11:42 AM CDT
I'd probably need more examples from a critter that doesn't use magic. From your example I'm pretty sure the cave trolls weren't swinging because they were casting spells, not because they were too tired to attack since the bucca was still swinging.

tl;dr TM casting critters are dumb and bad for training.
Re: Rend and Dispel updates 07/23/2015 11:49 AM CDT
It depends in the critter too - Malchata for example have been great for me for training, but there are usually enough of them that they are attacking as often as they cast, and I don't think I have ever seen them backfire spells, so it is possible they aren't doing normal magic stuff like critters do where they stand there during spell prep doing nothing, and thus not teaching.

- Starlear, Warrior Mage and Lieutenant of Ilithi's Crystal Vanguard -
Re: Rend and Dispel updates 07/23/2015 01:52 PM CDT
You know, I went back and watched more closely what my current training routine was doing to critters, and you're right - Frostbite does significantly reduce the attack rate of creatures, though it doesn't shut it down entirely. However, that's completely not an issue for me, for a few reasons.

1) I gain a lot of experience from each cast - 2 to 3 mindstates - so I'm not using Debilitation for long.

2) I'm weapons secondary, armor and survival tertiary, and where I hunt defenses are pretty much the first thing to lock.

3) I'm swinging my weapon while I'm debilitating, so I'm learning weapons a bit better.

4) I alternate TM/Debil every 5 mindstates gained so that they're both absorbing at the same time. As a result, I'm not loading all my my debil time together.

It's also worth considering that things may work differently with lower end critters.

- Saragos
Re: Rend and Dispel updates 07/23/2015 07:04 PM CDT
>>tl;dr magic casting critters are dumb and bad for training.

fixed, sadly!

Uzmam! The Chairman will NOT be pleased to know you're trying to build outside of approved zones. I'd hate for you to be charged the taxes needed to have this place re-zoned. Head for the manor if you're feeling creative.
Re: Rend and Dispel updates 07/23/2015 08:26 PM CDT
>> I'd probably need more examples from a critter that doesn't use magic. From your example I'm pretty sure the cave trolls weren't swinging because they were casting spells, not because they were too tired to attack since the bucca was still swinging.

>> tl;dr TM casting critters are dumb and bad for training.

Let's assume for a moment I wouldn't say "frostbite affects attacking" if the effect after frostbite was the same as the effect before frostbite.

These cave trolls have no issues with attacking and casting spells. In fact they are amazing for training, not "dumb" or "bad".

>>tl;dr magic casting critters are dumb and bad for training.

>>> fixed, sadly!

Fortunately, the cave trolls seem to have better scripts for casting spells. The cave trolls use both sure footing and stone strike and I have no issues with them not attacking. They seem to have no visible prep message. They either attack during PREP, or have no prep message. So its often "ATTACK ATTACK CAST ATTACK ATTACK CAST."

I think Forfedhar is one of the newest of the old areas, and so probably got some special attention considering almost every creature has some sort of special attack/spell. Or maybe someone updated the scripts when they redid that area. (I think it was redone recently.)

This is of course the exact opposite compared to the young trolls and rock in the crossing.

>> It's also worth considering that things may work differently with lower end critters.

Definitely. There is something wrong with their debilitation teaching. My debil stopped at 113 and TM at 143ish. I suspect I'm completely outclassing them and utterly destroying their stamina with frostbite. This forces them into 100% spell casting routines. (Even though fatigue should stop casting...)
Re: Rend and Dispel updates 07/23/2015 09:01 PM CDT
>>These cave trolls have no issues with attacking and casting spells. In fact they are amazing for training, not "dumb" or "bad".

I'll agree that mobs like cave trolls and yellow gremlins are better at actually fighting as they cast spells, but my main issue is that I don't believe magic attacks teach defenses well enough (or sometimes at all) to warrant the extra risk associated with them compared to normal physical attacks. I think special attacks fall under this same umbrella, though.

Uzmam! The Chairman will NOT be pleased to know you're trying to build outside of approved zones. I'd hate for you to be charged the taxes needed to have this place re-zoned. Head for the manor if you're feeling creative.
Re: Rend and Dispel updates 07/24/2015 02:57 AM CDT
>> I'll agree that mobs like cave trolls and yellow gremlins are better at actually fighting as they cast spells, but my main issue is that I don't believe magic attacks teach defenses well enough (or sometimes at all) to warrant the extra risk associated with them compared to normal physical attacks. I think special attacks fall under this same umbrella, though.

Yeah, it's strange why they are so good while others are so bad. I would be surprised if magic taught exp at all. And even more surprised if special attacks did. And I absolutely agree, most of the time special attacks aren't worth being around (e.g. frostweyer bears before they turned the breath attack off). But for whatever reason the cave trolls are just hilariously bad. I almost died one time when I got a shard lodged in my chest when I wasn't paying attention, but otherwise stone strike is really weak.

And their spawn is stupidly good, I'm not sure if they have always spawned like this, or if it was a result of the fixes to the area awhile ago. I have a hunch it has something to do with all the CLIMB/GO exits. They seem to only spawn in the room Im in, which basically means a constant stream of 1-3 trolls. It's hard to tell if they spawn elsewhere because hunt doesn't work with all that climb/go exits.

The constant 1-3 mobs make even decent casting monsters worth it. But unfortunately they have a very small training window and teach some skills very very poorly, so I'm already gone.
Re: Rend and Dispel updates 07/24/2015 07:44 AM CDT
I'm not sure what's going on with critter magic and critter special attacks (or if I should even mention both in the same sentence), but I've always found it completely out of whack with the critters physical skills. My barbarian for example shifted up to seordmoars, who couldn't touch him by a mile with their physical attacks, but were doing enormous damage with their lightening bolt and landing tingle pretty regularly. My Necromancer couldn't be touched by DP Zealots, but that damn chain attack hit about 50% of the time, making him bleed and fall over with a stun.

The list goes on and on. I can understand that contested spells might be successful when the critter attacks aren't (in some cases anyway, my necro had very high reflex and mentals), but I don't understand why critter TM is so significantly more successful.
Re: Rend and Dispel updates 07/24/2015 12:13 PM CDT
>> I'm not sure what's going on with critter magic and critter special attacks

I completely agree with you. I've had some terrible experiences. I think critter magic is supposed to run through the main magic system now, so you might be able to explain some of these with recent mechanic changes.

Special attacks though... good LUCK. Haha.

>> lightning bolt

Probably related to the armor changes. It's crazy how good lightning is when your armor is rocking 2s and 3s.

>> tingle

Super easy to land, probably super high stats that weren't relevant in old magic, never adjusted to new SvS and magic.

>> special attacks

I want to try hunting ice adders with my necromancer but I'm pretty sure I'm going to get wrecked by that ice breath. Don't have access to PFE or Mantle of flame. I wonder if any other barriers help? :(
Re: Rend and Dispel updates 07/24/2015 03:38 PM CDT
>> And their spawn is stupidly good, I'm not sure if they have always spawned like this, or if it was a result of the fixes to the area awhile ago. I have a hunch it has something to do with all the CLIMB/GO exits. They seem to only spawn in the room Im in, which basically means a constant stream of 1-3 trolls. It's hard to tell if they spawn elsewhere because hunt doesn't work with all that climb/go exits.

Did someone fix this? :( YOU ARE ON MY LIST.
Re: Rend and Dispel updates 07/24/2015 04:32 PM CDT
La'tami have quite a lot of climb exits and as a result that area is terrible to hunt in (no HUNT to them, spawn in other rooms, etc.). The cave trolls might have a totally different spawn setup, just noting that non-cardinal directions can make a hunting area worse.

If you had a bad day there, maybe there was another player in a room you didn't see because of the blocked HUNT.
Re: Rend and Dispel updates 07/24/2015 07:37 PM CDT

>> La'tami have quite a lot of climb exits and as a result that area is terrible to hunt in (no HUNT to them, spawn in other rooms, etc.). The cave trolls might have a totally different spawn setup, just noting that non-cardinal directions can make a hunting area worse.

>> If you had a bad day there, maybe there was another player in a room you didn't see because of the blocked HUNT.

Yeah, I think that's what happened. All that talk and people came to try it out.
Re: Rend and Dispel updates 07/25/2015 11:42 AM CDT
>cave trolls

If you're talking about young cave trolls in the tommyknocker caves, there's only like 4 rooms so...

The cave trolls on ain ghazal I've been hunting for literally years now. As far as I can tell there are multiple spawn points in the major 'sections' of the hunting grounds. Basically the main tunnel, southwest branch, southeast branch, down the 'way down', through the opening (and probably through the premie opening as well, never been there), down the hole. The southwest branch is pretty long, I think there's a spawn point midway and then you get stuff trickling in from the main tunnel.

Just in general it seems like the higher up the critter ladder you go, the more you have to deal with special attacks. From what I've seen, 'dealing with the special attacks' just means you need to keep your shield up and neglect parry training.
Re: Rend and Dispel updates 07/25/2015 11:55 AM CDT
There's also 4-5 rooms of them in the Dirge mines.

Re: Rend and Dispel updates 07/25/2015 02:28 PM CDT
>> Cave troll spawns

Cool, thanks! I wasn't aware there were multiple spawn locations

>> Just in general it seems like the higher up the critter ladder you go, the more you have to deal with special attacks. From what I've seen, 'dealing with the special attacks' just means you need to keep your shield up and neglect parry training.

FYI, the automatic use of shield when parry is at 0% worked for stone strike. Does it not work for special attacks?
Re: Rend and Dispel updates 07/25/2015 02:30 PM CDT
Special attacks are... special.

Re: Rend and Dispel updates 07/25/2015 07:27 PM CDT
<I'm not sure what's going on with critter magic and critter special attacks (or if I should even mention both in the same sentence), but I've always found it completely out of whack with the critters physical skills. My barbarian for example shifted up to seordmoars, who couldn't touch him by a mile with their physical attacks, but were doing enormous damage with their lightening bolt and landing tingle pretty regularly. My Necromancer couldn't be touched by DP Zealots, but that damn chain attack hit about 50% of the time, making him bleed and fall over with a stun.

Seordmaor are pretty crazy with the LB, With my MM I went to hunt them a while back when warklin didn't spawn worth a crap, they landed LB quite to much and did enough nerve damage to make them unhuntable with a magic primary character.
Re: Rend and Dispel updates 07/25/2015 08:35 PM CDT
>>Seordmaor are pretty crazy with the LB, With my MM I went to hunt them a while back when warklin didn't spawn worth a crap, they landed LB quite to much and did enough nerve damage to make them unhuntable with a magic primary character.

I hunted there for a while with my MM too. The LB was indeed nasty but I managed to tough it out, so I wouldn't call them unhuntable. I think it helped that I switched to armor with high electric protection.

- Navesi
Re: Rend and Dispel updates 07/26/2015 02:02 AM CDT
Back when i hunted Seordmaor i just kept Shear up at all times and had no problems at all.